PDA

View Full Version : Front Number Plate Laws (UK)

speedy king
23rd April 2007, 20:15
My bolts in my front number plate have finally rusted away, plate come off and snapped. I was going to replace it anyway so have a brand new un drilled number plate but haven't got the drill piece the right size. I need the car for work (just get 10 minutes down the road) but am told it is legal if my new plate is on show, ie in the windscreen? I have it taped against the glass on show above the dashboard but would greatly appreciate an answer from anyone on here who may be in the know? I'm sure i've seen chav-mobils with their number plate there?

Hazell B
23rd April 2007, 21:18
We were once stopped for having the plate on the bonnet of a mini (which was common at the time, most had black stickers instead of a normal plate) as it wasn't legal.

Far as I remember, the plate has to be fixed to the front lower edge of a vehicle, as in under or on the bumper. Anything else isn't instantly visible and won't show at all on cameras. Your windscreen would glare in some sunlight, so having it inside is probably well beyond what the law says.

Mind you, any decent police officer wouldn't come down hard unless you were caught doing something very stupid on top of displaying the plate wrong.

Rollo
24th April 2007, 01:31
We were once stopped for having the plate on the bonnet of a mini (which was common at the time, most had black stickers instead of a normal plate) as it wasn't legal.

I concur.
http://www.freehomepages.com/o2r/64monte33ejb.jpg

The DVLA has this to say:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/displayofnumberplates.pdf

The piece of legislation that determines how the plates are to be displayed is here:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2002/20022687.htm

Now whilst it merely mentions that they must be clearly displayed at the front of the vehicle, it doesn't explicitly say where. I agree with Hazell in suggesting that behind the windshield glass is not clearly displayed - not good.

Iain
27th April 2007, 21:03
You could use double sided sticky pads instead of drilling it and screwing it on. That's quite a common way of attaching them to newer cars.

BDunnell
28th April 2007, 19:46
Isn't it the case that some car manufacturers have run into difficulties over this regulation? I have a vague recollection of Chrysler having trouble about the positioning of the front numberplate on the Viper when it first started being imported, though I may very well be wrong. I'm sure someone will remember.

Hazell B
28th April 2007, 20:22
Some sports cars have had to alter designs to fit in the UK plate at the front, too. One was mentioned on Top Gear years ago, though I can't remember which. They'd had to flatten the valance at the front to make space, ruining the look.

BDunnell
28th April 2007, 20:39
This is something that a lot of concept car designs forget, to the detriment of the looks of any subsequent production versions.

Mark
30th April 2007, 08:00
Most cars take into account the fact they will have to have numberplates and incorporate it into the design so you don't notice. The fact that Alfa don't is just another aspect of what their cars are so ugly.

Iain
30th April 2007, 11:20
I'm sorry, did you just say Alfa Romeos are ugly? :s hock:

Brown, Jon Brow
30th April 2007, 11:36
BURN HIM!!!!!!!! :mad: :evil: :p :

Captain VXR
30th April 2007, 16:28
Face down...

BeansBeansBeans
1st May 2007, 12:50
Most cars take into account the fact they will have to have numberplates and incorporate it into the design so you don't notice. The fact that Alfa don't is just another aspect of what their cars are so ugly.

Madness. I had a go in a Brera at the weekend. It was beautiful both inside and out.

BDunnell
1st May 2007, 12:53
I'd never say that Alfas are ugly full stop, but the front numberplate positioning is unsightly.

BeansBeansBeans
1st May 2007, 13:03
I'd never say that Alfas are ugly full stop, but the front numberplate positioning is unsightly.

You see, I find it one of the most attractive features. I think I'm probably in the minority here though.

CharlieJ
1st May 2007, 21:03
Alfas ugly?????

badly built - yes

unreliable - yes

lousy driving position - yes

but ugly????? :eek: You cannot be serious :eek:

of course they would look better if you didn't have to have a front number plate :rolleyes:

pino
2nd May 2007, 07:07
I'm sorry, did you just say Alfa Romeos are ugly? :s hock:

Don't take notice, Mark still had some Spanish sangria left in his blood when he posted that :p : ;)

Daniel
3rd May 2007, 10:47
CAn we have a poll?

Should Mark be burnt FACE DOWN for saying Alfa's are ugly?

The options shall be as follows

Yes
Hell yes. Burn him twice over just to make sure :p

Hazell B
3rd May 2007, 20:37
CAn we have a poll?

Should Mark be burnt FACE DOWN for saying Alfa's are ugly?

Somebody really fat, ugly and bald by the age of 30 down our street has just bought an Alfa Spyder (sp?) soft top in yellow. It's actually made him far more attractive. He's offered to take me to a track day in it, bless him. His dad thinks it's ugly though :s

Feel free to suggest a mass burning, but I say Mark has the right to call 'em ugly. It just means he's ready to be a dad :p :

Daniel
3rd May 2007, 20:57
Somebody really fat, ugly and bald by the age of 30 down our street has just bought an Alfa Spyder (sp?) soft top in yellow. It's actually made him far more attractive. He's offered to take me to a track day in it, bless him. His dad thinks it's ugly though :s

Feel free to suggest a mass burning, but I say Mark has the right to call 'em ugly. It just means he's ready to be a dad :p :
You ought to watch out or Mark will have a poll suggesting you be burnt face down :p

Hazell B
3rd May 2007, 21:00
I get that a lot :p :