PDA

View Full Version : Infractions System

Mark
11th December 2006, 14:19
(More stuff that needs to be sorted out so it can go into the FAQ Dave is preparing)

Bascially if you make an objectionable posting of some sort, a moderator can give you points, just the same as points on your driving licence, and just like a driving licence if you reach 12 points, you get a ban. Currently set at 10 days.

The same as in real life, points expire after a while.
I'll give you the current settings and I'd like to hear what others think of the numbers and any suggestions. On top of these moderators are of course free to ban someone outright or give any number of points they wish, so these are really guidelines:

Insulted other member(s), 3 points, expires: 2 months
Spammed Advertisments: new members - outright immediate ban
existing members - 3 points, expires: 2 months
Inappropriate Language: 2 points, expires: 2 months
Signature rule violation: 1 point, expires: 10 days.

EuroTroll
11th December 2006, 14:47

Do you get penalty points for swearing, if you let the filter do its job (e.g. ****)?

Mark
11th December 2006, 14:59
It depends, quite often the insult is obvious, even if the swear filter does take away the bad words.

Dave B
11th December 2006, 15:14
The penalty for existing members spamming would allow me to spam three times without getting banned. Maybe it should be harsher, after all we all know the rules.

Mark
11th December 2006, 15:15
Perhaps then 6 points for advertising? i.e. you get one warning.

Dave B
11th December 2006, 15:32
Sounds fair enough :up:

Who's going to keep track of all this? It sounds quite complex.

Mark
11th December 2006, 15:35
It actually makes things easier for all the moderators to keep track of it, because any actions taken through the system, either giving points or banning are posted so all the other mods can see it, so it gives a clearer picture of what's going on.

AndySpeed
11th December 2006, 15:50
I think that the system works well over at Ten-Tenths, who have had it running for a while now. I was even able to get myself some points over there... :\

Daniel
11th December 2006, 16:07
Mark banned me before :p Was wondering why for until I saw it was a test :laugh:

Captain VXR
11th December 2006, 16:11
So was I.
Do you get points for posting E-Bay links eg. on the BTCC Models thread if the sale is not yours and you are pointing someone in the right direction because they want one like the one linked to?

SuperAguri
11th December 2006, 16:44
It actually makes things easier for all the moderators to keep track of it, because any actions taken through the system, either giving points or banning are posted so all the other mods can see it, so it gives a clearer picture of what's going on.

Do we get to see what points we have?

martinbalmer
11th December 2006, 16:50
(More stuff that needs to be sorted out so it can go into the FAQ Dave is preparing)

I think that it needs to very clear what constitutes an offence. As mentioned, certainly in Touring Cars, links appear to EBay items. These tend not to be posted by the seller but if there were a lot of them, each in new threads, it would be as bad as spam (maybe there should be a single thread for this if people want it).

In terms of offending another member. I feel that if someone were to post a personal attack or insult to someone else in response to being publicly attacked or insulted themselves then both members should receive penalty.

That is, being abusive should rightly be punished without exception. As being provoked is no excuse. There is a Report Post function let us not forget, and Private Messages to iron out personal differences.

On another note. A couple of years ago, within a Touring Cars sub-forum, it became apparent that an individual was creating new accounts (and virtual friends) to back them up and support their troll-like behaviour.

It is one thing creating accounts for light-hearted jokes, say, but doing so purely to strengthen ones self in petty forum battle, or to bully other members should be punished harshly (as I think it was at the time).

I'm sure that the example I used isn't the only time it has occurred. Maybe be nice to have some sort of published forum rule about it (in the FAQ Dave.. :p : )

Lastly, I don't like to see **** appearing all over posts. It isn't necessary to swear in order to communicate your feelings about something.

So, maybe even when censored, a member should be expecting penalty points for inappropriate language. Attempting to avoid censorship should be worth extra penalty points too.

Daniel
11th December 2006, 16:53
Yes. This is what it looks like :)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Photos/Points.jpg

Daniel
11th December 2006, 16:54
I think that it needs to very clear what constitutes an offence. As mentioned, certainly in Touring Cars, links appear to EBay items. These tend not to be posted by the seller but if there were a lot of them, each in new threads, it would be as bad as spam (maybe there should be a single thread for this if people want it).

In terms of offending another member. I feel that if someone were to post a personal attack or insult to someone else in response to being publicly attacked or insulted themselves then both members should receive penalty.

That is, being abusive should rightly be punished without exception. As being provoked is no excuse. There is a Report Post function let us not forget, and Private Messages to iron out personal differences.

