PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton off to McLaren ?

driveace
29th August 2014, 14:35
According to this mornings papers Rosberg has signed a 3 year deal .
Hamilton has not signed,and Mercedes are waiting until nearer the end of the season to decide .
Is this bullshi* OR do we expect to see Hamilton next year in a McLaren Honda with Fernando as a team mate again ?
AND do we expect Rosberg to be given preference at Italy ,OR on team orders NOT to challenge Hamilton IF he is leading until the final; 5 laps ?

The Black Knight
29th August 2014, 14:42
I think that Hamilton would be taking a step backwards in his career were he to be anywhere else other than Mercedes next year. As for McLaren they might manage to lure Vettel or Alonso sometime in the next couple of seasons but realistically I can’t see any major upheavals until the end of next year with Hamilton’s contract running until 2015. Given Nico the Cheats behaviour in recent time and that he is not as good a driver as Hamilton anyway, I’m not sure why Mercedes would choose him over Hamilton. Sure, he’s German, but he’s just not on the same level. Hamilton can win you a race in a car that is not top of the line. Nico the Cheat has never really done that. To me, Nico the Cheat would be more trouble than he’s worth and if they are to avoid intra-team conflict, it is clear now that they will need to bring a driver in as a number two or else settle for someone that Nico the Cheat will be beating all the time. Why would they want to do this?

I don’t know, I’d rather Hamilton over Nico the Cheat any day of the week.

I think things will largely stay as they are for next year.

journeyman racer
29th August 2014, 15:44
Hamilton can win you a race in a car that is not top of the line. Nico the Cheat has never really done that.
2012 Chinese, 2013 Monaco & British GP. Thanks for playing.

I don’t know, I’d rather Hamilton over Nico the Cheat any day of the week.
You don't say?

N4D13
29th August 2014, 15:46
I'm sorry to disagree with you, Knight, but you're putting Rosberg as the source of intra-team issues. Hamilton's history would imply that it's the opposite. Lewis is a faster driver, all right, but he seems to have a weaker mind than some of his rivals and has a tendency to run away from his team and spill the beans for the press.

Regarding the Hamilton-to-Macca rumours, I'm betting that they're BS. The situation in Mercedes is nowhere near as bad as McLaren in 2007 and there's no way that Lewis is going to give up on a championship-winning car for a dog.

SGWilko
29th August 2014, 15:54

You don't say?

2013 British GP was decided by a tyre failure, not by superior driving!

The Black Knight
29th August 2014, 15:58

You don't say?

The 2012 Chinese GP where both Mercedes got pole? They had the best car that weekend.

I remember Lewis had some issues in the 2013 Monaco GP weekend but I can't remember what. I know it didn't stand out to me as a superb drive from Nico by any means. Continue playing please...

Silverstone 2013 was decided because of Lewis tire failure - Lewis would have won that otherwise.

journeyman racer
29th August 2014, 16:13
2013 British GP was decided by a tyre failure, not by superior driving!
So what you're saying is, Vettel would've won the 2011 Abu Dhabi GP instead of Hamilton? I agree.

The 2012 Chinese GP where both Mercedes got pole? They had the best car that weekend.
You were saying Rosberg couldn't win in a car that wasn't top of the line. Well, he's done so on three occasions. What an extraordinary performance from Rosberg. The other drivers in Mercedes powered cars were terrible.

I remember Lewis had some issues in the 2013 Monaco GP weekend but I can't remember what. I know it didn't stand out to me as a superb drive from Nico by any means.
I'm sure you'll think of something.

Silverstone 2013 was decided because of Lewis tire failure - Lewis would have won that otherwise.
Refer to my response to SGWilko. 12 months later, Rosberg so far is in the only driver to be taken out of a race while clearly leading, as a result of a mechanical problem.

RS
29th August 2014, 16:45
Autosport reporting that McLaren are looking at Alonso and Vettel to lead the team into the Honda era, and are willing to wait for them.

Not sure either are what they need tbh. Vettel doesn't seem to be getting on with the new cars and Alonso, good as he is, will be ancient by the time his Ferrari contract finishes.

donKey jote
29th August 2014, 16:50
Nico the Cheats German Nico the Cheat Nico the Cheat
Nico the Cheat Nico the Cheat
do get over it, you're really becoming somewhat tiresome :dozey:

MrJan
29th August 2014, 18:57
do get over it, you're really becoming somewhat tiresome :dozey:

Concur wholeheartedly. I don't particularly rate Nico as a driver, but playground insults really are pointless IMO.

Can't see Lewis going to McLaren to partner Alonso, not because of his history with Fernando (I think that Lewis has matured, ever so slightly, since the first time round) but because McLaren aren't at the races and haven't been for some time now. Far more likely that he'd end up at RBR.

steveaki13
29th August 2014, 20:47
I would think that would be a mistake.

Mclaren Honda is an interesting aspect to 2015. I mean Mclaren Honda produces images in our minds of something special.

