PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Australian Grand Prix

AndyL
8th March 2015, 11:36
The wait is almost over!

Since FOM, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to remove the single most useful feature from the official F1 site - the time converter that shows you the session times in your local timezone - here are the times for UK/Europe:

Friday 13 March
Free practice 1 starts: GMT 1:30AM, CET 2:30 AM, local 12:30PM
Free practice 2 starts: GMT 5:30AM, CET 6:30 AM, local 4:30PM
Saturday 14 March
Free practice 3 starts: GMT 3:00AM, CET 4:00 AM, local 2:00PM
Qualifying starts: GMT 6:00AM, CET 7:00AM, local 5:00PM
Sunday 15 March
Race starts: GMT 5:00AM, CET 6:00AM, local 4:00PM

journeyman racer
8th March 2015, 14:20
LOL You don't have the times I'm supposed to be there for FP1!

steveaki13
11th March 2015, 09:40
So F1 is back.

Sorry but with things happening in my life I am not going to have time to post Race previews this season.

Anyway looking forward to the first race, although really I can't see much of interest happening in terms of race win.

The Black Knight
11th March 2015, 11:06
Well, looking at pre-season testing, unless Williams and Ferrari were sandbagging quite significantly, then I doubt anyone will catch Mercedes. They look to be a second per lap ahead of the rest of the field in Spain and I doubt very much that we've seen Mercedes full potential either.

So, it looks like it will be another Hamilton vs Rosberg this time around. May the best man win. Hopefully Nico won't cheat this year and if he beats Hammy fair and square he will definitely be a deserved champion.

Looking forward to seeing both McLaren's out on track. I doubt they'll finish the race but definitely looking forward to seeing that car. I think both Alonso and Button can win a race each this year. I want to see McLaren do well. They are one of my favorite teams and have two of my favorite drivers in their cars.

Ferrari look like they have made great strides forward over the last couple of months. I don't rate either driver as top drawer but it should be interesting to see where they are.

Massa and Bottas - can't wait to see these guys and if they can challenge Mercedes - they might have been sandbagging as well.

Finally. Max Verstappen - after all the noise we've heard about this guy and how good he looks in preseason testing, I can't wait to see how he gets on throughout his first weekend in F1.

journeyman racer
11th March 2015, 13:41
LOL You don't have the times I'm supposed to be there for FP1!
12:30pm. But there'll be a race for old Group A and C Touring cars at 11am. I'll be there for that!

anfield5
11th March 2015, 20:08
So F1 is back.

Sorry but with things happening in my life I am not going to have time to post Race previews this season.

Anyway looking forward to the first race, although really I can't see much of interest happening in terms of race win.

How is your new business venture going?

steveaki13
11th March 2015, 21:35
How is your new business venture going?

Thanks for asking Anfield.

Its amazing so far, saw a business advisor and they said we are so advanced for a small business only a couple of months in. We have advertising out there and jobs coming in thick and fast. New enquiries still coming in. :)

Exciting times.

journeyman racer
12th March 2015, 11:04
Thanks for asking Anfield.

Its amazing so far, saw a business advisor and they said we are so advanced for a small business only a couple of months in. We have advertising out there and jobs coming in thick and fast. New enquiries still coming in. :)

Exciting times.
Can you give us a link?

henners88
12th March 2015, 11:39
I shall miss the first race as usual. Its on stupidly early and I am busy all day Sunday. If it a Mercedes win I will know I haven't missed much. ;)

journeyman racer
12th March 2015, 22:32
Off I go! Lalor to Flinders st Station. Then the free tram to Albert Park! I'm excited!

rjbetty
13th March 2015, 00:58
Hi guys and gals.

So am I to understand McLaren will be racing in that testing livery (2005!)?

Also, are Manor running in the same red, white and black? I guess they can't afford paint at the mo.

CNR
13th March 2015, 01:59
FIA will not give Giedo van der Garde a superlicence
declaration that Sauber are in contempt of court. ?

Tazio
13th March 2015, 02:34
Greetings dawgz :)
It's about 6:30 pm PDT, and a bit before Fp1. I've got an inexhaustible supply of Newcastle, and would simply like to apologize in advance for some of the rubbish I post during the race weekend as I plan to get really blotto! :angel:
I'll be pulling (in this order) for The Boss, Felipe, Jense, K-Mag, Kyvat, Seb, , RG, and Danny Boy! Fred is such a punk for faking it, because after he sits out the first two races the car will be seriously sorted! :p:
Gooooooo, whoever ya''awl boyz are pulling for!! :dork:

truefan72
13th March 2015, 03:30
hmm so 2 gripes
1. F1 app is now $25 or $2.99/month
2. the scoring screens don't seem to work on the fOM broadcast

Tazio
13th March 2015, 03:56
I'm seriously disappointed with F1.com. Is this the way thee Europeans do business! :angryfire

Tazio
13th March 2015, 03:57
Hi guys and gals.

So am I to understand McLaren will be racing in that testing livery (2005!)?

Also, are Manor running in the same red, white and black? I guess they can't afford paint at the mo.Hi! :angel:

Doc Austin
13th March 2015, 05:17
Let's hope all 20 cars get to the grid and we have a safe, hard fought race.

Tazio
13th March 2015, 05:44
Amen, brother! :angel:

Tazio
13th March 2015, 05:58
They're showing ol' One Ear!

