PDA

View Full Version : Bourdais to test for Toro Rosso

ArrowsFA1
11th December 2006, 14:44
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55984

He's unlikely to test just for the fun of it, but would he really leave NHR for Toro Rosso :confused:

Donney
11th December 2006, 15:10
I don't know he's on top of his game and switching to Toro Rosso does not seem to be a brilliant idea. I guess it will depend on how much of a challenge it means to him.

Henry Cutts
11th December 2006, 15:50
It would be a step down for him, but he wants to race in F1, and IF he is offered a race seat he might take it.

Giuseppe F1
11th December 2006, 16:06
I just came rushing here after seeing the news and you guys all beat me too it! :)

Does seem odd:

1) Because SB has always maintained he would only go to F1 with a top team which STR arent at the moment

2) Red Bull have a whole posse of their Red Bull Junior Team drivers to keep Toro Rosso going forever more - although they did 'step out of the family' with signing Webber so who knows

3) Just seems odd? Alot of Sebs talks were with BMW last year, indeed there are many images of his in chat with Mario Thiessen around the net from this season gone and Bourdais has always been adament that he would only test for a team for a year if he could be GUARANTEED a race drive for the seson after - this was the sticking point at BMW Sauber as with Kubica on top form and Vettel likely to be promoted to the race team in 2008, well, 3 into 2 doesnt go.

This could just be Toro Rosso giving him a run out to assess him and well, if he proves MEGA fast, they stand in the best position to sign him on any long term deal.

Interesting off-season developments with Bourdais (ChampCar) and Andretti (IndyCar) nabbing F1 tests.

I watch on with much anticipation!

Giuseppe F1

eloyf1
11th December 2006, 18:09
Unhopely, it's just impossible to see Bourdais running in F1...

nigelred5
11th December 2006, 18:35
I don't think either of those tests are anything more than a "thank you". Marco's Daddy has spent enough of Honda's money for them to get Him a drive, and remember, Champcar, via Gerry Forsythe has a Red Bull connection now. I'd be suprized to learn there isn't some tie there for Seb being the season champ.

PSfan
11th December 2006, 18:56
I don't think either of those tests are anything more than a "thank you". Marco's Daddy has spent enough of Honda's money for them to get Him a drive, and remember, Champcar, via Gerry Forsythe has a Red Bull connection now. I'd be suprized to learn there isn't some tie there for Seb being the season champ.

That's pretty sneaky on Forsythe's part, ship off your competition to F1 so Paul Tracy can win another championship...

Actaully, with Champcar's connection to Cosworth, if this was the case, Bourdais would have tested an F1 car already...

Could it be that Red Bull have realised something I've been thinking about the last couple weeks? That they could get Bourdais in a Renault powered car soon enough and without having Briatore in the mix? Sure he'll have to wait a year as both seats are filled at Big Red...

Bezza
11th December 2006, 19:56
Depends on whether he wants to risk being another of the failed drivers from America to prove himself in F1. He won't be remembered for very long in Europe if he just stays in Champ Cars, whatever he does.

Toro Rosso are hard to judge, personally I can't see them being any good, but it could be Bourdais' only chance, and in my opinion - a crap drive in F1 is better than a good one in Champ Cars. Everyone has to prove themselves in F1, he could not surely be expecting to get a top-line drive straightaway?! Michael Andretti, Alex Zanardi...

Knocker69
11th December 2006, 22:27
I believe Nicolas Todt is Bourdais' manager. Jean Todt is Nic's father. Toro Rosso have now Ferrari engines. Maybe that is the connection?

msaxman
12th December 2006, 04:17
Depends on whether he wants to risk being another of the failed drivers from America to prove himself in F1. He won't be remembered for very long in Europe if he just stays in Champ Cars, whatever he does.

Toro Rosso are hard to judge, personally I can't see them being any good, but it could be Bourdais' only chance, and in my opinion - a crap drive in F1 is better than a good one in Champ Cars. Everyone has to prove themselves in F1, he could not surely be expecting to get a top-line drive straightaway?! Michael Andretti, Alex Zanardi...

he's french.

i'd love to see him in F1, but i don't think it will happen, unless he is a little less strict about the situation he desires (testing for only a year, only top team).

Rusty Spanner
12th December 2006, 09:15
Even if there is some connection via sponsor/engine/manager to STR it doesn't really matter. Bourdais has proven himself good enough and has earned his shot at F1.

As for not wanting to join excet for a top team. Well I think you could make the argument that while STR isn't a top team (although if the get the chassis they want next year it will be a big step forward) there would be a clearly defined path into a potential top team at Red Bull.

jens
12th December 2006, 10:21
It would be interesting to see Bourdais racing in F1, but on the other hand it will be sad to see Liuzzi or Speed leaving F1.

And even as STR isn't a top team, then Sebastien should try to join the team. I think it is better to drive in F1 in whichever team than to drive in Champ Car "forever" - to win there like 10 titles in a row would be quite boring or what? Everyone needs changes.

12th December 2006, 13:08
It would appear that Bourdais has had to accept that ChampCar titles don't mean squat to the big teams in F1. A team like Torro Rosso are his best bet at getting a seat.