On another note. A couple of years ago, within a Touring Cars sub-forum, it became apparent that an individual was creating new accounts (and virtual friends) to back them up and support their troll-like behaviour.

It is one thing creating accounts for light-hearted jokes, say, but doing so purely to strengthen ones self in petty forum battle, or to bully other members should be punished harshly (as I think it was at the time).

I'm sure that the example I used isn't the only time it has occurred. Maybe be nice to have some sort of published forum rule about it (in the FAQ Dave.. :p : )

Lastly, I don't like to see **** appearing all over posts. It isn't necessary to swear in order to communicate your feelings about something.

So, maybe even when censored, a member should be expecting penalty points for inappropriate language. Attempting to avoid censorship should be worth extra penalty points too.

I think it's all to do with the way it's used.

If I was to say "I had a **** day today" I don't think that's too bad.

But for instance if I said "Martin you're a ****head and blah blah **** this **** that" then I think points are called for :up:

schmenke
11th December 2006, 17:13
Personally I find "*****..." just as disrespectful as the actual words.
There is no need for vulgar language, in any form, as this is supposed to be a family forum.

EuroTroll
11th December 2006, 17:53

But for instance if I said "Martin you're a ****head and blah blah **** this **** that" then I think points are called for :up:

Yes, exactly.

martinbalmer
11th December 2006, 18:34

No, in terms of bad language they are both the same.

In the first example, why can't it be "I've had a bad day today" (if it were bad), or something more descriptive like "sad day", "boring day", "long day" or "tiresome day" for example?

In the second, it is not so much the swearing but the abuse which would earn you penalty points. :)

I accept that some censored words may not really be considered that offensive by many people. And then I don't doubt some will say that my view here is being boring.

But I really don't see how using bad language is all that creative.

EuroTroll
11th December 2006, 18:45
I accept that some censored words may not really be considered that offensive by many people. And then I don't doubt some will say that my view here is being boring.

Your view here is being boring, my good master of the nitro! ;) There's little to be gained from simply blocking away a significant part of the English language. A part that can be used for producing witticism, sarcasm, comedy.

So I say, **** you! ;)

BeansBeansBeans
11th December 2006, 18:55
I'm not against swearing, as I do it myself, but as this place is a family forum, the rules should be respected. If you can't say "hit", then you shouldn't be able to say "h1t" either.

Note: Word truncated to protect the innocent

EuroTroll
11th December 2006, 19:07
I'm not against swearing, as I do it myself, but as this place is a family forum, the rules should be respected. If you can't say "hit", then you shouldn't be able to say "h1t" either.

Agree with that. Just a matter of bettering the filters a little though, isn't it?

BeansBeansBeans
11th December 2006, 19:12
Agree with that. Just a matter of bettering the filters a little though, isn't it?

Well, either that, or punishing the offending members. Send Oily round their house or something.

grassrootsracer
11th December 2006, 19:40
What is the signature rule?

schmenke
11th December 2006, 19:53
I believe your signature is limited to three lines.

martinbalmer
11th December 2006, 19:56
There's little to be gained from simply blocking away a significant part of the English language. A part that can be used for producing witticism, sarcasm, comedy.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here. :confused:

I wouldn't call offensive words 'a significant part of the English language'. We are, after all, taking about a select few words here. Okay, they are used a lot but none are necessary and really require little inteligence.

I feel sorry for anyone who cannot produce witticism, sarcasm or any form comedy without swearing.

So I say, **** you! ;)

I'm laughing so much it hurts... :p

This is exactly the point.

odykas
11th December 2006, 20:12
Post anti-Juve stuff: 10000 points & lifetime ban! http://www.thelab.gr/images/smilies/hehe.gif

EuroTroll
11th December 2006, 20:14
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here. :confused:

I wouldn't call offensive words 'a significant part of the English language'. We are, after all, taking about a select few words here. Okay, they are used a lot but none are necessary and really require little inteligence.

I feel sorry for anyone who cannot produce witticism, sarcasm or any form comedy without swearing.

I thank you for your pity, but is it really a good idea to rob the little of mind of their only chance to post something saucy? I mean, do you really want to only read stuff like "in my opinion, the said overtaking maneuver was not executed by the highest ethical standards", etc.? "I'm not at all pleased by the character of that particular driver", etc.? Is that really what you want? :confused:

Boobies. ;)

pino
11th December 2006, 22:07
Post anti-Juve stuff: 10000 points & lifetime ban! http://www.thelab.gr/images/smilies/hehe.gif

You're damn right but you've forgotten Galli :

Post anti-Galli stuff 100.000 points & 2 lifetimes ban :hmph: :p :

Daniel
11th December 2006, 22:09
No need for him to say it :p

It's unwritten forum law and is widely known :p

MrJan
11th December 2006, 22:13
I take it we get told when we get points. If not then it's a bit harsh because you might thuink that you aren't being punished for somethng and then just wind up banned one day.

