PDA

View Full Version : 2014 USA GP Thread

steveaki13
27th October 2014, 23:35
So after a three week break, we move into the last few weeks of another season.

I cannot believe how quick it has gone.

Sad state of affairs with only 18 cars showing up. Caterham & Marussia both missing and I for one will miss them

Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes

Nico Rosberg
Mercedes

Daniel Ricciardo
Red Bull

Valterri Bottas
Williams

Sebastian Vettel
Red Bull

Fernando Alonso
Ferrari

Jenson Button
Mclaren

Nico Hulkenberg
Force India

Felipe Massa
Williams

Kevin Magnussen
Mclaren

Sergio Perez
Force India

Kimi Raikkonen
Ferrari

Jean Eric Vergne
Toro Rosso

Romain Grosjean
Lotus

Danii Kyvat
Toro Rosso

Jules Bianchi
Marussia

Adrian Sutil
Sauber

Marcus Ericcson
Caterham

Pastor Maldonado
Lotus

Esteban Gutierrez
Sauber

Max Chilton
Marussia

Kamui Kobayashi
Caterham

Andre Lotterer
Caterham

Mercedes

Red Bull

Williams

Ferrari

Mclaren

Force India

Toro Rosso

Lotus

Marussia

Sauber

Caterham

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Austin_circuit.svg/640px-Austin_circuit.svg.png

56 Laps

Lap Record: 1:39:347- Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull

Session Times - Local & (Uk -Sorry :vampire:)

FP1: 10:00-11:30 - (15:00 - 16:30)
FP 2: 14:00-15:30 -(19:00-20:30)

FP3: 10:00-11:00 - (15:00-16:00)
Quali: 13:00 - (18:00)

Race: 14:00 - (20:00)

Previous Winners

2012: Lewis Hamilton - Mclaren
2013: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull

Multiple Winners

Michael Schumacher - 5 wins
Graham Hill - 3 wins
Jim Clark - 3 wins
Jackie Stewart - 2 wins
James Hunt - 2 wins
Carlos Reutemann - 2 wins
Ayrton Senna - 2 wins
Lewis Hamilton - 2 wins

Ferrari - 9 wins
Lotus - 8 wins
Mclaren - 8 wins
BRM - 3 wins
Tyrell - 2 wins

So there we go. 3 Rounds left and yet with double points we have no sign of who will win the Championship.

I hope you enjoy the race

Duncan
28th October 2014, 00:23
Yes, be a shame not to have Caterham and Marussia there, but it looks like they just don't have the money. Sauber and Lotus aren't looking too great either.

Anyway, for this circuit I've got to pick Lewis and Nico closely followed by Valtteri and Felipe. There's always a possibility of Nico and Lewis coming together on the first corner and taking each other out, but I'm kind of assuming that at this stage of the season it's in both their interests to be careful. But who knows?

Brown, Jon Brow
28th October 2014, 11:28
The problem with this circuit is that it is so wide the cars look like toys!

The Black Knight
28th October 2014, 14:11
Looking forward to this GP. I really like this track and I think the first race here was an awesome drive by Lewis to win. Hopefully it will be a clean fight for the two Mercedes drivers. Lewis only needs a race win and two second places to win the championship now even with the retarded double points rule. Since Nico has not managed to win back to back races this year it's looking good for him but needs to keep on driving like he is for the next 4 weeks and a half weeks!

It's tragic that Marussia won't be there. Of all the back runner teams you always felt they were the ones that might break it into the midfield. Caterham having been mismanaged I can't see them surviving but hopefully Marussia will pull through.

Doc Austin
28th October 2014, 17:14
Sad state of affairs with only 18 cars showing up. Caterham & Marussia both missing and I for one will miss them.

I won't really miss them because they were never a factor. The biggest news either team has ever produced was one ninth place finish. The only time you see either team is when they are getting lapped.

Of course, I feel really back for everyone who might lose their job, be it drivers, mechanics or engineers. I am certainly not callous about that aspect of this mess.

The problem for these teams is that they can't generate the kind of funding it takes to compete at this level. In fact, it's more than they can do just to merely show up. Is this because they are inept at raising funding, or is this because the cost of F1 is so ridiculously high?

The problem of teams coming and going is never going to end as long as Bernie has an attitude that as much as amounts to "**** 'em." All the money that cat makes and he let the original Lotus and Brabham teams disappear. Certainly it's not Bernie's business to burn money on teams that are going broke, but if he will let those two teams slide off into history, don't expect him to help Caterham or Marussia.

In fact,. I think Bernie wants all the small teams to go broke so he can have his three car teams. Maybe he thinks it's better than all we have in F1 is big, glamorous names, even if it's only two or three of them. You know, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams running seven car apiece.

