PDA

View Full Version : German GP 2015

Whyzars
21st March 2015, 05:00
I was reading yesterday where Hokkenheim may not have time to get its sh*t together and in 2015 there may not be a German GP.

It looks like its officially axed.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/formula-one/german-grand-prix-cancelled-fia-confirms-19-race-season-after-nurburgring-hockenheim-impasse/story-e6frf3zl-1227272401033

journeyman racer
22nd March 2015, 00:54
It's not really a German GP unless it's at the old Hockenheim anyway.

Rollo
22nd March 2015, 03:15
Good news for Fox Sports.
On free to air there will now be a gap from Jun 21 to Aug 23 where there's no F1. This suits Fox down to a T.

Whyzars
22nd March 2015, 07:19
Good news for Fox Sports.
On free to air there will now be a gap from Jun 21 to Aug 23 where there's no F1. This suits Fox down to a T.

I actually hadn't thought about our situation in Australia which makes the dropping of Germany even worse. :s

Two months mid season is too long and hopefully it won't stand.

Maybe we all need to genuflect in fawning worship of Mr Murdoch, that he might gift a FoxSports race to we, the unwashed masses. :D

I don't know the spectator capacity of the Hokkenheim circuit, but I did read somewhere that the attendance for 2014 raceday was down significantly - I think the article said 57,000. Maybe Hokkenheim just didn't think it was worthwhile when the option for 2015 was offered to them.

Strange when we consider that the race in 2014 had 4 German drivers and a German driver ultimately won in a German team car.

Germany is a very significant meeting to drop from the calendar.

Doc Austin
22nd March 2015, 16:44
Even the French Grand Prix is gone. It's not good to lose traditional venues.

Tazio
23rd March 2015, 02:31
:wave:

Tazio
23rd March 2015, 05:09
I was reading yesterday where Hokkenheim may not have time to get its sh*t together and in 2015 there may not be a German GP.

It looks like its officially axed.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/formula-one/german-grand-prix-cancelled-fia-confirms-19-race-season-after-nurburgring-hockenheim-impasse/story-e6frf3zl-1227272401033

:stareup: The Hun's have Austria, that's close enough! :crazy: ;)

henners88
23rd March 2015, 11:50
It costs too much to host a race, simple as that. F1 is greedy and hopefully this greed will come back to bite them before long. I won't pretend I am as interested any more with it.

anfield5
23rd March 2015, 20:22
Blame 'Wiggy the House Elf' for this, not Hockenheim or Nurbergring. There were rumours months ago about the Ring not being ready, due to financial issues and change of ownership. If he had acted then this would not have happened.

BDunnell
23rd March 2015, 21:03
Blame 'Wiggy the House Elf' for this, not Hockenheim or Nurbergring. There were rumours months ago about the Ring not being ready, due to financial issues and change of ownership. If he had acted then this would not have happened.

Well, Ecclestone is in large part to blame, but at the same time the German public seems rather to have fallen out of love with F1.

anfield5
23rd March 2015, 22:00
Well, Ecclestone is in large part to blame, but at the same time the German public seems rather to have fallen out of love with F1.

Sadly you are correct. Since Schumi retired there seems to have been a cooling of the F1 fever in Germany. Hardly fair on Vettel, but Germany loved Michael, and only kinda like Seb

journeyman racer
24th March 2015, 12:23
Sadly you are correct. Since Schumi retired there seems to have been a cooling of the F1 fever in Germany. Hardly fair on Vettel, but Germany loved Michael, and only kinda like Seb
What about before Schumacher started?

jens
24th March 2015, 15:25
It's not really a German GP unless it's at the old Hockenheim anyway.

In the same way I don't feel it is the British GP as it is at the new Silverstone... Weird that.

jens
24th March 2015, 15:26

It seems like the whole world is falling out of love with F1. If Germany with a top team and driver(s) competing for championships can't keep up interest, what chance do other nations have?

anfield5
24th March 2015, 20:19
What about before Schumacher started?

The interest in Germany was similar to now. People would go, but the supporters were not hugely passionate about it. Remember pre Schumi Germany had no real F1 star apart from Wolfgang vonTrips in the 60's. He would have been Germany's first champion in 1961 (needed only to finish 3rd), but was tragically killed at Monza when he and Jim Clark collided. Then there were only drivers like Jochen Mass (1 win) and H-H Frentzen (3 wins) for German fans to support.