Daniel
11th December 2006, 22:19
Yes. See above for the picture I posted. If you look in your control panel you will see points there :) Plus you will see a red or a yellow card next to your post which has caused offence :)

Pino. If you read this feel free to put a yellow card next to my post to demonstrate? :)

FrankenSchwinn
11th December 2006, 23:32
so, how do we know how many points we have?

FrankenSchwinn
11th December 2006, 23:33
and what about those reputation points? because there were members who signed on just to give me bad ones because i didnt agree with them.

Daniel
11th December 2006, 23:55
If you go to your user panel you can see how many points you have. Just look at the box where the rep comments are :)

Jag_Warrior
12th December 2006, 03:31
Boobies.

I second that! :look:

RaceFanStan
12th December 2006, 05:45
I don't feel that refraining from using profanity is that big an issue.
It should NOT cause anyone any hardship to speak without using profanity.

In the past we have seen personal attacks & name-calling occur much too often.
The rule is to attack the post, NOT the poster.
I look forward to a place where opinions can be shared without receiving personally degrading comments.

Mark
12th December 2006, 09:15
so, how do we know how many points we have?

Go to your user control panel and it will tell you if you have any points. If you don't have any points then there will be no mention.

J4MIE
12th December 2006, 17:07
I think this is a great idea to use this system :up:

Dave B
12th December 2006, 17:14
I've got 389 points. I guess I'm banned for the next 32 years :eek:

schmenke
12th December 2006, 17:41
I don't get it. What does this mean?

Daniel
13th December 2006, 00:15
Again I've been misleading :p

If you have points it will look something like this :) If you have a particular post that's considered offensive a yellow card will appear next to the quick reply button and you automatically get a PM from the mod telling you of the offense. :) As you can see Mark's been testing out the system on me. Which I guess is far seeing as though it'll be used mostly on me :p

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Photos/Points.jpg

schmenke
13th December 2006, 15:37
So you've received 100 pts for a particular post, but the total (upper-right) indicates zero... :?:

Ian McC
13th December 2006, 19:13
How many points for being drunk in charge of a post? :s mokin:

Daniel
13th December 2006, 20:07
So you've received 100 pts for a particular post, but the total (upper-right) indicates zero... :?:
Yes well Mark was just testing :) if it was for real the points would be in the upper right hand corner :)

agwiii
17th January 2007, 14:05
Bascially if you make an objectionable posting of some sort, a moderator can give you points, just the same as points on your driving licence, and just like a driving licence if you reach 12 points, you get a ban. Currently set at 10 days.

The same as in real life, points expire after a while. I'll give you the current settings and I'd like to hear what others think of the numbers and any suggestions. On top of these moderators are of course free to ban someone outright or give any number of points they wish, so these are really guidelines:

Interesting, yet some are highly subjective, e.g., what is an insult?

P.S. Where is Andrea?

Hazell B
18th January 2007, 00:25
So, in this case, points don't make prizes?
Shame, I wanted a new kettle :p :

Don't really know how the old system worked, but I like the idea of an open new system :up:

Daniel
18th January 2007, 00:28
Hazell. The coolest thing is that the mods can give you a yellow card or a red card depending on the seriousness of the offence. They can also choose to show the card next to the offending post for all to see. Looks really cool if they do it.

Any mod can feel free to give me a yellow card for this post just to show :D

agwiii
18th January 2007, 00:45

:( I was hoping for a new framustat.

Hazell B
18th January 2007, 00:49
Daniel's already proving it'll end up being an ASBO badge of honour :rolleyes:

:p :

Rollo
18th January 2007, 02:46

What do points mean? Prizes!
This week's prize is sure to delight every Gazelle enthusiast who hates his pets going astray - it’s this stamped self-addressed Antelope.

Daniel
18th January 2007, 08:37
Daniel's already proving it'll end up being an ASBO badge of honour :rolleyes:

:p :
:p

Be quiet! :p

viper_man
22nd January 2007, 17:52
How long do I have my yellow card for Mark?

It was a genuine mistake

Hazell B
22nd January 2007, 20:09
How long do I have my yellow card for Mark?

Mark posted a list at the start of the thread I think. Perhaps that can help you?

