PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread

steveaki13
17th November 2014, 23:15
So here we are. After 18 of these we come the the final one of the season.

The 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be the first and hopefully the last double points race in F1 history and could be a key factor in deciding the 2014 F1 World Championship.

This is the weekend we find out whether Nico will join the ranks of World Champion or Lewis Hamilton moves onto the next level. Multiple Champion.

Moving in the final round these are the standings.

Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes

Nico Rosberg
Mercedes

Daniel Ricciardo
Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel
Red Bull

Fernando Alonso
Ferrari

Valterri Bottas
Williams

Jenson Button
Mclaren

Felipe Massa
Williams

Nico Hulkenberg
Force India

Kevin Magnussen
Mclaren

Kimi Raikkonen
Ferrari

Sergio Perez
Force India

Jean Eric Vergne
Toro Rosso

Romain Grosjean
Lotus

Dani Kyvat
Toro Rosso

Jules Binachi
Marussia

Pastor Maldonado
Lotus

Adrian Sutil
Sauber

Marcus Ericsson
Caterham

Esteban Gutierrez
Sauber

Max Chilton
Marussia

Kamui Kobayashi
Caterham

Andre Lotterer
Caterham

An interesting battle for 4th-6th in the Championship.

As for the title. If Rosberg wins then Hamilton due to double points has to finish second. Its going to be a tense race.

Mercedes

Red Bull

Williams

Ferrari

Mclaren

Force India

Toro Rosso

Lotus

Marussia

Sauber

Caterham

2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Circuit_Yas-Island.svg/462px-Circuit_Yas-Island.svg.png
55 Laps

Lap Record: 1:40:279 - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull 2009

Session Times - Local & (Uk -Sorry :vampire:)

FP1: 13:00-14:30 - (9:00 - 10:30)
FP 2: 17:00-18:30 -(13:00-14:30)

FP3: 14:00-15:00 - (10:00-11:00)
Quali: 17:00 - (13:00)

Race: 17:00 - (13:00)

Previous Winners

2009: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
2010: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
2011: Lewis Hamilton - Mclaren
2012: Kimi Raikkonen - Lotus
2013: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull

So there we go. The final race of 2014 is only a few days away. What will it hold.

Hope you have enjoyed these previews over the season. Not sure whether I will do them in 2015. Lets wait and see.

driveace
18th November 2014, 00:11
We all hope for a good ,fair race to decide the championship.
And hope MB are honest and fair to both it's drivers too

The Black Knight
18th November 2014, 08:45
We all hope for a good ,fair race to decide the championship.
And hope MB are honest and fair to both it's drivers too

I'm looking forward to this one. This is a chance for Lewis to show if he is mentally stronger than other occasions. I'd like to see him go out there and pulverize the field for his second world title.

The most important thing this weekend is that the drivers are fair and that Nico doesn't try and take Lewis out again or try backing him into the pack so as someone can steal 3rd from him so I think it's important for Hamilton to get pole here and lead from the front.

Roll on Sunday!

rjbetty
18th November 2014, 12:53
I'm looking forward to this one. This is a chance for Lewis to show if he is mentally stronger than other occasions. I'd like to see him go out there and pulverize the field for his second world title.

The most important thing this weekend is that the drivers are fair and that Nico doesn't try and take Lewis out again or try backing him into the pack so as someone can steal 3rd from him so I think it's important for Hamilton to get pole here and lead from the front.

Roll on Sunday!

Unfortunately I think Nico is going to be too strong on this occasion, as he flies at Abu Dhabi and came 3rd last year, some way ahead of Hamilton who was 7th...

Nico to take pole and victory. I maintain my season long conviction regarding the title, thus one final sting in the tail is going to befall Lewis.

Sadly, this isn´t reverse psychology, but what I believe will happen...

At least Nico will gain a small helping of credibility over the final standings, if he edges Hamilton thru this weekend.

Hamilton has impressed me in ways this season. He still is a bit too good at making things difficult for himself at times, but is really getting there. He deserves the title simply for Malaysia to Spain alone, as he has been behind the 8 ball from the very first race through no fault of his own. To painstakingly get those points back, he did a great job.

journeyman racer
18th November 2014, 13:21
It might not be reverse psychology. But it seems you're just preparing yourself for the disappointment to not hurt as much?

Mia 01
18th November 2014, 14:25
I hope Kimi will score a podium at the last race this year.

Tazio
18th November 2014, 14:37

Roll on Sunday!

I don't see backing The Boss into the pack as being unfair, as long as he is not brake-checking him. It would mean two things; Nico either out qualified him, or has beaten him off he line (or otherwise passed him) and has earned the right to control the race from the front. It is up to Lewis to pass Nico or defend his position in 2nd. Nicos task in this race is to win the WDC not finish first in a Mercedes 1-2.

Tazio
18th November 2014, 14:52
I hope Kimi will score a podium at the last race this year.
For your sake Mia, one thing this season has done is gotten you use to disappointment. ;)
Unless their is some serious carnage at the front I can't see either Ferrari finishing above p5, especially if it is true that McLaren are bringing a new aero package to this race. I could easily see him beating Fred however, I believe he is in a little better shape PU wise.

A FONDO
18th November 2014, 15:25
Wishing a good time to Bottas so he would finish fourth in the champiohship!

Firstgear
18th November 2014, 15:27

Roll on Sunday!With the number of times this season that Lewis has shown he can pass Nico on track - I don't think there's any chance that Nico would try backing Lewis up. If he tried it, it would be like gifting Lewis the win.

Doc Austin
18th November 2014, 17:49
I don't see backing The Boss into the pack as being unfair, as long as he is not brake-checking him. It would mean two things; Nico either out qualified him, or has beaten him off he line (or otherwise passed him) and has earned the right to control the race from the front.

Then you risk getting taken out, even if it's by accident. It doesn't matter how you get crashed because either way you don't win the title. The best bet is always to just race.

That, and I don't ant to see any cheap games. This is the world championship, not Nascar.

jens
18th November 2014, 20:03

Backing a driver into traffic isn't really illegal or even unfair. It is pretty genious driving tactic if done well and well within the rules if you can hold the other guy up cleanly without pushing off the track. I remember what Ferrari did in 1997 Suzuka. The mind still blows about how exactly did they do it, but Irvine was fast when needed, held up when needed, and Schumacher won. Or Malaysia 1999, when Schumacher held up Häkkinen all race long, so that Irvine could win.

However, with DRS and two very long straights in Abu Dhabi it is almost nigh impossible to deliberately hold another driver up, who has the same engine , so there it goes...

I mentioned "same engine", because Mercedes advantage over Ferrari/Renault power units is so significant they may indeed hold them up if they wanted, because they can't get top speed advantage even with an open DRS...

jens
18th November 2014, 20:06
Wishing a good time to Bottas so he would finish fourth in the champiohship!

To be honest, I'd also like to see Bottas ending up fourth in the championship. What a great season he has had, a somewhat underdog driver against great champions like Vettel and Alonso. I think Williams will go well in Abu Dhabi, so only misfortune is likely to prevent him from clinching that P4. However, Williams sometimes stumbles, which the recent Bottas race in Brazil also shows.

jens
18th November 2014, 20:12
Just remember another "backing up" case. Schumacher at Imola 2006, when he deliberately started driving slowly to force Alonso to change his strategy. The chasing pack (Montoya, Massa, etc) were all closing in, so that Alonso had no other option than to make an early pitstop, assuming that Schumacher had a car problem and couldn't waste his time there. But then Schumacher sped up again and won the race. That was a brilliant bit of strategy.

About Abu Double. Hope to see the race, though I dislike double points rule. But when I think that Hamilton is leading the championship going into finale and needs a certain result (not a win) to secure the title, it automatically brings flashbacks to 2007 and 2008. Hopefully something exciting will happen again!

steveaki13
18th November 2014, 21:54
Just remember another "backing up" case. Schumacher at Imola 2006, when he deliberately started driving slowly to force Alonso to change his strategy. The chasing pack (Montoya, Massa, etc) were all closing in, so that Alonso had no other option than to make an early pitstop, assuming that Schumacher had a car problem and couldn't waste his time there. But then Schumacher sped up again and won the race. That was a brilliant bit of strategy.

About Abu Double. Hope to see the race, though I dislike double points rule. But when I think that Hamilton is leading the championship going into finale and needs a certain result (not a win) to secure the title, it automatically brings flashbacks to 2007 and 2008. Hopefully something exciting will happen again!

There is no way it will be simple.

He will make an error somewhere and put the pressure on himself.

driveace
18th November 2014, 23:25
Nico needs to win ,Lewis only needs second !
If Nico tries to back Lewis into the pack .?
As soon as Nico drops off the pace ,Lewis will be long gone !
If Lewis has no reliability problems ,then I can't see it going wrong for him
If Nico did become Champion,then it would be a bitter pill to swallow for many fans

Doc Austin
19th November 2014, 01:02
Lewis could always just take Nico out in the first corner. The internet would absolutely melt down!

"Why are you so upset, Nico? I was just proving a point!"

Tazio
19th November 2014, 03:39
Then you risk getting taken out, even if it's by accident. It doesn't matter how you get crashed because either way you don't win the title. The best bet is always to just race.

