PDA

View Full Version : Singapore preview - spotlight on Mercedes as Red Bull threaten

News
18th September 2014, 13:40
Theoretically, Singapore's Marina Bay Street Circuit will offer Red Bull the opportunity to take the fight to Mercedes. But that won't be the only source of pressure for the Silver Arrows: whatever happens, we can expect Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton to continue their intense battle for the 2014 drivers' crown - and in doing so light up the Singapore night.
"Singapore is a race that I'm sure the whole paddock looks forward to," says Paddy Lowe, Mercedes' executive director (technical). "It's a glamorous event with a fantastic atmosphere - standing on the starting grid under the thousands of spotlights feels much like being on stage, waiting for the theatre to begin.
"We were incredibly happy with the result in Monza - they were fantastic drives from both Lewis and Nico and it was a welcome return to winning ways. [Singapore] could not stand as more of a contrast to Monza, with a lot of low-speed corner content. It's also a long race - often running to the full two-hour limit and frequently characterised by safety cars.
"It's a tricky one to manage no matter what position you might be in, with fortune playing a part depending on the nature and timing of any issues which may arise. It's always an action-packed, incident-filled race, with the nature of the track and the heat playing a role in retirements - both mechanical and by human error. We'll be aiming to steer clear of any drama and come away with another strong result as the season enters its final third."
This will not be the first time Rosberg and Hamilton have duelled in Singapore - Rosberg held off Hamilton to secure second in the maiden edition of the race in 2008, when they were racing for Williams and McLaren respectively.
"Singapore is definitely one of the highlights of the year," Rosberg says. "There's an amazing atmosphere and the whole city really comes to life for the race weekend. It's just unreal - I would really recommend anybody to come here if they can as it's a fantastic experience.
"I got my second-ever podium here with P2 in 2008 and I generally enjoy street circuits, so I'm looking to go one better this time around."
Hamilton, however, might just have the psychological edge this weekend after his crucial victory in Italy, which moved him to within 22 points of Rosberg in the title hunt.
"This is a great place to begin the final flyaway phase of the season. The city is buzzing and the track is mega," the Briton says. "I love street circuits. I won here in 2009 which was a really special experience, plus I had a podium - which should really have been a win - at the first race in 2008. My luck hasn't been great at this circuit since then, but hopefully that will change this weekend."
Singapore is undoubtedly one of the toughest races on the calendar: high ambient temperatures and 23 corners - more than any other Grand Prix circuit - make for a punishing combination. Traction and braking on the bumpy surface are crucial, while drivers have to constantly be on the alert for street furniture like manhole covers and painted white lines, which can catch them out and send them into the walls.

This year, the field will also be racing on Pirelli's two fastest tyre compounds - the yellow-marked softs and the red-marked supersofts. That might at least help the track to

More... (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/9/16355.html)