It is not hard to imagine Sauber or Lotus dropping out in the off season, and who even knows what kind of financial trouble Force India has. Those three teams are probably on the teetering point, and if you take them out, we're down to 12 cars.

Basically, there is not enough money out there to finance 22 cars on an unlimited budget. The world economy sucks right now, so it's not like the 80s when there was so much money we had to have pre-qualifying before qualifying. That would be a nice problem to have, but we are never going to have that kind of grid again even in good times if it's still too dammed expensive.

Bagwan
28th October 2014, 18:23
There is enough money out there , if there was a budget cap .

As it is , the ones who win are the manufacturers , but only really because they can call it exposure .
It's all bent towards them to start off so they won't leave , but they spend it all to win .

You have to have Bull dollars to get into the real money at the front , and patience money , too , because you don't get your cut until you've been around long enough .

It's time soon for a crisis meeting , where the remote possibility of some common sense prevailing could be on the cards .
We have two definitely down , and a few more not very healthy .

Sauber , Lotus , and Force India should be able , easily , to make the cost cap case very real to all those involved .
And , to be sure , right now is the time , as they are due to sign on to next year on November 1st .

Duncan
28th October 2014, 18:46
There is plenty of cash being generated by F1 as a sport to finance all of the teams, but the distribution is so heavily weighted in favor of the most successful teams that it appears effectively impossible for new entrants to climb the ladder. There's always going to be a good deal of advantage given to the highest performing teams having the greatest access to development funds, but the dropoff towards the back of the grid is just too steep. You can lay blame at the door of team management in some cases, but it looks like we'll be starting next year without any of the three recent new teams with HRT, Caterham and Marussia biting the dust in order. At some point you have to conclude that the problem is systemic and not specific.

I really don't think the issue is overall lack of money in the sport. It's the distribution...

steveaki13
28th October 2014, 21:28
I won't really miss them because they were never a factor. The biggest news either team has ever produced was one ninth place finish. The only time you see either team is when they are getting lapped.

And so half the entries in F1 history are meaningless, do know why they all bothered.

Sorry but I dislike this attitude. F1 has forever seen teams like them involved and IMO its a damn sight better for them being around.

dj_bytedisaster
29th October 2014, 00:08
And so half the entries in F1 history are meaningless, do know why they all bothered.

Sorry but I dislike this attitude. F1 has forever seen teams like them involved and IMO its a damn sight better for them being around.

Agree. Such cyniscism is ridiculous. Especially considering that the three new teams in 2010 were lured in under false premises. Word was there would be a cost cap - it never came.

Doc Austin
29th October 2014, 00:56

I never said I wanted them gone or didn't care. I just won't miss them. It's not like the battle for 20th gets a lot of TV time, does it?

Perhaps you did not read my entire post.

dj_bytedisaster
29th October 2014, 01:19
I never said I wanted them gone or didn't care. I just won't miss them. It's not like the battle for 20th gets a lot of TV time, does it?

Perhaps you did not read my entire post.

You will miss them when that 3-car dreck is put in action and we get to see three Mercedes on the podium every other week.

Tazio
29th October 2014, 02:27
And against this backdrop today we have:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2014/10/29/Franchises/Haas-F1-Jacobs.aspx
Interesting times ahead for U.S. open wheel racing, I guess we'll see if Gene has crystal balls :confused: :angel:

Tazio
29th October 2014, 15:39
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1Hc9PqIgAEURgp.png:large

The Boss wearing a silly hat (IMO) on The Today Show this morning! :angel:

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/29/video-lewis-hamilton-on-today-show-talks-about-f1-in-the-u-s/

Duncan
29th October 2014, 22:28
And against this backdrop today we have:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2014/10/29/Franchises/Haas-F1-Jacobs.aspx
Interesting times ahead for U.S. open wheel racing, I guess we'll see if Gene has crystal balls :confused: :angel:

...and a couple of drivers with big brass ones. :angel:

Duncan
31st October 2014, 17:37
Just finished watching free practice one from turn 12 here at COTA. Great place to sit- you can see about half the track from here. Very noticeable how much quieter the cars are now...

Lotus are trying out an alternative to the bonkers double nose. Didn't seem to help much. Mercedes fast all session, along with McLaren and Ferrari. Williams surprisingly nowhere all session.

Duncan
31st October 2014, 21:55
Hamilton spent much of FP2 in the pits with some kind of issue, but still posted the fastest time of the session. Williams started to look better, and Kvyat was impressive again.

Also notable that both Lotus cars seemed to be running brakes hotter than everybody else. For the most part I only saw glowing brake discs from Grosjean and Maldonado.

Brown, Jon Brow
31st October 2014, 22:23
A hydraulic issue for Hamilton. Mercedes over a second faster than everyone else.

Tazio
1st November 2014, 02:16
Hamilton spent much of FP2 in the pits with some kind of issue, but still posted the fastest time of the session. Williams started to look better, and Kvyat was impressive again.