That, and I don't ant to see any cheap games. This is the world championship, not Nascar.Dawg a lot of other scenarios could play out and another one than the one I'm referring to IS MORE LIKELY. IF it came into play it could be Nico's last/only tactic left for him (if he can even get ahead of Da' Boss). If he didn't try it he will be ridiculed for not doing everything within the rules to whup The Boss.
Best to see if straight racing can win him game, set, and match, IF NOT HE WILL, AND WELL SHOULD TRY SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY mate :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQsZujjZWs0

Whyzars
19th November 2014, 04:54
If Nico did become Champion,then it would be a bitter pill to swallow for many fans

I can see an issue if Nico gets it with double points but I would think even Nico would not want to win the championship with that dynamic.

Both drivers "lost" the championship long ago. Either of them could have established a championship winning lead but they failed.

Aside from dyed in the wool "Miltons", I don't see why people would complain about a Rosberg World Championship.

As long as double points doesn't factor in the final result then either will be a worthy champion and deserving of the result.

If we see double points enter the equation then that will be the bitter pill we all swallow.

Legal challenge anyone? :D

Doc Austin
19th November 2014, 05:12
Best to see if straight racing can win him game, set, and match, IF NOT HE WILL, AND WELL SHOULD TRY SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY mate :kiss:

We've seen championships won like that before, but I certainly don't endorse that kind of behavior. I just think if something like that happens this time that the internet reaction would be priceless.

Tazio
19th November 2014, 05:38
We've seen championships won like that before, but I certainly don't endorse that kind of behavior. I just think if something like that happens this time that the internet reaction would be priceless. It could end up (and I'm not predicting this) that Nico tries to back Lewis up. but Lewis just maintains the gap to p3. That is a very likely eventuality given the circumstances. What I'm saying is; I don't want contact, just drama. I've invested a lot of time into this season. and I would really like to see the protagonists sweating bullets during the proceedings, that's entertainnnnnnnnnment dawg! Sweet!

Mia 01
19th November 2014, 07:17
as we have seen Before, nerves will play a big part in the WDC. Lewis is a Cold and calculated boy, isn´t he.

airshifter
19th November 2014, 14:11
It could end up (and I'm not predicting this) that Nico tries to back Lewis up. but Lewis just maintains the gap to p3. That is a very likely eventuality given the circumstances. What I'm saying is; I don't want contact, just drama. I've invested a lot of time into this season. and I would really like to see the protagonists sweating bullets during the proceedings, that's entertainnnnnnnnnment dawg! Sweet!

If there isn't drama during the race, I'm sure the forums will manage some afterwards. With the off season coming up, the rumors will fly and speculation will abound. Why just last night I heard from a source that Fred was so scared of Kimo that he arranged a huge payoff in exchange for Kimi intentionally throwing his season. :laugh:

I just hope for a clean race with some solid racing. The WDC being won by Nico would almost be a good thing, as it will prove the joke of the double points thing kept people watching and debating about it. I'm guessing that it won't be easy for Nico, as Lewis should be calm enough to just stay in 2nd if none of the car break or go flying around the track.

I just hope this double points things doesn't progress into a NASCAR style elimination thing. It sucks all the life out of who really drove well over the course of the entire season.

The Black Knight
19th November 2014, 14:17
Unfortunately I think Nico is going to be too strong on this occasion, as he flies at Abu Dhabi and came 3rd last year, some way ahead of Hamilton who was 7th...

Nico to take pole and victory. I maintain my season long conviction regarding the title, thus one final sting in the tail is going to befall Lewis.

Sadly, this isn´t reverse psychology, but what I believe will happen...

At least Nico will gain a small helping of credibility over the final standings, if he edges Hamilton thru this weekend.

Hamilton has impressed me in ways this season. He still is a bit too good at making things difficult for himself at times, but is really getting there. He deserves the title simply for Malaysia to Spain alone, as he has been behind the 8 ball from the very first race through no fault of his own. To painstakingly get those points back, he did a great job.

Abu Dhabi is like Lewis's backyard - last year he had a lot of car balance issues if memory serves me. I don't think he'll be able to match Lewis this year or at least not beat him by much if he does .Yeah, Lewis made things difficult for himself in Austria and Silverstone alright this year but other than that you really can't fault how he has driven throughout the season.

I can't see Nico gaining much credibility if he beats Lewis this season given the things he has done but if he does win the title then he does and that's the way it will be! It doesn't mean he is the better driver, just that his combination of cheating and gammy double points was enough to put him ahead of Lewis in the end.

As for those that commented on Nico and backing the pack up - that is correct it is technically not in breach of any regulations. Going to be an intersting weekend :)

zako85
19th November 2014, 14:43
If you look at the top ranked of the most mundane and processional races of the past few years, then the 2010 Abu Dhabi and 2014 Russian GPs would rank somewhere in the top ten. A lot of fans consider this as the proof that those race tracks are simply badly designed.

Earlier this season, I speculated that the layout of the Sochi track looks in some ways similar to Abu Dhabi, so perhaps we could see the same type of racing. However, we need to consider the fact that in both races, Pirelli brought rock-hand and long lasting tires to these races.

In 2010 in Abu Dhabi, Petrov managed to stay the whole race, minus one lap, on the same set of tires while holding the desperate Alonso behind. In 2014 in Sochi, Rosberg run the whole race, minus one lap, on the same set of tires while successfully charging from the back to the second place finish. To me this suggests that perhaps both times Pirelli went overly conservative in tire compounds. They really need to aim at a mix of two and three stop strategies in every race. I suspect that the quality of the race is dependent on the tires that Pirelli brings to teams.

As for the upcoming race, I'd love to see some kind of chaos created by short-lasting tires. Don't care much who wins the WDC, but I'd love an outsider to win this race, like Bottas, Massa, Ricciardo or Vettel.

airshifter
19th November 2014, 16:22
As for the upcoming race, I'd love to see some kind of chaos created by short-lasting tires. Don't care much who wins the WDC, but I'd love an outsider to win this race, like Bottas, Massa, Ricciardo or Vettel.

As much as people complained about the short lasting tires, it might be the only thing that would take away the domination that Mercedes is having. And it would be interesting to see Lewis and Nico fighting for 5th and 6th place for a change.

Considering the domination of Mercedes, there are a number of other drivers who have had to fight hard to near that podium, and see a group of them fill the podium wouldn't bother me at all.

Whyzars
20th November 2014, 05:12
If you look at the top ranked of the most mundane and processional races of the past few years, then the 2010 Abu Dhabi and 2014 Russian GPs would rank somewhere in the top ten. A lot of fans consider this as the proof that those race tracks are simply badly designed.

I'm just not sure that any of the latest tracks are badly designed necessarily. They've poured bucketloads of dollars in and we'd have to think that they know what works and what doesn't - I'm dreaming I know. :(

My pet peeve is drivers ignoring track boundaries and stewards letting them do it.

Russia may have become an especially mundane procession because of track boundary breaches. My memory is only good for the last race but wasn't there one corner in Russia that the white lines were completely ignored - Grosjean went off there a couple of times and dawdled back into the fray.

If track boundaries are respected and enforced then braking becomes more important and fuel consumption increases. Low end control and tyre management is also rewarded.

Someone suggested in another thread that concrete bollards might help. Maybe we can have them pop up once 3 cars bounce over a kerb.

If Abu Dhabi is just another "drive anywhere" track then they're just not serious about the sport of F1.

Even if they only focused on Lewis and Nico it would at least send a message that the boundaries are a safety provision and to be respected.

rjbetty
20th November 2014, 07:30
It might not be reverse psychology. But it seems you're just preparing yourself for the disappointment to not hurt as much?

No, I really did think this before pre season testing. I will confess it´s pretty much due to simple gut instinct. Even though I never gamble and don't believe in it, I had a conviction that I should money on Nico for the WDC pre-season. I was in financial trouble at the time and in this case believed it would actually be a wise investment. It sounds crazy I know...!

I was so frustrated to not even have £10 to spare, since Rosberg's odds were still as high as 10/1 at the time. I would have put £100 if I had it.

Come to think of it, I wonder if I can do that today and what odds I could get. I am not doing so badly now.

It will be interesting if Hamilton does win it and I'm wrong. My conviction however was not that Rosberg would win, but simply that I should put money on him.

Well that's my crazy rambling over. Been a long night... :dork:

airshifter
20th November 2014, 13:35
I'm just not sure that any of the latest tracks are badly designed necessarily. They've poured bucketloads of dollars in and we'd have to think that they know what works and what doesn't - I'm dreaming I know. :(

My pet peeve is drivers ignoring track boundaries and stewards letting them do it.

Russia may have become an especially mundane procession because of track boundary breaches. My memory is only good for the last race but wasn't there one corner in Russia that the white lines were completely ignored - Grosjean went off there a couple of times and dawdled back into the fray.

If track boundaries are respected and enforced then braking becomes more important and fuel consumption increases. Low end control and tyre management is also rewarded.

Someone suggested in another thread that concrete bollards might help. Maybe we can have them pop up once 3 cars bounce over a kerb.

