Merc for leaving Hammy out.

pino
24th August 2014, 15:34
Mercedes for keeping Lewis on track :down:

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:40
Some of todays Donkey's

Massa - Did I miss something? 13th in a Williams

Lotus - Terrible car and again breaking down.

Vettel - He has had some bad luck, but he was battling for a lead on the first lap and ends 40 odd seconds behind Daniel?

Rosberg - He drove a decent recovery race, and although it was a racing incident it was a clumsy one and he has bought himself some issues within the team this evening.

Hawkmoon
24th August 2014, 15:41
Not really a donkey but Vettel got his arse handed to him again. Three wins to zero for the Aussie over his quadruple world champion teammate.

AndyL
24th August 2014, 15:47

I don't know what happened with Massa. He was way off the pace during the first half of the race. His pace was OK later on, but the damage had been done.

A FONDO
24th August 2014, 15:49
Fetel (for everything).
Alonso was also very poor this time.

N4D13
24th August 2014, 15:52
Fetel (for everything).
Alonso was also very poor this time.
Was he? The penalty destroyed his race through no fault of his own. Besides, if it hadn't been because of that moment on the grass in Kemmel (which I'm not going to blame on either driver because I didn't get to watch a replay), he would have been fifth to Kimi's fourth. Not bad considering what he had to deal with today.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:53
Was he? The penalty destroyed his race through no fault of his own. Besides, if it hadn't been because of that moment on the grass in Kemmel (which I'm not going to blame on either driver because I didn't get to watch a replay), he would have been fifth to Kimi's fourth. Not bad considering what he had to deal with today.

I tend to agree with this

Ranger
24th August 2014, 15:56

Commentators said he had debris removed from his car during a pitstop - by then it was too late.

Donkey has to be Ferrari for a professional foul at the start. They are pretty lucky it was only 5 seconds but it was pretty costly.

Rosberg gets an honourable mention but it was a fairly clumsy racing incident - although he was at fault.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:59
Donkey has to be Ferrari for a professional foul at the start. They are pretty lucky it was only 5 seconds but it was pretty costly.

Rosberg gets an honourable mention but it was a fairly clumsy racing incident - although he was at fault.

I agree about Nico

I also agree that the Penalty is pretty lenient.

I remember back in the early 2000s in particular cars getting 10 second actual stop and go penalties for this. Now its just a 5 second add on? Wow

N4D13
24th August 2014, 16:01
It's rather hard to blame Ferrari for that. They were quite lucky - Alonso's car wouldn't start but they managed to get it running during the start, which meant that he wouldn't have to start from the pitlane. A 5-second penalty is nothing compared to what he would have had to endure had he been forced to start from the pitlane. So I'd actually congratulate Ferrari on their swift reaction rather than blame them.

Edit: and yes, the penalty was too lenient. I expected a drive-through, and there's also the fact that starting a car's engine during the warm-up lap and having the driver overtake during it doesn't really come across as a really sensible thing to do. I would expect the rules to become much more stringent in the future to avoid a repeat of situations like this.

Tazio
24th August 2014, 16:08
No blatant donkeys but I think Nico ruined Lewis' race, although it was not too terribly egregious.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 16:26
Nico all but saying Lewis was at fault too. Be interesting to see what happens.

Bagwan
24th August 2014, 16:49
Everyone seems to be burning Nico on this , at least a little bit .

But , it comes down to the fact that they touched , and that isn't good .

Moments before they touched , Nico was right along side , and he wanted to force Lewis to leave room .
Lewis knew he was there , in those moments before , but thought Nico had backed out , and took his line .
Nico was perhaps in process of backing out of it , to make a cut back to the inside , as that's the next logical move , hoping that your opponents exit is compromised , and yours is bettered , but not quite soon enough .

You can judge it as Rosberg sticking his nose in .

You can judge it as Lewis cutting his nose off .

Or , you can judge it as both , like the stewards obviously did , and wring your hands at the approach of the new guy to the fun at the front .

By the way , Eddie did a great job up there today .
I think he should get a permanent position there .

driveace
24th August 2014, 16:55
Rosberg for spoiling what should have been a 1 2 ,and lots of points for the "Team " AND for NOT being a "Team" player
Merc for keeping Hamilton out ,when there was little if NO chance of a safety car too
Vettel and Massa for being shown up by a number 2 driver !

