PDA

View Full Version : Everyday racism

Brown, Jon Brow
5th September 2014, 22:51
How many of you interact with people saying blatantly racist things in everyday situations such as at work for instance?

I hate feeling like I can't question racist comments because I don't feel work is the right place to get involved in such a debate. As a nation we like to think we are quite progressive when it comes to issues like race but I get the impression that a scarily large number of people are racist, either secretly or openly when with other people of the same ethnicity.

And I'm not just taking about older people here. We seem to expect people who are over 60 to be slightly racist but I have stopped spending time with good friends from my school years because I'm offended/embarrassed by their racist opinions. Added to this is the fact that facebook these days seem to be a place where people can 'like' or 'share' articles/pages that are clearly racist.

I think I'm just too polite to get involved when I hear racism. The only situation where I feel I would actually have the balls to act would be if I was witnessing racism being verbally directed at an individual.

donKey jote
5th September 2014, 23:52
https://www.facebook.com/BritiainFurst/photos/pb.722772297798171.-2207520000.1409954066./786018924806841/?type=3&theater

BDunnell
6th September 2014, 01:58
You are right, though, thankfully, the friends with whom I interact never express such views. Outside that, I think casual racism, sexism and homophobia, often dressed up in that most ghastly and moronic phrase 'banter', is a worse problem than ever. People think they're being 'politically incorrect', or some such crap, when in fact they're being nothing more than boorish and intolerant.

Mark
6th September 2014, 09:42
A big part of the anti EU stance many have is not based on anything except "I don't like foreigners"

555-04Q2
6th September 2014, 14:56
Racism over here is a common daily occurrence. As long as there are 2 or more people of different ethnicity in the world there will be racism. Sad but true.

driveace
6th September 2014, 15:12
Even in motorsport too !
I think some people see other races getting away with certain things ,that they can't .Wearing a Burka in public is OK in the UK ,but in other countries,France etc it's banned .
We all need to see equality,and feel equality too .
I personally don't have a race problem,but then again my little market town has very few multi cultured residents

gadjo_dilo
6th September 2014, 16:01
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WGfb9WxrE
:eek:
So we're thieves, prostitutes, beggars.
After being sued the guy inserted a note in the video telling it's a parody. Is it?

http://www.evz.ro/image-original-605-388/2010-03/21bbf93d57a0da2639ec4da7b89beff6.jpg

:eek:

http://www.letras-canciones.info/El-Chivi_cancion_Me-cago-en-esos-putos-rumanos

Hijos de puta? :eek:
The song was quite catchy. I swear I listened it even in a Romanian mall.

Despite all above I have no problems with racism......

Roamy
6th September 2014, 17:47
Racism is common throughout the world and is going nowhere. Racism should be an accepted opinion and as long as one is doing no harm then let sleeping dogs lie. People thinking they can force away opinions by being "politically correct" are full of sh!t. If I know you are a racist then I can form an opinion. Lets quit faking all this crap. We should probably be worrying about ISIS instead being politically correct.

A FONDO
6th September 2014, 19:48
How many of you interact with people saying blatantly racist things in everyday situations such as at work for instance?

I hate feeling like I can't question racist comments because I don't feel work is the right place to get involved in such a debate. As a nation we like to think we are quite progressive when it comes to issues like race but I get the impression that a scarily large number of people are racist, either secretly or openly when with other people of the same ethnicity.

And I'm not just taking about older people here. We seem to expect people who are over 60 to be slightly racist but I have stopped spending time with good friends from my school years because I'm offended/embarrassed by their racist opinions. Added to this is the fact that facebook these days seem to be a place where people can 'like' or 'share' articles/pages that are clearly racist.

I think I'm just too polite to get involved when I hear racism. The only situation where I feel I would actually have the balls to act would be if I was witnessing racism being verbally directed at an individual.
So you like that your daughter will be *ed by pakis and arabs and you will happily kiss your grandkids?

Roamy
6th September 2014, 22:00
Amen Brother

Brown, Jon Brow
7th September 2014, 01:50
So you like that your daughter will be *ed by pakis and arabs and you will happily kiss your grandkids?

Pardon?

airshifter
7th September 2014, 03:46

I'd much prefer that over her being with a person of her same race that was racist. But I suspect that in your mind that idea is wrong. I wonder why?

Brown, Jon Brow
7th September 2014, 11:39
I'd much prefer that over her being with a person of her same race that was racist. But I suspect that in your mind that idea is wrong. I wonder why?

I thought I was being mocked. I didn't realise he was being serious.

steveaki13
7th September 2014, 13:37
I thought I was being mocked. I didn't realise he was being serious.

Don't think so sadly

donKey jote
7th September 2014, 13:45
Pathetic.
Sounds like something my English gran would have said, until her daughter married an Irishman of Spanish origins and left the Isles altogether :p
Northwest little England? :dozey:

Roamy
11th September 2014, 18:12
So how many Pakis, Somalis, Muslims, are you guys inviting over this weekend??

None for me - Maybe a few Amigos - Does that make me a racist or a isolationist?

Brown, Jon Brow
11th September 2014, 18:49
So how many Pakis, Somalis, Muslims, are you guys inviting over this weekend??

None for me - Maybe a few Amigos - Does that make me a racist or a isolationist?

None, I'm going to London to see my ginger girlfriend.