PDA

View Full Version : Opel in Rally

M5
1st May 2015, 19:55
Opel has a long and proud history in Rallying. Many Asconas and Mantas have given much joy for drivers and fans.
After the Ascona 400 was history, they had a stint with the Kadett/Astra in F2000, and a quick appearence with a 4wd Calibra, then it was over, until the Adam came in cup and R2 version.

Hopefully we will also see them back in R5 in the coming years.

The many Opel fans deserve that the proud history gets another chapter!

Rallyper
2nd May 2015, 16:54
I think there so many fans wanting Opel back in the higher classes like WRC and R5, aren´t it?

So let´s hope we´ll see something happening soon!!

focus206
2nd May 2015, 18:44
Calibra, then it was over, until the Adam came in cup and R2 version.

Inbetween there were also Astra Kit Car (mostly active in UK as Vauxhall though) and Corsa S1600 with some JWRC appearences. And the "ghost" Corsa S2000. But the Adam R2 looks a very good car to me, let's hope it'll give them some confidence to aim for something more.

Jarek Z
3rd May 2015, 19:16
Inbetween there were also Astra Kit Car (mostly active in UK as Vauxhall though) and Corsa S1600 with some JWRC appearences.

Yeah, let's not forget Corsa S1600! It wasn't a bad car!
http://foto.rallyonline.pl/GALERIA/jarekz/polski2003/jz-rajdpolski35.jpg
http://foto.rallyonline.pl/GALERIA/jarekz/elmot2002/elmot2002_jarekz_42.jpg

Hartusvuori
5th November 2015, 11:33
Curiosity matter, but the only living Opel Corsa S2000 should compete in Finland next year. It is MSD's chassis 4, which was imported in pieces to Finland in October 2012. First chassis is spare parts to this, second chassis never went beyond bodyshell phase, third chassis travelled from Greece to Denmark and was destroyed in a garage fire. Finnish LTR-Racing has developed an evolution version of the engine and it has nouw 35 extra horsepowers compared to first engine and also +20 Nm torque. Xtrac transmission. This information is translated from an article in Vauhdin Maailma magazine.

OldF
5th November 2015, 13:31
It’s been a long project. From their news section.

http://www.ltr-racing.fi/ralli.html

Google translated.

03/20/2013:
The new Opel Corsa OPC S2000's construction is well underway. Tests have been done a lot of individual components and the MSD with the contents of the results are quite satisfactory. New elements provide a lot of mm. the engine, transmission and body. It is already known that in the past been plagued by the challenges are all history and all parties have a very tense atmosphere before driving fluids get to take things more clear. Among the new components of the 20% has already been the FIA. The Classification Board as acceptable and paper stock, as well as turnings becomes every day more. Overall, the new car will be seen in action, hopefully as early as June Rally Championship series.

Their cars.
http://www.ltr-racing.fi/rallikalusto.html

It says the Opel has a centre diff also. Hmm….

With 98E fuel 280 PS / 260 Nm. With racing fuel little bit more.

The Datsun 100A it’s an interesting one. 116 hp / 146 Nm.:)

Sulland
5th November 2015, 19:29
Any sense in the rumour that the Corsa R5 project is outsourced to a privat tuner?

Rally Power
6th November 2015, 03:24
Any sense in the rumour that the Corsa R5 project is outsourced to a privat tuner?

Maybe Pluto can confirm it...;)

R2 Adams were developed and build by Holzer Motorsport, that became a sort of rally partner for Opel (like Kissling Motorpsort's for track racing), so it's probable that the R5 Corsa can also be outsourced to them.

CWJ
6th November 2015, 09:42
Who says there is any Opel R5 project yet? I would like it but at the moment I don't even think there is a proper business case.

sindroms
6th November 2015, 11:07
Who says there is any Opel R5 project yet? I would like it but at the moment I don't even think there is a proper business case.

Yes, it exists and it is in development... That's enough.

CWJ
6th November 2015, 13:27
He might speak about a single prototype...

liposh
6th November 2015, 14:04
When Pluto said "development process is ON", then they are working on it, it is not sleeping. Well , it can take some while, but it is not sleeping.

Mirek
6th November 2015, 14:07
I haven't seen any kind of proof that it is actually ongoing and I don't believe until I see some. No matter what PLuto says.

Jarek Z
6th November 2015, 15:01
When Pluto said "development process is ON", then they are working on it, it is not sleeping.