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 17:10
Rosberg for spoiling what should have been a 1 2 ,and lots of points for the "Team " AND for NOT being a "Team" player
Merc for keeping Hamilton out ,when there was little if NO chance of a safety car too
Vettel and Massa for being shown up by a number 2 driver !

Interesting point.

Mercedes maybe rightly from their point of view blamed Lewis for stopping Nico winning in Hungary and now Nico has arguably stopped one of them winning this race.

These two are causing Merc a lot of headaches. Both are making errors and along with their own reliability they are screwing themselves over at the moment.

They should have had a 1-2 in most races, but more and more they are losing their dominance.

keysersoze
24th August 2014, 20:04
Magnussen, for the punk move on Alonso. Good that his penalty took him out of the points, though it cost Fred 5th place.

Tazio
24th August 2014, 20:43
Shame for K-Mag but the kids are supposed to understand these things when they get to this level. Good call, and I bet he will thinks twice about trying it again!

N. Jones
25th August 2014, 00:22
Magnussen. He was weaving like a bus driver out there.

airshifter
25th August 2014, 03:24
Hard to pick a donkey after hearing what happened to Felipe.

Magnusson got really aggressive with Fred, but it's not something Fred wouldn't have done himself.

The near the end nose busting by Alonso was uncommon and his mistake, but no need for a donkey nomination after a drive like that.

Vettel drove a solid race, but just got outrun by Daniel, as did everyone else.

If Nico in fact admitted he allowed the collision to prove a point.... that's a donkey nomination. But I'm not yet sure if he did that.

Ranger
25th August 2014, 06:05
Merc for leaving Hammy out.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Mark Webber was an entire lap down at the Nurburgring last year, and gained that lap back under a later safety car and ended up finishing 7th.

Hamilton wasn't that fortunate, but if a safety car came out around the middle of the race then he could have bagged decent points.

Mercedes did nothing wrong here.

Ari
25th August 2014, 07:14

No fault of his own? Ricciardo received a 10 grid penalty earlier in the year because a wheel fell off his car and went tumbling down pit lane.

Not enough that he didn't finish that race and received zero points. The FIA decided to pull him 10 grid spots at the follow race. So that was two races he was hampered on through no fault of his own.

At least the Ferrari in this instance, they CHOSE to stay out on the track to try and get Alonso moving again. I realise it was the team, and not Alonso himself, but it was a conscious decision to break the rules. When Ricciardo's wheel went flying, this was a mistake in pit lane which caused the driver to not finish the race.

So when I hear about people whining that it wasn't Alonso's fault, I kinda laugh.

Oh.... DONKEY....
Mercedes for keeping Hamilton out there in a broken car.
Rosberg for causing an accident through incompetence.
Vettel for yet again being handed his arse by his teammate.

steveaki13
25th August 2014, 10:18
I wish to retract my Massa mention, as its clear he had issues yesterday.

The Black Knight
25th August 2014, 10:29
Donkey – definitely Rosberg for being a dirty cheat.

Vettel for being shown up yet again.

Maldonado because he is always a donkey.

Finally, Eddie Jordan for being a gutless twat in the interview and defending Rosberg when he clearly didn't deserve defending.

steveaki13
25th August 2014, 10:40
Finally, Eddie Jordan for being a gutless twat in the interview and defending Rosberg when he clearly didn't deserve defending.

Thats really not on is it. EJ did a good job. At that stage most of us feel it was a racing incident.

Even now we can't be sure until Mercedes say either way.

I think of all the things going on, to label EJ as gutless is just venting your frustration very childishly.

The Black Knight
25th August 2014, 11:27
Thats really not on is it. EJ did a good job. At that stage most of us feel it was a racing incident.

Even now we can't be sure until Mercedes say either way.

I think of all the things going on, to label EJ as gutless is just venting your frustration very childishly.

You're welcome to that opinion and I don't think most people were of the feeling that it was a racing incident judging from twitter and most social media either.

As for EJ he changed is mind 3 times in the space of about 20 minutes first he said "This is not a sport for racing drivers". Then the Hamilton interview came on and he said "I agree with all the points he makes" and that he would have to hear the interview again to make a final decision. I used to love Jordan because he would cut out the crap and tell it like it is. Now eitehr he doesn't have the guts to do it anymore or he's just can't make up his mind.

steveaki13
25th August 2014, 11:53
I did think it was a racing incident to start with, then when I heard what had been said at Merc's meeting I was pretty unhappy with Rosberg's actions.

