PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Superminis

Rollo
15th August 2015, 05:59
The 206 has gone off to the automotive dealership in the sky which means that I'm in the market for a new car.

Please impart your experience and wisdom upon any of the Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, Chevy Aveo, Kia Rio, Hyundai i20, etc etc etc.

I bow to your excellent knowledge and hope for brutal and heated discussion. There can only be only winner.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th August 2015, 11:36
Polo?

yodasarmpit
16th August 2015, 11:56
Have driven a couple of Fiestas, small engined versions as they were courtesy cars, and would advise to avoid - nasty interior, rubbish driving position, and lacklustre engine.
Space is a bit pants for it being a shopping trolley too.

Plus they look a bit meh, I imagine the Mazda would be similar (same car is it not?).

I'd be more tempted with one of the South Korean pluggers.

Rollo
17th August 2015, 13:22
Polo?

Polo in Australia comes with a Passat sized set of service costs. They also list for A$23.9K (on-road) as opposed to the next highest which is the i20 $23.5 and Yaris $20.4

Zeakiwi
18th August 2015, 02:22
I would probably have seen if another engine could have been found for the 206 off a wrecker and repaired the 206 petrol for the longer distances.
and bought a Nissan Leaf electric for the around town running if the town is small enough.

The Mazda 2 and the Suzuki Swift in the sporty models should be on your test drive list. The new model Yaris had ok reviews and worthy of a test drive.

You would need to find out how well the Honda Jazz go in your conditions/ service back up. The Honda Civic Type R manual - as a well serviced used car might be preferable to some of the suggestions above new.
I prefer the Zetec versions of the Fiesta and the Focus.

If the Yaris is too boring there is the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ, Mazda MX5, Honda S2000 etc.
In NZ there are all manner of used JDM Japanese imports - there are cars like the Blade Master G - a 4wd Corolla with a 300hp V6, even a Suzuki Swift 4wd.

The BMW Minis have their fans. I have seen people have relatively minor injuries after very bad accidents when in Minis usually not their fault and they have bought another BMW Mini.

Rollo
6th September 2015, 14:56
The eventual winner was the number 2.

2 - it's a magic number.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COM3F-VUwAAMaRz.jpg

This mountain is more famous in Australia than Mt Kosciuszko. It is famous because of 6.2km of the most feared tarmac in the world.

odykas
7th September 2015, 21:02
Peugeot 206 was descent compared to current supermini offerings.
There's none that I would be tempted to buy maybe except the Panda which is good value for money.