Also notable that both Lotus cars seemed to be running brakes hotter than everybody else. For the most part I only saw glowing brake discs from Grosjean and Maldonado.Hope you're having a ball Dunc'!! :angel:

Duncan
1st November 2014, 06:09
Hope you're having a ball Dunc'!! :angel:

Oh yeah. Nothing quite like seeing the cars up close... :-)

steveaki13
1st November 2014, 13:10
Now talk of F1 having only 14 cars next year and protests and Sauber, Lotus & Force India muting a withdrawal and their co owner saying F1 2015 will have to be different.

Worrying times for F1.

I wonder if when Bernie goes something will change to make F1 easier for new teams/smaller teams

jens
1st November 2014, 15:23
I wonder if when Bernie goes something will change to make F1 easier for new teams/smaller teams

Well, he but most of all FIA has to do something, because they need to guarantee 20 cars from what I can understand. Obviously a couple of races can be an exception, but not when the new season starts next year and entry list is empty.

So it is the matter of finding new (competent, competitive) teams or enforcing third cars... But that will be the discussion for the 2015 season.

Tazio
1st November 2014, 15:56
P3 Dunc', the weather looks nice!!!

Crap, I guess I have to be a Mercedes Honk now :mad:

Mercedes AMG will take a 25 per cent stake in MV Agusta as it looks to emulate rivals Audi with a move into the motorcycling market.

The deal will see Daimler AG's performance arm, Mercedes-AMG (which runs the marque's F1 effort), enter into a long-term partnership with the iconic Italian manufacturer. The partnership will also see Mercedes-AMG acquire a 25 per cent interest in MV Agusta Motor S.p.A.

Mercedes-AMG's move comes after rivals Audi completed the purchase of Ducati in 2012 for more than £700 million, though no figures of this deal were disclosed.

“In MV Agusta, we have found the perfect two-wheel partner for Mercedes-AMG,” said Mercedes-AMG Chief Executive Tobias Moers. “This manufacturer with a long tradition and Mercedes-AMG are connected not only by a long and successful racing history, but also by shared values and goals for the future – allowing the experience of utmost perfection, optimal performance and motorsport technology for the road. The cooperation with MV Agusta also underscores the importance of AMG as the sports-car and high-performance brand of Mercedes-Benz Cars. The partnership provides us with an entry into a world of additional high-performance enthusiasts
http://i.imgur.com/dU2kG9V.jpg?2

:angel:

Duncan
1st November 2014, 18:21
FP3 was interesting. Hamilton had a spin right in front of where we were sitting. Williams appeared where I expexted them to be behind Mercedes and ahead of Ferrari. Lotus have reverted to the double nose...

Times were all over the place until the last ten minutes when everybody put on soft tires and did a few quick laps. No real suprises in the order in the end.

steveaki13
1st November 2014, 18:56
Quali time

Its just whether Lewis can cope and get the expected pole.

Having been in front all weekend.

Tazio
1st November 2014, 19:09
Quali Steve!@! :stareup:

steveaki13
1st November 2014, 19:17
Vettel looking relaxed. He will be happy to have some fun from the back I guess.

Grosjean looking wayward

Tazio
1st November 2014, 19:17
:wave: :angel:

Tazio
1st November 2014, 19:29
Typical if Alonso does his best time in Q2. Why does he always do dat! :crazy: :p:

steveaki13
1st November 2014, 19:36
Hamilton calling his car a "thing" (this things got a vibration)

Plenty of others would fancy a go in that thing :p

What a lap by Rosberg 1:36.2

Tazio
1st November 2014, 19:38
Right Steve, and Slash made it into Q3!! :eek: ;)

donKey jote
1st November 2014, 20:05
Well done Nico. Ham will be scrubbing his tyres tonight :-p

Tazio
1st November 2014, 20:11
Well done Nico. Ham will be scrubbing his tyres tonight :-pSpanky, spanky!! :angel:

The Black Knight
1st November 2014, 20:13
Well done to Nico - he managed to convincingly beat Lewis today without cheating. Lewis's car didn't look as well balanced as Nico's from the on board camera. He was locking that front left continually. It's be an interesting race tomorrow. Hopefully Lewis will win and pull out the gap to a point where two second places will do him in the final two races.

Duncan
1st November 2014, 20:41
Wow @ Maldonado. I'm not exactly his biggest fan, but he managed to wring a lot out of that car today.

mr_swiss
2nd November 2014, 00:37
Wow @ Maldonado. I'm not exactly his biggest fan, but he managed to wring a lot out of that car today.

As did Sutil

journeyman racer
2nd November 2014, 01:46
Hamilton's been fastest in each practice session, then Rosberg gets pole by 4/10ths?

Hmmm...

rjbetty
2nd November 2014, 06:36
I'm still totally convinced Nico will end up with the most points after Abu Dhabi.