I'm a bit thick (no, really :p : ) as I scrolled down a thread earlier and thought everyone had yellow cards. It's the unread icon :rolleyes:

viper_man
22nd January 2007, 20:25
Just seen it, its ages!

donKey jote
22nd January 2007, 21:06
I'm a bit thick (no, really :p : ) as I scrolled down a thread earlier and thought everyone had yellow cards. It's the unread icon :rolleyes:
me too :laugh:

what a http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif :laugh:

Ian McC
22nd January 2007, 21:54
I am sure I've seen somewhere else that members get some sort of warning level that shows up on their posts.

Mark
23rd January 2007, 07:49
Yellow cards are just a warning, they don't carry any lasting effect.

Erki
23rd January 2007, 10:04
What card do I get if I headbutt Daniel?

PS: It would be good if you gave me an ace so I can ace my poker game...

Mark
23rd January 2007, 10:24
If you were to heatbutt Daniel then you wouldn't get anything, as it's not a forum issue. The police might take a different view :p

Storm
23rd January 2007, 13:15
you might even be considered for the some kind of 2006 MSF member of the year award if you really do it Erki ;)

Alfa Fan
23rd January 2007, 14:30
You'd get my vote!

Daniel
23rd January 2007, 14:35
What card do I get if I headbutt Daniel?

PS: It would be good if you gave me an ace so I can ace my poker game...
Ody would hate you ;)

race aficionado
23rd January 2007, 16:45

The same as in real life, points expire after a while.
I'll give you the current settings and I'd like to hear what others think of the numbers and any suggestions. On top of these moderators are of course free to ban someone outright or give any number of points they wish, so these are really guidelines:

man! . . . .
again a reason to confirm how much work a moderator has to do.

In this case, the expiration time of each type of infraction. I can just imagine keeping tabs on a particular member that is keeping a moderator very active with the points added but then you have to see how the expiration times of previous points given are being completed as you add more points . . . . he's almost banned but Doh! these points just expired! so he's still "alive" . . . but after a couple of these you might as well go - screw this! this one is outta here!
whew! Good luck! :D

and of course, after all of this rambling of mine - thanks for all you do.
:s mokin:

Captain VXR
14th February 2007, 18:00
I'll own up to having two infractions, no disrespect to the mods as they have to keep order here and do a great job :up: . I've learnt to avoid insults and condoning violence because of that.

donKey jote
14th February 2007, 19:41
It's been relatively quiet on the agwii front. Will he be back tomorrow?

race aficionado
14th February 2007, 21:45
Last thing I heard, agwiii voluntarily left the building.

donKey jote
14th February 2007, 23:30
what, like Knockie? :eek:

race aficionado
15th February 2007, 00:36
. . . Knockie will come back, he is a forum addict that is very, very deeply hooked to this place.

Right now he must be suffering from painful withdrawls . . . .

he will be back.

LotusElise
15th February 2007, 11:38
Hotbikerchic hasn't been seen for a couple of days either.

Daniel
15th February 2007, 12:13
Hopefully never gets seen again :cheese:

Coming on and continuously proclaiming that one of the forums favourite people is a "knob" is probably not the best way to make friends :laugh:

LotusElise
15th February 2007, 12:24
I'm surprised some of her more choice words got through the filter, actually.

Daniel
15th February 2007, 12:26
I'm surprised some of her more choice words got through the filter, actually.
Makes me wonder if she went out to a pub and called some 6ft talll guy who's built like a brick you know what a "knob" and ended up in intensive care.

Oh well!

Hazell B
15th February 2007, 12:58
I gave in trying to read her posts :p :

Who was she having a go at?

LotusElise
15th February 2007, 13:38
Oily, mainly.

Hazell B
15th February 2007, 13:49
Sorry, I meant to come back and say I'd found it and not to bother answering. My bad.

Her sort of English is the reason I posted about people not bothering with grammar. It's unreadable for the most part. I had no idea (or cares) what she was posting, so just stopped reading it all.

donKey jote
15th February 2007, 19:59
At one point I had a donkey theory that she was merely a sockpuppet of Oily's :dozey:

(you know, a bit like Caroline's account and Daniel lately :eek: :s hock: :p : )

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Brown, Jon Brow
15th February 2007, 21:14
I got an infection for some bad language :(

Hazell B
16th February 2007, 16:22
There's ointment available for infections ;)

oily oaf
23rd February 2007, 06:29
Hotbikerchic hasn't been seen for a couple of days either.

Tish! Tosh! and Folderol! Blossom!

