PDA

View Full Version : New Jag GT3

viper_man
5th December 2006, 15:52
Well heres the first post of the new GT section!

So what do we all think of the Jag XKR which will be entered by Apex Motorsports in the FIA GT Championship?

http://www.fiagt3.com/newsitem.php?key=99

So far Ive not been able to find too many performance specs for it, but I dont honestly see it being that competitive. Last season front of the field saw battles with cars like the Ferraris, Ascaris, Vipers and later on the Gallardos, so can the jag really cut it?

Remember last time a good looking jag entered the British GT, it was just a converted Grand Am-ish car.

Lousada
5th December 2006, 16:03
It looks like an Aston Martin to me. The Jag will be competitive some races simply because they adjust the rules so that every car is about equal.

Captain VXR
5th December 2006, 16:52
Looks cool, more variety

trumperZ06
5th December 2006, 17:45
:D Good looking car, it does resemble the pro-drive Astom Martin GT-1's that have been running in the series.

;) A couple of questions:

Is there any Ford Factory money involved?

Will we see them enter the ALMS series as well?

I expect that Jag will use the 4.2 liter supercharged engine... with modifictions.

Hhmmm... Supercharged engines have not done well in road racing lately. They tend to over-heat. Wonder if Jaguar can overcome that problem?

:s mokin:

Simon Speichert
5th December 2006, 19:51
Such a beautiful car. Since the demise of Trans-Am I've hoped that the new XKR would be raced in one form or another. GT3 seems to be the way to go in Europe, and with GT3 cars (Johnny Mowlem and Tom Papadopolous' Aston DBRS9s) in Speed World Challenge GT, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we see Jaguar racing in North America again!

grassrootsracer
5th December 2006, 20:03
:D Good looking car, it does resemble the pro-drive Astom Martin GT-1's that have been running in the series.

;) A couple of questions:

Is there any Ford Factory money involved?

Will we see them enter the ALMS series as well?

I expect that Jag will use the 4.2 liter supercharged engine... with modifictions.

Hhmmm... Supercharged engines have not done well in road racing lately. They tend to over-heat. Wonder if Jaguar can overcome that problem?

:s mokin:

It resembles the Aston Martin because it was designed by the same fellow who designed the DB7 and Vanquish, Ian Callum. I do like the new looks, personally.

According to the Apex Motorsport website, they are in a contract with Jaguar to develop the car, so I would imagine some sort of money is coming out of Ford pockets. This is purely speculation.

No announcements have been made for any Jaguar teams for 2007. Maybe a team will step up for 2008 after Apex Motorsport proves it's a competitive car.

Captain VXR
5th December 2006, 21:05
In UK magazine Auto Express,they said two teams wanted to run three each :up:

harvick#1
5th December 2006, 21:15
It would be nice to see a new GT1 car. having the Chevy vs. Aston Martin is getting old, and Saleen rarely makes a visit.

grassrootsracer
5th December 2006, 21:31
Agreed, harvick. GT1 this year was a joke. Don't get me wrong, I like the cars and there was some exciting racing, but having only four consistent cars left me wanting more.

Mark in Oshawa
6th December 2006, 10:31
That has always been the problem in ALMS. Not enough cars but I hope the Jags run on both sides of the pond. Of course, I still am in mourning over the fact the old Jag GTP's are now history. I miss seeing Jaguar winning LeMans...no other Marque save Porsche made their bones are LeMans like Jag....

Lousada
6th December 2006, 12:11
I don't think GT3 cars are allowed in ALMS?

1LM1
6th December 2006, 12:39
That's what I was wondering about. Is there a possibily to see that car (or a slightly different version) in the ALMS, the LMS and at Le Mans ?

grassrootsracer
6th December 2006, 20:29
It makes me wonder how different GT2 cars are from GT3.

Supercharged and turbocharged engines are limited to a maximum of 4.0 liters displacement for GT2, while GT3 has no limit.

ALMS/LMS GT2 Regs (should be the same as FIA FT2):
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/reglements/ressources/auto_2007/regl_2007_LMGT2_fr_gb.pdf
FIA GT2 Regs:
http://www.fiagt.com/system/_download.php?filename=GT2_regs_Art_257.pdf
FIA GT3 Regs:
http://www.fiagt3.com/system/_download.php?filename=GT3-Tech-Regs.pdf

DocF225
6th December 2006, 20:56
Be nice to see Jag back on this side of the pond. Haven't seen a cat in a race (save vintage) since Trans Am died here.

If they show themselves to be competitive in Europe, Ford may pony up some dollars and work them into ALMS but I suspect we'll see the Mustangs here in GT1 long before the XKR's.

Jag_Warrior
10th December 2006, 18:48
I think Ford Racing's idea of "factory support" revolves around selling cars like the Mustang Man Racer, more so than putting real dollars into a racing driven marketing program for Jaguar... which really makes me sad. The brand is really suffering in the U.S. and Ford doesn't seem to have a plan to deal with it.

Hopefully the XKR GT3 will make it into some series in the U.S., if not ALMS (which looks kind of sick in GT1 going into '07 anyway), then maybe Speed World Challenge.

Mark in Oshawa
12th December 2006, 00:31
Any time Jag is on the track, I hope to witness it. It is a brand that was made on the race track.

Captain VXR
12th January 2007, 21:22
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1521/
Pictures and article here

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2007, 23:05
That's a sexy car. I hope it does better than the Jaguar F1 car.

Jaguar belongs in GT racing. :)

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 19:41
That's a sexy car. I hope it does better than the Jaguar F1 car.

Jaguar belongs in GT racing. :)

Hard NOT to do better than the Jag f1 car. IT just didnt' work, and to be fair, wasn't given the right people.

Jags are street cars, luxury sports cars, and that is a marque that is meant to be seen in sports car racing. I don't think a better way of marketing Jaguars has been found. They are classy and luxurious, but people think of Jaguars and sports car racing...

Les
13th January 2007, 21:58
in case you are interested.....

JAGUAR XKR GT3 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

Engine: Supercharged 4.2 litre, V8 petrol
Transmission: Hewland 6-speed sequential trans-axle
Steering: Electric hydraulic power assisted
Clutch: Alcon 140mm triple-plate carbon/carbon
Suspension: 4-way adjustable coil over dampers
Brakes: Alcon 6-pot front calipers on 375mm discs
Alcon 4-pot rear calipers on 330mm discs
Wheels and tyres: OZ Racing 18 x 11” rims front and rear
Michelin 11” racing tyres front and rear
Body: Aluminium with integrated T45 steel roll cage
Length: 4900mm
Width: 1892mm
Wheelbase: 2752mm
Maximum power: 475+ bhp

viper_man
13th January 2007, 22:39
475? Maybe could do with another few to compete with the top class GT3 cars. Any idea on weight?

viper_man
16th January 2007, 22:03
First real pics Ive seen rather than computer generated http://www.supercars.net/cars/3637.html

The first test is at Monza on Feb 22nd/23rd

Scuderia ferrari
20th January 2007, 20:07
It looks like an Aston Martin to me. The Jag will be competitive some races simply because they adjust the rules so that every car is about equal.

No, defiently is a jag, saw it on serious wheels here before, anyway, the car is looking nice.