The Black Knight
2nd November 2014, 10:25
I'm still totally convinced Nico will end up with the most points after Abu Dhabi.

It's a possibility. It would be a tragedy for the sport to have someone that cheated throughout the year as champion. It's not a good image for te a sport to have. The deserving driver that has won 9 races this year and not cheated in the process should win but ya know sport is not always fair. I guess we'll know in three weeks time :)

However, given the commercial benefits to Merc of having a German WDC, it is strange that Hamilton once again develops further brake problems when it matters in qualifying. He had some all weekend but exacerbated in qualifying - odd.

It does show though that there is something very wrong with the points system when a guy that has 9 race wins, including won 4 races twice in a row, compared to another guys scattered 4 race wins, may still lose the WDC. It coneys to me that the points gulf between first and second place isn't enough under the current points system.

Zico
2nd November 2014, 13:42
Screw this, I'm moving from the middle over to the dark side to even things up on here.. ;)

Hamilton's been fastest in each practice session, then Rosberg gets pole by 4/10ths?

Hmmm...

Nico is just the better driver and was obviously hiding these 2 tenths through the practice sessions (where it didn't matter) to totally demoralise Hamilton in Q3 forcing the inferior Lewis to whine like the baby he is that he had brake problems. You'd think he would have learned by now not to display all his cards (trace data) until it really mattered.

Merc will still sabotage Nicos race again today though because the team boss's need to further penalise Nico for Hamiltons mistake at Spa and also justify paying Lewis's higher wage to the Merc board. I honestly don't get it, you'd think a German team would be proud of their nationality, motorsport history and pedigree and allow their 'teutonic' driver to take the wins and WDC he so obviously deserves for Mercedes and the fatherland.

jens
2nd November 2014, 13:57
One thing is sure. Whenever one driver beats another, it is always conspiracy. No other option. This means there is conspiracy all the time, because always somebody beats somebody else!

zako85
2nd November 2014, 14:01
There is plenty of cash being generated by F1 as a sport to finance all of the teams, but the distribution is so heavily weighted in favor of the most successful teams that it appears effectively impossible for new entrants to climb the ladder. There's always going to be a good deal of advantage given to the highest performing teams having the greatest access to development funds, but the dropoff towards the back of the grid is just too steep. You can lay blame at the door of team management in some cases, but it looks like we'll be starting next year without any of the three recent new teams with HRT, Caterham and Marussia biting the dust in order. At some point you have to conclude that the problem is systemic and not specific.

I really don't think the issue is overall lack of money in the sport. It's the distribution...

Bernie and the top teams always rub each other's back. Bernie gives them money. In return they agree to some of his retarded antics, like the double points finishes in the last race.

zako85
2nd November 2014, 14:06
It's a possibility. It would be a tragedy for the sport to have someone that cheated throughout the year as champion. It's not a good image for te a sport to have.

This image exists only in your mind.

Zico
2nd November 2014, 14:15

...and the minds of thousands of others. ;)

Whether Nico cheated or not and regardless of what happens, the double pointer in Abu Dhabi is still farcical in my eyes and has really put a dampener on my enthusiasm for the so called 'sport'.

airshifter
2nd November 2014, 14:50
One thing is sure. Whenever one driver beats another, it is always conspiracy. No other option. This means there is conspiracy all the time, because always somebody beats somebody else!

Maybe it livens things up for some people, but I prefer to just live in the reality of what it is. Drivers racing win some, and lose some.

zako85
2nd November 2014, 15:11
...and the minds of thousands of others. ;)

Whether Nico cheated or not and regardless of what happens, the double pointer in Abu Dhabi is still farcical in my eyes and has really put a dampener on my enthusiasm for the so called 'sport'.

I agree with you on the issue of the double points finish. If Nico wins the WDC because of double points, it will be unfair and unsporting. So far Hamilton remains the most deserving candidate to win this years title. However, agreeing with the ridiculousness of the Abu Dhabi points does not really give anyone right to label Rosberg as a cheater. To this point I still don't get how so many people have fantasized that an average incident, by open wheel standards, at Spa was actually both intentional and cheating. If I was paid one buck for every punctured or broken nose in open wheel racing, I could buy myself a rib eye steak today :-)

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 15:12
It's a possibility. It would be a tragedy for the sport to have someone that cheated throughout the year as champion. It's not a good image for te a sport to have.

+1
A tragedy more mythical than anything that came out of Athens in the 5th century BCE.

Doc Austin
2nd November 2014, 17:02
It would be a tragedy for the sport to have someone that cheated throughout the year as champion.

Probably would not be the first time. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Formula_One_cheating_controversy)

jens
2nd November 2014, 19:52
If you look at history, there have been many controversial titles.