It could be an epic partnership or a flop. The driver who moves there has a massive gamble to make, but could also get massive pay back.

Who is willing to make that gamble.

Doc Austin
29th August 2014, 21:31
Honda will get it right because they almost always do. It just won't be in the first year. Doesn't Hamilton have another year left on his Mercedes deal? The smart move would be to stay there and give Honda and McLaren time to sort things out.

Mark
29th August 2014, 21:57
Honda will get it right because they almost always do. It just won't be in the first year. Doesn't Hamilton have another year left on his Mercedes deal? The smart move would be to stay there and give Honda and McLaren time to sort things out.

Yeah cos when they had their own team with their own engine they swept all before them ;)

steveaki13
29th August 2014, 22:45
Yeah cos when they had their own team with their own engine they swept all before them ;)

Well they done brilliantly. They knew if they pulled out of F1 and gave up on it, the team would win the title

truefan72
29th August 2014, 22:51

lol

well said

and honda suffered from an over management problem
hm, where do I see this problem occurring?

truefan72
29th August 2014, 22:53
Well they done brilliantly. They knew if they pulled out of F1 and gave up on it, the team would win the title

touche!

if honda had stuck around for 2009, they would have won the WDC and WCC and probably stayed in F1 a few more years
But i think their best role in F1 is in a strong partnership with a team. let them worry about the engine, etc, and the good team the chassis,etc
that to honda has always been a winning combination

steveaki13
29th August 2014, 22:58
You're right truefan

No one can argue with Honda as a engine manufacturer, those years with Mclaren in the 80s & 90s were legendary. It would be nice to see something similar happen again.

Doc Austin
30th August 2014, 01:02

They probably would have considering the team became Brawn the next year.

Rollo
30th August 2014, 01:57
According to this mornings papers Rosberg has signed a 3 year deal .
Hamilton has not signed,and Mercedes are waiting until nearer the end of the season to decide .
Is this bullshi* OR do we expect to see Hamilton next year in a McLaren Honda with Fernando as a team mate again ?
AND do we expect Rosberg to be given preference at Italy ,OR on team orders NOT to challenge Hamilton IF he is leading until the final; 5 laps ?

Hamilton > McLaren
Vettel > Mercedes
Alonso > Red Bull
Kobayahsi > Ferrari

Magnussen > Audi Sports Cars

Bernie > Old Folks' Home
Button > Shops for a pint of milk
F1 > Sky Sports only
Me > whinge about F1 only being on cable TV (the rotters)

Hawkmoon
30th August 2014, 03:08
People see the name 'McLaren Honda' and images of Marlboro-liveried cars come flooding back. But the 1980s are the only period in the sport's history that Honda have had any real success. They haven't won a championship since 1991. They may have won the 2009 title if they had stuck around but Brawn stuck a Mercedes engine in the back of his car, not a Honda. Who knows what impact that had? Brawn dominated the first part of 2009 but only won 1 of the final 10 races. Maybe Honda's money would have allowed them to keep developing?

Honda have gotten it wrong just as often as they have gotten it right and McLaren have won 1 championship since 2000. Hamilton would be better to stay at Mercedes and see if McLaren and Honda can recapture the 'magic'.

zako85
30th August 2014, 10:55
I will take all rumors about Alonso, Hamilton, or Vettel moving to McLaren with a big grain of salt. The only reason for one of these three world champions switch teams is due to conflicts within the team. McLaren has produced relatively underperforming chassis not only this year, but also last year. Who knows, perhaps Boullier knows how to lift a team from his experience at Lotus in the last couple of years.

PS: If Hamilton does leave Mercedes, they should hire Jacques Villeneuve to replace him. JV will be a much better team player :-)

Tazio
30th August 2014, 11:47
The Boss will jump to Hass F1 in 2016 according to Nicole (his boss) :love: :kiss: :angel:

zako85
30th August 2014, 13:13
What a smart move. Haas racing will become Ferrari's works team according to TJ13 (lol?):

http://thejudge13.com/#Ferrari%20looking%20to%20Haas%20as%20B%20team

henners88
30th August 2014, 17:53
I don't think Mercedes are going to let Hamilton go without a fight so it could be a chance for him to up the stakes. It's down to the team to give him the same reliability as Nico to the end of the season and hope he signs on the dotted line.

Koz
31st August 2014, 11:08
What a smart move. Haas racing will become Ferrari's works team according to TJ13 (lol?):

http://thejudge13.com/#Ferrari%20looking%20to%20Haas%20as%20B%20team

This is unsurprising, Ferrari have run HAAS stickers for a while now.

airshifter
31st August 2014, 12:27
I can't see Lewis jumping ship when he is in the best car on the grid at the current time. It just doesn't make any sense, and though the money might be bigger once Honda is in the picture, winning a title or coming 2nd carries a lot of weight for future negotiations.

As for the Ferrari/Haas relationship, that has been in the works for quite some time and is nothing new. So far every indication is that Haas is making all the right moves to join F1 with the hopes of actually staying there for a while.

