PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Cricket World Cup

steveaki13
17th February 2015, 12:58
There are probably not many people who will post on this, but we were discussing it on interview thread.

So early days

G1 - New Zealand, Australia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, England, Scotland & Afghanistan

G2 - South Africa, West Indies, India, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, UAE & Ireland

We have already seen a massive shock, with Ireland continuing there run of beating test nations after Pakistan in 2007 & England in 2011. They beat West Indies the other day.

New Zealand have played 2 matches and didnt impress in the game v Scotland. They appeared to not take in that seriously.

Anyway chat away. :p

steveaki13
17th February 2015, 13:01
My Predictions for the Group stage. Top 4 go through

G1:

1. Australia
2. New Zealand
3. Sri Lanka
4. England
5. Afghanistan
6. Bangladesh
7. Scotland

Bold prediction for Group 2.
G2
1. South Africa
2. India
3. Pakistan
4. Ireland
5. West Indies
6. Zimbabwe
7. UAE

anfield5
17th February 2015, 20:14
My Predictions for the Group stage. Top 4 go through

G1:

1. Australia
2. New Zealand
3. Sri Lanka
4. England
5. Afghanistan
6. Bangladesh
7. Scotland

Bold prediction for Group 2.
G2
1. South Africa
2. India
3. Pakistan
4. Ireland
5. West Indies
6. Zimbabwe
7. UAE

Group 1
1. NZ
2. AUS
3. Sri Lanka
4. England
5. Banga
6. Afghanistan
7. Scotland

reasoning - NZ play Aus in NZ, in our conditions we are simply better than the Aussies. Earlier in the year Aus went to UAE to play Pakistan and were flogged. Immediately after NZ did the same trip, drew the test series and won the one dayers. i.e AUS can struggle away from home. Sri Lanka have more quality than England, even though many of Sri Lanka's players are nearing retirement plus I can see England coming unstuck against either Banga or Afghanistan (they tend to lose a game like this in every World Cup).

Group 2
1. South Africa
2. India
3. Pakistan
4. West Indies
5. Ireland
6. Zim
7. UAE

reasoning - South Africa are simply better than the rest. I would have picked Pakistan over India, until the Indians beat Pakistan a few days ago. India never travel well. Even though Ireland beat Windies, I can see the Windies knocking over Pakistan and/or India, whereas Ireland have had their cup final already. (I hope I am wrong because the Irish were awesome and the West Indies probably don't deserve to get through)
Zimbabwe are capable of causing an upset or two, while the UAE are out of their depth.

1/4 finals
NZ vs Windies (or Ireland) - NZ comfortable winners
AUS vs India - AUS easily
Sri Lanka vs Pakistan - close call as both are capable of greatness but Sri Lanka scraping through
South Africa vs England - sorry England you dont have a prayer in this one.

SEMI FINALS
NZ vs Sri Lanka - NZ. These teams have played 7 times in the past month and NZ are 5-2 in front.
AUS vs South Africa - hard call. In Aus, the Aussies are awesomely good (but Warner will have been kicked out of the cup by then and Johnson will be injured as will Clark) so South Africa will shade this one.

FINAL NZ vs South Africa. In Aus on bouncy pitches the Proteas will be odds on to win. Great team great players, man for man they are slightly better. But if McCallum, Wiliamson and one other batsman and Boult, Southee and the bowlers are on song it could go either way.

My history of predicting results is rubbish - so expect the final to be UAE vs Scotland :)

steveaki13
17th February 2015, 23:59
Great stuff Anfield

anfield5
18th February 2015, 02:52
Great stuff Anfield

I aim to please :)

Big Ben
18th February 2015, 08:23
I don't like crickets. I don't like most insects.

donKey jote
18th February 2015, 19:44
stuff Anfield

as Billy's Missus once said :andrea:

journeyman racer
20th February 2015, 10:28
Horrific from England.

steveaki13
20th February 2015, 11:59
That was truly woeful and fully deserved. We are playing terribly and deserve to be trashed. Well done New Zealand who are really on a role now.

