PDA

View Full Version : Bernie To Quit?

DannyQ
20th April 2015, 12:04
http://motorsportcentral.co.uk/bernie-i-would-step-down-to-bring-in-audi/

Whats are your thoughts on Bernie stating he would happily step down to bring in Audi to F1?

Tazio
20th April 2015, 15:00
I'd burn 100,000.02 USD if it meant Bernie stepping down,
with or without Audi :smokin:

airshifter
20th April 2015, 15:19
Another bluff. Bernie will leave when his health is gone.

And after watching some of the Silverstone endurance racing, I'm not sure we want Audi in F1. They might put a hurt on some of the big teams! Those cars were amazing, and a good display how a more opened up set of rules can result in some great on track action!

N. Jones
20th April 2015, 15:44
Never going to happen. He has F1 in the palm of his hand. He and his cronies are making millions.

N. Jones
20th April 2015, 15:50
Bernie - you let Monza drop and I'm done. No one cared about Magny-Cours and no one cares about the stunted Hockenheimring nor the Nurburgring.
Everyone cares about Monza!

Mark
20th April 2015, 16:14
It's about time VW came in. If nothing else we need another engine manufacturer in F1.

I wonder which of their many brands they would choose to use?

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2015, 20:55
Sure, he'd leave to get VAG/Audi in (although I think they have more than enough to keep them occupied right now... including a good shareholder/boardroom showdown). And once they'd devoted resources to an F1 program, just like a bad penny, within a year or so, Barney the Dinosaur would be right back... to save the sport from whatever made up scenario he and the CVC boys could dream up.

anfield5
20th April 2015, 21:54
http://cartype.com/pics/121/full/audi_logo_1.jpg !!

Koz
21st April 2015, 00:26

Sure, burn however much you want, just make sure we're paid first.

Hawkmoon
21st April 2015, 09:10
If Bernie's saying he'll quit to get Audi into F1 it's because he knows Audi have no interest in entering the sport. The guy is the ultimate car salesman who will try an sell us a shit sandwich and convince us it tastes good. The guy will die in the job before he quits.

A FONDO
21st April 2015, 10:23
Bernie will not quit (and he should not), that is just PR talk from him. The thing is that the VAG director who was strongly against him is about to be throwned out of the board in 2017 so VAG's entry in F1 becomes a bit more possible.

henners88
21st April 2015, 11:26
I really wish there wasn't a question mark at the end of this thread title. I nearly jumped out of my seat with joy lol.

Tazio
21st April 2015, 14:14
Sure, burn however much you want, just make sure we're paid first."sup Koz, how is that sleep disorder hangin'?
Don't worry scro' you're one of my dawgz, and will be taken care of in a expeditios manner. Let me know if you need an advance, because I wouldn't even charge you my normal 40% compounded daily.
The F.A.M. has your back, don't forget it. :smokin:

janvanvurpa
22nd April 2015, 03:41
If Bernie's saying he'll quit to get Audi into F1 it's because he knows Audi have no interest in entering the sport. The guy is the ultimate car salesman who will try an sell us a shit sandwich and convince us it tastes good. The guy will die in the job before he quits.

Tell 'im ya don't like bread.:idea:

Koz
22nd April 2015, 06:36
"sup Koz, how is that sleep disorder hangin'?
Don't worry scro' you're one of my dawgz, and will be taken care of in a expeditios manner. Let me know if you need an advance, because I wouldn't even charge you my normal 40% compounded daily.
The F.A.M. has your back, don't forget it. :smokin:

My sleep is just fine, thanks. I'm happy to wait till the end of the season, but I'm sure we'd be all more comfortable if you didn't start burning the monies just yet.

Btw, does the FAM prefer baseball or cricket bats?

Tazio
22nd April 2015, 13:31
Btw, does the FAM prefer baseball or cricket bats?:laugh:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTAjt9qD-W9E3BAR6-CMxOyDPf5J2X2QcqvvBVVoCo3di6fODdCA

:dozey:

journeyman racer
23rd April 2015, 12:24
Might as well stay on. Audi entering F1 would be the biggest anti-climax. A subplot to the soap opera that it is F1. Everyone would be used to their presence after 4 races, and be looking for the next story.

AAReagles
29th April 2015, 18:17
Bernie - you let Monza drop and I'm done.

It happened once before... Pity this problem wasn't resolved when the mugging occured. But how well would his replacement perform? Even if a satisfactory level of F1 returned, one might still wonder how long it would last.

