PDA

View Full Version : Mattiacci given the horses head.

anfield5
24th November 2014, 20:11
This surprised me a wee bit. Ferrari can hardly blame Marco for the 2014 debacle. He walked into a team in disarray with a car that was at best average. The cars main issue was the under-powered engine, but the chassis seemed to be quite poor as well, all he could realistically do was paper the cracks and ensure things were better in 2015.

I have no idea about the internal goings on at Maranello and what political games are happening but I feel for Mattiacci. Mr Arrivabene might need to watch his back, or he could be Departabene quite quickly

henners88
24th November 2014, 20:34
He was always a short term solution as far as I am aware. I doubt they are parting on bad terms and this wasn't a surprise.

Doc Austin
24th November 2014, 20:41
Seems a bit harsh to toss him completely out of the company. He wasn't very successful, but they didn't exactly give him much to work with or time to accomplish anything.

Maybe Alonso was right to bail out if that's the way they are going to treat their people. Then again, look how McLaren has been stringing Button along and how Vergne can't get an answer out of Torro Rosso. Maybe all of these teams are like this.

N4D13
24th November 2014, 23:32
Whoa, something doesn't really add up here. The first two things that come to my mind are:

- Maybe he was a short-term solution. However, it doesn't make much sense to toss in someone only for... how long has it been, six months?
- Someone above is really upset that he let Alonso go. However, it is absolutely unlike Ferrari to go begging for a driver.

So what I'm thinking is that maybe he has been fired because of his lack of understanding of how F1 works. He was criticized for coming from a non-racing environment and it is not difficult to see how this would have been a limitation to run a F1 team. Arrivabene's background suggests that he might be a more fitting choice for the role. And yes, it's harsh on Mattiacci, but the Italian don't make prisoners...

pino
25th November 2014, 08:29
All Teams in F1 don't make prisoners, not only Italians. As for Mattiacci, everyone knew, he was only there for this season. Arrivabene is an experienced manager, and as Philip Morris vice-president will make sure, Ferrari will get the financial support they need. Yes, he doesn't have any racing experience, but somebody else will take care of that. Birds in Italy are saying, Ross Brown will be back as Technical/Racing Chief !

airshifter
25th November 2014, 13:28
Though many saw him as a short term and disposable solution, canning people at the drop of the hat is IMO one of the things hurting Ferrari. Rather than giving it some time so someone can make things gel, they tend to start chopping heads if the results don't show up immediately.

They need leadership that can motivate and promote the team environment. Until then I feel they are doomed to keep failing to learn from their own history.

At this point I'm not even sure Ross could iron things out.

zako85
25th November 2014, 13:54
Once again, I feel disgusted with Ferrari's association with the Big Tobacco at the time when pretty much every other team has moved on. Please don't tell me that Ferrari couldn't have found a capable candidate from some other pool that's not associated with tobacco.

Jag_Warrior
25th November 2014, 17:05
I'm not sure what's been confirmed yet, but to put Mattiaci completely out of the company, when he was one of the key architects of the sales/revenue push in North America, seems rather moronic. Put him back doing what he was very good at. Sheesh! It was Ferrari who set him up in this position (if they didn't know his background, who else would???), so this suggests to me that Ferrari is in all but complete disarray right now.

Wonder what Sergio is going to do if next season is as bad or worse (without Alonso carrying this red pig on his back) next year? We know the engine can't get MUCH better. Will Ferrari manage to design a better chassis? I bet just removing the "broken beak" look of this year's car will give it 2 tenths a lap. :D

Doc Austin
25th November 2014, 17:20
I'm not sure what's been confirmed yet, but to put Mattiaci completely out of the company...........

There has been no official announcement that he is totally out, but it sure doesn't sound like they are trying to include him either......

We would also like to thank Marco Mattiacci for his service to Ferrari in the last 15 years and we wish him well in his future endeavours. (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mattiacci-out-of-ferrari-as-arrivabene-confirmed-in-top-job/?v=2&s=1)Sergio Marchionne (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mattiacci-out-of-ferrari-as-arrivabene-confirmed-in-top-job/?v=2&s=1)

anfield5
25th November 2014, 23:29
It does appear that after 15 years with Ferrari Mattiacci has been shown the door, not just replaced as race team boss.

"Thanks for 15 years of excellent service, sorry you inherited a mess and a pile of red garbage in the race team, you have always performed with distinction for the company - DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT!!"

Storm
27th November 2014, 09:17
He was always a short term solution as far as I am aware. I doubt they are parting on bad terms and this wasn't a surprise.

yeah seems like he was never the #1 choice, just a stop-gap.

N4D13
27th November 2014, 10:21
From http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/11/24/ferrari-confirms-arivabene/

One little known fact ( I am told) is that Mattiacci had interviews with both Aston Martin and McLaren over their road car activities…

The move is a clear indication of the way in which Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne works…

Doc Austin
27th November 2014, 16:18
The move is a clear indication of the way in which Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne works…

Seems like his best tool is an axe..........

Tazio
27th November 2014, 16:32
he doesn't have any racing experience, but somebody else will take care of that

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/29/article-0-021A8FAB00000578-579_468x554.jpg

:angel:

veeten
27th November 2014, 19:10
let it go, taz. Just like He has... ;) :p

Tazio
27th November 2014, 20:20
let it go, taz. Just like He has... :p

You mean all the rest of my money? :confused:....oooooh-kaaaay...! :idea:

BTW a little factoid; Flav ' and The Taz share the same birth date, although he is a couple years older. :angel:

jens
27th November 2014, 21:57
Ferrari seems in a bit of a mess like in early 90s, when it was unclear, who the team principal actually was.
However, I do think they need to go through this mess for a brighter future. Sometimes you need to go really to the bottom to understand something and start re-building. It was so in early 1990s - after a few years of turmoil they finally hit the jackpot by signing Todt and things started gradually improving.

What is clear that Ferrari could not continue with the old stagnant Domenicali-di Montezemolo leadership. But change and a new start is always difficult. It could take a few years before Ferrari finds the right "platform" again for a brighter future. Could be tough for Vettel since he may need to endure a few lean years, but at least he already has 4 titles under his belt + is still relatively young, so he can take a few tough years I guess.