PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson suspended from the BBC

Mark
10th March 2015, 20:30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Rollo
11th March 2015, 02:50
Tonight...
I punch a producer... Richard buys a turnip... and James makes something out of cardboard.

Tazio
11th March 2015, 02:55
:snore: ;)

Storm
11th March 2015, 09:11
silly stuff again.

steveaki13
11th March 2015, 09:42
I struggle to see the BBC not showing this seasons final episodes though at some point. All the money spent and whatever people think, It is still a Beeb top viewed show.

Big decision if we never see it again.

TheFamousEccles
11th March 2015, 10:45
Poor Jezza. What am I saying??? He's the very model of a self-absorbed tory git! The day he's fired from TG is the day I start watching it again.

Oh, and while we're at it, if the BeeB could see it's way clear to getting rid of that stunted chav too, I would be very happy. I've seen puddles of sewerage with more engaging personalities than "Hamster"...

And another thing. Can someone tell the producers that driving fast and drifting are two different things?

Rollo
11th March 2015, 12:59
Oh, and while we're at it, if the BeeB could see it's way clear to getting rid of that stunted chav too, I would be very happy. I've seen puddles of sewerage with more engaging personalities than "Hamster"...

Andrew Flintoff, Barry Hall, David Mitchell. :D

anfield5
11th March 2015, 19:56
Poor Jezza. What am I saying??? He's the very model of a self-absorbed tory git! The day he's fired from TG is the day I start watching it again.

And another thing. Can someone tell the producers that driving fast and drifting are two different things?

Clarkson is a great hairy oaf and an absolute twat.... but that is why people watch the program. Top Gear was around before him and it was just a boring, run of the mill car show. People watch because of his crass behaviuor. It is akin to Gordon Ramsey and his swear-for-the-camera thing. We complain about his language, but watch because of it.

Storm
11th March 2015, 20:24
right on anfield...even his books are the same..you know they are full of his opinionated crap but the language and the humour (unless you are on the end of it, but even then) is why people find it funny - no need to take it all so seriously all the time.

steveaki13
11th March 2015, 21:27
I admit he is an idiot, but I still find Top Gear funny.

Be interesting to see what happens

Rollo
11th March 2015, 23:22
right on anfield...even his books are the same..you know they are full of his opinionated crap but the language and the humour (unless you are on the end of it, but even then) is why people find it funny - no need to take it all so seriously all the time.

I like his books.
They make for excellent Bathroom Readers.

I'm currently reading Le Père Goriot by Honoré de Balzac; after readin La Rabouilleuse.
I like great literature but if you are otherwise engaged; taking the Browns to the Superbowl, you don't want something terribly mentally taxing.

Hitting someone is idiotic and should be grounds for dismissal.

anfield5
12th March 2015, 01:33
I like his books.

I'm currently reading Le Père Goriot by Honoré de Balzac; after readin La Rabouilleuse.
I like great literature but if you are otherwise engaged; taking the Browns to the Superbowl, you don't want something terribly mentally taxing.

Hitting someone is idiotic and should be grounds for dismissal.

Yes hitting a workmate is inexcusable and can't be tolerated. But did he actually hit the producer? All that has been said is that he apparently aimed a punch at, which is not to say he actually hit him. Having said that I am in no way excusing or condoning his childish actions.

TheFamousEccles
12th March 2015, 09:14
Clarkson is a great hairy oaf and an absolute twat.... but that is why people watch the program. Top Gear was around before him and it was just a boring, run of the mill car show. People watch because of his crass behaviuor. It is akin to Gordon Ramsey and his swear-for-the-camera thing. We complain about his language, but watch because of it.

Yeah, I get all that. I can remember being hugely underwhelmed by TG the first few time I watched it - looking at guys thrash exotica is cool for the first couple of times, but the contrived yob carry-on, combined with the absolute self absorption of Clarkson and the lack of personality of Hammond and May made it dreary beyond compare. And I wish I could see it differently.

The idea that being a hairy oaf with Herculean levels of entitlement is what attracts people to Clarkson is possibly the most dismaying aspect. IMO, it's time has passed - there are many, many others who do it better, provide interesting insight and have engaging personalities all through the internets (I'm sure I don't need to labour that point, people who frequent this type of website are usually enthusiasts - with the exception of crash.net - and know what's getting around).

Though it's continued popularity leaves me looking a bit like Robinson Carusoe....

Anyway, as you all were.

tbtstt
12th March 2015, 10:29
I like his books.
Clarkson's writing is, in my opinion, his greatest strength.

The best response I have seen to the incident so far has come from James May: "The man is a knob, but I quite like him". :laugh:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152783058266939&set=vb.6622931938&type=2&theater

As I understand it Clarkson and Wilman sold the Top Gear rights to the BBC a few years ago, so the BBC could carry on the show without them (and their contracts expire at the end of this year).