Would not be 100% sure we will beat Scotland with how low form and confidence is.

raybak
20th February 2015, 12:43
Might actually go to see the Windies play in Canberra on Tuesday as plenty of tickets available.

journeyman racer
20th February 2015, 23:18
In local cricket I've played. Where there can be discrepancies in ability due to availability of players in various grades. The closest I can remember to 49 off 2 overs, was an inexperienced spinner in a 3 over spell that went for 51.

journeyman racer
21st February 2015, 02:16
Just picked up my tickets for SA/Ind and SL/Bang.

anfield5
22nd February 2015, 19:57
India demolish South Africa, can honestly say I didn't see this one coming. Saturday - NZ vs Aus, - can't wait, but with S.A. losing, the winner of the NZ/Aus game will probably meet them in the semi-final.

steveaki13
22nd February 2015, 23:10
England v Scotland. Could be the end of my sanity if we lose this one.

Which I believe we could.

journeyman racer
24th February 2015, 12:44
You were wrong.

anfield5
24th February 2015, 19:53
You were wrong.

I'm always wrong :)

Chris Gayle has finally arrived, what an incredible innings 215 off 147 balls - amazing!

steveaki13
24th February 2015, 21:02
Chris Gayle was astonishing last night. Amazing hitting

Rollo
25th February 2015, 00:38
Chris Gayle was astonishing last night. Amazing hitting

Gayle struck the ball cleanly and efficiently, so fair dos to him.

But this was
...at Manuka Oval.

The grounds that the teams are playing on have had the ropes come in massively, so as to make all the grounds comparable.
Manuka Oval is 55m to the boundary at one point. Eden Park is 61m to the boundary at one point.
Compare that with the usual boundaries for the SCG at 74m or the MCG which is 85m wide.

Admittedly bat technology has improved out of sight over the last ten years but even so, scores at the 2015 World Cup are being distorted because they're playing on postage stamps of grounds.
In churches' cricket I've played on larger grounds than the World Cup is currently playing on.

journeyman racer
26th February 2015, 01:00
1 character

journeyman racer
26th February 2015, 01:05
2 characters

journeyman racer
26th February 2015, 02:19
Off to SL/Bangers now.

anfield5
26th February 2015, 20:00
SOuth Africa v Windies later today, South Africa need to win if they have a hope of finishing top of their group.

But more importantly NZ v Aus tomorrow, the whole country is up for this, hopefully it lives up to the hype. Unfortunaely David 'The Fe$%^king Idiot' Warner has already started mouthing off. He is like a chimp at a tea party - can't stop babbling nonsense and throwing his toys around. (plus he does kinds resemble the missing link). Here's hoping the game is remembered for the right reasons and not because of this particularly unpleasant moron.

journeyman racer
28th February 2015, 03:26
I'm loving NZ destroyation of Australia atm. anfield5 still won't give a like though.

steveaki13
28th February 2015, 09:29
I'm loving NZ destroyation of Australia atm. anfield5 still won't give a like though.

:D

anfield5
1st March 2015, 19:51
You posted half way through the game my friend. (gave a like anyway)

What an incredible game of 20/twenty cricket. This just proves teams don't need to score 350 runs to provide a spectacle. Simply breathtaking.

anfield5
2nd March 2015, 03:21
http://www.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/3/r/t/m/c/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.620x349. 13rtho.png/1425184608590.jpg

For those who think cricket is a safe, gentle sport. This is what a cricket ball moving at 150 km'h does when it hits your unprotected arm.

journeyman racer
2nd March 2015, 09:45
You posted half way through the game my friend. (gave a like anyway)

What an incredible game of 20/twenty cricket. This just proves teams don't need to score 350 runs to provide a spectacle. Simply breathtaking.
Would you give a like because I was happy Wellington Phoenix beat Melbourne Victory yesterday? I thought Ernie Merrick was harshly treated by the Melbourne press and public. So I actually hope he jags an A-league title before Victory does. Even before Melb City.

journeyman racer
2nd March 2015, 09:56
Regarding the game. I think NZ biggest problem was psychological. They played to the score and not to a run rate. They should've won 4 down. But because they "only" needed 152, they just didn't follow through with McCullum's innings. Taylor, Elliot, Milne and Southee were particularly pathetic. Had they needed 200 to win. I reckon they would've chased it down, but suffered at similar tension filled collapse. Just 50 runs later.

