PDA

View Full Version : Villeneuve: Manor Should Be In GP2

DannyQ
25th April 2015, 16:25
http://motorsportcentral.co.uk/villeneuve-manor-should-be-in-gp2/

Is Villeneuve Right To Say Manor Should Be In GP2?

Yes
No

steveaki13
25th April 2015, 20:36
No.

F1 is full of teams way slower than the front cars. Its just these days we only have one of them. In the past the grid was evenly spread by 5 seconds. Now its split 0-1.5 seconds and Manor 5 seconds back.

F1 needs to encourage new young teams, not threaten them with being demoted.

Tazio
25th April 2015, 21:22
Any team that can pay the entry fee, design a car within the formula, and qualify within the 107% rule (or close to it) should be allowed to race. In recent years some teams have been granted a little latitude in this arena, and that is ok with me, but only because with the inclusion of them the grid is so small that these back markers don't present the type of problem that they might if their was 26 cars. F1 is so expensive, that if you actually develop a car to the formula and do not pose a danger to the rest of the field it makes sense to let them race imho.
Here is a little something that illustrates how much things in F1 have changed:

When F1 entry lists ballooned in the late eighties pre-qualifying sessions were held to weed out some of the slowest cars before the real action began.
Gabriele Tarquini suffered more than most at the hands of this cruel eliminator. Driving for such unfancied teams as Coloni, AGS and Fondmetal he failed to gain a place on the grid on 40 separate occasions. In 24 of those he suffered the indignity of failing even to qualify for qualifying!
Today it’s been 17 years since we last had a full grid of 26 cars at a Grand Prix. Given the current state of the world economy and the huge costs involved in running a Formula One team, the prospect of the grid being oversubscribed again seems a very distant one. This unwanted record is Tarquini’s to keep.

steveaki13
26th April 2015, 11:06
Agree Taz.

Sadly the days of F1 having 26 car grids is in the past unless things change and people at the top realise they need to make it easier to enter a team. Otherwise if all the manufacturers leave, F1 dies completely

I think there are major problems ahead.

zako85
26th April 2015, 12:05
It would have been cool to see how Manor would do with a Ferrari engine AND chassis.. Just saying

kfzmeister
26th April 2015, 16:50
It would have been cool to see how Manor would do with a Ferrari engine AND chassis.. Just saying

Aren't they slated to be sort of a McLaren B team, like Haas is going to be to Ferrari?

Btw, Haas must be breathing a sigh of relief, after seeing this year's Ferrari perform. It will be the basis of their first car next season......

journeyman racer
26th April 2015, 16:53
Just shut up JV

airshifter
26th April 2015, 17:16
I think Jacques has forgotten being with teams that struggle. In his case it happened in multiple series, and it seems he doesn't think those teams now deserve a chance.

Boo Jacques.

BDunnell
26th April 2015, 23:58
Agree Taz.

Sadly the days of F1 having 26 car grids is in the past unless things change and people at the top realise they need to make it easier to enter a team. Otherwise if all the manufacturers leave, F1 dies completely

I think there are major problems ahead.

Not just for F1, but all the FIA world championships. Drastic cost-cutting is needed across the board if they are not to stagnate completely.

Koz
27th April 2015, 00:32
JV is just pissed because they didn't offer him a seat.

Rollo
27th April 2015, 04:15
Not just for F1, but all the FIA world championships. Drastic cost-cutting is needed across the board if they are not to stagnate completely.

We can start by cutting Bernie Eccleston's cut of 23% of revenue and the FIA's cut of 30% of revenue and start funnelling that back into teams and venues.
FOPA provides zero value added as far as I can make out.

anfield5
27th April 2015, 23:03
We can start by cutting Bernie Eccleston's cut of 23% of revenue and the FIA's cut of 30% of revenue and start funnelling that back into teams and venues.
FOPA provides zero value added as far as I can make out.

+1

anfield5
27th April 2015, 23:05
It is rare in F1 that a new team arrives and is on the pace. Sauber are the last team to really achieve this (not including renamed teams like Red Bull etc). Any new team needs time to build up towards the mid field. If M&M are still way of the pace mid 2016, then maybe they are out of time, but at present, they deserve to be in F1

N. Jones
28th April 2015, 20:04
http://motorsportcentral.co.uk/villeneuve-manor-should-be-in-gp2/

Is Villeneuve Right To Say Manor Should Be In GP2?

Yes
No

Who cares what he has to say.

truefan72
29th April 2015, 09:06
everyone talks about cost cutting like there is no money in F1
create a proper revenue sharing system and F1 teams will never struggle again.

It's like here in the USA when they say there is no money for schools, arts programs or fund NASA, yet there is money for million dollar drones, new multi-billion dollar aircraft carriers that nobody wants (the navy included!) or needs and corporate welfare for the richest companies.

The point is, there is money there.It is about proper allocation, then teams like manor who have more than proven their commitment to stay in the top formula will never struggle again.

And also, I still blame mosley for his rigged/bribery system when those applications for 3 open slots where in play.

steveaki13
29th April 2015, 10:55
I don't ever think F1 should punish teams who want to spend fortunes to win, but it should be cheaper to enter and have a go.

IMO anyway