In 2003 Schumacher's title was tainted, because Michelin tyres got banned before the Italian GP.
In 2009 Button's title was tainted, because the double-diffusers were not banned.
In 2013 Vettel's title was tainted, because Pirelli replaced its tyres mid-season to "benefit RBR". Plus in some other season Red Bull arguably had flexi-wings or whatever.
In 1989 Prost's title was tainted, because arguably Balestre supported him all the way and disqualified Senna from Suzuka.
In 1990 Senna's title was tainted, because he deliberately crashed into Prost.
In 1981 Piquet's title was tainted, because Brabham exploited a loophole to design a car to get around 'sliding skirts' ban.

And more...

People may have been forgotten about these things by now, but when the seasons were on-going, there was heavy ongoing upheaval about these issues.

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd November 2014, 20:44
Thank god, that woman has stopped that awful singing!

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 20:48
Damn she is crap at her job. Haven't heard the anthem farted like that since the unhinged Aerosmith dude at Indianapolis.

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 20:51
dawgs :wave:

Koz
2nd November 2014, 20:53
Hey guys!

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd November 2014, 20:53
Damn she is crap at her job. Haven't heard the anthem farted like that since the unhinged Aerosmith dude at Indianapolis.

What's wrong with having an orchestra playing the national anthem? Like every other GP.

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 20:54
Hay girls :wave:

Koz
2nd November 2014, 20:54
Will Nico survive into the first corner? :o

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 20:56
'sup Koz? Let's go racing. Where is Steve?

andyone
2nd November 2014, 20:57
ok now the wait is over.. formation lap now

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 20:57
I think this is Nico's race to lose. If Bottas gets past The Boss on the clean side it could be game over!

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:01
Perez *facepalm*

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:03
Donkey of the race already decided. Colliding with two in a single corner is quite an achievement. What a plonker!

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 21:03
Checo you dummy!!

TheFamousEccles
2nd November 2014, 21:04
Once again less than a lap before SC, because of a hothead who should have learned by now!

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 21:07
Felipe baby :sailor:

steveaki13
2nd November 2014, 21:08
Hi everyone, sorry I am late. I was at Brands Hatch today and just got back in time before the start.

Stupid move by Perez. Donkey already and poor Sutil smashed out.

Anyway racing again

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd November 2014, 21:09
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/11021_10152850719783028_4367955731438544851_n.jpg? oh=7977a92625692449f8240bceb1604ef0&oe=54EFD135&__gda__=1423457506_7aab67a32522c0c43477c5bbaa84efb 7

The best way to spend a Sunday!!!!

steveaki13
2nd November 2014, 21:09
Ricciardo more brilliant moves.

Great stuff

steveaki13
2nd November 2014, 21:12
already more interesting than Russia:\\

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:13
already more interesting than Russia:\\

Watching paint dry is more interesting than Russia.

Koz
2nd November 2014, 21:16
Felipe, Bottas is faster than you!!

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 21:20
:yawn:

Call me when the paint dries

:dozey:

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:25
Wonder what Merc will come up with to correct the order of running

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 21:26
Felipe, Bottas is faster than you!!Is he Koz
? It seems like he is losing a little ground!

N4D13
2nd November 2014, 21:28
Since RTL's live feed isn't working really well tonight, I'm following a stream from Venezuela. Let me assure you - no matter how bad your commenters are, they can't beat Milka Duno and whatsisname.

Koz
2nd November 2014, 21:28
He was a few laps ago... Did the tyres just start falling off?

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:29
Since RTL's live feed isn't working really well tonight, I'm following a stream from Venezuela. Let me assure you - no matter how bad your commenters are, they can't beat Milka Duno and whatsisname.

Oh dear, Milka Duno is capital punishment...

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 21:34
Sky: http://www.vipleague.se/motorsports/183234/1/f1-grand-prix-tv---practices,-qualifying-and-races-live-stream-online.html

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:38
Listening to Vettel-RB radio is like watching a break-up

Mark
2nd November 2014, 21:41
Battle for the lead is on

Mark
2nd November 2014, 21:43
Yes!

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 21:43
Did I just miss something? :p

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 21:44
Nico fell asleep :laugh:

Mark
2nd November 2014, 21:45
Did I just miss something? :p

No nothing :D

steveaki13
2nd November 2014, 21:45
Damn Dj, Mercedes invented DRS to screw Nico over. ;)

andyone
2nd November 2014, 21:47
hamilton through awesome

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:47
Vettel's been punked by a Lotus - how shit is that car??

Koz
2nd November 2014, 21:48
Alonso! :D

steveaki13
2nd November 2014, 21:48
Blimey, Vettel can barely keep that car on the race track.

Such curious problems. Not that Red Bull would care now.