If Abu Dhabi is just another "drive anywhere" track then they're just not serious about the sport of F1.

Even if they only focused on Lewis and Nico it would at least send a message that the boundaries are a safety provision and to be respected.

Totally agree on the track boundaries issue. It's been a joke all season long, and the FIA and enforcement leads the joke. At certain tracks they rule with an iron fist, then at the next track they don't pay any attention to it at all. Several races this year had drivers going four wheels off on a regular basis, including some of the top runners. They even counted a qually lap from Alonso after he went blatantly off and into the grass earlier in the season.

And in most cases, they seem to want to enforce track boundaries only when "gaining advantage". Well if you can alter the line lap after lap going all four wheels off, they surely aren't doing it to go slower. Gaining an advantage happens every time it takes place, not just when trying to pass or prevent a pass.

This issue and lack of enforcement would qualify for one of my donkey of the year nominations. They enforce the rule properly about as often as Pastor drives clean. :)

zako85
20th November 2014, 14:26
I agree with the idea of enforcing the track boundaries. I'd love to see F1 come back to the racing on on tracks of the 80s and early 90s, where going off track often meant ending up stuck in kitty litter and ending the race. I am fine with huge run off areas, but they should not be paved. They should be filled with sand.

rjbetty
20th November 2014, 16:23
*Checks my last post*

Gosh did I write that?

I stand by it lol :p

Ah yeah I've long despised the track boundaries thing, but am starting to give up hope. I shouldn't cos if we keep protesting loudly enough the powers that be have shown they may finally relent.

I'm more ticked that F1 has inevitably seemed to gone the way of cricket/tennis etc i.e. no more wet weather running. The days of Nurburgring '99 and the like are sadly a thing of memory... ;(

Tazio
20th November 2014, 16:36
SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want
For the last time, Felipe Massa was NOT the 2008 champion.
My pre-season bet with Tazzy - Nico will win the 2014 title (due to double points).
Last race you'll be using this signature mate.:smokin:

schmenke
20th November 2014, 16:48
I'm more ticked that F1 has inevitably seemed to gone the way of cricket/tennis etc i.e. no more wet weather running. The days of Nurburgring '99 and the like are sadly a thing of memory... ;(

Agree with you there. It's almost to the point where full wet weather tires are no longer needed in the sport :mark: .
Hey, perhaps there's a cost-saving :idea:

rjbetty
20th November 2014, 18:49
Last race you'll be using this signature mate.:smokin:

Ok, so you agree that I get to have your house if I win? If you win, I can send you an old Dominos hat :p

Guys I got odds of 7/2 for Rosberg to win the title. I've never done this before (and don't plan to again as this is a one-off), does this mean if I put £90 and win, I get £315 and a profit of £225??? *confused*

EDIT: Ok I did it, feel like I'm betraying Lewis a bit, who I support, but there you go...

Whyzars
21st November 2014, 01:10
I agree with the idea of enforcing the track boundaries. I'd love to see F1 come back to the racing on on tracks of the 80s and early 90s, where going off track often meant ending up stuck in kitty litter and ending the race. I am fine with huge run off areas, but they should not be paved. They should be filled with sand.

We can never go back to sand run off areas unfortunately. Having said that, the current practice of a safer surface forgiving mistakes or a driver seeing everything past the white line as extra track must be stopped.

I chuckled remembering the kitty litter days and how easily an F1 car became a beached whale - how frantically a driver would try to keep forward movement going once he was in the mire - and then the inevitable stop but keep spinning the wheels with head in hands.

That level of despair is very close to what we need to simulate today. :D

dj_bytedisaster
21st November 2014, 02:44
We can never go back to sand run off areas unfortunately. Having said that, the current practice of a safer surface forgiving mistakes or a driver seeing everything past the white line as extra track must be stopped.

I chuckled remembering the kitty litter days and how easily an F1 car became a beached whale - how frantically a driver would try to keep forward movement going once he was in the mire - and then the inevitable stop but keep spinning the wheels with head in hands.

Not gonna happen, doesn't win Bernie any money, which F1 is these days - a giant money printing machine for the octogenarian toad from Suffolk.

Tazio
21st November 2014, 03:15
Ok, so you agree that I get to have your house if I win? If you win, I can send you an old Dominos hat :p

I'm hard pressed to remember what our wager precisely was. I seem to recall it including a cucumber sandwich! :confused:

rjbetty
21st November 2014, 11:21
Check out the priceless reaction of Jenson as Rosberg suggests Hamilton might resort to dirty tricks i.e. Cheating!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30134015

This may only be available to us UK people I´m afraid...

And Massa has this to say:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9571919/Massa-Rosberg-must-not-let-fear-rule

Including this comment: (!)

"Lewis needs to be more of a gentleman and sometimes, it's not easy for him to be a gentleman."

*Raises Eyebrows hugely*

Wow this is as good as Massa still being bitter about Glock in 2008, even though Glock wants Rosberg to win the title.

Maybe Massa should be more of a gentleman and stop fighting to keep the current weight rules, which ridiculously advantage him since he is such a little ****. He has had an unfair advantage over drivers like Hulkenberg his entire career, so hopefully Felipe can be a gentleman and do the right thing.

The Black Knight
21st November 2014, 12:43
Check out the priceless reaction of Jenson as Rosberg suggests Hamilton might resort to dirty tricks i.e. Cheating!

This may only be available to us UK people I´m afraid...

And Massa has this to say:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9571919/Massa-Rosberg-must-not-let-fear-rule

Including this comment: (!)

"Lewis needs to be more of a gentleman and sometimes, it's not easy for him to be a gentleman."

*Raises Eyebrows hugely*

Wow this is as good as Massa still being bitter about Glock in 2008, even though Glock wants Rosberg to win the title.

Maybe Massa should be more of a gentleman and stop fighting to keep the current weight rules, which ridiculously advantage him since he is such a little ****. He has had an unfair advantage over drivers like Hulkenberg his entire career, so hopefully Felipe can be a gentleman and do the right thing.

Yeah,I was watching that comment from Nico in the press conference and Button wasn't the only driver to react to it though is was definitely the best reaction. I imagine, was probably going back to Bahrain where Nico felt Hamilton was unsporting. It's funny really considering that day Nico started everything off by using illegal engine settings on his Mercedes to attempt to pass Hamilton. But yeah, what a ridiculously stupid comment out of the guy that has made a habit of cheating this year. Anyway, at the end of the day, it's just Nico playing mind games.

As for Massa, he may have some of a weight advantage, but at the end of the day, he isn't and has never been on the level of the top boys.

rjbetty
21st November 2014, 12:59
Yeah,I was watching that comment from Nico in the press conference and Button wasn't the only driver to react to it though is was definitely the best reaction. I imagine, was probably going back to Bahrain where Nico felt Hamilton was unsporting. It's funny really considering that day Nico started everything off by using illegal engine settings on his Mercedes to attempt to pass Hamilton. But yeah, what a ridiculously stupid comment out of the guy that has made a habit of cheating this year. Anyway, at the end of the day, it's just Nico playing mind games.

As for Massa, he may have some of a weight advantage, but at the end of the day, he isn't and has never been on the level of the top boys.

Oh yeah it's definitely mind games I think. I think if Nico felt Lewis went too far he certainly got him back at turn 1 lap 1 in Canada, forcing him off the road. They should have been even after that, without Nico continuing to stew.

And that's if Lewis even did anything wrong, which he didn't. At worst, it was probably equal to what Rosberg did himself 2 years earlier at Bahrain.

And if this is the worst criticism that anyone can dig out on Lewis, then he's done pretty well.

Yeah I agree Nico started the bad feeling by cheating on his engine settings, but I think it all really started when Mercedes went to a great effort to prepare that dossier for Rosberg to study telling him how to try and copy Hamilton to get more speed and close the gap.

So much for the team being desperate for Lewis to win as some say...

As for Massa, I completely agree. I've always felt that somehow his little size has allowed him to enjoy a little more speed than he ought to have had solely on talent. I feel the same about Sato. A recent article by Coulthard describing how Villeneuve enjoyed the advantage of being lighter brought this home to me too.

jens
21st November 2014, 13:05
Prost won the WDC in 1989 despite being slower than Senna that year and had a controversial collision at Suzuka.

In short - I don't have a problem with Rosberg winning the title. Sometimes having slower drivers winning is part of the game - "that's racing". And this is what makes this sport interesting - underdogs can succeed as well in the 'right circumstances'.

rjbetty
21st November 2014, 13:34
I respect your view Jens since you're about the most reasonable poster here. :)

Yeah if Nico wins, he hasn't exactly been poor and has probably shown enough to deserve a WDC at some point in his life.
If he can beat Lewis this weekend, cleanly, it will help give a Nico title some credibility.

However to counter some people's opinions that I'd be a sore loser, since 1997 more often than not the guy who I wanted to win the title didn't, but I have never begrudged the guy who did win. We all congratulated Vettel last year too. Yet unfortunately, a Rosberg title due to double points would not make me feel good. I won't be unsporting, but it would go down the least well of all 18 titles (19 if you include the 1994 finale) that I've witnessed.