Tazio
13th March 2015, 06:28
Kimi's Finnish(ed) :cheese::beer::wave:

Duncan
13th March 2015, 06:45
:facepalm:

Sauber in a legal mess. Cars stopped, drivers out of cars. No plan.
McLaren got in a few laps, both cars up on jacks and surrounded by mechanics, plus uncle Ron wearing a stern expression.
Manor hasn't fired up either car yet.

Let's see what FP2 brings...

Duncan
13th March 2015, 06:53
ooh... I see a Sauber on track. Wonder what they've figured out?

andyone
13th March 2015, 07:07
looks like Ferari are on somthing on fp2. but i think mercedes are simulating somthing. but it looks like mercedes has got someone chasing them.

Storm
13th March 2015, 07:52
So nothing changed since last year...no one found any speed to challenge the Mercs? (well we only hoped)
McLaren worse off than what was expected and Alonso not even racing (though hitting the gym based on the photo on bbc)

quite an anti-climactic start to a new season I think :(

Rosberg and Hamilton need to take each other out on lap 1 :p:

jens
13th March 2015, 09:19
Big gaps between teams, some of them not running at all.

I am sorry, but McLaren-Honda is absolutely rubbish. Right about where Lotus-Renault was a year ago. At the back of the grid barely running.

Good to see Ferrari going well, Williams too. I have to admit though Red Bull makes me concerned. I haven't really deepened into analysis, but it looks more and more like RBR has lost its former mojo. Even last year they had an excellent chassis, even if an underpowered engine.

Tazio
13th March 2015, 10:20
http://www.espn.co.uk/australia/motorsport/story/194311.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
:angel:

A FONDO
13th March 2015, 12:01
How much laps is McLaren's longest lap streak at any of the tests so far?

Would be a miracle if both cars reach the finish line.

Robinho
13th March 2015, 13:15
How much laps is McLaren's longest lap streak at any of the tests so far?

Would be a miracle if both cars reach the finish line.

No, miracle will be if both cars make the end of lap 1, or 1 car makes it past the pit stop window, unfortunately. If either make the finish, that will be as good as a podium

AndyL
13th March 2015, 13:38
I'm seriously disappointed with F1.com. Is this the way thee Europeans do business! :angryfire

What's happened with the live timing? Looks like there have been some big changes, what timing info is available now?

journeyman racer
13th March 2015, 15:46
Had a good day today. It was pretty relaxed. The crowd was mellow. I sat at t9-10 for fp1 and t11 in fp2. It was good viewing up close of the cars squirming out of t10. I was impressed by the speed, as someone who doesn't go to F1. the apex of t9 was 150-200 metres away, and the cars come up to you a lot quicker than what I'm used to. I wasn't a sensation, more a raised eyebrow and curl of a lip "Hmm, that's pretty quick".

Then at t11. The speed they carry into it wasn't that big a deal as a sensation. but they'd then disappear for a moment behind the stand at t12, before reappearing for 200m before they disappear for the lap at that bend. That's actually a fair distance away. So to see them in front of me then appear way over there a moment later, also made me go "Hmmmm".

It was the first time I attended a GP day since the 1992 AGP! That morning, I saw Jim Richards win the Group A Touring car support race. 23 years later, the first thing I see on track is Jim Richards win the Historic Group A Touring car support race!

Rosberg fastest in both sessions? I saw him cheat!

Doc Austin
13th March 2015, 19:00
Rosberg fastest in both sessions? I saw him cheat!

I think the best thing that could have happened for Rosberg was when he lost the championship last year. He knows how to lose a championship, and that will better prepare him to win this one.

If you look at a lot of the great champions, they lost a close championship before they won one. Prost is an excellent example. He could have won three or four with just a handful more points. He lost a championship by half a point before he won one! Mansell came close. Hill came close. Stewart came close. Andretti came close. Piquet came close too and still lost out.

A lot of great champions had to taste a close defeat first, and maybe Rosberg will be one of them. I think he will give Hamilton a much better fight this year. Last year he was good too, but they both couldn't win.

Tazio
14th March 2015, 02:14
Personally I'd be ok with the boss winning it again. If your only competition is your teammate, it is good that both dem :dog:'s have the fastest rigs in the "Q", and racing. So Nico should win at least one WDC, it is either this year, or Nico move to McHonda, but I do think you should get three comp' seasons. and zI bet Nic0n would win 1 nout of 3, Whatever, Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry :rolleyes: ;)

Doc Austin
14th March 2015, 02:29
I think Nico would make a great champion.

rjbetty
14th March 2015, 02:52
...If you look at a lot of the great champions, they lost a close championship before they won one. Prost is an excellent example. He could have won three or four with just a handful more points. He lost a championship by half a point before he won one! Mansell came close. Hill came close. Stewart came close. Andretti came close. Piquet came close too and still lost out.

A lot of great champions had to taste a close defeat first, and maybe Rosberg will be one of them.

I so agree with this. The example that always stuck with me was Sebastien Loeb in the WRC. In 2003 he lost the title to Solberg by 1pt, and I know it must have bugged him that he was pipped in Spain by Panizzi when it rained, and he went off in Corsica.

I always believed that close defeat helped make him the driver he turned out to be. If he had won it in 2003 I'm not sure he would have made in 2006/07 or 09 really.

Tazio
14th March 2015, 04:18
:rolleyes:

Tazio
14th March 2015, 04:20
In 2003 he lost the title to Solberg by 1pt, and I know it must have bugged him that he was pipped in Spain by Panizzi when it rained, and he went off in Corsica.

