PDA

View Full Version : FIA post-race press conference - Abu Dhabi

News
23rd November 2014, 23:20
Reproduced with kind permission of the FIA DRIVERS: 1 - Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes); 2 - Felipe Massa (Williams); 3 - Valtteri Bottas (Williams)
PODIUM INTERVIEWS
(Conducted by Martin Brundle)
Q: Lewis, you did it. We saw the emotion on your face now when they were playing your national anthem. Can you try to put that into words for us, just how much this means to you?
Lewis Hamilton: I'm a bit lost for words really. I think one thing I want to say is a big, huge thank you to all the fans coming out all this way, all the flags, all the caps, everything, it made such a difference this weekend. Also to my family, thank you guys, thank you so much for coming, I really, really do appreciate it. My mum back home. And my team, who throughout the year did an incredible job and without them I wouldn't be here today. I can't really explain how much this means. It means even more than the first one. It feels like it's the first time. I feel so blessed.
Q: Wow. Tell us about the race a little bit, what a start you had to the grand prix!
LH: Yeah! That's my guy down here, giving me a good start. It was like a rocket! It was probably the best start I ever had. I knew from then on, straightaway, that I was in the lead. Obviously going into the race I had a couple of different options of how to approach the race. If I was behind then we'd see how it goes until the first stop but if I was ahead I knew I had to really, really race. The car was fantastic, we really got it spot on for the race. Obviously qualifying wasn't perfect but we got it ready for the race and that's what's most important.
Q: And then you heard on the radio: 'Nico has a problem'. What were your thoughts then?
LH: You know Nico put on an incredible fight throughout the year. He was a phenomenal competitor. We met each other back in 1997 and we always said it would be amazing to be racing in the same team and he did an amazing job today and very sad obviously to know that his car wasn't quick enough that we can fight in the end but still he was graceful enough to come up to me just now.
Q: Do you mind sharing with us what you said to each other after such an intense season? It's been a bit difficult from time to time between you, especially at Spa, and we saw you having words together.
LH: He just come into the room just now, very, very professional, and I just said fantastic. He said 'you drove really well'. And the same to him, all year long he drove incredibly well, especially in qualifying, so hat off to him.

Q: But there was a little man who kept you very honest through that grand prix, kept you on your toes, you had to keep some pace up towards the end and that was Felipe Massa. Felipe, I don't know about your but I'm thinking about 2008, when you were on the podium, the last time you won a grand prix, you must have thought I've got a chance to win again today, and this man took the championship off you a few seconds after you crossed the line. But what a race for you?
Felipe Massa: First of all, thank you everybody. Lewis, well done, congratulations, because you deserve it, you did a fantastic championship, your team, so congratulations really. Yeah, it was an incredible race for us. I didn't expect to have that pace and I didn't expect

More... (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/11/16688.html)