But putting aside Sebastian's driving ability, in terms of marketing (of which Red Bull seem quite adept) what would be the point of running a Frenchman?

Red Bull cannot be sold in France.

That's not to say that it's a bad idea, just that Bourdais testing for Torro Rosso was, therefore, a Gerhard Berger idea and not a Matseschitz one.

trumperZ06
12th December 2006, 16:11
It would appear that Bourdais has had to accept that ChampCar titles don't mean squat to the big teams in F1. A team like Torro Rosso are his best bet at getting a seat.

But putting aside Sebastian's driving ability, in terms of marketing (of which Red Bull seem quite adept) what would be the point of running a Frenchman?

Red Bull cannot be sold in France.

That's not to say that it's a bad idea, just that Bourdais testing for Torro Rosso was, therefore, a Gerhard Berger idea and not a Matseschitz one.

;) IMO... Se-Bas has become very well known here in the States, and it's likely he would be followed as an adopted driver by U.S. fans, if he were to go to F-1.

I think he has shown the talent to do well in Formula 1... problem is, for a rookie driver, Sebastian is... "long in the tooth".

:D It would be good marketing on Red Bull's part, if they were to put him in an F-1 seat. Also it pays a LOT better than Champ Car.

:s mokin:

samuratt
12th December 2006, 16:37
A test at STR means that if he perfomrs really good, as we all expect, he could be driving the car next year (and liuzzi could get a seat at Champcar), and have a shot at the Red bull by 2008, when DC will be sacked, if he makes a decent seasson.

That is the only logical explanation to me.

jso1985
12th December 2006, 20:39
I read somewhere that whatever the outcome of the test, Bourdais will be in Champ Cars next season.
Now he might be in Red Bull's plans fro 2008 or he's willing to impress other teams now and open his 2008 options

Buzz Lightyear
13th December 2006, 00:56
i feel this is more the reason... Redbull have an inside line that its product will be allowed, eventually, to be sold in France.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eyazerty%2enet%2fpost%2f2006%2 f11%2f28%2fAcheter%2ddu%2dRed%2dBull%2den%2dFrance

Roamy
13th December 2006, 01:17

wrong - Marco is making his own way and Honda are smart enough to have a look. Has nothing to with Daddy except a nudge. Honda is alive and well here and they would make this decision independent. Almendinger would have certainly got a test as well but chose to flip off F1 for Nascar.

ClarkFan
18th December 2006, 02:25
wrong - Marco is making his own way and Honda are smart enough to have a look. Has nothing to with Daddy except a nudge. Honda is alive and well here and they would make this decision independent. Almendinger would have certainly got a test as well but chose to flip off F1 for Nascar.

Marco's name probably has just a little to do with that test - way more marketing play in the US in having some named Andretti driving your car than Dan Wheldon. I doubt any $ made their way to Honda, other than free promotion.

Regarding Bourdais, if he really wants to get into F1, a seat with a team like STR is going to be his best shot. He has 0 chance of getting into the very top teams - a combination of current age and getting crosswise of Briatore a few years ago. If he doesn't want to start with a second-tier team, he doesn't really want to get into F1 anymore.

ClarkFan

ZzZzZz
18th December 2006, 03:11
Well, he beat Luizzi's and Speed's team-car speeds. Probably shouldn't be a surprise.

RaikkonenRules
18th December 2006, 21:59
I think it's great that Bourdais is finnaly given a chance to drive in F1 as we will finally find out just how good he is compared to the stars of F1. Would certainly make Champcar a little less predictable without him. :D

wmcot
19th December 2006, 08:05
He could be just exploring all his options. STR would probably be a good stepping off point like Minardi and Jordan used to be (M. Schumacher, F. Alonso, M. Webber, etc.) If he has the talent, he will be in a better team quickly and ther could be mega money for him. If I was Bourdais, I'd give it a try!

Ranger
19th December 2006, 08:39
I could compare Bourdais to Australian cricketer Mike Hussey.

Hussey was kept waiting for many many years despite his obvious talent and only made it into the national squad at age 30, making him one of the oldest players on the team at that point.

He has become the best batter on the team and is the only one that looks like being able to average 100. His ODI strike rate is near 100, the highest of any Australian batsman ever.

Now Bourdais can achieve something like this if he goes for the slightest window of an opportunity here.

Yes, Toro Rosso only scored 1 point this year.

But IMO the only thing that could stop Bourdais reaching the front of the grid in F1 is his motivation to do so. Hence I expect him to do well, as he must be itching to get away from CCWS where he has absolutely nothing more to prove.

agwiii
19th December 2006, 15:58
It's a nice little fishing trip for both STR and SB. Nothing like stirring the pot during the winter doldrums.

ArrowsFA1
20th December 2006, 12:00
Looks like Bourdais might be heading for F1 in 2008

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56072

Ranger
20th December 2006, 13:44
Champcar will be the poorer without him, but F1 would have a great talent on board.

I hope this eventuates.