I always believed that close defeat helped make him the driver he turned out to be.

longisland
14th March 2015, 04:26
I dread the Mclarens will be out in Q1 1.5s off the top teams. The cars just aren't ready for racing. The teams should have given the option to do more testing with penalty. I'd rather see a race ready car starting from the pit than a car conducting test on race day. The whole point of limited test is cost saving but I don't see how bringing the whole to across the globe would be any cheaper than extra testing time in Europe. People spend good money & time to watch the race especially those who are attending the race; we've been short changed as paying customers.

Duncan
14th March 2015, 04:38
Jenson was quoted earlier as saying that he really hopes that Manor makes it out on track for the race, as otherwise the McLarens might end up starting at the back of the grid.

Seems a bit presumptuous. Maybe the Manor team will make it on track and McLaren will still be last on the grid. :-)

Seriously, though, I really do hope that Manor is able to race this weekend. It's taken some very serious work and determination to get this far, and I wish them the best of luck.

rjbetty
14th March 2015, 04:48
In 2003 he lost the title to Solberg by 1pt, and I know it must have bugged him that he was pipped in Spain by Panizzi when it rained, and he went off in Corsica.

I always believed that close defeat helped make him the driver he turned out to be.

Lol I think I'm on the wrong part of the forum? :p

Tazio
14th March 2015, 04:50
I think you will see McLaren Honda!

rjbetty
14th March 2015, 04:52
Welcome to 2008 Jenson!

Tazio
14th March 2015, 04:57
You're MEAN!!! :angryfire

Duncan
14th March 2015, 05:37
Yikes. Ricciardo is already on his second engine... and they only get four this season. I don't know if the one that they took out is fixable, but that's not a good way to be starting the season.

[edit] and now he's stopped on track with the second engine installed after only a few laps. These guys are not going to be happy with Renault at all. Hope they can fix it quickly or Ric is going to miss qualifying for his home grand prix.

truefan72
14th March 2015, 05:58
Yikes. Ricciardo is already on his second engine... and they only get four this season. I don't know if the one that they took out is fixable, but that's not a good way to be starting the season.

sadly, they say that one is done and dusted. Kaput
So he is down to 3 engines for the entire season

But i'm sure they will take a penalty and get a 4th one going.

truefan72
14th March 2015, 07:22
wow!
mclaren are at the back of the grid, purely on lack of performance.
This is disappointing for Honda
I guess picking up where they left off in 2009
is it the design, the engine?
yikes!

truefan72
14th March 2015, 07:24
my prediction for qualy

1. hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Massa
6. Kimi
7. Verstappen
8. SDainz
9. Grosjean
10. Hulkenberg

truefan72
14th March 2015, 07:42
damn so much for my predictions. Vestappen and Hulkenberg didn't make it
but on the bright side. Lotus is looking good!

jens
14th March 2015, 08:50
Good.:up: The season has started!

Others aren't much of a shock except McLaren even worse than expected, but both Red Bull and Toro Rosso raise a few eyebrows. So, Red Bull is about a match to STR? WTF? They really can't complain about the underpowered Renault PU either if that's the case. Maybe Red Bull should promote chief designer James Key into their team.

jens
14th March 2015, 09:53
Oh and one more thing. I don't want to hear any more hype about McLaren, Honda, or anybody there. Or that McLaren is a top team. For third straight year they are nothing more than a midfield team. They are not even comparable to Ferrari, who has got a lot of flack. At best McLaren is comparable to Toyota and BAR-Honda in their worse days.

All McLaren has left is history and "image". Depth in the team is missing completely and has been for a few years. They even lack title sponsorship. And I am not surprised big sponsors are not really after McLaren to sign deals!

McLaren is like Williams was for a long time (2005-2013). Ok, Williams climbed out of it for now, but look it took a whole decade!

COD
14th March 2015, 11:55
There are news reporta, that Bottas may even miss the race due to backproblems. Not good

donKey jote
14th March 2015, 12:10
I think I'll finally give in and do a Henners on 2015...
26 Euros for the app
no excitement at the front (Ham)
no excitement at the back (Alonso :p)

sod the live viewing... I won't even set the alarm for Carletes :( :mark:

zako85
14th March 2015, 12:22
Nothing truly shocking about the qualifying session, except that McLaren finished dead last.

A FONDO
14th March 2015, 12:51
There are news reporta, that Bottas may even miss the race due to backproblems. Not good

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/20/article-2281580-1808C6CC000005DC-739_634x1307.jpg

TheFamousEccles
14th March 2015, 14:15
What a great idea! I hope she gets a start if Bottas cant.

AndyL
14th March 2015, 14:43
All McLaren has left is history and "image". Depth in the team is missing completely and has been for a few years. They even lack title sponsorship. And I am not surprised big sponsors are not really after McLaren to sign deals!

McLaren does have something else: Honda's chequebook. Money talks... eventually. For Honda's sake, I hope that this time round their investment pays off before they take their name off the car.

Tazio
14th March 2015, 16:21
26 Euros for the app

McSod all! :wave:

Tazio
14th March 2015, 16:26
What a great idea! I hope she gets a start if Bottas cant.
I'd like to see her on the podium..... necked as a j-bird :)

Tazio
14th March 2015, 16:29
26 Euros for the app

:sailor: boo hoo :wave:

Doc Austin
14th March 2015, 17:07
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/20/article-2281580-1808C6CC000005DC-739_634x1307.jpg

Wow. Botas' hair sure grew out over the winter.

