PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP, Turkey - Race report

Silver
22nd April 2007, 15:43
Stoner's surprising more than a few people. I had him down for one win this season... shows what I know!

Anyway, I've got a race report online here (http://www.motorbikesport.co.uk/2007_motogp_istanbul_review).

The Phantom
22nd April 2007, 16:52
Stoner seems to have found that something he needed - Ducati were most wise to sign him when they had the chance.

Vermeulen ran an amazing race, his inconvenient piggyback ride notwithstanding... he said after the race than one of his clip-ons was bent, and he still set the fastest lap of the race at the end? It's only a matter of time till he and Hopkins (who also had another cracker of a race) are running at the front consistently.

Great ride from Elias, who also seems to have found something in the last two races.

The underseat rear-facing camera on Rossi's bike clearly showed the tyre damage. Dismal to see Rossi dropping back on toasted tyres, I hope Michelin finds an answer soon! Otherwise it might end up a one horse race...

The Phantom
22nd April 2007, 17:28
A little on Stoner... from http://www.caseystoner.com.au/bio.php

"Between the ages of 6 and 14 Casey raced all over Australia, travelling with his father, mother and sister. In that time Casey won 41 Australian dirt and long track titles and over 70 State titles, riding up to 5 bikes at a meeting in different capacity categories. When he was twelve Casey raced the Australian Long Track Titles on the NSW Central Coast in 5 different categories with seven rounds in each capacity; a total of 35 races over the one weekend! He won 32 out of those 35 races and took five out of five Australian titles in the one meet."

http://www.caseystoner.com.au/photos/before_motoGP/image_21.jpg

As a 14 year old: "He went on to take out the English 125cc Aprilia Championship in 2000, in his first year of road racing."

A year later: "In 2001 Casey raced in both the English and Spanish (125)championships in the same year. Despite missing some English races due to clashes with Spanish rounds, he still managed to come second in both championships."

Silver
22nd April 2007, 17:48
What's interesting about Vermeulen is that the official timing has it at 36 seconds between him crashing and re-joining the race. At the end he was 26 seconds behind Stoner!

fatman
23rd April 2007, 02:23
Welcome to the forums Silver. Very nice site you have.

leopard
23rd April 2007, 07:40
Report I can make from here, that TV7 broadcast full race of all three classes from now on :up:

Hoping someday to have the same full coverage of WSBK

Anyone know Matteo an ex Supersport rider, he is now living here and speak our language fluently when he was appointed to be one of source, guidance of the race.

millencolin
23rd April 2007, 07:57
what a great race! Stoner was untouchable... but rossi... what a shocker.

and vermeulen, sooner or later he will be up the front and challenging. and i hope its soon!

cannonman
24th April 2007, 05:04
In your rider championship table, you have Elias listed as from Japan

The Phantom
24th April 2007, 05:59
and vermeulen, sooner or later he will be up the front and challenging. and i hope its soon!

Check it out - Monday testing at Istanbul, 'unofficial' times:

1 - Vermeulen 1'53.1
2 - Barros 1'53.2
3 - Stoner 1'53.3
4 - Elias 1'53.3
5 - Melandri 1'53.4
6 - Hopkins 1'53.5
7 - Capirossi 1'53.6
8 - De Puniet 1'53.6
9 - Hayden 1'53.8
10 - Rossi 1'54.0

Silver
24th April 2007, 19:59
Welcome to the forums Silver. Very nice site you have.

Thanks!

In your rider championship table, you have Elias listed as from Japan

D'oh... That'll teach me for copying a pasting a table and forgetting to change all the details... :o Thanks for the heads up!