PDA

View Full Version : Wales Rally GB - Newbie Info

ricky74
1st November 2014, 18:40
Hi,

Thinking about taking my 6 year old lad to watch the Wales Rally GB on Sunday Nov 16th. Never been before, so couple of daft questions to make sure we enjoy it. Appreciate any views from people who went last year

The official website is pushing the Rallyfest at Kinmel Park:
1) Is this any good?
2) Decent views of the cars?
3) Enough space to find somewhere to watch (i.e. a 6yr old not stuck behind everyone)?
4) Stage timings imply you only see the cars for a minute then they're gone?
5) What other stuff is going on at the Rallyfest?

OR, go to the forest stages at Brenig / Alwen:
1) Do you just pick a spot at sit there to watch or move between forests?
2) Any recommendations for a good spot?
3) How much of the cars do you see?

thanks in advance.
Richard

Brynmor Pierce
1st November 2014, 23:32
Hi,

Thinking about taking my 6 year old lad to watch the Wales Rally GB on Sunday Nov 16th. Never been before, so couple of daft questions to make sure we enjoy it. Appreciate any views from people who went last year

The official website is pushing the Rallyfest at Kinmel Park:
1) Is this any good?
2) Decent views of the cars?
3) Enough space to find somewhere to watch (i.e. a 6yr old not stuck behind everyone)?
4) Stage timings imply you only see the cars for a minute then they're gone?
5) What other stuff is going on at the Rallyfest?

OR, go to the forest stages at Brenig / Alwen:
1) Do you just pick a spot at sit there to watch or move between forests?
2) Any recommendations for a good spot?
3) How much of the cars do you see?

thanks in advance.
Richard

I'll try and answer those for you...(remember Kinmel is advanced ticket only)

1, Yes if you've got kids
2, you should be able to see them for roughly a minute each, both International and National are doing 2 runs of the stage each.
3, viewing is on a gentle slope so ideal.
4, as answer 2
5, Commentary, displays, I think there's a trade village etc etc

I've a 6 year old myself and wouldn't take him into the woods until he's about 8 to be honest....if you go give me a wave in 234

Mintexmemory
2nd November 2014, 00:31
To add to Brynmor's good advice, take a beer crate or similar for jr. to stand on in case the crowd is a bit too tall!

Talbot
2nd November 2014, 08:31
Your lad is still v young, but there's no reason he shouldn't enjoy the event, if you know what to expect. To avoid getting stuck in traffic you should aim to get to the stages a good few hours before the 1st car is due. At Kinmel park there's a good display of cars to keep youngsters occupied. I'm sure you will anyway but keep him well wrapped up and well fed. My own experience tells me that cold bored and hungry youngsters don't make an enjoyable day out.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd November 2014, 17:16
A trip to the service park at Deeside is also recommended. Saturday lunchtime will have all the top cars & drivers there and there is a lot to see.

I got some great photos and memorabilia and met & chatted with a few drivers (Hirvonen, Ostberg & Mikkelsen) there last year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZDWUaRIAAElq6c.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZDW2teIIAAwRiy.jpg:large