Doc Austin
14th March 2015, 17:15
Nothing truly shocking about the qualifying session, except that McLaren finished dead last.

Here's something odd:

McLaren boss Eric Boullier says that .... that conservative engine settings are part of the reason for the team's poor showing today. (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/boullier-conservative-engine-settings-are-part-of-the-reason-490660)

Which doesn't seem to agree with...........

"There is no such thing in modern F1 that you don't turn the engine on completely." (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-margin-bigger-than-expected-wolff) Toto Wolfe

Also, we have heard all winter that you can't tell who has what from testing, but qualifying shook out exactly like testing suggested it would!

Also, we thought we might have 20 cars, which went out thwe window with Manor not running, and then we thought we might have 176 if Sauber got their equipment seized. Now it turns out we might have 17 because Williams is unsure if Botas can race tomorrow (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-unsure-if-bottas-will-race).

Alonso couldn't have picked a better race to sit out. The McLarens are slow and unreliable. Has a slow and unreliable car ever won anything?

BDunnell
14th March 2015, 17:39
Oh and one more thing. I don't want to hear any more hype about McLaren, Honda, or anybody there. Or that McLaren is a top team. For third straight year they are nothing more than a midfield team. They are not even comparable to Ferrari, who has got a lot of flack. At best McLaren is comparable to Toyota and BAR-Honda in their worse days.

It would be wrong of me to say I'd be immensely amused if this turned out to be a disaster for Ron Dennis, but it's true. I would be immensely amused if this turned out to be a disaster for Ron Dennis. The man is the very clinical definition of a psychopath.

rjbetty
14th March 2015, 17:58
It would be wrong of me to say I'd be immensely amused if this turned out to be a disaster for Ron Dennis, but it's true. I would be immensely amused if this turned out to be a disaster for Ron Dennis. The man is the very clinical definition of a psychopath.

Curses! Our plan has been foiled! On to phase 2.

We WILL win races! Because... We are MCLAREN!!

Tazio
14th March 2015, 18:16
Curses! Our plan has been foiled! On to phase 2.

We WILL win races! Because... We are MCLAREN!!

I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!
10:00 am PDT, and time for a little hair of the dawg that bit me:

http://www.brewery.se/Render.ashx?image=http://files.cmsoffice.se/60/bilder/nba_550ml_bottle_hires(1).jpg&width=700&maxheight=600

Doc Austin
14th March 2015, 18:17
I'm not so sure I would bet the house against McLaren and Honda at this point. Remembering this time last year, everyone but Mercedes could hardly keep the cars running, which is about where McLaren is right now after about the same amount of testing and practice.

They will get it right, but it sure isn't going to be this weekend. At best this will be an extended test for them, if they can keep the things together that long, that is.

steveaki13
14th March 2015, 19:02
I will remember this Taz just in case. :dog:

I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Doc Austin
14th March 2015, 19:03
I'm not counting my money just yet.

steveaki13
14th March 2015, 19:05
Hamilton seems to have this under control this weekend. People seemed to think on Medium tyres Mercedes had lost some of its advantage, but in Quali it appeared as big as ever.

Good lap from Hamilton.

Mclaren suck, but I reckon Taz could be right and we could see them move forward over the season.

As for Bottas..... After quali a sub driver cannot come in can they? People calling for Susie Wolff to step in are going to be disappointed I would think.

As far as I remember a driver can't be replaced after starting qualifying.

A FONDO
14th March 2015, 19:24
Could she not start from the pit at least? What is the meaning of them third drivers then!

Doc Austin
14th March 2015, 19:34
Wasn't she like six seconds off the pace in Barcelona?

That, and does she even have a super license?

Tazio
14th March 2015, 19:42
I will remember this Taz just in case. :dog:

From what I've read, and heard on the broadcast, Bollier stated quite emphatically that it wasn't the "zero packaging" but "the ancillaries." were what was causing them to lose track time, so it's a non aero induced prob' but just getting everything to work at once, that is kind of what I got out of it, His English is good, but that freakin' accent seriously affects the proper english enunciation. But I'll cut him some slack, in the interview I saw with the Sky bros. Bollier was like twice as tall as both of them.
He's A Big Dawg !:vampire:

steveaki13
14th March 2015, 20:08
Could she not start from the pit at least? What is the meaning of them third drivers then!

I dont think so, otherwise in the past people injured in qualifying would have been replaced rather than a car less start.

Maybe the rules have changed. I dont know

jens
14th March 2015, 20:19
So let's see, how the race turns out. Actually I am thinking Räikkönen might beat Vettel here. He is usually relatively stronger in race than in qualifying and qualified very close to Seb. Also won in 2013 from 7th on the grid.

Tazio
14th March 2015, 20:35
I think it really depends on the start., Kimi on the clean side,. If this car is really suited to Kimi's style, that in and of itself only means to me that it is also probably well suited to Seb, as he likes a similar setup. But If the car is really an Allison special, than Kimi could be in with a shout. If anyone could put the as*-whippin' he got from his teammate last season behind him it is Ice. I wish him good luck, but I'll bet 1,000.00 USD to any and all members that when they add the points up at the end of the year Seb will have more, but I could be wrong.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th March 2015, 22:31
Are they really as far behind as everyone is saying?

Button managed a 1.31.422 in the Mclaren Honda

Last year in Q1 he managed a 1.31.396 in the McLaren Mercedes.

Assuming that the chassis is better than last years, and ignoring different track conditions/tyres, considering the amount of mileage they have done they are exactly where you'd expect them to be.