I think the strangest bit would be all the people crowing that this proves that Rosberg is better than Hamilton. I don't think this is the case. I will just see the funny side of it however and react the way Jenson did in that press conference.

TheFamousEccles
21st November 2014, 13:34

That's some dystopian outlook, d' ya wanna talk about it? :beer:

TheFamousEccles
21st November 2014, 13:35
Firetruck! I'm out of Firetruckin' beer!

jens
21st November 2014, 13:46
I respect your view Jens since you're about the most reasonable poster here. :)

Yeah if Nico wins, he hasn't exactly been poor and has probably shown enough to deserve a WDC at some point in his life.
If he can beat Lewis this weekend, cleanly, it will help give a Nico title some credibility.

However to counter some people's opinions that I'd be a sore loser, since 1997 more often than not the guy who I wanted to win the title didn't, but I have never begrudged the guy who did win. We all congratulated Vettel last year too. Yet unfortunately, a Rosberg title due to double points would not make me feel good. I won't be unsporting, but it would go down the least well of all 18 titles (19 if you include the 1994 finale) that I've witnessed.

I think the strangest bit would be all the people crowing that this proves that Rosberg is better than Hamilton. I don't think this is the case. I will just see the funny side of it however and react the way Jenson did in that press conference.

Thanks, mate.:)

Rosberg has been impressively good in qualifyings, but his race performances have been slightly disappointing. He can usually keep up for half a race before Hamilton's charge inevitable beings... Or conversely Rosberg's "freshness" during the course of the race disappears. Whatever it is, Rosberg isn't far off Hamilton, but just hasn't got the final edge during the second half of Grands Prix to pull off wins.

I think Hamilton is good (great) enough to be a multiple WDC, so looking forward to add more titles to his tally. But Rosberg would also not be a bad inclusion to the WDC winners' list. I think Rosberg is better than someone, say, Irvine would have been. And I was cheering for Irvine in 1999! Often I like underdog winners.

I also hope Ricciardo can get a title shot one day and perhaps win too, but with the engine freeze and Mercedes major advantage I fear he may not get a chance soon...

rjbetty
21st November 2014, 14:15

Rosberg has been impressively good in qualifyings, but his race performances have been slightly disappointing.

Despite outward appearances, I actually feel Hamilton has been far more impressive this year than in 2013 compared to Rosberg. In 2013 they were fairly equal with Hamilton having just a small edge overall, and many weekends where Rosberg was just quicker.

Rosberg has done well in qualifying. However, I feel on pure pace, Hamilton has been ahead much more clearly than last year. Actually, I think every time Hamilton has been behind, it has almost never been down to a lack of pure pace. However, it gets tricky when you consider it is Hamilton's job to not only have the pace but to make it count, and sometimes it has been his fault for not always stringing a lap together. As an example I think Hamilton had a slight edge in Austria but he blew his lap all by himself, so maybe that qualifying should fairly be given to Rosberg after all, since making your lap count is part of the job.

I think Rosberg is better than someone, say, Irvine would have been. And I was cheering for Irvine in 1999! Often I like underdog winners.

This helps me see where you are coming from! I get it now. Oh yeah I was cheering big-time for Irvine in '99! Though he always pretended not to car much, I think that title would have been a huge deal for him indeed. Maybe we could have seen tears from him.

I also hope Ricciardo can get a title shot one day and perhaps win too, but with the engine freeze and Mercedes major advantage I fear he may not get a chance soon...

Hmmm I'm not sure how the engine freeze works. I'm sure Renault are able to make some improvements and close the gap at least between seasons, just not by huge amounts.

airshifter
21st November 2014, 15:00

Rosberg has been impressively good in qualifyings, but his race performances have been slightly disappointing. He can usually keep up for half a race before Hamilton's charge inevitable beings... Or conversely Rosberg's "freshness" during the course of the race disappears. Whatever it is, Rosberg isn't far off Hamilton, but just hasn't got the final edge during the second half of Grands Prix to pull off wins.

I think Hamilton is good (great) enough to be a multiple WDC, so looking forward to add more titles to his tally. But Rosberg would also not be a bad inclusion to the WDC winners' list. I think Rosberg is better than someone, say, Irvine would have been. And I was cheering for Irvine in 1999! Often I like underdog winners.

All points I agree with.

Regarding the race pace during the later part of the race, I've been wondering if Nico fades of if Lewis really drives better later in the race. It could be something as simple as setup differences, but it seems that as the laps wind down Lewis gains the pace advantage most of the time.

As for Nico, I was one of the people that under rated him when he was driving with Schumacher and the car was still a big variable in most peoples eyes. I've admitted that fault and grown to accept him as a very solid driver. Like many I'd have no problem with him winning the WDC, but would hate for it to happen due to the double points thing. I think it would tarnish his first title for many, and he didn't make the stupid double points rule.

Ricciardo has been one of the cleanest driving young guns in F1 recently. Anyone that can out drive Vettel is no slouch, and much like Vettel they both tend to stay out of trouble and drama most of the time.

Tazio
21st November 2014, 15:30
All points I agree with.

Regarding the race pace during the later part of the race, I've been wondering if Nico fades of if Lewis really drives better later in the race. It could be something as simple as setup differences, but it seems that as the laps wind down Lewis gains the pace advantage most of the time.

It may possibly be a factor that Lewis is more economical with fuel, and can crank it up a little more in the latter laps.

Doc Austin
21st November 2014, 18:10

This may only be available to us UK people I´m afraid........

I think it's a little rich of Rosberg to suggest that someone else might pull a dirty trick.

The article says video is only available in UK, but here's the still...................

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/79156000/jpg/_79156044_buttoneyespic.jpg

Doc Austin
21st November 2014, 18:16
Utube version.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s372iZKMdAU

rjbetty
21st November 2014, 18:36
I think it's a little rich of Rosberg to suggest that someone else might pull a dirty trick.

The article says video is only available in UK, but here's the still...................

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/79156000/jpg/_79156044_buttoneyespic.jpg

Lol this made my day!

jens
21st November 2014, 19:25
Hmmm I'm not sure how the engine freeze works. I'm sure Renault are able to make some improvements and close the gap at least between seasons, just not by huge amounts.

That's the problem with engine freeze. They can make "some improvement", but obviously it is not enough to bridge the gap. From my understanding you can't change 100% of power unit, but considering how far behind Renault (and Ferrari) are, I am afraid they basically need a clean sheet design!

However, partial improvement is clearly not enough for title challenge. At the moment Mercedes is well over 1 sec per lap faster. Even if Red Bull-Renault package manages to halve that gap, 0.5 seconds is still a huge gap and unlikely to enable you to compete for the title...

Mia 01
21st November 2014, 22:01
for gods sake, but not sure. Hope Lewis can keep his calm on sunday. We will see.

driveace
21st November 2014, 23:00
Does Nico think we all see him as squeaky clean?

Tazio
22nd November 2014, 03:01
:stareup: I doubt it mate. My guess is that he might rather be known to be ruthless, but realistically I suspect he, like the rest of the boys club, don't actually give a firetruck what we think!

journeyman racer
22nd November 2014, 13:14
In anticipation of the upcoming qualifying. Remember, even if Hamilton's suffers a mechanical problem and is forced to start from the pits, and Rosberg starts from pole. Hamilton will still finish at least 2nd.

If I were Rosberg and I saw Button's reaction to my comment. I'd go up to him and say "Hey ********. I may not become world champ tomorrow. But if I do, it'll still be a more legit title than yours!" And "See you on the grid next year..."

journeyman racer
22nd November 2014, 13:24

Roll on Sunday!
So in the other thread. You have no problem with blatant blocking and weaving. But you have a problem with backing someone up to slow them down and make their position vulnerable, even though it not a dangerous form of driving? Ahh, ok.

I haven't come across anywhere other than here that something like would happen. You've just made up this bs, because it's one more dig at Rosberg.

airshifter
22nd November 2014, 13:49
In anticipation of the upcoming qualifying. Remember, even if Hamilton's suffers a mechanical problem and is forced to start from the pits, and Rosberg starts from pole. Hamilton will still finish at least 2nd.

If I were Rosberg and I saw Button's reaction to my comment. I'd go up to him and say "Hey ********. I may not become world champ tomorrow. But if I do, it'll still be a more legit title than yours!" And "See you on the grid next year..."

Well the Mercedes is almost as dominant as the Brawn. So really I don't think either Lewis or Nico could take the high road with Jenson here, unless they both accept that whoever wins the title was greatly aided by a dominating car.

I'm going to try to catch up with qually on the DVR now.

Tazio
22nd November 2014, 15:03
Britney dying hard with a vengeance :angel:

Tazio
22nd November 2014, 15:12
Bonus points to Bottas for being the only one of the top three qualifiers to knows how to wear a freakin' baseball cap. :laugh:

airshifter
22nd November 2014, 16:00
Bonus points to Bottas for being the only one of the top three qualifiers to knows how to wear a freakin' baseball cap. :laugh:

As much as I respect his skills as a driver, I have to laugh when I see Hamilton with his bonehead style of wearing his baseball cap. Trying to portray the street cred just doesn't cut it when you're a multi millionaire. :laugh:

Solid qually, and well deserved pole by Nico. I think Lewis is in the cool seat though, and I doubt he will do anything to risk his chances. He's been in this position before, and played it cool until Vettel pressed the issue and he had to fight for a position to win the title.

