PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Siege

Rollo
15th December 2014, 06:57
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/sydney-siege-hostages-cafe-martin-place-police-operation/5967232
Three people have emerged from the Lindt Chocolat Cafe in Sydney's Martin Place, where an armed offender is holding a number of hostages.
Two came out through the front door and one through the fire escape.
Hostages were earlier seen pressing a black flag with Arabic text against the cafe's windows.
- ABC News, 15th Dec 2014

At least one armed offender is holding between 30 and 40 people hostage in the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place, Sydney.

This has been going on now for about seven hours and not much is happening; so news outlets are looking are extra talking heads and people in suits in lieu of actual news.
It also means that trains are in chaos, part of the city is in lockdown and many businesses have closed for the day.

I was supposed to be in court this morning on a forensic accounts case but that was cancelled.

Rollo
15th December 2014, 09:06
Nine hours later... nothing really has changed.
No shots have been fired and everything is still in lockdown.

I came home on an eerily empty train. The Eastern Suburbs Railway line through Martin Place is closed as well.

driveace
15th December 2014, 22:05
Police decide to take action resulting in two innocent people loading their lives ,plus the Iranian hostage taker

Rollo
15th December 2014, 22:47
Police decide to take action resulting in two innocent people loading their lives ,plus the Iranian hostage taker

The news reported that the police only entered the cafe after they heard shots being fired.

Of course this whole event now brings into question as to why this man who had a rap sheet as long as your arm and was on bail on a charge of accessory to murder, relating to the death of his ex-wife, was afforded bail in the first place and how he was able to acquire a firearm in the first place.

Starter
16th December 2014, 01:59
Welcome to the world of the random wacko Rollo. And, now that you mention it, weren't you one of the ones that have been saying in reference to the US how if we just made guns illegal all would be OK?

Rollo
16th December 2014, 02:27
And how pray tell would widening the access to guns in Australia have helped?
Australia probably had 7% of its total homicides by firearm yesterday. Giving more mad men access to guns is stupid.

Starter
16th December 2014, 03:13
And how pray tell would widening the access to guns in Australia have helped?
Australia probably had 7% of its total homicides by firearm yesterday. Giving more mad men access to guns is stupid.
More importantly, how did restricting access prevent it?

Rollo
16th December 2014, 03:53
Given that Australia has a homicide rate by firearms between thirty and fifty times lower than that of the US per capita, that's a fait accompli.
How many times a month does this sort of thing happen in the US?

Storm
16th December 2014, 06:09
These types of stand-alone terrorist acts (which the western media is afraid to say - calling it a "gunman" and not a terrorist - wacko or not ) are unavoidable tbh. Guns accessible or not. But the type of regular joes going on shooting sprees in schools - because guns are easily available? that is a different case.

2 Indian origin - Aussie residents were hostages too, but got out safe. Sadly 2 other people did not. I wonder if they got shot at by the police or by the terrorist himself - conflicting reports.

henners88
16th December 2014, 13:46
Welcome to the world of the random wacko Rollo. And, now that you mention it, weren't you one of the ones that have been saying in reference to the US how if we just made guns illegal all would be OK?
Oh yeah because this is a perfect scenario to advocate everybody having access to guns! I've never heard anything so absurd in my life! lol

'You can walk into our schools and shoot our kids but you won't take hostages in our cities because we have the right to bear arms!'

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2014, 18:32

What a ridiculous, dimwitted, irrational post.

driveace
16th December 2014, 21:15
BUt the latest massacre in Afghanistan by the Cowards called the Taleban ,make the Australian shooting look small.News is 130 children killed when 5 Talaban fighters with guns entered a school there ! What cowards are the Talaban to massacre children in this way

Starter
16th December 2014, 21:38
What a ridiculous, dimwitted, irrational post.
Only to those with a closed mind on the subject. Some refuse to see any difference between the tool and the tool user. Try addressing the real cause - mentally ill people.

Starter
16th December 2014, 21:40
BUt the latest massacre in Afghanistan by the Cowards called the Taleban ,make the Australian shooting look small.News is 130 children killed when 5 Talaban fighters with guns entered a school there ! What cowards are the Talaban to massacre children in this way
Something we can agree on.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2014, 22:33
Only to those with a closed mind on the subject. Some refuse to see any difference between the tool and the tool user. Try addressing the real cause - mentally ill people.

'Closed mind'

/ironic

Storm
17th December 2014, 05:52
134 kids in Army Public School at Peshawar, horrible...

schmenke
17th December 2014, 15:51
As driveace said... cowards.

Rollo
18th December 2014, 00:44

Mental illness has not been described as a cause for this incident by any of the news media.

Starter
18th December 2014, 02:03
Mental illness has not been described as a cause for this incident by any of the news media.
That you would consider the news media to be a reliable judge of anything is pretty funny.

henners88
18th December 2014, 14:44
That you would consider the news media to be a reliable judge of anything is pretty funny.
Are you reliable?

Starter
18th December 2014, 15:01
Are you reliable?
No, I'm Starter. I don't remember reliable being on this board.

henners88
18th December 2014, 15:56
No, I'm Starter. I don't remember reliable being on this board.
Well if you see him, tell him his gun cabinet is open.

janvanvurpa
18th December 2014, 17:05
with Kalashnikovs and grenades....

instead of from inside an air-conditioned warehouse outside of Omaha, Nebraska by a USAF technician looking at a video screen and playing with a joy-stick controlling a drone,

like we do.:rolleyes:

schmenke
18th December 2014, 19:03
Not even remotely close to an analogy janvanvurpa.

And please let's not hijack an already hijacked thread.