For better or for worse though, those three have made Top Gear "their" show and it wouldn't be the same without them. Its no secret that Sky have been sniffing round the TG team for years, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a move happening some time soon...

henners88
12th March 2015, 11:45
I haven't watched Top Gear for years as I thought it went really crap. I do appreciate though how much money it makes the BBC and it would be a mistake to drop Clarkson as he seems to be the draw of the show across the world. I did hear Piers Morgan had put his hand up for the job but I think it would be less embarrassing to completely drop the program altogether than put a scumbag like that in the seat. Sack Hammond and I think Top Gear could be a good show again.

Rollo
12th March 2015, 12:45
Sack Hammond and I think Top Gear could be a good show again.

Look, I know lots about torques, horsepowers, hydrocelators and binary load lifters... I'll take the job. :D

I can write pieces for camera and come up with half-baked ideas and ill-conceived concepts. If anything, I'm overqualified.

Storm
13th March 2015, 05:55
Hammond is useless so rollo you are in with a shout :p: ..What do people think about Fifth Gear? I haven't kept up much with TG (although I do read the mag sometimes) as its hard to find on tele here nowadays but 5th gear is boring apart from the cars :s

Zeakiwi
14th March 2015, 22:18
TG has got a bit stale with the same three for many years now.
Clarkson should be shown the door.
Chris Harris is probably an adequate driver and replacement. Give the Stig a speaking role (digitise his voice like Stephen Hawking)or even if his voice is recognised and identity is revealed, keep the helmet on.
Cut the budget so they are not driving so many fancy cars. I would rather see them hammering everyday cars than Lambos and beemers etc.
Have guest presenters (like BTCC drivers) so Hammond and May can have a break away from the show.

TG cancelled according to this.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/jeremy-clarkson-quits-top-gear-show-cancelled-for-good-93287.html

LouKayne
15th March 2015, 17:18
Clarkson is Top Gear, take a look back to how boring it was until he came along, it wouldn't be half the show without him. He is more than a presenter too, he does a lot of behind the scenes editing and producing.

anfield5
15th March 2015, 20:00
I haven't watched Top Gear for years as I thought it went really crap. I do appreciate though how much money it makes the BBC and it would be a mistake to drop Clarkson as he seems to be the draw of the show across the world. I did hear Piers Morgan had put his hand up for the job but I think it would be less embarrassing to completely drop the program altogether than put a scumbag like that in the seat. Sack Hammond and I think Top Gear could be a good show again.

Morgan wasn't being serious though. He and Clarkson hate each other (too similar?) so Morgan's offer was aimed to stick the knife into Clarkson than to actually suggest he wanted the job.

henners88
15th March 2015, 22:01
Morgan wasn't being serious though. He and Clarkson hate each other (too similar?) so Morgan's offer was aimed to stick the knife into Clarkson than to actually suggest he wanted the job.
Yeah I know. They have been at war on Twitter for years now. Clarkson punched him too so should have been on the New Years honours list for that alone.

anfield5
15th March 2015, 22:19
Yeah I know. They have been at war on Twitter for years now. Clarkson punched him too so should have been on the New Years honours list for that alone.

Have to be careful punching Morgan, you will get crap all over your hands.

Mark
25th March 2015, 15:39
That's it; he's been sacked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

Gregor-y
25th March 2015, 16:33
I wonder what will happen to the segments already filmed for the last few episodes.

anfield5
25th March 2015, 20:01
No more Top Gear. If they continue with the show, I would predict it wont be for long. Love him or hate him Clarkson is Top Gear.

henners88
25th March 2015, 22:16
I think the BBC will try and carry Top Gear on but it will be short lived. I'm not its biggest fan but appreciate the fan base is huge with over 350 million viewers worldwide. My prediction is May, Hammond and Clarkson will appear in a motoring show on a different channel very soon.

TheFamousEccles
25th March 2015, 22:46
Yay! Regardless of who you are, behaving like a prick and assault are not acceptable in the workplace - or anywhere. Take your taxpayer dollars Jezza, and go and sulk out of public view. Please?

anfield5
25th March 2015, 23:07
I have no sympathy for his being sacked - assault a work mate = get sacked.

As to him, May and Hammond popping up somewhere else - it is a weel known secret that Sky have been after Top Gear for a long while, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they announce a 'Top Gear' style car show with the 3 chimps in the next few months.

Chimp number 3 (James May) said this morning that the three of them worked very well together, when asked if he would continue with the BBC. He was sort of hinting that he (and chimp 2) would not continue with out Clarkson.