In terms of potential of the package, they might actually be in a better position than the Renault powered teams. They have gone backwards in some aspects.

Tazio
14th March 2015, 23:00
Patience lads.

journeyman racer
15th March 2015, 02:03
Mark Webber's been part of the local broadcast over here. He's been outstanding, and made Alan Jones completely irrelevant. Which may not surprise. The insight has been outstanding.

Hawkmoon
15th March 2015, 03:36
Mark Webber's been part of the local broadcast over here. He's been outstanding, and made Alan Jones completely irrelevant. Which may not surprise. The insight has been outstanding.

I thought the opposite. Webber, while obviously knowledgeable, is a poor commentator. He struggles to coherently express his thoughts, talks too much when he should shut up, repeats himself too often (I lost count of the times he said the word "brutal") and gets halfway through a sentence before realising he has nowhere to go with it. He can certainly add something to the broadcast but needs to be used in much smaller doses than he is being used at the moment.

journeyman racer
15th March 2015, 03:39
His positives outweigh his weaknesses. He's carrying the broadcast. And I didn't even like him as a driver.

kfzmeister
15th March 2015, 03:45
I think it really depends on the start., Kimi on the clean side,. If this car is really suited to Kimi's style, that in and of itself only means to me that it is also probably well suited to Seb, as he likes a similar setup. But If the car is really an Allison special, than Kimi could be in with a shout. If anyone could put the as*-whippin' he got from his teammate last season behind him it is Ice. I wish him good luck, but I'll bet 1,000.00 USD to any and all members that when they add the points up at the end of the year Seb will have more, but I could be wrong.

Thought i read a testing analysis, that suggested that RAI has shown better racepace than VET. Think it was by an average of .4 seconds....
I was actually surprised that he got so close during the final laps of qualy

journeyman racer
15th March 2015, 03:59
Jesus. These blokes disbelieving of Raikkonen! Last year was only one **** year. He was extraordinary for the previous two.

raybak
15th March 2015, 04:30
Interesting that no Bottas for the driver photo session but both Manor drivers were there.

Ranger
15th March 2015, 04:34
I thought the opposite. Webber, while obviously knowledgeable, is a poor commentator. He struggles to coherently express his thoughts, talks too much when he should shut up, repeats himself too often (I lost count of the times he said the word "brutal") and gets halfway through a sentence before realising he has nowhere to go with it. He can certainly add something to the broadcast but needs to be used in much smaller doses than he is being used at the moment.

For someone with no previous commentating experience, he was excellent.

He does need to talk less, but his insight is a 100% improvement on that of Alan Jones, who still draws conclusions from loose speculation way too often.

journeyman racer
15th March 2015, 05:14
For someone with no previous commentating experience, he was excellent.

He does need to talk less, but his insight is a 100% improvement on that of Alan Jones, who still draws conclusions from loose speculation way too often.
"Nigel Mansell took his own beans to Mexico'

journeyman racer
15th March 2015, 05:20
It was the first time I attended a GP day since the 1992 AGP! That morning, I saw Jim Richards win the Group A Touring car support race. 23 years later, the first thing I see on track is Jim Richards win the Historic Group A Touring car support race!

Just been reminded by the pre-race coverage. The last time I saw live GP action, was the last time there was McLaren-Honda combination! It didn't even occur to me the whole time I was there on Friday. I was even looking out for it as well, since there was talk about it's distinctive sound. It is. Ironically, it reminded me of the MB sls GT3 that I've seen often race down here.

Duncan
15th March 2015, 05:22
NBC apparently confirming no Bottas for the race. And no Wolff either.

Robinho
15th March 2015, 05:32
And no Magnusson, seeing as he's just blown the engine on the way to the grid

Robinho
15th March 2015, 05:34
And kyvat has been off through the gravel on the way to the grid and is now limping. Down to 15 cars already?

truefan72
15th March 2015, 05:35
NBC apparently confirming no Bottas for the race. And no Wolff either.

dammit, just heard myself
bloody shame.
17 cars on an F1 grid is an embarrassment
I guess they could not put wolfe in as she has had zero running time. But she is a racing driver and F1 in their infinite wisdom has chosen to blow this golden god given opportunity for much needed pr and proper history.
If they let her drive from the back of the grid because she didn't "qualify" then the entire talk worldwide for the entire day would have been about the historic move by F1.

Also they need to rethink this 3rd driver situation.
The 3rd driver should be the "reserve" driver and should be able to step in when needed.
I would like to see them revise the rules and extend each FP1 & FP2 sessions by half an hour, to allow every 3rd driver an opportunity to get used the track. Then if a bottas situation occurs they would be allowed to race with a 10 place grid penalty for the driver change.
Teams would obviously agree to it sincve it will allow them to salvage some points.

truefan72
15th March 2015, 05:36
And no Magnusson, seeing as he's just blown the engine on the way to the grid

madness, down to 16 cars

I have no words for Honda and mclaren SMH

Robinho
15th March 2015, 05:38
madness, down to 16 cars

I have no words for Honda and mclaren SMH

Possibly 15, Kyvat seems to have stopped after a trip through the gravel

andyone
15th March 2015, 05:40
One McLaren already have issue's

raybak
15th March 2015, 05:40
15 cars now Kyvat getting a ride back to the pits. Manor may have had a chance at top 10 if only they had paid for their Ecu's

Ranger
15th March 2015, 05:43
Possibly 15, Kyvat seems to have stopped after a trip through the gravel

At this rate, anyone who finishes will get points - which will be extremely valuable to teams like Force India and Sauber.