Great job by Bottas as well, and it would be great to see him get in the mix up front. This is probably his best chance at getting on the top step this year, because if he can stay in touch with the Mercedes cars they aren't going to battle him too hard, as they both have so much to lose. They would have to draw the line to defend hard but not risk the car, and that can be tricky.

I like the changing track when the sun goes down, and it seems like the change allows the setup to come to certain cars for a strong late race charge.

I expect to see a good battle tomorrow.

steveaki13
22nd November 2014, 16:07
Good Qualifying session.

Credit to Rosberg. Again pulled it out of the bag when he needed it.

The Williams looked good again and for this last round could play a big role as they could be fast enough to keep Hamilton in check.

Nice to see Caterham again and Will Stevens did a great job today.

I have a family gathering at the time of the F****** race tomorrow. I mean what the hell........ I may be able to watch it, but I won't be round here. Even then I could miss the race.

It all sucks massive .......................................

Grrrrrrr

Tazio
22nd November 2014, 16:47
:stareup: Have someone record the family BS, and watch it later in the day, we need you live for the race :dog:! :dork:

airshifter
22nd November 2014, 16:53
:stareup: Have someone record the family BS, and watch it later in the day, we need you live for the race :dog:! :dork:

+1

Steve, we understand family issues and family time. But you really need to get your priorities straight and skip the family this time! :laugh:

P.S. Just avoid the spoilers. I'd record it too if I had a family function.

edv
22nd November 2014, 17:19
Pretty clever by Nico, putting in a *gentle* fast lap in Q2 with tires that he'll be starting the race with.

Whyzars
22nd November 2014, 17:38
That's some dystopian outlook, d' ya wanna talk about it? :beer:

The top drivers are talking about who made the least number of mistakes in qualifying. :crazy:

Drivers didn't used to make mistakes lest they be cleaning gravel out of the intake - or the intake out of a tyre wall, these days they lose a tenth and carry on.

We can't have bobcats pulling cars out of sand traps so what to do?

I'm actually thinking that the track limits need to be impregnated with tiny tyre shredders and be done with it.

Track boundaries are specified for safety and ignoring safety always ends in tears.

BTW, my prediction for the race - Massa smokes Hamilton at the first corner and says something about 2008 and apples... :D

The Black Knight
22nd November 2014, 18:12
The top drivers are talking about who made the least number of mistakes in qualifying. :crazy:

Drivers didn't used to make mistakes lest they be cleaning gravel out of the intake - or the intake out of a tyre wall, these days they lose a tenth and carry on.

We can't have bobcats pulling cars out of sand traps so what to do?

I'm actually thinking that the track limits need to be impregnated with tiny tyre shredders and be done with it.

Track boundaries are specified for safety and ignoring safety always ends in tears.

BTW, my prediction for the race - Massa smokes Hamilton at the first corner and says something about 2008 and apples... :D

I doubt Massa will smoke Hamilton. He came out after Brazil two weeks ago and said he felt Hanilton deserved the championship as he had done a better campaign than Rosberg. In that interview he seems more begrudging towards the Glock - ha said it was a German that list him the title so if anything it's Rosberg that has to watch out.

Reasonable qualifying. Both Hamilton and Rosberg did everything they need to do. From the onboard of Hamilton I was gutted he wen wide on his first run in Q1 - he was so quick ad absolutely perfect throughout that lap until the second last corner. Pity!

Anyway I think it all is own to the start tomorrow. If both Mercedes get away out front then I think Lewis will stay in second and just pick up the title that he so richly deserves! Looking forward to it!

Tazio
22nd November 2014, 18:47
I doubt Massa will smoke Hamilton. He came out after Brazil two weeks ago and said he felt Hanilton deserved the championship as he had done a better campaign than Rosberg. In that interview he seems more begrudging towards the Glock - ha said it was a German that list him the title so if anything it's Rosberg that has to watch out.

Reasonable qualifying. Both Hamilton and Rosberg did everything they need to do. From the onboard of Hamilton I was gutted he wen wide on his first run in Q1 - he was so quick ad absolutely perfect throughout that lap until the second last corner. Pity!

Anyway I think it all is own to the start tomorrow. If both Mercedes get away out front then I think Lewis will stay in second and just pick up the title that he so richly deserves! Looking forward to it!
Come on TBK, you know Felipe Baby would love to smoke the Boss, and or Nico, but I do think he might get a little more satisfaction from denying the leader the championship, that's human nature. I'm sure plenty of others would like to have a hand in upsetting the apple cart as well. It is what they have left to race for this season.
Lighten up my man, What happens is what happen. Save your unabashed petty patronizing until after the race I'm sure most of us will give the champ his due then, and you can talk $hit until your face gets hemorrhoids!!
Just kidding dawg! ;) :angel:

driveace
22nd November 2014, 18:53
Does Rosberg set HIS car up to be on pole .AND Lewis sets HIS car up to be good or better towards the end of the race ?
The presenters said some thing like the pole man has only won the race 3 times out of 10 races ?

Zico
22nd November 2014, 20:24
Does Rosberg set HIS car up to be on pole .AND Lewis sets HIS car up to be good or better towards the end of the race ?
The presenters said some thing like the pole man has only won the race 3 times out of 10 races ?

I'm not sure why anyone would actively seek out a set up optimised for qualy pace to the detriment of race pace in these days of DRS. Its more likely just a slight set-up difference to suit their personal driving styles that just happens to favour Lewis on the majority of race days. Mark Hughes piece on SKYSPORTS maybe offers an insight on the slight set up and driving style differences between the two.

"In the performances of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, there were contrasts and similarities between Austin and Interlagos.

At both venues Rosberg secured pole but Hamilton had better race pace, the difference being that in Brazil Nico was able to use the track position advantage that pole had given him to keep Lewis behind. But both times Rosberg had fine-tuned a better one-lap balance from his car and delivered the big Q3 lap more effectively than Hamilton, whilst in the more variable conditions of the race as the tyres, fuel load and track surface changed Hamilton was better able to improvise.

“The way they have their cars set up is actually quite similar,” said Mercedes’ Paddy Lowe earlier in the season. “I have been in teams where the two drivers have far more extreme set-ups. At McLaren in 2005 we even had to build different front suspension systems because the set ups preferred by Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya contrasted so much. Between Nico and Lewis it’s more just fine tuning.”

That fine-tuning typically includes where each driver prefers the brake bias to be. Hamilton has a natural preference for it to be more rearwards biased than Rosberg – something that played a part in Rosberg being able to keep the rear brakes alive in Montreal after the ERS ceased to function, while Hamilton could not.

As the driver carries some braking into the turn – a common technique in slow-medium speed corners as it helps keep the loads on the tyres more consistent and the car at a more aerodynamically stable attitude – a more rearward brake bias will tend to give the car less stability. The entry phase of the corner will have the rear of the car sliding more than with a more forward-biased set-up. Hamilton is typically more at ease with this than almost any other driver.

"When we first ran Lewis in an F1 car at McLaren in a test, we could see from the traces there was a lot of instability in the car in the braking and corner entry phases – and I mean a lot,” says Lowe. “Enough that our then current race drivers [Raikkonen and Montoya] would have been bitching about it when they came in. But Lewis didn’t mention it. So we pushed him about it, asked him what the car was like on braking and corner entry and he just said, ’fine’."

Brake bias aside, the difference between the two Mercedes drivers isn’t so much in set-up, more one of approach. Rosberg has a more scientific methodology, looks to fine-tune more specifically than Hamilton who typically tends just to find a balance he can work with, then adapt his driving around it. Against someone as clinical and quick as Rosberg, it has meant him frequently being out-qualified.

But car handling traits are never a static thing. Just keeping them consistent over a lap is difficult enough but over a sequence of laps is impossible. Adapting to the variances as the fuel load goes down, the tyres wear/overheat/cool down/grain, the track surface changes etc is a core part of a driver’s skill and in this Hamilton is supreme – because of the adaptability Lowe talks about.

Typically Hamilton uses less fuel than Rosberg too. That ease he has with a little bit of corner entry instability means he can carry more momentum even as the rear tyres are degrading; which in turn means he has less re-accelerating to do, which means using less fuel. It can sometimes be a similar story with the tyres. When the limitation is the longitudinal (ie braking and accelerating) rather than cornering loads, because he’s doing less accelerating, Hamilton is taking less from the rear tyres and in Interlagos as Rosberg gave his in-laps full attack he was out of tyre grip each time. Hamilton stopped between one and two laps later each time and was always quicker – because he had more tyre life left.

Which of the two approaches is better is not clear-cut. At Interlagos is was clearly Rosberg’s. At Austin it was Hamilton’s. Different days, different folk."

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/12430/9559490/lewis-hamilton-v-nico-rosberg--a-difference-in-driving-style-as-well-as-set-up

steveaki13
22nd November 2014, 20:55
Going to be an interesting race from the back for the two Red Bulls. You have to assume Daniel will get further judging by his performances at passing this season.

Strange that they have been found guilty of flexi wings in the last round. Unless they are trialling stuff for next season.