BDunnell
26th March 2015, 00:04
I think the BBC will try and carry Top Gear on but it will be short lived. I'm not its biggest fan but appreciate the fan base is huge with over 350 million viewers worldwide. My prediction is May, Hammond and Clarkson will appear in a motoring show on a different channel very soon.

A channel that would be saying it's OK for its employees or contractors to punch their colleagues at work.

anfield5
26th March 2015, 00:11
A channel that would be saying it's OK for its employees or contractors to punch their colleagues at work.

Yes but he brings in huge numbers of fans/watchers and oodles of money

henners88
26th March 2015, 08:12
Or a channel that is willing to forget that and exploit the fact this trio are guaranteed to pull in viewers worldwide. After reading Rupert Murdoch's tweet yesterday I have a feeling I know a network that will have an offer on the table. Sky after all are not the benchmark of moral standards and never have been. Clarkson deserved to be sacked for his conduct, but I feel he'll be the winner in all this because he'll go on to make a load more money and the BBC will watch the £67m they earn from Top Gear slowly disappear.

Mark
26th March 2015, 10:14
Yup, I expect Sky Gear or whatever it's going to be called to appear in the Autumn.

The slight problem they have is that they can employ the presenters, but they can't directly copy the format as that's copyrighted. So it has to be changed, but the point is that Top Gear is popular because it is the way it is! Mind you I'm not sure what can be copyrighted, certainly Star in a Reasonably Priced Car can be, but three blokes cocking about can't?

Sky would have to be exceptionally careful, a small change and it'll be ruined and won't last longer than 2 series.

jens
26th March 2015, 13:15
Yes but he brings in huge numbers of fans/watchers and oodles of money

I don't think it is morally right for a person to rise above ethics, so that "he can do anything he likes to get away with it."

What do you think of a great and strong politician, who leads the country. But he is massively corrupt, steals and uses violence against anyone, who disagrees with him. Is that okay, just because he is a strong leader and the country is economically well off?

In my view problems in society arise, when we elevate people "above" normal human standards, which should apply to everyone, but we think a "selected few" can do anything they like because they are so great.

It is harsh, but in my view a fine line should be cut here, so that regardless of who you are, you should not get away with it. Otherwise society is morally corrupt.

janneppi
26th March 2015, 18:26
It would be nice to see Top Gear become a motoring show again.
Maybe they could hire some competent drivers who can give opinions on normal cars.
I know it won't be as popular, with the lack of exploding polar bears and constant burnouts by stunt drivers.

The Top Gear trio IMO should go and do a travel show, that's what was the only good part in the shows for last five years.

BDunnell
26th March 2015, 19:16
Or a channel that is willing to forget that and exploit the fact this trio are guaranteed to pull in viewers worldwide. After reading Rupert Murdoch's tweet yesterday I have a feeling I know a network that will have an offer on the table. Sky after all are not the benchmark of moral standards and never have been. Clarkson deserved to be sacked for his conduct, but I feel he'll be the winner in all this because he'll go on to make a load more money and the BBC will watch the £67m they earn from Top Gear slowly disappear.

Fine. The BBC shouldn't be dependent on funding generated by foreign sales of programmes. In a case like this, I'm surprised there aren't grounds for the BBC to sue the individual whose behaviour caused it to lose that revenue.

BDunnell
26th March 2015, 19:17
I don't think it is morally right for a person to rise above ethics, so that "he can do anything he likes to get away with it."

What do you think of a great and strong politician, who leads the country. But he is massively corrupt, steals and uses violence against anyone, who disagrees with him. Is that okay, just because he is a strong leader and the country is economically well off?

In my view problems in society arise, when we elevate people "above" normal human standards, which should apply to everyone, but we think a "selected few" can do anything they like because they are so great.

It is harsh, but in my view a fine line should be cut here, so that regardless of who you are, you should not get away with it. Otherwise society is morally corrupt.

Exactly. If you were an employer, would you want to take on someone who is known for assaulting co-workers for no reason? I would suggest that individual isn't right in the head.

driveace
26th March 2015, 21:30
He knows his followers He will be back on Sky or ITV

anfield5
26th March 2015, 22:04
It would be nice to see Top Gear become a motoring show again.
Maybe they could hire some competent drivers who can give opinions on normal cars.
I know it won't be as popular, with the lack of exploding polar bears and constant burnouts by stunt drivers.

The Top Gear trio IMO should go and do a travel show, that's what was the only good part in the shows for last five years.

But TG worked because it wasn't just another run of the mill boring car show. These things come and go all of the time because they are boring eg 5th Gear etc.

anfield5
26th March 2015, 22:11

I agree Jens, I am certainly not defending the actions of this neaderthal gorilla. No one should be allowed to get away with this sort of thuggery, no matter how successful and economically important they are. I fully support the actions the BBC have taken.