Time passes quickly and the world moves on. After seeing Sangakkara score a ton on Thursday, he then backs up with another against England on Sunday. Whereas I'm still recovering from seeing Sanga and Dilshan'a efforts. That's now two games in a row where Jayawardene is next to bat at 4, but doesn't face a ball! He must make sure he's sharp during training.

anfield5
2nd March 2015, 19:56
Regarding the game. I think NZ biggest problem was psychological. They played to the score and not to a run rate. They should've won 4 down. But because they "only" needed 152, they just didn't follow through with McCullum's innings. Taylor, Elliot, Milne and Southee were particularly pathetic. Had they needed 200 to win. I reckon they would've chased it down, but suffered at similar tension filled collapse. Just 50 runs later.

Time passes quickly and the world moves on. After seeing Sangakkara score a ton on Thursday, he then backs up with another against England on Sunday. Whereas I'm still recovering from seeing Sanga and Dilshan'a efforts. That's now two games in a row where Jayawardene is next to bat at 4, but doesn't face a ball! He must make sure he's sharp during training.

You are quite correct re NZ. The same reasoning can be used to expalin why it was so difficult against Scotland i.e. chasing a small score, and getting there... just. NZ are absolutely a bat first team. With no chase to worry about, they can easily score 350, then roll any opposition for 100 and not too many.

Re the Pheonix - great result. Can't understand the Melbourne press and public had a go at Ernie, the Victory cut him lose, he didn't leave them, so the fact that he is now getting the Phoenix to play the best football in the A-league is Melbourne's own fault. :)

journeyman racer
4th March 2015, 13:59
I'll quit while I'm ahead with the likes.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/3/r/t/m/c/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.620x349. 13rtho.png/1425184608590.jpg

For those who think cricket is a safe, gentle sport. This is what a cricket ball moving at 150 km'h does when it hits your unprotected arm.
Tbh, it just looks like a rippling muscle.

Re the Pheonix - great result. Can't understand the Melbourne press and public had a go at Ernie, the Victory cut him lose, he didn't leave them, so the fact that he is now getting the Phoenix to play the best football in the A-league is Melbourne's own fault. :)
The sense of entitlement by the Australian football community here is extraordinarily large. Melbourne being a big city, reflects this attitude. Ernie also didn't fit the "Messiah" criteria, that people here, deep down, really want.

journeyman racer
4th March 2015, 14:06
Just when the possibility of threatening Sharma's record score was there for the taking, Warner gets knocked off and doesn't even break Australia's record one day score. Loser!

anfield5
5th March 2015, 00:29
Warner is all class. Did you see the start of the after match press conference? What an absolute tosser!

journeyman racer
9th March 2015, 13:30
I hope this loss from England leads to an overhaul, which then leads to a stronger team.

harsha
9th March 2015, 15:15
I hope this loss from England leads to an overhaul, which then leads to a stronger team.

KP and his media brigade read Piers Morgan will be on full steam now.

It's funny seeing England lose in Football and Cricket.

anfield5
9th March 2015, 19:51
I am proudly English by birth, but I have to say I punched the air when Anderson again showed us his batting prowess. Well done Banga!

Probable 1/4 finals
A1/B4. New Zealand v West Indies (or Ireland)
A2/B3. Australia vs Pakistan (or South Africa)
A3/B2. Sri Lanka vs South Africa (or Pakistan)
A4/B1. Bangladesh vs India

harsha
11th March 2015, 07:20
I think Ireland should go ahead of Windies. Either way , India qualifying for the quarters at the top of the group is overachieving considering how much they sucked at the Australian Tour

steveaki13
11th March 2015, 09:43
Yes its the ultimate peak at the right time from India.

