PDA

View Full Version : Three way title fight between Hamilton Rosberg and Vettel

Nitrodaze
10th February 2016, 14:20
Alain Prost thinks a three way fight between Hamilton, Rosberg and vettel is good for F1. It would definitely be good for Vettel as well. As his chance of stealing the title depends on either the Mercedes engine suddenly being underpowered compared to the Ferrari or the two Mercedes drivers squabble on track and leaving the door open for him to sneak into a winning position.

But is it going to be a three way fight? Makes you wonder if Kimi has anything to say about this. There is also the question of whether Honda can work a spectacular magic for Mclaren. Now, this is appetizing, having Alonso and Button in the mix would certainly spice things up.

Ferrari has been making noises that suggest that they think they would be much more closer to Mercedes than they were last year. Mercedes certainly expects Ferrari to make big strides. but it would be crazy to imagine that the current champions are not doing what it takes to ensure they remain firmly in front this season. As Andy Benson suggested, Mercedes' weakness lay in their driver management. Somehow, l cannot see an equal status between their drivers being a workable strategy if Ferrari's two drivers are close enough to hassle the Mercedes pair. Whatever the case, l can't wait to see how things would unfold this year.

Zico
10th February 2016, 22:21
If Merc are still as dominant this year, anyone else think they might give Nico the boost he needs to clinch his first WDC?

Hammy has had his glory, I have a hunch that its Nicos turn this year.

You read it here first. ;)

Stan Reid
10th February 2016, 23:41
It sounds like Prost is saying the battle will be between two good cars and one good driver.

Mintexmemory
11th February 2016, 01:20
2 good cars, 2 good drivers - not both necessarily in the same make!! Rosberg is never going to be a champ

Tazio
11th February 2016, 02:28
But is it going to be a three way fight? Makes you wonder if Kimi has anything to say about this.
My money says Kimi gets wasted by his teammate again, like last year, and the year before. :dozey:

jens
11th February 2016, 08:59
Retrospectively I find it amazing, how did we have 5 (!) title contenders back in 2010. Seems like a pipe dream nowadays.

Rollo
11th February 2016, 11:48
Because the engine freeze is still in place. I don't really see anyone getting close to Der Silberpfeil.

Rosberg also seemed pretty defeated in '15. If he gets a good start and wins say three on the trot, then maybe he might have the fight to carry on?

Big Ben
11th February 2016, 14:18
Retrospectively I find it amazing, how did we have 5 (!) title contenders back in 2010. Seems like a pipe dream nowadays.

And in 2011 the DRS was introduced to enhance the show :rolleyes: . What can I say, I've been so entertained ever since I'm speechless. Give them all more millions, they are all geniuses

Nitrodaze
11th February 2016, 23:33
2 good cars, 2 good drivers - not both necessarily in the same make!! Rosberg is never going to be a champ

If Rosberg can be consistent this season, he may be able to take the fight to the wire at least. At which point anything is possible. If Hamilton is problem free, it would be a real test of composure and determination for Rosberg. Can he do it? I would say it is possible but Hamilton may have to help him with some DNFs and driver errors. On straight fight, l really don't know. With Vettel in the mix, Rosberg's chance increases and decreases further in even measure. As Vettel would make the Merc drivers pay dearly for days they are having a bad form.

Koz
12th February 2016, 05:14
If Merc are still as dominant this year, anyone else think they might give Nico the boost he needs to clinch his first WDC?

Only if Lewis signs on to replace Kim.

Nitrodaze
12th February 2016, 20:26

Would Merc risk losing Hamilton just to give Rosberg a leg up? It would be the daftest managerial decision in recent time that would. Probably 2nd to Mclaren introducing a new car when they already had a dominant car in 2009.

Nitrodaze
13th February 2016, 14:17
Some things that may make this 2016 season interesting can be summarized as follows:

1. Ferrari closing up to Mercedes - Vettel harrassing the Mercedes pair and stealling wins when Merc or its drivers drop the ball.
2. increased choice of tyre compounds for the teams. Strategy is slightly more diverse now as different teams could be running different compounds, thus running different stints and pit stopping at different times to other team with varying advantages and disadvantages.
3. Maclaren-Honda Renaisance - If Honda can find the elusive 2 seconds Alonso wants they could be in the mix at the sharp end of the grid.
4. Rosberg carrying forward is good form from the end of last season into the beginning of this season. Ensuring a strong rivalry fight on track between Hamilton and Rosberg; with the chance that Vettel join in the fight regularly.
5. Verstapenn on Ferrari power - On paper, the Toro Rosso may outpace the Renault shod Redbull. But more interesting is seeing what Max Verstapenn would do with a better car this season, is tantalizing.
6. Magnussen vs Palmer is one pairing that might be produce some interesting racing
7. HAAS - Do they surprise or do they turn out to be a damp squib. Grosjean is not a big name like Alonso or Button, hence it would be interesting to see the impact of his gamble to go Haas.
8. Redbull - So Renault continues to supply Redbull with engines but protects their brand by only supplying rebranded engines to Renault. When the engine blows up or is underpowered, l wonder if TAG Heuer as the engine brand would take the all too familiar Horner sting. I am sure any mention of Renault in the breath of complaining about the engine would have legal repercussions. It would be quite amusing to listen to Redbull media comments this season.
9. Can Manor take the fight to Sauber and also ensure they do better than Haas. It would a real egg in the face for Manor, if the new Haas team out performs them and their Mercedes engine. Hence the battle at the tail end of the grid may prove to be exciting for a change.