In NZ Sky TV have employed people sacked by other channels for various un savory reasons, simply because they get high ratings

janneppi
26th March 2015, 22:31
But TG worked because it wasn't just another run of the mill boring car show. These things come and go all of the time because they are boring eg 5th Gear etc.

TG was good, but it got old. Then again I might just be a boring person. ;)
I do watch it sometimes when they show it on tv, but haven't bothered torrenting any new episodes for five or six years now.

henners88
26th March 2015, 22:31
I don't think we will ever fully know why the producer was punched. Certain details have been released but in most of these types of situations there is more to it than that. Whatever though, it's been sorted and all parties can go their separate ways. Perhaps the BBC will try the dull consumer car show route again? There is always junior Masterchef or a gardening show to fall back on for Sunday night viewing lol. I'll stick with catching up with the GP or Countryfile :p

Brown, Jon Brow
28th March 2015, 22:58
All the 'media experts' have been saying that Clarkson's replacement will have to be a woman. Partly because these days the BBC doesn't like having a show fronted by three white men.

If they do go down the route of having a token woman presenter then even a wet liberal like me will think of it as just being PC for the sake of it. I don't think a woman presenter as part of a trio would work. If they are set on having a female presenter then change the format of the show completely and have two female presenters and two male presenters.

anfield5
29th March 2015, 20:53
TG was good, but it got old. Then again I might just be a boring person. ;)
I do watch it sometimes when they show it on tv, but haven't bothered torrenting any new episodes for five or six years now.

I quite agree. I stopped watching it 3 seasons ago, it just started becoming repetitive and predictable, so maybe it is time it was shelved anyway

steveaki13
29th March 2015, 22:48
I quite agree. I stopped watching it 3 seasons ago, it just started becoming repetitive and predictable, so maybe it is time it was shelved anyway

Yet so many people watched it, why would they shelve it? They don't shelve stuff because some people think its getting old. This series was good IMO. ;)

anfield5
29th March 2015, 23:53
The weirdest thing is that there are some Top Gear live shows in Australia next month (I think).40000 plus tickets have been sold already. Clarkson's BBC contract doesn't cover them, so he is apparently still doing them. If the BBC cancel the shows they will be in breach of several agreements, similarly if Clarkson doesn't do them. How awkward is that? :)

MrJan
30th March 2015, 14:42
If they are set on having a female presenter then change the format of the show completely and have two female presenters and two male presenters.

The show needs to be completely reinvented to stay alive, they can't go on with a poor imitation of the JC format TG. Agree that they should pick presenters based on how good they are, not box ticking, but I reckon they need a whole new line up and set up.

Mark
30th March 2015, 20:42
Those Top Gear shows if they weren't sold out before they will now. Last chance to see Clarkson as part of Top Gear.

Jag_Warrior
5th April 2015, 20:55
All the 'media experts' have been saying that Clarkson's replacement will have to be a woman. Partly because these days the BBC doesn't like having a show fronted by three white men.

If they do go down the route of having a token woman presenter then even a wet liberal like me will think of it as just being PC for the sake of it. I don't think a woman presenter as part of a trio would work. If they are set on having a female presenter then change the format of the show completely and have two female presenters and two male presenters.

Yes, this seems to be the way of the western world these days. If some gender based political correctness is good, then more will be better.

Too bad Clarkson went from just acting crazy to actually being crazy. I didn't watch the show that much. But on the occasions when I did, I almost always enjoyed it. Those guys have/had such a unique and entertaining rapport with each other. The variations they tried in the U.S. all sucked. And I suspect that whatever female they force in will be about as successful as Danica in NASCAR or Monisha at Sauber. And if/when people don't watch, it will be written off as sexism and misogyny. We gotta do something about this dang war on women. Yep, we sure do! Matter of fact, I have some thoughts on what we could do to... Hey look, there's a shiny penny on the ground! Wonder who dropped that?

steveaki13
30th August 2015, 18:52
So it appears the trio have landed on their feet in terms of money.

Clarkson rumoured to be on for £10 million a year........

I doubt many will watched compared to Top gear but there you are.

Anyone here planning to have a look?

Mark
30th August 2015, 18:53
I probably will subscribe because unlike Netflix you get more benefits such as free delivery and my wife gets books for her Kindle etc

henners88
30th August 2015, 19:07
I've had Amazon prime for a few years now but got bored of Top Gear when it was on TV. I'll give the new show a go but unless it's vastly different I won't bother.

steveaki13
30th August 2015, 19:09
I imagine it will be largely the same without directly copying to closely anything from Top Gear.