Blimey they were losing to England in the warm ups.

journeyman racer
11th March 2015, 13:50
, India qualifying for the quarters at the top of the group is overachieving considering how much they sucked at the Australian Tour
It seems there was a lot of sand in that bag.

anfield5
11th March 2015, 19:52
It seems there was a lot of sand in that bag.

Not really. 15 months ago they came to NZ and got absolutely demolished. They have a history of touring badly and failing off the sub continent, then hitting form at the world cup. It seems to be an attitude thing with them. It will be interesting if they make the semi against Australia (or South Africa). If it is Aus in Aus I can see India falling short.

Even more impressive than India's turn around is that of Sri Lanka.

steveaki13
11th March 2015, 21:29
Sangakkara has been amazing, and as he is heading for retirement too.

Is that 4 consecutive hundreds?

anfield5
11th March 2015, 21:43
Sangakkara has been amazing, and as he is heading for retirement too.

Is that 4 consecutive hundreds?

Yes it is. He is the only player in the history of 50 over international cricket to do this, overtaking Ross Taylor who hit 3 in a row 14 months ago

steveaki13
11th March 2015, 22:15
Amazing record. If he makes it 5 it will be amazing against a better team.

anfield5
11th March 2015, 22:52
It will, but remember he did make 104 against Australia as part of his run.

v NZL 39 from (38 balls) sr = 102.63
v Afghanistan 7 (13) = 53.84
v Bangladesh 105 (76) = 138.16
v England 117 (86) = 136.05
v Australia 104 (107) = 97.20
v Scotland 124 (95) = 130.53

TOTAL 496 runs from (415 balls) = strike rate of 119.52 = ASTONISHING!!!

Plus he now has the record number of dismissals in World Cup history with 57

steveaki13
11th March 2015, 23:15
Of course, but a high pressure QF will be the 5th if it happens.

Would love to see it.

As for England, wow a big shake up needed.

anfield5
12th March 2015, 01:36
How often though do England bottle things in World Cups (and not just cricket world cups)? I wonder if it has anything to do with the stooooooooooooooopid amounts they are paid to play games. Make the players earn their pay and maybe they would have more than they are currently showing.

journeyman racer
15th March 2015, 11:33
As an Aussie. I'm confident in saying it's got nothing to do with how much they pay players, but more to do with an overall poor culture regarding sport. When they put their mind to it, they can become a leading or dominant team in any competition.

Their problem is, is that they care more about themselves, their city, town or regions 's success more than the whole country's. They care more about the local football team winning the next derby more than the country winning the World Cup (in any sport).

To back up my point up from the first paragraph. In anticipation of the London Olympics, they wanted to succeed, they were overwhelming with success (even after a slow start). After being beaten up by Australia for yonks in cricket, they applied themselves after 02/03 Ashes, then they beat up the dominant Australian team. When winning the Ashes in England wasn't good enough, then crunched Australia in Australia.

There is no doubt in my mind. If the football team got their act together, they could win Euro2016. This selfish/unpatriotic view may be the reason why Britain has an outstanding history in F1/motorsport. Rather than being attached to the country, it's more about an individual or organisation (race team) that's not tied to a region.

anfield5
15th March 2015, 19:58
I agree, my point about money was kinda saying similar things. Sadly many (usually) English players are too wrapped up in themselves and don't have the 'die for the cause' attitude that most Aussie and NZ sportsmen/women have. The same criticism can be leveled at the Indian cricket team. Most of the time they are appalling on tours. NZ always thrash them over here, so do Aus , Eng and most other hosts. They only play well at home.... or once every four years at the world cup. Their perfomances over the last month show just how damn good the Indians are. When England can be bothered they can have the same levels of performance.

anfield5
16th March 2015, 21:36
Quarter Finals

1. Sri Lanka vs South Africa
pre tournament South Africa would have been a shoe in in this match, but they havn't looked that good against quality opposition (quality sub-continent opposition as both India and Pakistan have hammered them). Sri Lanka have stepped up and are playing well, but they do depend on Sangakkara. If South Africa play to their best they should still win.