Not a good look to blow up on the way to the grid - very unlucky.

Duncan
15th March 2015, 05:43
Also they need to rethink this 3rd driver situation.
The 3rd driver should be the "reserve" driver and should be able to step in when needed.
I would like to see them revise the rules and extend each FP1 & FP2 sessions by half an hour, to allow every 3rd driver an opportunity to get used the track. Then if a bottas situation occurs they would be allowed to race with a 10 place grid penalty for the driver change.
Teams would obviously agree to it sincve it will allow them to salvage some points.

Agreed. Particularly given what we're seeing right now in terms of number of cars on the grid.

Be surprised if Kvyat starts - but just have to hope that it's some minor glitch and he can start from the pit lane.

Alonso picked a good race to miss, I guess, but still bummed for K-Mag. He really deserved the opportunity.

truefan72
15th March 2015, 05:46
and now my stream has gone down

truefan72
15th March 2015, 05:48
Agreed. Particularly given what we're seeing right now in terms of number of cars on the grid.

Be surprised if Kvyat starts - but just have to hope that it's some minor glitch and he can start from the pit lane.

Alonso picked a good race to miss, I guess, but still bummed for K-Mag. He really deserved the opportunity.

I know.

Especially K-mag

perhaps he too was lucky to be on hiatus this year

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 05:55
Morning Guys

Here we go again

So Kyvat & Magnussen retired before the race, Bottas injured and as I told y'all :p Susie can't race at such short notice.

15 Cars, thats a pretty rubbish grid for Oz.

raybak
15th March 2015, 06:00
I'm gonna go and borrow the 2 seater Minardi and see how I go. Might even score some points. Who want's to sit in the back seat?

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:02
I'm gonna go and borrow the 2 seater Minardi and see how I go. Might even score some points. Who want's to sit in the back seat?

Taz

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:03
stupid sauber...there goes my FGP
poor maldonado, was completely innocent

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:04
Maldonado starts the year in the barrier. :D

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:05
gawd this is depressing
lads, the race is not won or lost in the first few corners
especially with only 15 runners
unbelievable

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:05
Grosjean out.

13 cars left after 2 laps ;(

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:06
...and there goes the second lotus
shaite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raybak
15th March 2015, 06:07
Yep if only I had that Minardi now, might even be in for a top 5.

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:07
ok, blame as to be assigned to vettel. it was his fault that started the whole mess

Koz
15th March 2015, 06:08
Grojsean out? What happened here?

longisland
Aussie GP kicks off the season with a bang! Both Lotuses are out.

dj_bytedisaster
ok, blame as to be assigned to vettel. it was his fault that started the whole mess

Wrong. It was Kimi

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:09
Grosjean had a power unit issue.

Koz
Wrong. It was Kimi

How was it Kimi's fault man?

steveaki13
Great move by Nasr

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:10

Cause truefan said so:o

raybak
15th March 2015, 06:15
Button could still score points, so at least something from this weekend.

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 06:15

He had to slow down into corner 1 and then touched Nasr's Sauber which then cluttered into Maldonado's back

Robinho
15th March 2015, 06:21
He had to slow down into corner 1 and then touched Nasr's Sauber which then cluttered into Maldonado's back

Had to slow down cos Vettel didn't give room to the car alongside (Kimi), clattered over the inside kerb and hit his teammate, causing the cars behind to clash.

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 06:22
Had to slow down cos Vettel didn't give room to the car alongside (Kimi), clattered over the inside kerb and hit his teammate, causing the cars behind to clash.

Sorry, that's bollocks. First of all, the first corner is a right-hander, which means Vettel had the inside line, so it was Kimi who had to give way. The two Ferrari's didn't even touch.

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:24
Great spirited battling by Jenson there.

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:28
dumb by jenson
SMH

rjbetty
stupid sauber...there goes my FGP
poor maldonado, was completely innocent

(Whew - so glad I let him have Australia now...)

Robinho
Sorry, that's bollocks. First of all, the first corner is a right-hander, which means Vettel had the inside line, so it was Kimi who had to give way. The two Ferrari's didn't even touch.

Enjoy your dreamworld, another season not bothering to engage with your incessant BS it is.

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:29

and vettel got over the outside curbs lost control on turn 1 and slid into kimi

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:31
typical rubbish ferrari pitstop

journeyman racer
lol

He was on the inside line, then kept moving to the outside exiting it, knowing Raikkonen was there. Vettel more or less blocked Raikkonen.

raybak
Only 4 more cars to drop out and I'm in the points:)

rjbetty
Great spirited battling by Jenson there.

Some great spirited battling going on on this forum too already! :stareup: :p

N4D13
15th March 2015, 06:32
I'm not actually sure of whose fault that was. Button might have been a bit overzealous in defending, but I'm not even sure that he would have made the corner had he not turned. I think Perez simply dived in before he had closed on enough.

Tazio
15th March 2015, 06:33
Taz
Kimi is getting punked......again ;)

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:34
Nasr is comfortably pulling away from that RBR. impressive

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:36
Some great spirited battling going on on this forum too already! :stareup: :p

Ha, no thats the equivalent of brake testing someone

longisland
Two Saubers are in points position. Keeping fingers crossed they do well to pay off Giedo

raybak
Taz sitting in the back seat of the 2 seater and I will score points. Don't know if they will let us run in Malaysia though as our car sounds too good compared to the rest of the field.