Is PLuto developing the car himself or together with Holzer Motorsport? ;)

Mirek
6th November 2015, 15:30
Is PLuto developing the car himself or together with Holzer Motorsport? ;)

I would give anything to see something like PLuto developing a car :D:D:D

Jarek Z
10th November 2015, 15:59
Is this the factory Opel everybody is talking about? :)
http://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.php?id=1506&tx_yag_pi1[rm][albumUid]=1206&tx_yag_pi1[rm][galleryUid]=701&tx_yag_pi1[action]=submitFilter&tx_yag_pi1[controller]=ItemList&cHash=56d54e7cea466cfa00ae8589a1e8f0cf

markf8691
10th November 2015, 16:55
Is this the factory Opel everybody is talking about? :)
http://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.php?id=1506&tx_yag_pi1[rm][albumUid]=1206&tx_yag_pi1[rm][galleryUid]=701&tx_yag_pi1[action]=submitFilter&tx_yag_pi1[controller]=ItemList&cHash=56d54e7cea466cfa00ae8589a1e8f0cf

If only...lol

itix
12th November 2015, 10:26
The fact that Pluto is so stubborn but won't give any details out probably means he/she or a friend/acquaintance is involved in the supposed project... you'd kind of seem like an idiot if you kept insisting there is a project when there is naught but thin air!

Sulland
1st December 2015, 10:15
Is the Opel project planned for 2017, or is there no firm date for launch?

Jarek Z
21st December 2015, 15:10
Is the Opel project planned for 2017, or is there no firm date for launch?

I don't know, but I hope that when the car is finally launched, it will be possible to drive it like that :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxrWTZjtCXo

Sulland
20th May 2017, 11:10
You with noses closer into the Rally rumors. How much of a chance is there for Opel homologating this beauty
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocRcsGzBRXI
Did anyone here see it in the Portugal service park?

Fast Eddie WRC
20th May 2017, 12:13
You with noses closer into the Rally rumors. How much of a chance is there for Opel homologating this beauty
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocRcsGzBRXI
Did anyone here see it in the Portugal service park?

I think it's a real possibility. They have done so well in the Junior ERC with the R2 Adam I dont see why they wouldnt take the next step into the R5 class.

They also have a good chance to compete as there are only Peugeot as Manufacturer entries in the ERC. Opel also has two top guys in Ingram and Huttunen who could go into the car...

Sulland
20th May 2017, 17:20
Maybe also Bergkvist, if he still has a link to Opel?

Who has/ will Holzer use as development drivers?

Andre Oliveira
20th May 2017, 20:20
Bergkvist is Citroën C3 R5 oficial test driver.

macebig
20th May 2017, 21:33
Bergkvist is Citroën C3 R5 oficial test driver.

Citroen and Opel have the same owners now, so if the will is there, running an Opel Corsa R5 won't be an issue.

Sulland
20th May 2017, 23:18
I do not like where we are moving - with a few owners, with many brands and all power.
Options gets very few!!

ToughMac
21st May 2017, 05:53
Given that PSA are running customer programmes with their R5 cars there can't be really be conflicts as such. It would be a different scenario if they were running factory 'works' teams against each other.

dimviii
21st May 2017, 06:54
Teemu / Rallirinki‏*@HartusvuoriWRC
This picture of @HOLZERGRUPPE Corsa R5 slot in service park on Saturday raises questions: ____ Motorsport? Why is Opel brand covered.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAU-fQeWAAAN8f-.jpg

dodge33cymru
21st May 2017, 09:35
That is a really strange one indeed. Something feels not very right about this project unfortunately.

AndyRAC
21st May 2017, 10:44
Well, one has to conclude that Opel haven't given it their official blessing. One hopes that they will, but who knows?

mousti
21st May 2017, 11:11
For me that's not really a surprise Holzer declared directly that there must be first negotiations with Opel to get the car support from them and they it could be homologated as an R5. So it's normal they hide the Opel logo with no agreement yet.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st May 2017, 11:19
For me that's not really a surprise Holzer declared directly that there must be first negotiations with Opel to get the car support from them and they it could be homologated as an R5. So it's normal they hide the Opel logo with no agreement yet.

Spot on, but I believe the feedback from Opel has been very positive. :)

dodge33cymru
21st May 2017, 11:25
Spot on, but I believe the feedback from Opel has been very positive. :)
Why wouldn't they do all that in private though? Turning up with Opel Motorsport trucks and awnings but without their blessing is a very strange situation.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st May 2017, 12:03
Why wouldn't they do all that in private though? Turning up with Opel Motorsport trucks and awnings but without their blessing is a very strange situation.

They have their 'blessing', its just that Opel aren't committed yet.

PLuto
21st May 2017, 14:52
I do not like where we are moving - with a few owners, with many brands and all power.
Options gets very few!!

I think this is one of the biggest problems for motorsport...