2. Bangladesh vs India
Bangaldesh have shown that they can compete with the elite teams, but India will be just too good for them to cause an upset. (hope I'm wrong because I love the way Banga have been playing)

3. Australia vs Pakistan
In Australia the Aussies will be hard to beat. But Pakistan have looked awesome at times, and easily disposed of South Africa. My head tells me that Aussie will win, but it might not be as strait forward as many are thinking.

4. New Zealand v West Indies
Should be the most predictable of all of the matches. NZ are playing well and last time the Windies played them in NZ it was quite embarrassing for them. Having said that if Chris Gayle fires and can get some support from 2 other batsmen, they do have the ability to win the match.

journeyman racer
23rd March 2015, 13:54
It didn't occur to me til it was mentioned on radio. But the winner of tomorrow's game will mean a first time WC finalist. So for that reason alone, I'm excited about the final.

But I'm excited anyway, because I still have no idea who will be playing in the final, let alone winning it. There's a certain destiny for Australia. But then, there's a certain destiny for NZ as well! It's just their history isn't as big as Australia's. India have been here all summer and have not beaten Australia once. So the probability of beating Australia for the first time on Thursday is high, rendering the previous results insignificant. SA, so many WC heartbreaks. I think it'll be all the more sweeter for the Saffas to knock off Australia in Australia for their first win.

You can see all scenarios playing out

anfield5
23rd March 2015, 20:02
Quarter finals went pretty much to script, but good luck predicting the results of the semi's.

New Zealand have beaten South Africa twice in warm up matches before the World Cup, but there was no pressure on so this doesn't mean much. So far in the tournament NZ have done all that has been asked and won every time out, where as SA. have buckled in two games when fast bowling attacks have hit them.
NZ are without their express bowler Adam Milne (out for the rest of the cup) so their fast attack is blunted somewhat.

PREDICTION: Will be won by the team who makes the fewest mistakes. Both are more than able to win the cup. As a NZer I will have to pick NZ, but if South Africa win (which is more than possible) good luck to them and I will be backing them in the final.

Australia vs India. Aus have dominated India in Australia in a recent series, so they will start as clear front runners. As with the first semi though both can win. India unbeaten and untroubled, Aus with one narrow loss to NZ in pool play, both in good form, both with world class players.

PREDICTION: Too close to call, but at home AUS possibly have a slight edge.

journeyman racer
24th March 2015, 12:28
That was a tremendous game! NZ had the game for most of their innings. But SA clawed their way back to be "leading" in the last couple of overs. An all-time great game of cricket. Aus/Ind are going to have to pull something every deep to equal that contest.

anfield5
24th March 2015, 19:55
Oh My God! What a game of cricket. Absolutely over the moon with NZ, one of the biggest wins in any sport the country has ever had.

Condolences to South Africa, no one deserved to lose that match and as a NZ supporter we know how it feels to miss out on the final (we have lost semi's 6 times :()

Strangely most of NZ want to play Aus in the final now, even though India would be an easier match, so all eyes to the secong semi tomorrow.

journeyman racer
24th March 2015, 22:23
India won't be an easier match.

anfield5
24th March 2015, 23:09
India won't be an easier match.

It absolutely will be easier - not for an instant saying it will be easy, but easier for several very good reasons.

1. Home town support - if AUS get through there will be 90,000 avid Aussie supporters behind them and NZ will be in very hostile territory, if India get through many in the crowd will be supporting NZ.

2. Home condition advantage. Aus in Aus is a far tougher prospect then anyone else in Aus, simply because neither team is used to the conditions.

3. The ANZAC rivalry thing means there is always an extra dimension when Aus and NZ go head to head.

4. No disrespect meant to India, but man for man Aus (especially their bowlers) are slightly better than India (as I already said India are very very very good).

Storm
25th March 2015, 06:07
NZ should win it all. Haven't watched a ball of this cup, won't watch either but ever since I have watched cricket for a long time before giving it up, I have always liked the Kiwis.

journeyman racer
25th March 2015, 08:56
It absolutely will be easier - not for an instant saying it will be easy, but easier for several very good reasons.

