PDA

View Full Version : Under the lights: adapting to Singapore's F1 night world

News
17th September 2014, 14:10
The challenges of Singapore's Marina Bay Street Circuit are well established, but there's far more complexity to the only Formula One night race than what happens out on track. In addition to coping with the humidity and duration of the Grand Prix, teams and drivers all operate on European time in order to master the logistical challenges, meaning the surreal routine of going to bed near dawn - and having breakfast in the afternoon...
"The unique thing is that there's no jetlag, because we literally live there on European time. I go to bed at 5.00am - just as the sun is coming up I am going to sleep - and then at 2.00pm that's my wake-up time, so I go down and have breakfast when other people are having lunch. That's very strange..."
As surreal as Nico Rosberg's schedule for Singapore may seem, the itinerary is actually typical of the Formula One fraternity. Dealing with the only night race on the calendar (as opposed to the twilight rounds in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi) means far more than simply adjusting to racing under lights.
Because of the scheduling of sessions, the paddock operates in a strange form of limbo, completely out of sync with the local area. Gone is the idea that only the most committed revellers will still be partying at 6.00am, or that eating breakfast in the afternoon is odd: in Singapore, such routines are actively encouraged by the teams.
"It's a different philosophy," Marussia's chief engineer Dave Greenwood explains. "It is a bit bizarre when we have breakfast for example, but everything is based around the normal offsets to sessions - if the session starts at 6.00pm local time, for example, we work backwards to plan when we wake, when we eat, when we start work.
"It sounds odd, but after a number of years of doing it, it does work - in fact it's actually harder to move off one time zone onto another than it is to stay on European time through the week in Singapore. Making sure the guys can remain on UK time is therefore a big priority - so aspects like the timing of when we arrive are important."
It's not just flights either: when Red Bull's crew landed on Monday, they did so with an open remit for the evening. A late night, likely to be cracked down on by bosses during any other race weekend, is actually an efficient way to stick to the European timeframe.
"I never thought as a team manager I would say to my guys stay out," Red Bull's Jonathan Wheatley reflects, "but because the flights come in in the evening, the guys get there and can have a big night if they like for their first night in Singapore. They don't actually have to go to bed until 6 or 7 o'clock in the morning.
"Personally, I don't get any jetlag at all. I thought that the light would have a big effect on your body clock, but as long as the curtains are dark enough in your hotel room you'll be fine."

As with any race weekend, starting on the right note is essential. That's why, according to Wheatley, the first night is key - although, should one wake early, the gym and swimming pool are of course already open and provide a welcome way to wile away the

More... (http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/9/16353.html)