Anyway it should be a decent race, although a season finale at Abu Dhabi is missing something.

journeyman racer
22nd November 2014, 21:51
12-7

Tazio
22nd November 2014, 22:10
As much as I respect his skills as a driver, I have to laugh when I see Hamilton with his bonehead style....

Trying to portray the street cred just doesn't cut it when you're a multi millionaire. :laugh:

I actually appreciate The Boss' jingoistic style statement because; I don't have a compatriot in the field, let alone fighting for the world title from the front.
I just am a little traditional having played so much Baseball. Bottas' cap looked like he spen at least a little time shaping it properly. Nico looked like a guy who just got a free cap and started to train the bill a little, the Boss looked like he spent a little time training (incorrectly) his bill! :angel:

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 10:48
Well I'm gonna have to sleep now for work tonight. :)

Have been a bit unwell and have to do so... But will tune in to the results and probably pop on here before I go out.

I expect it will all have kicked off big time in here no matter what happens :D

driveace
23rd November 2014, 11:18
What's thE suggestion then ?
Are we saying Mercedes ,reported the RBs ,or Vettel ,or Vettels engineer who has gone or going to Ferrari ?
And have they had the Flexible wings all year ?
Or just trying it for next year to see IF they could get away with it ?
What's every bodies assumption ?

zako85
23rd November 2014, 11:33
Can the Mercedes team give a team order to Williams during the race? Watch out for them. It would be hilarious to hear, "Felippe, Lewis is faster than you"

donKey jote
23rd November 2014, 13:48
Morning gurlz :dozey:
:D :wave:

Koz
23rd November 2014, 13:50
Hey guys!

Zico
23rd November 2014, 13:55
What's thE suggestion then ?
Are we saying Mercedes ,reported the RBs ,or Vettel ,or Vettels engineer who has gone or going to Ferrari ?
And have they had the Flexible wings all year ?
Or just trying it for next year to see IF they could get away with it ?
What's every bodies assumption ?

For me... Haven't a clue if someone reported it or whether the FIA just spotted it in testing/qualy. Horner said they have now gone back to the Brazil wing so unless thats a huge porky they were probably just trying it out for this race only to see if they could get away with it.

longisland
23rd November 2014, 13:57
For the points this race is worth, I hope it is at least half as good as Bahrain

donKey jote
23rd November 2014, 13:59
Oh well... Congrats ham, goodnight :dozey: :p

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 14:05
I wouldn´t be so sure. Like Murray used to say

"Anything can happen in F1, and it usually does".

I can´t sleep by the way. I´m so screwed tonight... :(

donKey jote
23rd November 2014, 14:07
Rakka napping as usual :p

longisland
23rd November 2014, 14:13
Good move from Fred & even better from Kvyat

donKey jote
23rd November 2014, 14:24
Mercs are >2 sec faster than everybody else :crazy:

donKey jote
23rd November 2014, 14:35
A bore dhabi :snore:

longisland
23rd November 2014, 14:39
I need a strong coffee

donKey jote
23rd November 2014, 14:44
Damn... Wrong merc :p :andrea: :D

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 14:44
ERS FAILURE FOR ROSBERG!

Cue crazy dj and his crackpot conspiracies... (only apply for Hamilton and against Vettel of course!)

"Anything can happen in F1, and it usually does".

Guess I predicted something right this time, saying that.

donKey jote
23rd November 2014, 14:51
Button gets punked :D

journeyman racer
23rd November 2014, 14:51
Hey Hey Hey! I can still use my sig after this race!

Whyzars
23rd November 2014, 14:52
Did Jenson just make some data?

donKey jote
23rd November 2014, 14:53
Alo gets punked :mad: :p

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 14:56
Hey Hey Hey! I can still use my sig after this race!

Yeah it looks like Rosberg's unreliability has gotten fairly close to what Hamilton's had this year!

btw Your post made me pull a Jenson face!

It looks like Hamilton could have the same problem, in which case Lewis would still have clearly had the worse reliability this year.

journeyman racer
23rd November 2014, 15:03
God. Hamilton fans are a stain on motorsport. Even when in a position of strength, they still have a sore bottom.

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 15:05
What have I done wrong?

Sorry you are in so much pain mate. Really.

Seriously, this ain't over yet, if we think of 2008...

btw I truly wish Rosberg didn't have this problem cos I'd rather it have been a clean and fair race.

Hope Massa can win the race!!

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 15:22
I will personally kill Hamilton myself if he throws it away fighting with Massa.

(I won't really but I will be pretty cross)

Now I know there's no way Massa is gonna try and take Hamilton out. I know he doesn't want Hamilton to win, but I'm sure Felipe just want to win. Will be a dream result if he does, after all these barren years! He would also take 7th in the WDC, not bad.

Wow check this out from bbc

"But what if Felipe Massa catches Hamilton and the two bang wheels, forcing Hamilton out? That would mean Rosberg would only need fifth to win the title. Just saying."

longisland
23rd November 2014, 15:26
What a farce!

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 15:30
What a farce!

What do you mean?

longisland
23rd November 2014, 15:35
Merc is asking to box. Nuff said

journeyman racer
23rd November 2014, 15:35
So. According to Hamilton fans. Bad luck is when his team mate suffers more mechanical problems during race, denying him points, throughout the year.

I was getting ready to change my sig to say "...Hamilton would only have won 1 title". But it's still legit! lol

truefan72
23rd November 2014, 15:39
Yes!

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 15:40
Much much congrats to Lewis. He deserves it.

I am happy to have got my prediction wrong.

longisland
23rd November 2014, 15:41
Congrats to Lewis.well deserved win & world champion.

The Black Knight
23rd November 2014, 15:42
Hahahahahaha justice was served to that cheat Rosberg today!

Leading from start to finish - great start! The best driver all year won! Good to see Nico's cheating wasn't rewarded. Now Nico can come back and do it the right way next year!

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 15:48
Right then I'd better get round to changing my sig I suppose.

Damn I really was convinced I'd win that bet. I stood to win over £700 if Nico won the title, and more importantly a cucumber sandwich made by Taz ;(

Congrats to Felipe and also to Nico as he did really well to get the pole trophy even accounting Hamilton's problems, especially in recent Saturdays. It's been his best year surely, so he gets some positives too.

jens
23rd November 2014, 15:58
Hahahahahaha justice was served to that cheat Rosberg today!

Leading from start to finish - great start! The best driver all year won! Good to see Nico's cheating wasn't rewarded. Now Nico can come back and do it the right way next year!

I am astounded that even in the moment of glory somebody is a bit bitter.:)

jens
23rd November 2014, 15:59
By the way, congrats to Hamilton. Great season, especially great in Grands Prix. Second World Championship, something he has been aiming for for 6 years and finally got it! :)

This race was like a flashback into 2008 with Hamilton and Massa at the front of the field. Strong ending to the season by Massa by the way, lots of strong races.

Tazio
23rd November 2014, 16:01
Much much congrats to Lewis. He deserves it.

I am happy to have gotten my prediction wrong.
Spanky, spanky to you I have successfully defeated you mate. Alright the boss :champion:
!

Zico
23rd November 2014, 16:05
Huge congrats to Lewis. Well deserved win & thoroughly deserving world champion.

Very sad to see Nicos season end this way after putting up a good fight and keeping it going to the last race of the season. Nice to see him congratulate Lewis too.

Lewis fans still bitter in victory, show a bit of class instead of being so crass.

The Black Knight
23rd November 2014, 16:11

Bitter no - delighted that F1 hasn't been made a joke of by rewarding cheating in another year - yes!

The best driver won and now with two championships under his belt he can move on and get three or four!

In fairness to Nico though, I respect him wanting to go to the end of the race, and he also just came out and said Lewis was the best driver on te grid this year so fair play - at least he's gracious in defeat even if he is dirty in the fight!

Hopefully we won't have any of this next year, and he'll come out next year and redeem himself. Should he beat Hammy next year in a fair fight then so be it and he'll deserve it then but this year Hamilton deserved the title, no doubt about it!

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 16:14
Spanky, spanky to you I have successfully defeated you mate. Alright the boss :champion:
!

IT'S NOT FAIR! WHY DO YOU ALWAYS (IN FGP etc) BEAT ME?!!

truefan72
23rd November 2014, 16:17
Huge congrats to Lewis. Well deserved win & thoroughly deserving world champion.

Very sad to see Nicos season end this way after putting up a good fight and keeping it going to the last race of the season. Nice to see him congratulate Lewis too.

Lewis fans still bitter in victory, show a bit of class instead of being so crass.

I don't think TBK was crass.
and i would not even want to speculate how these boards would have lit up if things turned out differently
shoot, just yesterday somebody was quite colorful in making fun of the way hamilton chooses to wear his hat.
I'm surprised you did not jump in and point out that behaviour

oh well

I've been pretty quiet these past few weeks, and now that the better and more deserving driver won, I will take this victory and get ready for 2015

dj_bytedisaster
23rd November 2014, 16:21

He always is. His life is so sad, he needs it.