1. Home town support - if AUS get through there will be 90,000 avid Aussie supporters behind them and NZ will be in very hostile territory, if India get through many in the crowd will be supporting NZ.

2. Home condition advantage. Aus in Aus is a far tougher prospect then anyone else in Aus, simply because neither team is used to the conditions.

3. The ANZAC rivalry thing means there is always an extra dimension when Aus and NZ go head to head.

4. No disrespect meant to India, but man for man Aus (especially their bowlers) are slightly better than India (as I already said India are very very very good).

There'll be more Indians at the SCG tomorrow than Australians. Having been to two games at the MCG involving India, I can tell you the crowd is intense. There won't wont' be any Indians hoping NZ beat them in the final. Whereas there'll be a pocket of Aussies that'll prefer to see NZ beat some of these nuffies that represent Australia. Like me for instance.

Storm
25th March 2015, 14:07
^I personally know plenty of people who are actually travelling or have already been there just for the games....and not just Indians living in Australia but people living as far away as doh India, California and the UK! Its's insane. I could have been one of those if I was still watching cricket or as passionate about the game as I was 10-15 years ago.

journeyman racer
26th March 2015, 12:22
So that's that then. Australia New Zealand final. We've seen in other sports. The team the won the previous matchup in the completion, loses the final. It will be interesting to see how the game plays out on a bigger ground. It's going to be a tough challenge for both teams.

jens
26th March 2015, 12:40
Discussion in another thread brought me here as it caught attention.:D

So it is going to be anfield5 vs journeyman racer final.:D Enjoy the neighbour-battle!

journeyman racer
26th March 2015, 12:44
I don't like the Australian team, and would prefer to see NZ get up. anfield5 offends me more by being a Liverpool supporter.

jens
26th March 2015, 13:00
Looking at history, I just realized New Zealand has never won the Cup though I have got the impression they have always been a competitive team with a strong tradition. Meanwhile Australia is the most successful team ever.

So perhaps from that angle it would be good if NZL won for once.:)

Storm
26th March 2015, 14:22
NZ vs Aus and NZ to win.

^jens they have always been competitive but being such a small nation with a small talent pool has often been an obstacle. (of course that never stopped Holland being good at football :s )

jens
26th March 2015, 15:09
NZ vs Aus and NZ to win.

^jens they have always been competitive but being such a small nation with a small talent pool has often been an obstacle. (of course that never stopped Holland being good at football :s )

Incidentally Holland has never won the football World Cup either even though as you say, they have always been very competitive. Then again Uruguay with even a smaller talent pool (3-4 Million inhabitants) has two football World Cups...

Anyway, as you say, the amount of people and talent pool certainly limits some things. So all things considered newzealanders are doing great.:)

anfield5
26th March 2015, 19:59
I don't like the Australian team, and would prefer to see NZ get up. anfield5 offends me more by being a Liverpool supporter.

SO when I tell you I am not just a Liverpool supporter, but a born and bred scouser, I might tip you over the edge completely :)

anfield5
26th March 2015, 19:59
Looking at history, I just realized New Zealand has never won the Cup though I have got the impression they have always been a competitive team with a strong tradition. Meanwhile Australia is the most successful team ever.

So perhaps from that angle it would be good if NZL won for once.:)

NZ have never even been to a final. Beaten in the semis 6 times until this week

anfield5
26th March 2015, 20:12
FINAL.

Aus v NZ.

Difficult to predict. As a Kiwi obviously every fibre of my being wants to see a NZ victory. Hugely difficult task though. For the first time in this cup NZ will be the underdogs. Playing Aus in Aus was always going to be the biggest threat.

The two best teams are in the final, both can easily win (not win easily). For NZ if McCallum gets a decent start and Guptil, Williamson and Taylor add the backbone, the likes of Anderson and Elliot can take NZ to 300-350. For the first time in a long while NZ have the batting power to recover from a bad start and bat all the way to 11 (Trent Boult is no mug with the bat). Aussie has some great bowling options and are capaable of doing some serious damage, although arguably the best opening bowling pair were South Avfricas, and look what NZ did to Steyn!

