PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Regime of a touring car driver

AndySpeed
11th December 2006, 16:01
What sort of fitness regime does a typical touring car driver go through? I know that for a formula one driver there are strict training and exercise schedules, and was wondering what the general practice was for a BTCC or WTCC driver?

Does anyone have any reference material to this topic?

BTCC2
11th December 2006, 16:09
It really depends. guys who drive for fun e.g. Martyn Bell, Mark Smith and Jason Hughes will not be that much fitter than any of us. But there are drivers like Tom Chilton and James Thompson who are employed by big companies who are super fit. Maybe not as fit as an F1 driver but still a lot fitter than the average guy on the street.

AndySpeed
11th December 2006, 16:13
Indeed, a driver such as John George, who runs his own company in addition to BTCC racing, is hardly going to be as fit as someone who's full-time job is touring car racing employed by a large company as James Thompson or Andy Priaulx are.

What type of fitness programme would one of these drivers go through though?

Dave Clark
12th December 2006, 04:41
Colin Turkington adn Rob Collard both go running with WSRs trainer and the go running up and down the welsh hills. The also went cycling and drink special energy fruits blended together at the races!

Les
12th December 2006, 06:12
but there again those that teach as well have to be fit and do train regularly

stevenlcroucher
12th December 2006, 08:05
Colin Turkington adn Rob Collard both go running with WSRs trainer and the go running up and down the welsh hills. The also went cycling and drink special energy fruits blended together at the races!

You see! I've been saying all along that Rob Collard looked slimmer since joining WSR.

tyreman2
16th December 2006, 09:47
just thought you may find it interesting if i let you in on a few details of drivers fitness regimes that i know off Jamie Green appreciated from early karting days the importance of fitness and worked with a fitness coach based in coventry when he was seventeen,The coach considered stamina to be primary importance for a race driver,so Jamie joined the Cov based running club training with elite Kenyan athletes.he progresse to the point that he was offered a place in the clubs running team!
Katherine Legge had a crashelmet that had weights tied to it she used to lie on a bench with her head over the edge and lift her head up and down to develop her neck muscles
Adam Jones trains 6 times a week(when not racing) with a personel coach at the local David LLoyd centre. on a programme designed specifically for a racing driver.He only drinks water or a specially prepared sports drink and sticks to a very rigid diet.

Alfabeta2
16th December 2006, 22:14
Mark Proctors Fitness regime:

work out on arm mucles lifting pints.
work out on leg muscles carrying around plate of pies

A real yorkshire man. Hope he back nect year!

Robinho
17th December 2006, 15:13
Tom Chilton is super fit, and trains with a trainer alongside several sports stars, including F1 (test) driver Alex Wurz, i think i read an article in Autosport last year where a female Journo trained with them for a day and couldn't belive how fit these guys were.

however, i imagine there are a few drivers who don't put that much effort into their fitness, mostly the privateers who have better things to do with their time other than running up and down hills!

nicemms
17th December 2006, 15:46
Tom Chilton is super fit, and trains with a trainer alongside several sports stars, including F1 (test) driver Alex Wurz, i think i read an article in Autosport last year where a female Journo trained with them for a day and couldn't belive how fit these guys were.

however, i imagine there are a few drivers who don't put that much effort into their fitness, mostly the privateers who have better things to do with their time other than running up and down hills!

I imagine some of the privateers who own there own bussiness/work full time struggle to fit in a proper training programme. But I would have thought Matt Neal will be in a pretty good condition.

tdb
17th December 2006, 16:05
Mark Proctors Fitness regime:

work out on arm mucles lifting pints.
work out on leg muscles carrying around plate of pies

A real yorkshire man. Hope he back nect year!

Actually, Mark plays football, cycles and works bloody hard running his plant hire business, which involves lifting some seriously heavy weights.

Alfabeta2
17th December 2006, 16:40
Actually, Mark plays football, cycles and works bloody hard running his plant hire business, which involves lifting some seriously heavy weights.

besides kicking a ball round its pretty obvious hes not the fittest driver in btcc.

i often used to see him drinking late into the nights late at the circuit in his mobile home.