PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton: Points lead no comfort for season finale

News
12th November 2014, 14:00
Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton insists his current 17-point advantage over Nico Rosberg in drivers' championship does not give him a margin of safety heading into the Abu Dhabi season finale.
Hamilton can afford to finish second to his team mate and title rival at Yas Marina and still clinch a second drivers' crown, but the Briton believes that he cannot take his lead over Rosberg for granted, and that securing victory should be his sole aim.
"There is zero comfort going into the next race," Hamilton said in Brazil, where he finished second to Rosberg. "There are 50 points to gain [in Abu Dhabi] - that has never happened in Formula One before, and it just so happens to be this season.
"In the last race you never know what is going to happen, so I'm going into it to win."
While he wasn't able to find a way past Rosberg despite a race-long pursuit at Interlagos, Hamilton said he was delighted by the qualities he demonstrated during the chase.
"People over the years have constantly reported about how I use tyres and stuff - showed that I utilise my tyres better than anyone I have raced with up until now. I utilised them better than Nico," he said.
"He was in front and I was always behind, so I was always in his dirty air, scrubbing the life out of the tyres but still staying with him. Then, when he pitted, I had extra pace. So hopefully people can see that - there are a lot of positives to take."
Abu Dhabi will be the fourth time Hamilton has been involved in a final-race F1 title decider. He was in prime position to clinch the crown in his 2007 rookie season, but ultimately fell a single point short of Kimi Raikkonen. In 2008 he prevailed, with a last-lap pass on Timo Glock in Brazil securing him the championship in dramatic circumstances. And in 2010 he had an outside shot at glory going into the final round in Abu Dhabi, but, despite a podium finish, he eventually had to settle for fourth overall.
[B]How the world title will be decided in Abu Dhabi
- If Rosberg wins in Abu Dhabi, Hamilton must finish second to be champion
- If Rosberg is second, Hamilton must finish fifth or higher
- If Rosberg is third, Hamilton must finish sixth or higher
- If Rosberg is fourth, Hamilton must finish eighth or higher
- If Rosberg is fifth, Hamilton must finish ninth or higher
- If Rosberg is sixth or lower, Hamilton is champion

For tickets and travel to 2014 FORMULA 1 races, click here (http://redirect.viglink.com?key=11fe087258b6fc0532a5ccfc9 24805c0&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftickets.formula1.com%2F).
For FORMULA 1 merchandise,