PDA

View Full Version : 21 years

Mark
1st May 2015, 14:20
Has it really been that long?!

journeyman racer
1st May 2015, 15:00
Sir Jack, Peter Brock, James Hunt, Roland Ratzenberger, Greg Moore, any other motor racing death. I often forget the date of their death. Quietly feeling embarrassed.

I never ever. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever. Ever forget May 1st.

airshifter
1st May 2015, 15:14
It seems like it was so much more recent.

At least he went doing something he loved, and had inspired so many. It's a shame the safety didn't ramp up sooner, but the fact that this shook so many has had a major impact on keeping those after him safe.

It's rather a tragedy that the man putting pressure on him that day is all but gone due to a freak accident after surviving so many years racing.

moto99
1st May 2015, 15:56
Actually 21 years and 1 day. Roland Ratzenberger died on April 30th. You should correct the title.

AAReagles
1st May 2015, 17:40
May 8 stuck out to me, but over years the significance of that date faded along with my interest with the sport. Times change, people change, I suppose.

Senna's passing cemented my disassociation of F1 even more so, not sure why. Wasn't a big fan of his, but I enjoyed watching him race.

The accident and the immediate aftermath of ER crews on the scene - unfold on live TV - was surreal. Then later on the confirmation of fatality was... well... unbelievable.

Only the next morning at work, with people who didn't follow the sport, asking me about Senna, did it sink in.

That's how big of an event that was - where even common folk took notice.

Jag_Warrior
1st May 2015, 21:15
Other than the deaths of family members, no death has affected me more than what I saw on television that day.

moto99
2nd May 2015, 00:15
The Fomula 1 has become so much safer after Senna's death.

moto99
2nd May 2015, 00:19
He was very dangerous. He said that 'God showed him way'. He was performing dangerous moves without thinking about consequences. In the end God showed him the final wall.

kfzmeister
2nd May 2015, 06:07
In the end God showed him the final wall.

Not sure that i agree with that. I think God sent Sid Watkins to tell him to not race and rather go fishing. Senna ignored that one......

AAReagles
2nd May 2015, 08:46
If Senna quit racing - at 34 - he may as well have been dead. He had too much talent to just sit idle.

Besides that, I'd be willing bet some here can relate to the addiction of speed. As Jim Clark was once quoted -"Racing is like smoking cigarettes. It gets into your blood."

Walk away? It's not that easy.

moto99
2nd May 2015, 10:39
It's 29 years since Henri Toivonen and Sergio Cresto passed away

Jag_Warrior
4th May 2015, 11:26
He was very dangerous. He said that 'God showed him way'. He was performing dangerous moves without thinking about consequences. In the end God showed him the final wall.

Newsflash: we're all going to die. It's just a matter of when and how. Senna died his way, doing what he loved. I hope to be so lucky when my time bell rings.

zako85
4th May 2015, 13:43
For me it is difficult not to speculate about what could have happened if Senna did not die on that awful day. In 1994 WDC, Hill lost to Schumacher just by a few points, and most of us believe that Senna was a lot better than Hill. There was a good chance that Senna could have won the 1994 title, but even if Senna did not win the 1994 title, I think he would have won in subsequent years. Things could have easily ended with both Senna and Schumacher concluding their careers with five WDC titles each.

Tazio
4th May 2015, 15:57
I hope they do this tastefully, it should be a real trip!

Swiss watch brand TAG Heuer is set to breathe new life into one of motorsport's most enduring legends next week, with the late Ayrton Senna to make an appearance in holographic form at a star-studded launch in downtown Barcelona.

In a move sure to draw comparisons to the appearance of an eye-popping three-dimensional recreation of murdered rapper Tupac Shakur at US music festival Coachella in 2012, the hologram will recreate the Brazilian in classic racing attire, dressed in overalls and with his helmet held beneath his arm. Using a sample of pre-existing audio, Senna will address the audience.

The event, to celebrate the 30th year of the Swiss brand's partnership with the McLaren Formula 1 team, will be held inside the Teatre Principal – the oldest playhouse in Barcelona – and will include appearances from double world champion and current team driver Fernando Alonso as well as Senna's niece, Bianca.

Senna was a TAG Heuer ambassador between 1988 and 1993.

Storm
11th May 2015, 07:29
Time flies. Unfortunately I never got the chance to see him race. F1 only came to our tele screens in the next year or so.