Koz
2nd November 2014, 21:49
Lotus :D

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:51
LOL, Button :D Epic radio message

Zico
What a huge leap forward in performance by Lotus, great stuff!

andyone
lol.. Jenson Button.. " are you sure"

steveaki13
2nd November 2014, 21:52
Anyone else looking at the amount of drivers going off track and thinking that these drivers are unable to actually stay on track for more than a lap?

I mean mistakes galore with no gravel or grass, and so we see sloppy driving all over. skill levels of drivers dropping these days. No wonder 14 year olds can get into F1 :rolleyes:

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 21:52
Jenson having a moan :p

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 21:56
Seems like Felipe is spanking VB

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 21:58
Vettel 1sec faster after the stop despite same tyres. Must have been a shockingly bad set before. I thought such things shouldn't happen anymore in this day and age..

Koz
2nd November 2014, 21:58
Williams... Disgraceful.

steveaki13
2nd November 2014, 22:02
Williams every pit stop letting Red Bull jump them.

Bit of a joke

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 22:13
MB ceasing to sandbag and utterly spanking the field...

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 22:21
Watching Vettel struggle around with a Monza rear wing is just ridiculous...

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 22:27
Kimi gets punked by Kyvi:p

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 22:29
Kimi gets punked by Kyvi:pSmoked!

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 22:33
Smoked!
Lapped?

Mark
2nd November 2014, 22:39
Worth staying up for. Well done Hamilton!

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 22:40
Alo told to give it to vet :p

Zico
2nd November 2014, 22:41
Maldo ignoring the blue flags to overtake Button as he slowed for them? Charlie must do something about that.

gm99
2nd November 2014, 22:41
It was too late to make sense. They just fucked up his race.

No, they didn't. He finished 7th, which was exactly the position he was in before the stop.

Tazio
2nd November 2014, 22:43
Alo told to give it to vet :p:rotflmao:

truefan72
2nd November 2014, 22:45
lol @ dj_bytedisaster

that strategy worked out perfectly for Vettel and RBR
at least admit you were wrong

jens
Wow, what a fight in the midfield. Fantastic stuff! How did Vettel end up 7th after that lol? Was cheering for Grosjean there, shame his steering got bent in the end. But that's tough racing, and good so see it.:) All the way till the end the order was unclear.

Koz
Fuck knows what RB were trying to do. What the hell was that? At least he took the fl with him. I can't make sense of that lot lately...

FFS man, are you retarded?

Vettel nearly got Alonso - best of the rest, why the hell are you whining?

dj_bytedisaster
Ouch, Rosberg is pissed off.

truefan72

who knows koz

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 22:47

very simple. He was 7th before the pitstop driving the same times as all others around him. Where's the point in risking that if you come from the back, especially when you already had one foul set of tyres?

jens
2nd November 2014, 22:50
very simple. He was 7th before the pitstop driving the same times as all others around him. Where's the point in risking that if you come from the back, especially when you already had one foul set of tyres?

Well, unlike us they had the tyre degradation data and feared Vettel may not make it to end. Look at how Button struggled and dropped. Magnussen held on, but Vettel's tyres may have been in worse state at that stage, we do not know. Vettel's gamble looked strange, but in critical situations you may need to make marginal decisions. And as we see, it worked out. Fresh tyres really gave a good boost.

truefan72
2nd November 2014, 22:52
Well, unlike us they had the tyre degradation data and feared Vettel may not make it to end. Look at how Button struggled and dropped. Magnussen held on, but Vettel's tyres may have been in worse state at that stage, we do not know. Vettel's gamble looked strange, but in critical situations you may need to make marginal decisions. And as we see, it worked out. Fresh tyres really gave a good boost.

and may we remind him vettel pitted ages ago and those tires would have gone off the cliff before the end...like kimi's did

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd November 2014, 22:52
A good podium for Ricciardo, beating the Willys in a slower car. Perhaps Team Willy lost it by themselves though.

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 22:54

Button's tyres were older than Vettel's The thing I just don't like is that RB used him as a strategy guinea pig throughout the season, resulting in things like himbeing humiliated like at Monza. I think it is classless doing that to a guy who gave you 4 world titles.

Koz
2nd November 2014, 22:54

No. Because if he was left out and passed by anyone, you'd be whining that they screwed him by leaving him out. No matter what happens you are always on the same crap, and this is just..
You have a lot of good to say, but man the fanaticism is just...

Doc Austin
2nd November 2014, 22:56
No one can say that pottymouth Ted doesn't have a colorful vocabulary.

truefan72
2nd November 2014, 22:58
A good podium for Ricciardo, beating the Willys in a slower car. Perhaps Team Willy lost it by themselves though.

as always team williams lost it in the pits and poor race strategy

truefan72
2nd November 2014, 23:01
I like how all the sky pundits are now singing a different song. they all predicted rosberg to win.
now hill and blundell are talking like they knew hamilton was going to win.

