PDA

View Full Version : technical question on a car race

citrus91
10th July 2015, 21:34
Hey yall,
I have an asphalt pure stock and when I dive into the corner there is a loud grinding/shaking sound. However, the other day I was backing it into the garage and it made the same sound. Power steering pump is good, finders are not rubbing, tire isn't hitting anything. Any help would be great, thanks.

Rollo
11th July 2015, 01:35
Relative to you, where is the noise coming from? In front, behind?

MY other questions are:
Does it happen when the car is hot or cold?
Does it happen under braking only, or under acceleration as well?
Does it happen a 5mph or 70mph?

(I feel like an episode of Car Talk - don't drive like my brother)

citrus91
11th July 2015, 22:08
Yes its definitely in front, it almost feels like a wheel hop. Hot/cold dosnt seem to matter anymore because when ever I move it now it makes the noise. It only happens when I turn the wheel, speed dosnt seem to affect it anymore either. It used to but I guess its getting worse because now it dosnt seem to matter.

Rollo
13th July 2015, 01:03
If it happens only while turning but not under acceleration or braking, then I'm guessing that it's not brake rotors or pads etc.
Problems with the power steering system usually come with whines because of loose belts or screeches because of bad pumps or lack of fluid.

The fact that it happens while turning and that there's a grinding sound, suggests CV joint issues to me. I'd be checking the boots to see if they're cracked or leaking.
If you want to attempt to look at replacing CV joints, you're going to need a pretty sturdy breaker bar or torque wrench.