Zico
16th February 2016, 00:48
Would Merc risk losing Hamilton just to give Rosberg a leg up? It would be the daftest managerial decision in recent time that would. Probably 2nd to Mclaren introducing a new car when they already had a dominant car in 2009.

Hmm... if they still have a totally dominant car this year would it really be that much of a risk? Unless Lewis got wise to what was happening of course.

Merc would never slap their playboy superstar driver down to humble him a little and also have 'German' WDC though. No, if it happens it will be purely on merit of course. ;)

N. Jones
16th February 2016, 21:39
it's going to be another Merc dominated year. I do not see anything to the contrary.

Nitrodaze
16th February 2016, 21:50
Well testing has not started yet, there may be surprises ahead ;-)

driveace
4th March 2016, 22:23
Status quo Think Hamilton is a better racer,and the challenge will come from Vettel .Rosberg may steal a race or two ,but Hamiltons performance at the end of Last season was planned to make sure Rosberg was 2nd in the Championship of drivers .So I don't expect him to dominate Hamilton

The Black Knight
7th March 2016, 08:29

I wouldn't say that now. I still don't understand why people don't rate Rosberg as champion material. He's the only person to have beaten Michael Schumacher in the same machinery, he's certainly been the closes team mate to Hamilton that Hamilton has ever had. I think he's fantastic. The unfortunate thing for him is that he's up against someone like Hammy who is exceptional. I think he's definitely WDC material but maybe not while Hammy is his team mate but I guarantee you that he'd beat the Kimi of 10 years ago.

As for the title fight this year, it looks like it will be Vettel vs Hamilton. If Hammy brings his A game again this year, unlike the end of last year, then with Ferrari looking as close as they are it's likely that the points gap between Hamilton and Rosberg will be larger and he won't be able to hang on for as long with Vettel and Kimi taking points off him.

It will probably be a Vettel vs Hamilton year. Rosberg will have to up his game considerably to beat both of them. Looking forward to the start because it's looking unbelievably close in winter testing though I get the feeling that when Mercedes put on the softer tyre compounds and turn up the engine mode they will be slightly ahead, at least for the first couple of races.

The other thing to notice from testing is the improved Mclaren-Honda form. They look likely to be around 1.5 - 1.8 seconds off the pace but their base is much improved from last year. I am looking forward to seeing where they end up on the grid in Melbourne.

The Black Knight
7th March 2016, 08:32
Status quo Think Hamilton is a better racer,and the challenge will come from Vettel .Rosberg may steal a race or two ,but Hamiltons performance at the end of Last season was planned to make sure Rosberg was 2nd in the Championship of drivers .So I don't expect him to dominate Hamilton

Eh, no it wasn't and that's just pure baseless speculation. Hamilton himself admitted that he took his eye off the ball in a recent interview. Rosberg was simply faster toward the end of the season.

Mintexmemory
7th March 2016, 10:50
7. HAAS - Do they surprise or do they turn out to be a damp squid

Like the analysis Nitro but couldn't help a big LOL - the term is a 'damp squib'! Squib being a name for a certain type of firework, the full phrase being a spectacular as a damp squib' i.e. one that fails to go bang! (disappointing)
Afaik squids are always damp and therefore only to be expected ;-)

AndyL
7th March 2016, 12:07
Like the analysis Nitro but couldn't help a big LOL - the term is a 'damp squib'! Squib being a name for a certain type of firework, the full phrase being a spectacular as a damp squib' i.e. one that fails to go bang! (disappointing)

Everyone has a blind spot :D

Bagwan
7th March 2016, 16:39
Eh, no it wasn't and that's just pure baseless speculation. Hamilton himself admitted that he took his eye off the ball in a recent interview. Rosberg was simply faster toward the end of the season.

While he did admit this distraction recently , was it not a change in suspension components that were said to be the cause of Lewis's difficulties for the last races ?

The Black Knight
8th March 2016, 13:00
While he did admit this distraction recently , was it not a change in suspension components that were said to be the cause of Lewis's difficulties for the last races ?

Yes but, realistically, I think it was a mixture of both! That doesn't equate to a conspiracy though.

Nitrodaze
10th March 2016, 11:43

Well spotted buddy, I have a slight dyslexia which gives me problems with similar letters like b and d etc. And sometimes completely do not see 'o' and 'a'. Weird situation l have lived with since primary school.

jens
12th March 2016, 13:21
I expect the top 3 of the WDC standings to consist of HAM, ROS and VET indeed. But I am unsure, how much of a 'fight' that would be between the three. In 2015 more than 100 points separated Hamilton and Vettel in the end. So I am leaning towards not expecting a thrilling triple-fight.

zako85
13th March 2016, 09:18
In a lot of formal probability models when a future forecast is needed, the best forecast is that the event that follows the current event is most likely just like the current event. Pretty logical, isn't it? Except this conclusion can be justified with formal math. A class of such models is called martingales. Anyways, this is the situation we're observing right now for the 2016 season.