Mirek
21st May 2017, 15:02

Could be connected to the recent takeover of Opel by PSA.

Rally Power
21st May 2017, 22:08

Like it was said, no opel logos on the tent and the trucks are the ones Holzer uses at ERC. There was room for doubts since day one: why the initial youtube videos weren't posted by Opel, once Holzer (the team behind R2 program) was ever a silent partner? It's now clear that the development and presentation of this R5 Corsa were done by Holzer initiative and Opel permission. I don't believe Opel will allow homologation if there's no official program (ERC or WRC2) attached, and for that to happen the new bosses (PSA) must give their green light. Fingers crossed!

Btw, I've seen the car at Exponor and it looks really great.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd May 2017, 13:50
Teemu / Rallirinki‏*@HartusvuoriWRC

According to @GronholmM, Jari Huttunen got permission from Opel Motorsport to enter @RallyFinland in Fabia R5, but he must use Opel overalls...

Simmi
24th May 2017, 08:04
Motorsport News today says they spoke to Opel, who confirmed that it has no plans to homologate any R5 spec rally cars.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th May 2017, 16:19
Motorsport News today says they spoke to Opel, who confirmed that it has no plans to homologate any R5 spec rally cars.

Nooooooooo... :bigcry:

Sulland
27th May 2017, 09:22
Well, it could be many reasons why MN got a no answer, so I would not close that door just yet.

But what does the manufacturers have to loose by saying yes?
If the project is a success they can use it commercially, if it is too slow, they can say they had nothing to do with it, made by private initiative.

electroliquid
27th May 2017, 13:33
But what does the manufacturers have to loose by saying yes?
If the project is a success they can use it commercially, if it is too slow, they can say they had nothing to do with it, made by private initiative.

Exactly, Opel has nothing to lose..

nafpaktos
27th May 2017, 13:58
The irrelevant people to our sport will see just a slow r5 opel.They will not understand if the initiative was private or official,so yes opel has things to loose.As for me of course i want opel to come back as a work team.

electroliquid
27th May 2017, 15:02
Irrelevant people doesn't see difference between R2 and R5 cars, so now they look at R2 Opel and think - Ohh Opel so much slower than Škoda/Ford/Subaru/Citroen/Toyota...And I can't imagine how possible Opel R5 could be so bad, that put a shame on whole manufacturer...

dupanton
27th May 2017, 18:19
Don't forget PSA has bought Opel...

Tom206wrc
3rd August 2017, 17:07
Since this week it's official, PSA now owns 100% Opel/Vauxhall ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
24th August 2017, 16:02
Holzer still showing their Corsa R5, this time at Barum:

https://twitter.com/ChrisIngramGB/status/900737056179195904

electroliquid
25th August 2017, 09:23
Holzer still showing their Corsa R5, this time at Barum:

https://twitter.com/ChrisIngramGB/status/900737056179195904

That could be good sign, right?

dupanton
25th August 2017, 10:09
No, not going to happen. There is no support from Opel, they can't homologate it without their support.

Mirek
25th August 2017, 11:12
Just standing next to the car. It looks like a finished product judging by the level of details which are way more polished and precise than how the prototypes of Peugeot and M-Sport looked like when they competed as zero cars.

The car has damper position similar to traditional M-Sport scheme. There are Reiger dampers and Alcon brakes. Seems the electronics is Bosch.

There are still Opel logos on it. Sad it likely won't ever compete.

electroliquid
25th August 2017, 11:35
Are there strong Opel market in Australia/NZ or in other APRC area countries? or there is only Holden brand? Could it compete as AP4 car like Mitsubishi R5?

pantealex
25th August 2017, 12:37
Are there strong Opel market in Australia/NZ or in other APRC area countries? or there is only Holden brand? Could it compete as AP4 car like Mitsubishi R5?

Opel is Opel only in Europa. (and Vauxhall in U.K)

JUF
26th August 2017, 06:54
Opel is Opel only in Europa. (and Vauxhall in U.K) Actually, Opel sells its cars in parts of Northern Africa and Southwest Asia as well... ;) But you don't see many of their cars there.

electroliquid
26th August 2017, 08:17
So is there any real options to see that car on stage if (and probably do) Opel won't homologate car? Some Opel lifetime rally drivers, dealer backed national teams, only rally show events? I mean doesn't Holzer had plan what to do with car or they just build it and hoped for the best? It would be strange these days...

Mirek
28th August 2017, 15:16
Thomas Holzer said in an interview with Mediasport on Barum rally that they were going to continue testing the Corsa R5. He said they were still at the start of the testing process and that they hoped Opel would provide the homologation even when the car was a private initiative of Holzer. Fingers crossed!