RS
31st August 2014, 13:41
The Boss will jump to Hass F1 in 2016 according to Nicole (his boss) :love: :kiss: :angel:

Well they did say they wanted an American driver..

Tazio
31st August 2014, 15:15
:stareup: ;)

Mia 01
31st August 2014, 16:24
As far as I have read Ron only mentioned Vettel and Alonso as the top drivers he was looking for. Is it for sure that Ron wants Lewis back?

henners88
31st August 2014, 18:36
If Ron is considering Alonso then I think a driver who has given so much to the team would be welcomed back no problem.

Mia 01
31st August 2014, 21:42
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9449810/Dennis-McLaren-can-t-attract-big-names

i thought that most people considered Lewis a top driver.

henners88
31st August 2014, 22:00
Lewis is a top driver, what has that got to do with the article? Lewis is contracted next year and there is a fair chance he wouldn't be free to leave a year early, even if next year is the option year. I know you campaign quite strongly on here to make out Lewis is a numpty but I think you are desperately looking for a connection here to do Lewis down, Mia. Do you really rate Lewis that low, or do you enjoy stirring for reactions? I know you rarely answer the questions directed at you after you've delivered a scathing criticism, but I'm willing to offer you the chance to explain.

I would imagine McLaren want to try a new line up and drivers like Alonso and Vettel can deliver results the same way Hamilton did as all three are former world champions. If Hamilton was available I am sure he would be considered too. They know him inside out and have plenty of technical background on him. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in Woking too but not next year. Reading that article I can't see anywhere where it suggests Hamilton is not considered a 'top driver'. It looks more like McLaren's problem rather than one Lewis should be concerned with.

Doc Austin
1st September 2014, 00:25
Lewis is contracted next year and there is a fair chance he wouldn't be free to leave a year early, even if next year is the option year.

Oh, if he and Rosberg crash again, odds are good one of them will have to go. I can't see Mercedes putting up with even more silliness than we have already had.

If a team or driver are unhappy with each other, all a contract means is that you have to negotiate your way out. Ferrari wanted Alonso, so they paid Kimmi to go away. Even Niki Lauda walked out on his BRM contract, though I am not sure of the details other than what was in My years with Ferrari (http://www.amazon.com/Years-With-Ferrari-Niki-Lauda/dp/0879380594).

If Lewis wants out of Mercedes badly enough, he can get out. If he and Rosberg clash again he might not even have a choice. If he is that damm unhappy and wants to go, Mercedes would be crazy to go though another year with their drivers at each other's throats.

anfield5
1st September 2014, 01:18
McLaren will design a world beating car again within the next 3-4 seasons and Honda will provide a dominant engine to fit into it, but both of these things might take a while. Looking at Honda's last dominant F1 adventure, they started with Spirit as a testing the water exercise in 1983. It wasn't until 1995 with the FW10 that results started to come. The following 2 years with the FW11 they started to dominate.

My point is can Alonso and/or Hamilton, etc afford to wait for 2-3 years for Honda to get it right?

driveace
5th September 2014, 14:38
Did Mercedes sort the car out when Rosberg and The Shoe was there OR was it sorted when Lewis went there ?
Think they know that Lewis has the know how about how to set up a good race car and he could use the McLaren drive offer as a tool to maybe be on 25mill at Mercedes ,where as Nico is on 14 mill !
We don't hear of anyone wanting Rosberg as a driver for another team do we ?

Big Ben
5th September 2014, 15:10
yeah right. that's what happened. Hamilton came and sorted out the car for them:laugh:

journeyman racer
5th September 2014, 15:12
That's why he was so good in 07, which is still his best season. It had nothing to do with Alonso at all.

driveace
6th September 2014, 22:40
Ben ,did you answer the question ?
Who else or other team is chasing Rosberg ?
And Rosberg and the Shoe didn't sort the Merc out and Fernando ,didn't drive for Merc,so who did sort it ?

airshifter
7th September 2014, 03:37
Rumor on the US networks is that McLaren are in hot pursuit of Vettel and/or Alonso. They also quoted a statement from Alonso that did not promise long term time with Ferrari. There was no mention of Hamilton, but there was mention of Button possibly being pushed out.

Stranger things have happened. Let the silly season start early with Honda money pouring in!

TheFamousEccles
7th September 2014, 08:57
Ben ,did you answer the question ?
Who else or other team is chasing Rosberg ?
And Rosberg and the Shoe didn't sort the Merc out and Fernando ,didn't drive for Merc,so who did sort it ?

Sure as apples it wasn't Hamilton. Thinking that he did is spectacularly delusional.

As for who else is chasing Rosberg, he signed a contract extension a month ago. Do keep up.

driveace
7th September 2014, 16:47
Who else ?
Besides Mercedes ,and Mercedes have said if there is more collisions between the drivers then one of them will possibly have to go !
So as we know ,as with gootballers an extension of a contract is NO guarantee that you will be able to fulfill that contract !