Its all good. It was a clean race, the only shame for today was the missing teams

steveaki13
2nd November 2014, 23:01
Amazing. Hamilton 10 wins now to Rosberg's 4 and still the title is close. Thats a weird thing to consider, considering Hamilton only has 3 v 2 retirements.

jens
2nd November 2014, 23:11
Amazing. Hamilton 10 wins now to Rosberg's 4 and still the title is close. Thats a weird thing to consider, considering Hamilton only has 3 v 2 retirements.

Also it is worth considering that second place is worth 72% of winner's points. So it is not that bad - or like the previous system, where second place was worth 80%. Though it is not quite 60% (10-6) or 66 2/3 (9-6) either, somewhere inbetween.

Simply shows that if you can finish second absolutely consistently, you can hang within striking distance of the leader. The issue is that this season is odd. Because Mercedes dominates so badly. That's why Rosberg can be second all the time. In most seasons however the competition is more diverse and if you have a significant amount of wins, you usually pull out a big gap, because your rival is unlikely to finish right behind you all the time. Although Räikkönen with only a single win took it down to the wire in 2003, when Schumacher won 6 races.

jens
2nd November 2014, 23:12
I also remember WRC 2008. Loeb won how many rallies? I lost count, it must have been over 10. Hirvonen won just 2 or 3. But the Finn almost took it down to the wire by consistently finishing on the podium and capitalizing on an odd Loeb retirement.

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2014, 23:26
No. Because if he was left out and passed by anyone, you'd be whining that they screwed him by leaving him out. No matter what happens you are always on the same crap, and this is just..
You have a lot of good to say, but man the fanaticism is just...

I mainly react to what was a constant throughout the season and that was RB trying extreme strategies on him and it rarely worked out.

The Black Knight
3rd November 2014, 00:08
Awesome awesome race.

Absolutely great driving by both Mercedes drivers but yet again the better driver won. Two second places is all that is needed now for Hammy to win the WDC.

Great racing throughout the pack. I love the US Grand Prix - has given us great races out front two out of three years. Pity all new circuits aren't like Austin!

airshifter
3rd November 2014, 02:46
As usual for the USGP some good racing through the field. I really like that drivers can make so many areas passing zones, as it livens things up quite a bit.

Good drives by all up front. Shame that Williams don't get their strategy and pit stops down a little better, but at least they have a car to fight with. Mercedes seemed to not have all that much pace in hand until near the end, then showed their hand some when Rosberg was chasing Lewis.

Some good wheel to wheel battles between Alonso and Button, as well as a couple of others. It made up for a few stupid punts such as the move by Checo.

I'm starting to think Sebastian is much like Lewis, and his head gets in the way of a good drive sometimes. Whining about the car while coming from the back of the pack to 7th does no good at all, other than to show how easy some are defeated when everything doesn't go their way. Just shut up and drive!

IIRC I think two or three drivers beat the old lap record.

Duncan
3rd November 2014, 06:26

Interesting to note that even if Hamilton wins at Interlagos and Rosberg has a DNF at that race, the points gap would still be exactly one point shy of making Hamilton the world champ because of the double points at Abu Dhabi.

Anyway, whatever. A great race, and particularly for me personally since it was the first time I actually got to see a race at the track. I've been an F1 fan my entire life (literally - from the youngest age I used to sit in front of the TV with my dad at weekends and watch F1) but I've never made it to a race until this weekend. Definitely puts a whole new perspective on everything.

Lewis really never looked troubled at all. Even when he was behind Rosberg I just got the sense that he was only waiting for the right moment to make his move. Once he did, he immediately pulled out a gap - there was a meaningful gap even as they went round turn 15 after making the pass at turn 12 - and then looked like he was managing a gap of about 2 - 2.5 seconds and pretty much just winding down the laps to the end of the race. Nico's morale must be a little destroyed at this point, and I kind of think that's intentional on Lewis' part.

Apart from that, I noticed again that both of the Lotus's had brightly glowing brake discs as they came into turn 12, consistently. Almost nobody else did, and certainly not consistently. I was half expecting to see one of them go straight on into the turn 12 gravel trap in a cloud of black dust. Anybody know what that's about?

Tazio
3rd November 2014, 06:57
Dunc' I haven't read anything specifically about the subject of Lotus' glowing brakes, but I would hazard a guess that it could be something like trying to reduce drag by using smaller brake ducts to lessen their straight line speed deficit.

journeyman racer
3rd November 2014, 15:11
Race starts 7am here. I was watching it. I see Rosberg is leading Hamilton by 1+ secs. Coverage goes to a commercial break. I switch over to see the nfl. It has the last couple of minutes of the Vikings/Redskins game. I watch the end of that. Switch it back over. I see the Hamilton is now leading by 1+secs, and that how it is for the rest of the race. I'm left miffed.

journeyman racer
3rd November 2014, 15:21
I note that the points standings could lead to a situation where Rosberg could dnf in Brazil and Hamilton could win, then the reverse could happen in AD, which would mean Rosbrg picks up the title by one point! Us neutrals know that Hamilton has done more to earn the title, relative to Rosberg. But we know that hardened Hamilton fans deserve the situation I stated to happen :p

Is it too good to be true? I don't know. You know what would be particularly funny? If Rosberg makes a blatant howler of a driving error that costs him points in Brazil, to then go on and win in AD, while Hamilton retires form the lead in AD! :p

Come on Racing Gods! Make it happen!