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 16:21
Man I'm a bit disappointed not many people are on here to celebrate. I thought this place would have lit up whatever the result, even if the posts were really negative... :/

henners88
23rd November 2014, 16:22
A great end to the season, well done Lewis we've waited 6 years for this, over the moon. I'm very drunk and i'll like to say Rosberg has been a fantastic competitor who was magnanimous in defeat. It's such a shame reliability couldn't have been better as a fight was deserved at the end. Bring it on again Nico let's have another nail biter. Awesome

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 16:24
He always is. His life is so sad, he needs it.

Oh I spoke too soon. Here we go. Well it's nice to see you didn't kill yourself. I was a bit concerned we hadn't heard from you.

(Not sure he's feeling sad right now lol)

Have a great day everyone!

zako85
Bitter no - delighted that F1 hasn't been made a joke of by rewarding cheating in another year - yes!

The best driver won and now with two championships under his belt he can move on and get three or four!
!

Of all posters on this board, Rosberg's cheating exists only in your mind, of course. I have watched open wheel racing for some time, and I don't see where the cheating happened.

The Black Knight
I don;t think TBK was crass.
and i would not even want to speculate how these boards would have lit up if things turned out differently
shoot, just yesterday somebody was quite crass in making fun of the way hamilton chooses to wear his hat.

oh well

I've been pretty quiet these past few weeks, and now that the better and more deserving driver won
will take this victory and get ready for 2015

I wasn't crass at all! It's just those that supported Nico and his cheating throughout the year unable to accept that the better man won! Nico got what he deserved today as so did Lewis!

Roll in 2015. A new year - a fresh start and may the better man win next year!

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 16:26
A great end to the season, well done Lewis we've waited 6 years for this, over the moon. I'm very drunk and i'll like to say Rosberg has been a fantastic competitor who was magnanimous in defeat. It's such a shame reliability couldn't have been better as a fight was deserved at the end. Bring it on again Nico let's have another nail biter. Awesome

Yeah Nico did provide a great challenge. Despite stuff like 11 wins to 5, you could never be sure Lewis was gonna come out on top in a given race. Nico always had me biting my nails and will continue to do so. His stock has continued to rise since being paired with first Schumacher, then Hamilton.

Zico
23rd November 2014, 16:30
I don;t think TBK was crass.
shoot, just yesterday somebody was quite crass in making fun of the way hamilton chooses to wear his hat.

oh well

I've been pretty quiet these past few weeks, and now that the better and more deserving driver won
will take this victory and get ready for 2015

Fair enough, the deserving driver won, I'm delighted enough with that. Yes the boards would have been lit up by one or two on here if Nico had somehow won the WDC, its inevitable I suppose but personally I always try not to descend to that kind of naff fanboyish face rubbing so that we can all get on better, respect each other and have more constructive discussions about the sport.

rjbetty
23rd November 2014, 16:30
Of all posters on this board, Rosberg's cheating exists only in your mind, of course. I have watched open wheel racing for some time, and I don't see where the cheating happened.

Well I'd like to say I struggle a bit with all that sawing at the wheel in Monaco, though I really tried. Lewis himself also thinks so, and I really don't think he's the type to knowingly accuse like that if he knows the guy is innocent. Others like Jenson seem pretty sure too, so I dunno.

I'm just sayin I ain't gonna hold it against anyone if they're unhappy about Monaco. But anyway it was a cool race. Bit sad Jenson didn't get much attention, was hoping he could make the podium.

Doc Austin
23rd November 2014, 16:49
Too bad the issue was settled by mechanical problems instead of a clean fight. I think everyone is probably happy the double points didn't have an effect. Hamilton won more than twice as many races as anyone else, so I feel the right guy won.

driveace
23rd November 2014, 17:02
Lewis says he saw the telemetry ,of the incident where Rosberg had his supposed off in Monacco .And that's why he released information accusing Rosberg of the incident.He and Button and many other thought he did a Schumacher too.So after the surprise of the Booos ,he probably realized he had damaged his reputation !

jens
23rd November 2014, 17:03
Man I'm a bit disappointed not many people are on here to celebrate. I thought this place would have lit up whatever the result, even if the posts were really negative... :/

Maybe that's the type of celebration - year has been tough, so you first of all need to let all the negative emotions out that have been collected throughout the year and only then you can have relief.;)

zako85
23rd November 2014, 17:22
I feel sorry for Rosberg's mechanical failure at the season's final race. I wish we could have seen the wheel to wheel racing for the title win. But have to admit that the most deserving driver won the title this time. Congrats to Hamilton.

jens
23rd November 2014, 17:24
By the way, the double points stuff still annoys me. When I look at the final point standings, I have a big urge to recalculate the points by giving "normal points" for the last race and then look again how the standings look like.

jens
23rd November 2014, 17:31
Okay, done it. The REAL points without double points. Now I am happy.:p:

HAM 359
ROS 317
RIC 226
BOT 171
VET 163
ALO 159
MAS 116
BUT 116
HUL 88
MAG 55
RAI 54
PER 53

driveace
23rd November 2014, 17:32
Lewis was worried about reliability at the last 10/12 laps with his plea to the team of " Please,please guys don't turn my engine back up "!

steveaki13
23rd November 2014, 19:11
Hi guys.

I am really sorry to have missed the race live with you guys.

I have just got home and watched the entire race.

First things to say.

Really sorry for Nico, he deserved to have a proper fight today. He would have at least finished 2nd and kept the tension until the end.

Anyway it is what it is and Lewis Hamilton fully deserves his World Title for a second time.

Pretty dull race, but Lewis won't care.

What was with Mercedes calling for Nico to retire with 2 laps left????? Saving the car?????

journeyman racer
24th November 2014, 12:25
So all the Hamiltonites (except for rjbetty) come out after the race ends? Disappointing.

airshifter
24th November 2014, 12:45
Well, it appeared that from lights out Lewis had the race in hand. I really wish they hadn't had the reliability issue, as it was obvious both drivers were willing to fight for the race win and possibly affect the title standings. It was great to see Nico take time to thank both Lewis and some of the team members even before the podium ceremony, and it seemed very genuine to me.

And I must say, even after the initial problems, Nico was thinking championship and not giving up. His immediate request to the team was to try to maintain a position high enough that he would cover the points in the event of a DNF by Lewis. That's thinking like a racer, and never giving up. I must admit I was rather gutted after the race end when Paddy got on the radio to apologize to Nico for the car problems, and Nico couldn't even respond. I'm sure at that second it was hard not to respond with something negative, but Nico bit his tongue at least and didn't place any ill will on anyone in the team.

Shame that the last race had reliability problems involved for Nico and Lewis. It made the race up front rather boring. It was great to see Felipe and Valtteri both on the podium, and there were many solid drives in the top 10. Force India really finished the season with a bang with both Hulk and Sergio punking both Ferrari cars as well as one RB and McLaren. As expected great drive by Ricciardo, and as often happens a quiet yet great drive by Jenson as well.

easy rider
26th November 2014, 00:05
Well I'd like to say I struggle a bit with all that sawing at the wheel in Monaco, though I really tried. Lewis himself also thinks so, and I really don't think he's the type to knowingly accuse like that if he knows the guy is innocent. Others like Jenson seem pretty sure too, so I dunno.

Watch for yourself, and draw your own concllusion......I like many doesn't think that he is innocent.

http://vimeo.com/96710217

N. Jones
26th November 2014, 00:12
I hate this track as the races are always decent but not exciting.

Doc Austin
26th November 2014, 00:37
Watch for yourself, and draw your own concllusion......I like many doesn't think that he is innocent.

http://vimeo.com/96710217

Thanks. Confirms what I already suspected.

journeyman racer
26th November 2014, 11:03
There a provision in the NFL, when reviewing a contentious play using video. To overturn a decision, there has to be "conclusive video evidence". That video was inconclusive, which is why I suspect the FIA let Rosberg off, even if they had their own suspicions. The fact that moment is still an issue, after the season has finished, after Hamilton has actually won the title, is actually a poorer reflection on the "fans" who've continued to make it an issue. Even poorer than if Rosberg actually deliberately did. You lot should get over yourselves.

Warriwa
26th November 2014, 11:41
There a provision in the NFL, when reviewing a contentious play using video. To overturn a decision, there has to be "conclusive video evidence". That video was inconclusive, which is why I suspect the FIA let Rosberg off, even if they had there own suspicions. The fact that moment is still an issue, after the season has finished, after Hamilton has actually won the title, is actually a poorer reflection on the "fans" who've continued to make it an issue. Even poorer than if Rosberg actually deliberately did. You lot should get over yourselves.

Are you saying that even if Rosberg did deliberately cheat, the fans of the sport shouldn't give him a hard time about it. Am I understanding you correctly?

rjbetty
26th November 2014, 11:58
There a provision in the NFL, when reviewing a contentious play using video. To overturn a decision, there has to be "conclusive video evidence". That video was inconclusive, which is why I suspect the FIA let Rosberg off, even if they had there own suspicions. The fact that moment is still an issue, after the season has finished, after Hamilton has actually won the title, is actually a poorer reflection on the "fans" who've continued to make it an issue. Even poorer than if Rosberg actually deliberately did. You lot should get over yourselves.