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:37
Nasr absolutely brilliant so far, even Ericcson looking decent. So Sauber are looking more at the races for 2015. Good to see.

rjbetty
15th March 2015, 06:40
Nasr absolutely brilliant so far, even Ericcson looking decent. So Sauber are looking more at the races for 2015. Good to see.

Yup. Maybe it's more that several cars suck though, mentioning no names. (SO glad I finally got rid of a certain team from my FGP line-up at last).

Nasr has really shone so far though, a clear driver of the race candidate amongst several.

So sad Manor couldn't take the start, as points seriously could have been on for them... :(

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 06:43
Looks like Amateur hour all over the pitlane

truefan72
15th March 2015, 06:43
rubbish by Torro rosso pit

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 06:46
Two Saubers are in points position. Keeping fingers crossed they do well to pay off Giedo

With what money?

jens
15th March 2015, 06:54
Yay, Vettel third for now as "best of the rest". Hope he stays there.:D

Completely different feeling to last year. Feels like Seb's career has just re-started and new energy there!

N4D13
15th March 2015, 06:55
I'm watching NBC's livestream and it appears they're putting some F1 in between the ads.

jens
15th March 2015, 06:56

Sauber is clearly a good car if a driver like Ericsson can basically outpace Hülkenberg.

I don't know, for how long can Sauber keep this up this year, but great to see for now!

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 06:57
Max Verstappen out. Good first effort

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 06:58
God, this Renault engine must be crap.

Tazio
15th March 2015, 07:02
Taz sitting in the back seat of the 2 seater and I will score points. Don't know if they will let us run in Malaysia though as our car sounds too good compared to the rest of the field.It's a Jordan Judd..... mate :)

raybak
15th March 2015, 07:03
Isn't it the latest from LEGO.

jens
15th March 2015, 07:04
Max Verstappen out. Good first effort

Yep. He certainly isn't too young to be in F1! This is what this weekend made clear.

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 07:04
LOL. Rosberg faster than Lewis 5 laps on the trot, short of DNS range: "Save fuel Nico"

steveaki13
15th March 2015, 07:08
Damn..........................Kimi

jens
15th March 2015, 07:09
By the way, two remarks.

We have had some pretty strange injuries this year - Alonso and Bottas. What is going on?!

Oh, and pitcrews need more practice. Some of them seem pretty unprepared for the new season.

raybak
Kimi out. Button for a podium:)

truefan72
oh no,
kimi out!
yikes

steveaki13
11 cars left. Who is not going to score a point. Or will we have one more retirement.

journeyman racer
15th March 2015, 07:10
Blow for Raikkonen. But it's along season, and his form looked promising. There'll be some good times.

truefan72
15th March 2015, 07:10
left rear man needs to be fired for ferrari
utterly shambolic

Tazio
15th March 2015, 07:11
Kim donkey of the race ;)
Go Seb!

jens
15th March 2015, 07:12
Sad about Räikkönen.:( Ferrari should have scored 3rd and 5th here today! Will he get a 10-place grid penalty now? Or what was the rule about loose tyres?

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 07:15
Sad about Räikkönen.:( Ferrari should have scored 3rd and 5th here today! Will he get a 10-place grid penalty now? Or what was the rule about loose tyres?

It's being investigated for unsafe release. "Only" 5 place drop I think.

N4D13
15th March 2015, 07:17
Just saying, if Massa and Vettel take each other out, it'll most likely be a podium for Nasr. :)

N. Jones
15th March 2015, 07:18
I can't remember the last time we saw this much attrition.

Tazio
15th March 2015, 07:19
Isn't it the latest from LEGO.
No mate, no!

http://i.imgur.com/OCypl.jpg

jens
15th March 2015, 07:20

Monaco last year.:D Bianchi P9!

N4D13
15th March 2015, 07:20
How about Oz'08?

jens
15th March 2015, 07:23
Nasr-Sauber is the great underdog story of the day. I don't know why, but Mark Webber comes to mind! 5th in the Minardi. Sauber is of course better than Minardi was, but Sauber is also very short of money.

jens
15th March 2015, 07:28
I also like that Ericsson is in the points and if Ericsson can pass Sainz, believe it or not, Sauber would rank 3rd in the constructors after the opening race!

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 07:36
And Macca manage NOT to score in a race of eleven. That's gotta be donkey of the year.

truefan72
15th March 2015, 07:40
as ice cube said...it was a good day

good day for sauber and Force India
good job by vettel,
a bit disappointing that massa did not even challenge the ferrari
Excellent result for Sainz and torro rosso
complete bullocks by ferrari pit stop crew with kimi twice!!!
well at least the mclaren made it to the end

rjbetty
15th March 2015, 07:54
I wonder how Giedo van der Garde is feeling, seeing both Sauber drivers finish in the points...

dj_bytedisaster
15th March 2015, 07:59
I wonder how Giedo van der Garde is feeling, seeing both Sauber drivers finish in the points...

Why do you think he sues for the drive and not for a payout.

journeyman racer
15th March 2015, 12:04
Arnie is pretty good with the post race interview. Brundle better watch out!

Duncan
15th March 2015, 18:31
Just occurred to me - did I miss it, or was there no investigation of the Button incident? Last season I'd have expected to see a graphic on the screen saying "Incident involving cars X and Y under investigation - causing a collision". Of course, the whole thing could have happened while NBC was in commercial break.