There's even some speculation here in the states about how long american football can maintain a popular fan base. Particulary with younger generations.

It's sad, and pathetic of course, when people like Tony George
and Bernie Ecclestone have allowed themselves to become the worst enemies of such beloved institutions of speed they were intrusted with.

Hawkmoon
30th April 2015, 10:24
There's even some speculation here in the states about how long american football can maintain a popular fan base. Particulary with younger generations.

I think this is a real issue that many forms of entertainment face today. People have access to so much entertainment and less time to enjoy it. They have to choose what the want to consume. Sports are often a family tradition. Mum and Dad were Dolphins supporters to little Johnny grows up a 'Phins fan. The games are always on the TV, perhaps they're discussed at the dinner table. It's part of the family almost. Take that away and it can be hard to get back.

In Australia soon F1 will no longer be on free TV. There are many households that simply can't or won't subscribe to pay TV. F1 will become largely invisible to the next generation as they won't be seeing it every other Sunday. With so many other things to take it's place how will it force it's way back into the hearts and minds? I doubt it will unless the powers-that-be have an epiphany and realise that the more people who see the sport in as many ways possible the better. Instead they hide it behind pay walls.

I fear for this sport, really do.

journeyman racer
30th April 2015, 14:17
there's even some speculation here in the states about how long american football can maintain a popular fan base. Particulary with younger generations.

lol!

Rollo
30th April 2015, 14:29
Bernie - you let Monza drop and I'm done. No one cared about Magny-Cours and no one cares about the stunted Hockenheimring nor the Nurburgring.
Everyone cares about Monza!

Ferrari cares about Monza.

They might be tempted to walk out the F1 door and into the WEC if Monza were dropped.

DannyQ
30th April 2015, 14:59
an update for the VW/Audi saga

http://motorsportcentral.co.uk/vw-may-enter-f1-audi-says-not-yet/

Tazio
30th April 2015, 15:12
:stareup: :snore:

AAReagles
30th April 2015, 17:21
I think this is a real issue that many forms of entertainment face today. People have access to so much entertainment and less time to enjoy it. They have to choose what the want to consume.....

In Australia soon F1 will no longer be on free TV. There are many households that simply can't or won't subscribe to pay TV. F1 will become largely invisible to the next generation... how will it force it's way back into the hearts and minds? I doubt it will unless the powers-that-be have an epiphany and realise that the more people who see the sport in as many ways possible the better. Instead they hide it behind pay walls.

I fear for the future of the sport

Exactly. Throw in increasing prices for event tickets, merchandice, etc., and the sport becomes less appealing in a world (well aware) of economic inequality.

Jag_Warrior
1st May 2015, 21:28
I've been of the opinion for awhile that either CVC needs to invest in the business (and not just stuff money in their pockets) or they need to sell it to someone who actually cares about the long term health of Formula One. Private equity companies do not care about the long term health of any business that they invest in. That's just not what they do. In private equity time frames, their investment in F1 must be nearing its due date. Is John Malone still waiting in the wings? Would he install someone like Zak Brown to run (rebuild) the series? And I will assume that we're now done with the politically correct fantasy of having Monisha Kaltenborn take Bernie's place? A slickster is one thing (Bernie), but an incompetent slickster is yet another. Zak Brown is who I'd love to see in the big chair. I can't think of anyone who knows the business of global racing any better than he does.

Here's what Brown has to say about F1's recent issues:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/05/01/motor-racing-sponsorship-brown-idINKBN0NM47320150501

AAReagles
2nd May 2015, 03:48
"... attendance is down, tv ratings are down, car count (the number on the starting grid) is struggling... key performance indicators are all on a downward trajectory.... "

... add that to old man Potter's mindset of "no need" to attract the younger generation to F1 and you have a toxic recipe for your product.

So far I like this guy:

1) He's got a clear fix on the matter.

2) He's 43. Young enough... (yeah, I'm gonna there...) to relate to and appeal to a wider audience.

3) He's American, so he knows he'll be under the gun to get it right.

Besides that, could he do any worse ?

CNR
14th May 2015, 06:17
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/218114/1/vw-boss-exit-to-open-door-to-f1-entry.html
"Nobody's told me that [I was the reason they weren't entering],” he told team boss-turned-pundit Eddie Jordan, “If that is the case, I'll leave. I would be happy to step down if it brought those people in."