4) Scuderia Ferrari
5) Mclaren
6) Jordan Grand Prix
7) Minardi F1 team
8) Toleman
9) Virgin Racing
10) Sauber F1 Team
11) Lotus Racing

Tracing each of the current teams (well ones that started the season) to their origins. Interesting how Jackie Stewart played a major role in the top two.

Rollo
10th November 2014, 22:46
1) Tyrrell Racing
Tracing each of the current teams (well ones that started the season) to their origins. Interesting how Jackie Stewart played a major role in the top two.

Ken Tyrell's first proper season used Matra chassis.

Matra (Mécanique Aviation TRAction) bought the existing car company Automobiles René Bonnet in the late 1960s

Automobiles René Bonnet was the sucessor of Deutsch-Bonnet which was founded in 1938.

Deutsch-Bonnet's first car was a Panhard based cabriolet at the 1950 Paris Motor Show.

Panhard was originally called Panhard et Levassor and was founded in 1891. Incidentally, Panhard et Levassor finished 1-2 in the 1895 Paris–Bordeaux–Paris which might be considered to be the first proper motor race.

Doc Austin
11th November 2014, 03:14
I got to see the Matra MS650s (I believe that's what they were called) run at Daytona and Sebring, and they sounded so wonderful. I hated it when they got out of racing, but I believe they were a missile manufacturer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%C3%A9rospatiale-Matra) anyway. I don't remember how they got into racing, but they build some great sounding engines.

journeyman racer
11th November 2014, 13:17
F1 turning into nfl "franchises".

D-Type
11th November 2014, 16:03
Shouldn't this be on the "History" forum?

zako85
11th November 2014, 16:21
Shouldn't this be on the "History" forum?

Probably not because it's about the current season.

D-Type
11th November 2014, 21:33
Sorry, when I saw references to Tyrrell, Sir Jackie Stewart, Minardi, Toleman, Lotus, and Matra I didn't see the current season I saw "History".

Does this thread follow on from a previous one that I missed or something?

Doc Austin
11th November 2014, 23:22
I thought it was an interesting topic.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th November 2014, 00:16
Sorry, when I saw references to Tyrrell, Sir Jackie Stewart, Minardi, Toleman, Lotus, and Matra I didn't see the current season I saw "History".

Does this thread follow on from a previous one that I missed or something?

Just taking the current standings and looking at where all the teams came from. A random activity.

MrJan
12th November 2014, 01:06
What's the lineage from Mercedes to Tyrell? As I understood it the Merc is from Brawn>Honda>BAR who were a new team from Prodrive when they started?

Doc Austin
12th November 2014, 01:24
I don't think Pro drive was ever involved in F1. There was all sorts of talk but I don't believe it ever materialized. David Richards was often mentioned in rumors about being a team's next director, but that never materialized either.

With the way the small teams are dropping out of sight, maybe Richards saw something we didn't.

dj_bytedisaster
12th November 2014, 01:29
What's the lineage from Mercedes to Tyrell? As I understood it the Merc is from Brawn>Honda>BAR who were a new team from Prodrive when they started?

Nope. British American Tobacco bought the ailing Tyrell team. Hence the name BAR. Prodrive was rumoured to be interested at around the same time, as was Dome, who even ran a Postlethwaite designed test mule with Verstappen Sr., but both projects never took off.

Doc Austin
12th November 2014, 01:45
Ah, gee. I forgot all about Dome! They built some interesting Lemans cars in the late70/early 80s.

Somebody
12th November 2014, 04:33
Nope. British American Tobacco bought the ailing Tyrell team. Hence the name BAR.

Well,... Yes and no. Yes, BAT bought the Tyrell *franchise*, but they basically shut down the entire team and built a new one from scratch, IIRC.

I believe the relationship between Toleman and Benetton was only slightly less tenuous.

steveaki13
12th November 2014, 08:16

Not much apart from BAR purchased some stuff from Tyrell I seem to remember. Or something like that

MrJan
12th November 2014, 18:40
Nope. British American Tobacco bought the ailing Tyrell team. Hence the name BAR. Prodrive was rumoured to be interested at around the same time, as was Dome, who even ran a Postlethwaite designed test mule with Verstappen Sr., but both projects never took off.

Ah right, knew that BAT were team owners initially (remember being annoyed that they weren't allowed to run two separate liveries so had to have that stupid 'zip' livery), but thought that Prodrive were also involved. Have read a bit more and the Prodrive involvement was later in 2001 when Dave Richards and co ran the team as part of a management contract. Also didn't realise that any of the team had links to Tyrell...and to be honest it doesn't seem like they did, other than taking their position on the grid, so to speak.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th November 2014, 21:58
Well I'm assuming that BAR got Tyrrells prize money from 1998? And BAT already had a major stake in the team from 1997.

Malbec
13th November 2014, 11:40

No, although BAT bought Tyrells F1 entry BAR were effectively a brand new team. Prodrive had a contract with BAT to manage BAR after they got rid of Pollock which is how David Richards and Nick Fry got involved with the team. Once Honda bought the team Prodrive withdrew leaving a couple of people behind like Fry.

Postlethwaite designed Honda's 1999 f1 car with people he brought with him from Tyrell but Dome had nothing to do with the project whatsoever. The car was built by Dallara. Dome built some f1 prototypes to attract Honda support but the car manufacturer was never interested in working with them for f1.

BDunnell
13th November 2014, 11:52
Also didn't realise that any of the team had links to Tyrell...and to be honest it doesn't seem like they did, other than taking their position on the grid, so to speak.

I believe the registered company number has remained the same to this day, from Tyrrell via BAR, Honda and Brawn to Mercedes.

Mark
13th November 2014, 12:16
Tyrell's connection to BAR may be tenuous, but it is there, even if it's just because they are direct replacements. So it counts for these purposes.