I saw her only last evening when I took a small bowl of comforting Oatabix gruel to the shed and poured it gently into the Dame Tony Blair restraining box which has been her home for the past 9 days :)

She seems to have settled in to her new surroundings extremely well where she whiles away the hours screaming hysterically for her hormone replacement tablets and reading a copy of "My Very First Popup and Colouring Book Of The ABC" which I acquired for her at no small expense from The Reader's Digest For The Criminally Insane.

Having said that I have to report that rather sadly there was a bit of a kerfuffle around 1.00am this morning when I was disturbed from my slumbers by a loud banging, only to find upon investigation that her Internet Boyfriend had scaled my back fence and was attempting to free his erstwhile paramour by bludgeoning down the shed door with a tyre iron :)

How we all laughed and played as I built a small bonfire from HBC's varicose vein support stockings and Lardbuster panty girdles before burning him face down in the roaring inferno :monkee:

Ah my dear friends. Carefree, halcyon days indeed :)

LotusElise
23rd February 2007, 09:32
I had a suspicion that was what had happened!

Brown, Jon Brow
26th February 2007, 21:43
Why has Captain 1 vxr been banned? :\

Funks
26th February 2007, 21:50
Unless the reasons for banning a member are in the interest of all - we do not disclose or discuss it.

Dave B
27th February 2007, 11:55
Unless it's Daniel in which case we can all have a good laugh... :p

Alfa Fan
27th February 2007, 15:05
I wish I could still positivly rep you.

Daniel
27th February 2007, 19:38
Unless it's Daniel in which case we can all have a good laugh... :p
:laugh: Quite true ;)

Haven't been banned for a while. I feel a ban coming on though!

Hazell B
8th May 2007, 16:51
I'm not against swearing, as I do it myself, but as this place is a family forum, the rules should be respected.

After last night's little paddy involving a certain word, I had to drag this back out. Sorry, it just made me smile :p :

BeansBeansBeans
8th May 2007, 19:18
After last night's little paddy involving a certain word, I had to drag this back out. Sorry, it just made me smile :p :

Oh wonderful, I have my own internet stalker.

BDunnell
8th May 2007, 21:07
I think this proves that old-fashioned insults that get through the system are the way to go. 'Poltroon' and my favourite word, 'popinjay', for starters.

BeansBeansBeans
8th May 2007, 21:14
I think this proves that old-fashioned insults that get through the system are the way to go. 'Poltroon' and my favourite word, 'popinjay', for starters.

Aye, or Nincompoop, Potherb and Wally.

BDunnell
8th May 2007, 21:21
Aye, or Nincompoop, Potherb and Wally.

Potherb? How is that pronounced? Pot-herb or Poth-erb? And what does it mean? I've never heard it before.

The best ever insult I ever saw in a letter in my old job was from a gentleman who copied to us correspondence he'd sent to a bus operator, during which he described their general manager (to whom it was addressed) as: "You PHILISTINE! And pompous POPINJAY!"

RaceFanStan
9th May 2007, 03:45
Well, my yellow card finally expired & I am happy. :D

Valve Bounce
10th May 2007, 07:21
I think that the system works well over at Ten-Tenths, who have had it running for a while now. I was even able to get myself some points over there... :\

Me too :( for suggesting another forum member was using logic for his argument, but his premis was incorrect. Then when I tried to ask why I was banned, they could say for sure because they had erased my post.

Havn't been back there since.

Under the circumstances, Ithink that as long as mods apply the system in a fair way, and can explain to members why they were docked, it then would be a great system. But the "I can't remember for sure why you were docked because we have erased teh post" leaves the offending member feeling he has been treated unfairly.

ArrowsFA1
18th May 2007, 10:39
'Poltroon'
I haven't heard that word since listening to 'Hancock's Half Hour' a while ago :D :s mokin:

BDunnell
18th May 2007, 10:53
I haven't heard that word since listening to 'Hancock's Half Hour' a while ago :D :s mokin:

A teacher at junior school taught me it. It's stayed with me ever since!

schmenke
23rd May 2007, 15:31
Having received my first infraction I thought I'd better revisit this thread for a refresher on the workings of this system :mark:

janneppi
23rd May 2007, 21:54
Serves you right for having that kind of signature. :)

schmenke
23rd May 2007, 23:02
I support the Canadian team, not the Finnish one :p :

Garry Walker
10th June 2007, 17:02
Do you guys like give infractions for everything? even for an obvious joke?

pino
11th June 2007, 05:47

I don't think you were joking there, but I suggest you start using some smiles when/if you are joking...

RaceFanStan
11th June 2007, 12:43
It appears this is the place of the "easily offended" ..... :s

When in doubt, don't say it ..... or if you do say it, be prepared .....