Doc Austin
15th March 2015, 19:29
And Macca manage NOT to score in a race of eleven. That's gotta be donkey of the year.

Worse, this was actually a good race for them!

Doc Austin
15th March 2015, 19:31
Just occurred to me - did I miss it, or was there no investigation of the Button incident? Last season I'd have expected to see a graphic on the screen saying "Incident involving cars X and Y under investigation - causing a collision". Of course, the whole thing could have happened while NBC was in commercial break.

I'm betting it was too close to call so they let it slide. Button didn't give him any room, but he didn't take any either. Chico just slid out into him because Button left him no margin. Hard racing at it's finest, except it was at the wrong end of the running order. that kind of hard nosed racing should be happening at the front.

Tazio
16th March 2015, 02:16
Bernie, The FIA, or more likely Mercedes better come up with something soon, because The Boss just gave Nico a thorough ass whgippin', and the whole exercise may become rather academic by around Sochi. :rolleyes:

journeyman racer
16th March 2015, 11:57
With 15-20 to go, both MB were out in front by more than a pitstop. Hamilton just that bit out of reach for Rosberg. What I'd like to know is, why did Rosberg pit and see what he could do with fresh tyres?

journeyman racer
16th March 2015, 14:08
Kind of funny. Where I was at the GP. You're allowed on a golf course, but are not allowed to go near the road. But soon, you'll be able to go near the road, but not allowed on the golf course!

Brown, Jon Brow
16th March 2015, 15:05
With 15-20 to go, both MB were out in front by more than a pitstop. Hamilton just that bit out of reach for Rosberg. What I'd like to know is, why did Rosberg pit and see what he could do with fresh tyres?

His pace was probably dictated more by fuel management rather than tyre management.

easy rider
16th March 2015, 23:17
His pace was probably dictated more by fuel management rather than tyre management.

Nico's pace wasn't any bother for Lewis, who had Rosberg under control from the very start of the race, to the fall of the checkered flag.......Rosberg had nothing for Hamilton at Australia.

Doc Austin
16th March 2015, 23:44
Lewis really won the race on the restart after the safety car. He just got a blinder while Nico must have been picking his nose or something. I think he pulled out 2 seconds on the restart alone, and then it was a matter of managing the gap and taking care of the tires.

jens
17th March 2015, 10:20
Well, looking now back on the opening race of the year, I still like to think about the main highlights for me.

Seb Vettel - 3rd - both Vettel and Ferrari had a difficult time last year, and they were not together at that time. Now they are together, and it feels like a new fresh beginning. I feel a bit nostalgic. In 1996, after joining Ferrari, Michael Schumacher finished 3rd in the championship after two dominant Williams. Yeah, the beginning was tough, but there was lots of positive and promising as well. Now Seb finished 3rd behind the two dominant Mercedes. Those two are well in front, but I am not bothered about it right now. P3 feels like a win. And this Vettel's all-white helmet, he is now forced to keep for the whole year ( :p: ), really looks striking in the distance compared to others, especially in red car. It truly feels like a new era!

Felipe Nasr - 5th - after a miserable season, Sauber had a stunning race, and a rookie driver from Brazil put in a fantastic performance. I have seen some great rookie drives before, like Magnussen second in Australia last year, or Pérez 7th in 2011 also in Sauber, before getting disqualified, or Webber fifth in 2002. These things are memorable. Great way to start a career, but there is concern he happened to punch above his weight for once and this result may not be replicated for a while.

Marcus Ericsson - 8th. To me this is like a true modern underdog story. A driver, from who you’d expect nothing. It is sort of like Luca Badoer or Marc Gene scoring a point in a Minardi back in the day. Ericsson is the kind of guy, who you’d expect to bring up the rear of the field all the time. But this time - 8th! This may remain his career-best result. But I am glad to have witnessed it. That a “minnow” has achieved his career-best result, points.:)

journeyman racer
17th March 2015, 13:49
A week on. I've got to say, I enjoyed myself on Friday. For some reason, I've always been put off from going. I get some self satisfaction from being a "GP snob", despite having a passion for motorsport. But still, it took til the 20th GP in Melbourne for me to go. The AGP Corporation don't really represent the race well through the local media here. If you're aware of Ron Walker, he's just an arrogant ****. I won't go for a race day. But I'm actually looking forward to next year!

jens
17th March 2015, 18:22
Alonso couldn't have picked a better race to sit out. The McLarens are slow and unreliable. Has a slow and unreliable car ever won anything?

Fisichella in the Jordan in Brazil 2003.:p:

It was certainly a slow car that year, and so unreliable it caught fire right after the red flag. But it won! :p:

Doc Austin
17th March 2015, 18:34
Fisichella in the Jordan in Brazil 2003.:p:

It was certainly a slow car that year, and so unreliable it caught fire right after the red flag. But it won! :p:

Not only that, but if I remember right they gave Fisichella a special podium ceremony at the next race because he was not declared the winner until after they had already left brazil. Does anyone else remember that or am I thinking of something else?

jens
17th March 2015, 18:48
Not only that, but if I remember right they gave Fisichella a special podium ceremony at the next race because he was not declared the winner until after they had already left brazil. Does anyone else remember that or am I thinking of something else?

Yeah it was so. Though it wasn't exactly a podium ceremony in San Marino (the next weekend). Just Räikkönen gave his winning trophy to Fisichella and they were posing, while photographers took pictures.:)

Doc Austin
17th March 2015, 22:42
Thanks, Jens. I didn't quite remember.