PSfan
20th December 2006, 22:57
Looks like Bourdais might be heading for F1 in 2008

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56072

Yeehaw!!! the 2008 silly season is underway, and Toro Rosso still haven't confirmed their 2007 line-up!!!

Mikeall
21st December 2006, 03:03
Liuzzi and Speed are both Red Bull drivers who only own half the team. I think Berger feels he needs his driver filling one of the seats. If Bourdais is his choice as his driver then it is a serious pick as he is by far the most respected driver in single seaters outside F1.

agwiii
22nd December 2006, 01:02
What a great Christmas present for -- Speed and Liuzzi. Good work RB.

jarrambide
22nd December 2006, 01:11
What has R. Barichello to do with this? :D ;)

agwiii
22nd December 2006, 21:22
What has R. Barichello to do with this? :D ;)

Scuderia Toro Rosso is owned by a company named "Red Bull." Red Bull also owns another F1 team, called ... drum roll please ... Red Bull. Red Bull is abbreviated as "RB". Who is R. Barichello?

agwiii
22nd December 2006, 21:24
Yeehaw!!! the 2008 silly season is underway, and Toro Rosso still haven't confirmed their 2007 line-up!!!

:up:

jarrambide
22nd December 2006, 21:33
Scuderia Toro Rosso is owned by a company named "Red Bull." Red Bull also owns another F1 team, called ... drum roll please ... Red Bull. Red Bull is abbreviated as "RB". Who is R. Barichello?
Youīre from the US right?, Not getting a joke and assuming everyone else is clueless gave you away :D ;)

Your who is R. Barrichello question is also a joke right?, You have heard of Rubens Barrichello right? , The guy who used to drive with Schumy? , He moved to Honda, used to drive for Stewart Grand Prix and Jordan, the guy from Brazil, Rubinho, anything ring a bell?

Donīt forget that Gerhard Berger also owns Toro Rosso, he is suppose to own 50% of the team and although Mateschitzīs company has also a 50% of the team Berger is suppose to have final saying on the team according to Dietrich Mateschitz.

Ranger
23rd December 2006, 00:13

It actually is a good present - Motivation!

agwiii
23rd December 2006, 00:22
Youīre from the US right?, Not getting a joke and assuming everyone else is clueless gave you away :D ;)

Your who is R. Barrichello question is also a joke right?, You have heard of Rubens Barrichello right? , The guy who used to drive with Schumy? , He moved to Honda, used to drive for Stewart Grand Prix and Jordan, the guy from Brazil, Rubinho, anything ring a bell?

Donīt forget that Gerhard Berger also owns Toro Rosso, he is suppose to own 50% of the team and although Mateschitzīs company has also a 50% of the team Berger is suppose to have final saying on the team according to Dietrich Mateschitz.

You rainbow coalition guys are all alike. Well, if you can't take a joke, then ...

Ranger
20th January 2007, 22:35
He's being handed the second test by Berger.

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1858241,00.html

zoostation
20th January 2007, 23:25
He's being handed the second test by Berger.

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1858241,00.html

cool

AJP
21st January 2007, 00:51
when will this happen?

Roamy
21st January 2007, 03:49
Now SB will be given yet another test. This clearly sums up Berger's interest in the frenchman. I also know that if SB wants to go Newman will make a deal. Newman is that kind of guy. So if SB can get his times down look for a change.

ratonmacias
21st January 2007, 04:48
newman is a smart man why keep somebody whose mind is somewhere else. i agree get a bunch of money for sebas and bring somebody who wants to be there.

just like sfw did with butthole.

SuperAguri
21st January 2007, 10:55
A very wise move in my opinion to have Bourdais in F1 (finally)

But what happened to Red Bull's Young Driver programme? Do they not get as look in anymore?

Roamy
21st January 2007, 16:24
I would like to see SB go to Toro and Marco go to Newman Haas

msaxman
21st January 2007, 16:32

you just shot yourself in the foot.

Roamy
21st January 2007, 19:26
what does RB have to do with this thread about SB ???

tin-top fan
21st January 2007, 20:41
does anyone know why on this page there is a vw logo on the bottom right corner? http://www.scuderiatororosso.com/?stay

ioan
22nd January 2007, 08:55
does anyone know why on this page there is a vw logo on the bottom right corner? http://www.scuderiatororosso.com/?stay

Because Red Bull and WV are partners in other racing competitions.

Quetch
22nd January 2007, 12:54
Because Red Bull and WV are partners in other racing competitions.

Red Bull partners Volkswagen in Dakar, Audi in DTM, Skoda in WRC and Seat in WTCC...

ClarkFan
25th January 2007, 02:28
I would like to see SB go to Toro and Marco go to Newman Haas

I'd rather see Marco go to GP2. Champ Car will probably be a walkover for NHR, as many of the other teams are dying for lack of sponsorship. In GP2, Marco would get the chance to rub wheels with other young hot shoes and find out if he has the real stuff.

ClarkFan

Roamy
25th January 2007, 06:06
I would go for that as well ClarkFan. The only reason I really like Champ Car is because of the top speed. I think that is the biggest problem for advancing