NZ has the best bowling attack unit it has possibly ever had with Boult and Southee, backed up by the pace of Henry (sad loss not havong the impressive Adam Milne available). Backed up by the old man (Vettori) and the aggression of Anderson. This is balanced out by a damn good Aus batting line up. FIinch played very well against India. Warner is a total arse-head, but still a tremendous talent. Smith is hitting top form and can win a game on his own. Clarke is due, Maxwell is erm..... enigmatic and can produce miracles, and the rest of the line up are on their day can be world beaters.

PREDICTION
Aus to start odd on. But as with the NZ/S.A. semi, the winner will be the team who makes the least number of mistakes under pressure. NZ to win..... just in an absolute cracker of a match.

*If NZ fall short and Aus win because they are slightly better NZ will be proud. If the result goes the other way, I am not sure how the Aus public will react. For this reason I think (just my opinion) Nz have less to lose and less pressure on than the Aussies, whether or not this will make a difference?

journeyman racer
26th March 2015, 22:41
SO when I tell you I am not just a Liverpool supporter, but a born and bred scouser, I might tip you over the edge completely :)
Nah, you're alright.

- Being a scouser doesn't necessarily mean Liverpool supporter. There are some that support Everton as well.

- I don't know why my post was deleted. But you quoting me keeps my quote on the page.

- Two of your 3 likes so far are my posts.

So you're pretty good actually.

Storm
27th March 2015, 06:11
Incidentally Holland has never won the football World Cup either even though as you say, they have always been very competitive. Then again Uruguay with even a smaller talent pool (3-4 Million inhabitants) has two football World Cups...
Yes I remembered after I posted that Holland have failed to win a WC too but they have won Euro and always been at the cutting edge of the sport... For cricket to call it's cup a world cup is a stretch so I would say it is on par to a continental cup like the Euro. Most of the teams playing cricket have a lot in common but aren't geographically close.

Also NZ has to put up with cricket not really being the #1 sport in the country while Holland has no such problem :)

journeyman racer
28th March 2015, 23:07
It's better for cricket if NZ wins.

GO NZ!

steveaki13
29th March 2015, 11:36
Sadly the Final appears to be an absolute rout really. New Zealand have crumbled at the final hurdle. However Australia deserve it.

Storm
29th March 2015, 15:54
What an anti-climax, I saw the score and it reminds me of the '99 final when Pakistan were similarly dismantled by Australia.

anfield5
29th March 2015, 20:45
Sadly the Final appears to be an absolute rout really. New Zealand have crumbled at the final hurdle. However Australia deserve it.

Not fair to say NZ crumbled. Aus were just quite awesome today. NZ be proud, first time in a final, well done.

As to the match sadly NZ had their worst performance of the cup, while Aus had their best, in that scenario there would only be one outcome, and you can't really argue that the better team on the day won the match.

Mitch Starc's first over was undoubtedly the best over of bowling in the entire cup and set the tone for the game.

steveaki13
29th March 2015, 22:46
You are right. Australia were awesome.

I wrote that while a bit annoyed as I was supporting NZ. :) They had a great tournament though. Brilliant team.

anfield5
29th March 2015, 23:57
I hope they get the reception they deserve later today when they arrive home, knowing NZ their reception will be almost as good as if they had won. As it should be.

Rollo
30th March 2015, 08:17
Oh shot, not even ow. The Kiwis did heaps mean, Chur bro.

journeyman racer
30th March 2015, 09:38
I would write what my thoughts on here. But then I'd be repeating the same stuff I'v stated elsewhere. I'm Brian Lara on Big Cricket.

http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/elimination-stages-world-cup-quarter-finals-semi-finals-and-finals.184594/page-9

Storm
10th April 2015, 07:26
Not sure if this is the right place..but Richie Benaud is no more :(

The voice of cricket when I was growing up, one of my favourites...understated and classy

steveaki13
10th April 2015, 19:48
Sad news.

A true great of Cricket. Made the game a better sport to watch on TV all over the globe I imagine.