steveaki13
12th October 2014, 14:31
Votes in

donKey jote
12th October 2014, 14:34
me for watching it :dozey:

AndyL
12th October 2014, 14:36
Either Pirelli for going too conservative with the tyre choice, or every team other than Mercedes for building such slow cars.

Koz
12th October 2014, 14:43
Soopid Hamilton super donkey for not recognizing President Putin. Lol.

Rosberg for the lock up.
Stewards for the Grosjean decision.
Williams for pitting Massa on lap 1.

longisland
12th October 2014, 14:46
Rosberg. It might have been a totally different race had he not cocked up the 1st turn.
Asphalt runoff. Bring back the gravel. At least replace the tar mac with rumble strips!!

steveaki13
12th October 2014, 14:51
Rosberg. It might have been a totally different race had he not cocked up the 1st turn.
Asphalt runoff. Bring back the gravel. At least replace the tar mac with rumble strips!!

This

A FONDO
12th October 2014, 15:00
Rosberg.

steveaki13
12th October 2014, 15:17
A rare thing, but having voted Rosberg driver of the race for his comeback, I am also giving him a donkey mention

That second corner mistake was a bit dumb and ruined his race win chances.

Williams - What their idea was for Massa, I have no idea.

Russian Track

Putin & Bernie

Stewards for giving a penalty in the rare occasion someone attempted a pass.

Doc Austin
12th October 2014, 18:08
It was a pretty clean race and it's hard to nominate a donkey.

N. Jones
12th October 2014, 18:12
The overall setting of the race. Didn't Bernie once complain that some of the tracks in Europe didn't have enough grand stands for people to watch the race (aka - the old, glorious Hockenheim).

See what happens now? How many grand stands are there here. Two? Three?
Bahrain is the same.. there are like three grandstands, although in their case it should be easy to see the track from anywhere considering there is nothing to obstruct the view.

truefan72
12th October 2014, 20:34
A rare thing, but having voted Rosberg driver of the race for his comeback, I am also giving him a donkey mention

That second corner mistake was a bit dumb and ruined his race win chances.

Williams - What their idea was for Massa, I have no idea.

Russian Track

Putin & Bernie

Stewards for giving a penalty in the rare occasion someone attempted a pass.

Exactly!

anfield5
12th October 2014, 20:51
Herman Bloody Tilke for providing yet another inept, boring piece of tar-sealed crap for cars to circulate around

jens
12th October 2014, 23:59

I vote Rosberg for neither as he didn't do a good enough job to be the star of the overall race, nor did bad enough job to be a donkey, since he still finished second!

But Massa's performance certainly raised eyebrows. His strategy was far from ideal, but he could never get past Pérez and didn't even finish in the points in what was clearly a very good and fast Williams...

Then what about Toro Rosso setup, because it was too biased towards qualifying and they had no pace in the race.

airshifter
13th October 2014, 02:51
Felipe. How he manages to screw up so bad in that car on a regular basis is the secret of his lack of success.

yodasarmpit
13th October 2014, 11:48
Rosberg, driving the only car capable of challenging Lewis and to give it away before completing a single lap was disappointing - however nice recovery drive.

zako85
13th October 2014, 13:06
I rank the donkeys in this order:

1. Rosberg: the donkey of race. He gave it all up in the first turns of the first lap. The ridiculous thing about Rosberg going wide is how distracted he was when it happened. The on-board cameras show he was fiddling with car settings, keeping his hands off the wheel.. basically not taking the track seriously.

2. Vettel. While Vettel moved up relative to his start position, he still ended up behind Ricciardo. From the interviews, it's obvious that Vettel is tired of this season and just wants it to be over.

3. Kvyat. Baby Vettel he was not. Started 5th, ended 14th. Out of points and behind his teammate. Some people are right to start questioning why Kvyat is being promoted into the mother team.

zako85
13th October 2014, 13:21
The overall setting of the race. Didn't Bernie once complain that some of the tracks in Europe didn't have enough grand stands for people to watch the race (aka - the old, glorious Hockenheim).

You can argue about the race track, but what would that have to do with the grand stands? Personally it doesn't hurt me a bit, as I watch the race from 10s of thousands miles away on TV, that there may not be enough grandstands. Bernie probably complained about the grand stands in European GPs because he wants to be paid more (more people = more money, it's that simple). The Russian GP is probably sponsored by the Russian state or Putin's pocket oligarchs, so Bernie is probably being rewarded handsomely as is.

zako85
13th October 2014, 13:32
Let me share one significant observation. The biggest donkey of the race was probably the Pirelli tires. They were really hard. Some drivers could run the whole race without changing tires. Once the teams figured this out, they just told their drivers to drive to the end on whatever they have, with at most one stop. The first 1-2 opening laps decided the whole race. Rosberg run almost the whole race on the same set of tires while also charging through the field. That's boring. Of course, I don't advocate going back to the mockery of the autosport which was the first half of 2013 season, but Pirelli should have provided tires that make the team strategists think harder. I would have loved seeing a battle of cars that run mostly on soft tires vs those who run on harder longer lasting tires.

555-04Q2
13th October 2014, 13:50
Either Pirelli for going too conservative with the tyre choice, or every team other than Mercedes for building such slow cars.

To be fair, no-one knew what the tyres were going to do, including Pirelli :)

AndyL
13th October 2014, 15:36
To be fair, no-one knew what the tyres were going to do, including Pirelli :)

It was probably also a bit unfair of me to chastise all the other teams for not building a car as fast as Mercedes' :)

kfzmeister
13th October 2014, 16:02
Clearly Rosberg. To mention him as Driver of the race is nonsense. He pitted from P2 and was eventually gonna end up in the position anyway, so why driver of the race??

He did 52 laps on the harder compound? So what? Massa did 39 on the softer.

ROS=Donkey of the Year

steveaki13
13th October 2014, 17:20
The on-board cameras show he was fiddling with car settings, keeping his hands off the wheel.. basically not taking the track seriously.

This is an issue with these easy run off filled tracks, drivers need not worry about going off or paying full attention.

At Spa before the run off areas, you would not be fiddling with the steering wheel on lap 1. Maybe although they have lots of switches these cars are to easy to drive.

I mean teenagers are making it into F1 from 3rd tier motorsport, drivers make so few mistakes (while driving standards have improved, they can't be as perfect as it appears these days) and easy circuits that do not punish errors.

Leading to a sanitised F1 maybe?

schmenke
14th October 2014, 22:12
...See what happens now? How many grand stands are there here. Two? Three?
Bahrain is the same.. there are like three grandstands, ....

Even with only two or three grandstands, they're rarely full these days anyways :dozey:

N. Jones
14th October 2014, 22:39
I know....although they were pretty full in Japan!