Duncan
3rd November 2014, 16:17
I note that the points standings could lead to a situation where Rosberg could dnf in Brazil and Hamilton could win, then the reverse could happen in AD, which would mean Rosbrg picks up the title by one point! Us neutrals know that Hamilton has done more to earn the title, relative to Rosberg. But we know that hardened Hamilton fans deserve the situation I stated to happen :p

Is it too good to be true? I don't know. You know what would be particularly funny? If Rosberg makes a blatant howler of a driving error that costs him points in Brazil, to then go on and win in AD, while Hamilton retires form the lead in AD! :p

Come on Racing Gods! Make it happen!

Yes, this was what I was suggesting earlier. More to the point, there is no result in Brazil that makes Hamilton safe in the event of his having a DNF at Abu Dhabi. If he were to retire, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that Nico would go on to win assuming he didn't also have a retirement. That would hand Nico the title irrespective of what happens next week.

[Edit] But no, I'm not suggesting that would be a good thing. It would turn the season into a farce...

Storm
3rd November 2014, 19:29
Interesting to note that even if Hamilton wins at Interlagos and Rosberg has a DNF at that race, the points gap would still be exactly one point shy of making Hamilton the world champ because of the double points at Abu Dhabi.

Anyway, whatever. A great race, and particularly for me personally since it was the first time I actually got to see a race at the track. I've been an F1 fan my entire life (literally - from the youngest age I used to sit in front of the TV with my dad at weekends and watch F1) but I've never made it to a race until this weekend. Definitely puts a whole new perspective on everything.

Just goes to show how silly the double point thing is :(

As for getting to your 1st race, congrats! I have been meaning to go ever since I started earning money - more than a decade and still haven't managed to inspite of having had a GP in my country. I don't know when I will watch a race live though I hope it is in the next 5 years or so.

rjbetty
3rd November 2014, 21:57
...There is no result in Brazil that makes Hamilton safe in the event of his having a DNF at Abu Dhabi. If he were to retire, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that Nico would go on to win assuming he didn't also have a retirement. That would hand Nico the title irrespective of what happens next week.

I hear Hamilton's getting a new engine?

Have a feeling ironically this could blow up whereas keeping the old one would probably have lasted! Like Barrichello in Brazil 2002, the team forcing him to keep the 2001 model in the name of reliability while Schumacher got a new one. Then Barrichello retired anyway.

Duncan
4th November 2014, 09:28
Just goes to show how silly the double point thing is :(

Yes, it does. I understand the whole thing of making the last race not a lame duck, but it also means that a DNF turns into an effective double-DNF and greatly increases the chance of the championship being decided on a freak mechanical malfunction. Really hoping that doesn't happen.

As for getting to your 1st race, congrats! I have been meaning to go ever since I started earning money - more than a decade and still haven't managed to inspite of having had a GP in my country. I don't know when I will watch a race live though I hope it is in the next 5 years or so.

Thanks! And you should definitely make the trip to a race. It's a blast, and really gives you a whole new perspective on both the race and the track (whichever track it happens to be). Although I've never been to a race before, I did make it to a pre-season test at Barcelona a couple of years back, and that was great too, but nothing like watching a race. Watching the cars fighting for position is much crazier when you see it for real.

Also, one big surprise for me was that I find you don't look at the track in quite the same way again after you've been there; from the TV the track is much more a disjointed set of corners and you don't get a sense of how everything fits together. Austin has much more elevation changes than is apparent from TV. It's more than just the turn 1 hill; there's a significant climb through the esses and then a big drop as you go down to turn 11. Definitely worth taking the time to walk around the whole of the track while one of the practice sessions is going on. Barcelona likewise - big elevation changes and the whole thing is incredibly compact because of the way it's folded in on itself.

Duncan
4th November 2014, 09:31
I hear Hamilton's getting a new engine?

Have a feeling ironically this could blow up whereas keeping the old one would probably have lasted! Like Barrichello in Brazil 2002, the team forcing him to keep the 2001 model in the name of reliability while Schumacher got a new one. Then Barrichello retired anyway.

I was wondering about that. Specifically, whether a whole bunch of drivers might opt to take a new engine in Brazil just to make sure that they're not having to worry about unexpectedly finding they have to start from the pit lane in Abu-Double...