Well you know I guess Keke Rosberg should get over when Schumacher did it. He´s been interestingly silent, yet I hear he worked very closely with Nico on his 2014 campaign. Penny for his thoughts about the incident, cos the Schumacher incident was also inconclusive, strictly speaking. Any judgment on him is purely subjective.

Yes it's pretty clear he did it, but it's also probable Rosberg did too, given the car did not appear at all unsettled before the crazy wheel sawing. It's not wrong for anyone to be unhappy about this. It isn't about Rosberg beating Hamilton and Hamilton fans not being able to take it, since no-one complained about Monaco 2013 or Brazil recently.

As far as I'm concerned, if Schumacher had to live with it throughout his career, so should anyone else. If anyone wants to Multi 21 someone, they have to be willing to pay the price for it. Not cry on the podium like "Mummy? Why are they booing me? *sob*"

journeyman racer
26th November 2014, 13:33
Are you saying that even if Rosberg did deliberately cheat, the fans of the sport shouldn't give him a hard time about it. Am I understanding you correctly?
Even if he deliberately stuffed up that time to gain an advantage. You could not say by that video that conclusively he did it deliberately. If you were the driving steward and found him guilty of that. The subsequent protest would be successful in dismissing the original decision.

journeyman racer
26th November 2014, 13:40
Well you know I guess Keke Rosberg should get over when Schumacher did it. He´s been interestingly silent, yet I hear he worked very closely with Nico on his 2014 campaign. Penny for his thoughts about the incident, cos the Schumacher incident was also inconclusive, strictly speaking. Any judgment on him is purely subjective.

Yes it's pretty clear he did it, but it's also probable Rosberg did too, given the car did not appear at all unsettled before the crazy wheel sawing. It's not wrong for anyone to be unhappy about this. It isn't about Rosberg beating Hamilton and Hamilton fans not being able to take it, since no-one complained about Monaco 2013 or Brazil recently.

As far as I'm concerned, if Schumacher had to live with it throughout his career, so should anyone else. If anyone wants to Multi 21 someone, they have to be willing to pay the price for it. Not cry on the podium like "Mummy? Why are they booing me? *sob*"

No **** you think Rosberg's guilty. You've spent 6 months analysing that video with the prejudiced opinion that he did. Even with that clip, they only compare it to the pole lap. They don't compare it to the numerous laps he did in qualifying and, if there was vision available, practice.

The way some of the critics have gone about it. To make them happy. Rosberg should've been given the equivalent punishment of a red card for a faint shirt tug in soccer.

henners88
26th November 2014, 14:02
Monaco isn't Abu Dhabi and it's all ancient history now anyway. It didn't affect the championship and Nico handled himself very well in defeat. Hamilton is a double World Champion and can be proud he drove consistently and this ultimately won him the ultimate prize. A good season all in all and I hope we have more teams in the mix next year. It's all good.

driveace
26th November 2014, 14:20
Hamiltons win and Championship was won fair and square.
There were no doubts about any races or quail,s he did in 2014
Where as There were doubts about Nico in Monaco and Spa,and Nico realized his reputation had been damaged when he was boooood on the podium ,and since then has tried to get the spectators behind him again ,
Hopefully we can see it all again in 2015 and Nico and Lewis race cleanly .But Lewis has not signed for Mercedes yet ,so is he going to McLaren for the big bucks and Alonso going to partner Rosberg next year ? Only on December 1st will we know

The Black Knight
26th November 2014, 14:55
There a provision in the NFL, when reviewing a contentious play using video. To overturn a decision, there has to be "conclusive video evidence". That video was inconclusive, which is why I suspect the FIA let Rosberg off, even if they had their own suspicions. The fact that moment is still an issue, after the season has finished, after Hamilton has actually won the title, is actually a poorer reflection on the "fans" who've continued to make it an issue. Even poorer than if Rosberg actually deliberately did. You lot should get over yourselves.

I guess people should get over Schumacher Monaco 2006 as well so then. Afterwards, Alonso won the title - Schumacher didn't.

Just as an FYI, it's very clear comparing the video of the qualifying with other videos of Rosberg braking into Mirabeau that the car was completely unsettled. Even in the race he locked up plenty of times and never took to the escape road. It was far more blatant an attempt of cheating than Monaco 2006. Monaco 2006 you could potentially claim to be down to a momentary brain fart, but this was clearly premeditated.

easy rider
26th November 2014, 21:29
Hamiltons win and Championship was won fair and square.
There were no doubts about any races or quail,s he did in 2014
Where as There were doubts about Nico in Monaco and Spa,and Nico realized his reputation had been damaged when he was boooood on the podium

Lewis I'm quite sure has filed into his memory bank what Rosberg is capable of, because he has 2 excellent examples which he should never forget........he better not.

journeyman racer
26th November 2014, 22:01
I guess people should get over Schumacher Monaco 2006 as well so then. Afterwards, Alonso won the title - Schumacher didn't.
Schumacher's incident was conclusive. You didn't need to study the in-car camera endlessly and compare it to other laps. If Schumacher/Ferrari attempted to protest the decision, even they would've been laughed at.

With Schumacher, that incident wasn't about the title. It was about affirming his status as a karmichael, and being a blight on F1/motorsport in the sporting sense.

Just as an FYI, it's very clear comparing the video of the qualifying with other videos of Rosberg braking into Mirabeau that the car was completely unsettled. Even in the race he locked up plenty of times and never took to the escape road.
Like with rj, no **** you think he's guilty. Look how much analysis you've gone to prove guilt. If you were part of a panel that had to hand a judgment, you would not, could not punish him. If you did, you would not be reinstated in that position for following races.

It was far more blatant an attempt of cheating than Monaco 2006. Monaco 2006 you could potentially claim to be down to a momentary brain fart, but this was clearly premeditated.
LOL.

airshifter
28th November 2014, 16:07
Monaco isn't Abu Dhabi and it's all ancient history now anyway. It didn't affect the championship and Nico handled himself very well in defeat. Hamilton is a double World Champion and can be proud he drove consistently and this ultimately won him the ultimate prize. A good season all in all and I hope we have more teams in the mix next year. It's all good.

Henners you have spent too much time away from the forums mate. Mark has been thinking of changing the name to "Conspiracy Theory F1" so that the posts keep within the spirit of the title. You should catch up and read all of the gems about certain drivers gaining mass advantage through the cars and team, blatant cheating at every turn, and pre-determined results!

And the best part of the "Conspiracy Theory F1" is that you can rail against any certain driver, scream and yell and jump up and down for your favored driver, and the whole time claim you have no bias towards any of them in any way. :laugh:

rjbetty
28th November 2014, 17:41
Schumacher's incident was conclusive.

Like with rj, no **** you think he's guilty.

If you were part of a panel that had to hand a judgment, you would not, could not punish him.

I smell massive double standards, almost on a par with what dj comes up with.

Your conclusion on Schumacher is entirely subjective and Keke Rosberg had a lot to say. Schumacher made several dumb mistakes around this time since his 'batteries were getting low'.

I only think Rosberg is probably guilty cos that looks most likely. I'd probably say the same for any other driver. I'm not aware of even a Caterham suddenly swerving back and forth out of control that weekend.

The first thought that entered my mind is that moving the wheel side to side like that is exactly what you'd do if you were trying to feign an accident. It would be what I'd do, if I ever did such a thing. Genuine accidents just look more genuine. I'd probably say the same if it was Hamilton, but happily I'm confident he'd never do such a thing. :)

In case anyone thinks my (probable) guilty verdict is skewed by bias/favourite drivers - consider Schumacher was my favourite ever driver apart from Fisi, yet I accepted he was almost certainly guilty, cos it was plain to see he almost certainly was.

Doc Austin
28th November 2014, 20:39
Qualis at Monaco next year will certainly be most interesting. Anyone who crashes on the last lap had better make it dammed convincing, like maybe flying into the harbor or something. Anything less and the protesting will be deafening.

jens
28th November 2014, 23:13
Qualis at Monaco next year will certainly be most interesting. Anyone who crashes on the last lap had better make it dammed convincing, like maybe flying into the harbor or something. Anything less and the protesting will be deafening.

Monaco is a controversial place due to its tightness. Before the stricter rules of modern era it was common for drivers to get blocked in Monaco qualifying, and in addition to great speed you also needed some fortune in the form of clean track in front of you, if you wanted a good grid slot.

Even Senna was blocking a rival back in 1985 in qualifying!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNLHGJUGTQ

The thing with Monaco is that if you make a mistake, you will automatically ruin the lap of other drivers. And that mistake would be very convenient if you happen to lead the session at the time of this error and there is very little time left for more attempts.

Tazio
29th November 2014, 01:47
Monaco is the most horseshit place/course in major series racing, a lot of shit happens there! :smurf:

dj_bytedisaster
29th November 2014, 04:30

Just as an FYI, it's very clear comparing the video of the qualifying with other videos of Rosberg braking into Mirabeau that the car was completely unsettled. Even in the race he locked up plenty of times and never took to the escape road. It was far more blatant an attempt of cheating than Monaco 2006. Monaco 2006 you could potentially claim to be down to a momentary brain fart, but this was clearly premeditated.

Jeez the bullshit is flowing in here...