However have Mercedes confirmed that it was an intentional collision? I mean its pretty clear now that Nico could have avoided it, which takes him down in my estimations.

Anyway my point was that Eddie was on the podium before all this meeting stuff and as an FIA representative it was hard for him to go up there and say "So Nico your a cheating ****"

He handle that situation well IMO

donKey jote
25th August 2014, 13:21
Hamilton for crying to the masses and the FIA instead of sorting it out on the track. Totally unnecessary: This is an internal Merc matter and he should know he is better than Ros.

Also Mercedes for not having their drivers in grip.
:devil: :andrea:

henners88
25th August 2014, 14:47
Rosberg: a dull move that created a nasty situation. His silly post race comments trying to push the blame into his team mate have just added fuel to the fire.

A honourable mention to the idiots jumping on the illogical side of all this. I'm happy to accept points or a time out for that one :p

journeyman racer
26th August 2014, 16:24
Not sure about this type of thread. Hence, I usually don't post. But I'll give Vettel a special mention for avoiding the track a often as he did. he must've been watching the V8 Supercars at Eastern Creek earlier in the day! (They were doing it. Why can't I?)

donKey jote
26th August 2014, 19:19
I'm happy to accept points or a time out for that one
Really lol ? :devil: :andrea: :p :laugh:

henners88
26th August 2014, 19:35
I'll give the points to Lewis and in hindsight not be so mild ;)

Doc Austin
26th August 2014, 19:37
I'm going to nominate Pastor, simply out of habit.

TheFamousEccles
27th August 2014, 08:20
Hamilton. Without question. The race and the spin emanating from him and his acolytes post race is a measure of the man. He should have just grown a pair and finished the race as best as he could, rather than speeding back to the pits, ensuring that his deflated tyre shredded and flailed the under-tray was - at best - a rookie mistake but more likely the act of a petulant hot-head fuming that his usual tactic of forcing a yield or crash scenario didn't work this time. Pleading to be alowed to quit and sulk is unbecoming for someone at the tip of the sport.

Rosberg telegraphed his intentions before the race that he wasn't going to be suckered into the yield or crash thing (a la Bahrain) and the Hamilton apologists are all surprised that he did what he said he would. I have tried to like Hamilton but I just cant. Undoubtedly a gifted race driver, a natural if you will. But this implies that he is instinctive so when his brain enters the equation then much angst ensues. I can't wait until he leaves F1. The world will be better for it.

This post isn't simply flame-bait. I have read a lot on the internets from many sources regarding this incident and I see a pattern is forming. Ask Alonzo, Button and now Rosberg.

henners88
27th August 2014, 08:29
Wow, I can't understand how Hamilton can be blamed for this latest incident at all. I also can't understand how any body would look forward to him leaving the sport either. Each to their own, but it's drivers like this that make F1 worth watching, surely? He's been hated since he was in GP2 and I've read it all.

The Black Knight
27th August 2014, 09:09
Wow, I can't understand how Hamilton can be blamed for this latest incident at all. I also can't understand how any body would look forward to him leaving the sport either. Each to their own, but it's drivers like this that make F1 worth watching, surely? He's been hated since he was in GP2 and I've read it all.

Well, going back a few years, but he is black you know :p

TheFamousEccles
27th August 2014, 10:30
Henners, as a driver he is one of the few of the current crop that could be called "brilliant" without resorting to hyperbole. It's the attendant mellodrama and pouting that seems to follow him wherever he goes that has worn me out. It's old and predictable and when someone calls his bluff it always ends in duck-lips and strained relations.

henners88
27th August 2014, 10:36
Henners, as a driver he is one of the few of the current crop that could be called "brilliant" without resorting to hyperbole. It's the attendant mellodrama and pouting that seems to follow him wherever he goes that has worn me out. It's old and predictable and when someone calls his bluff it always ends in duck-lips and strained relations.

He is sulky, but I feel in many situations he has been more reserved than I would have been. I just don't know how to discuss amongst people who constantly bash the bloke, he lost out in Spa through no fault of his own and had a few strong words after wards, so what? He attracts drama I suppose because he's a hard racer and isn't afraid to go wheel to wheel with a team mate. You need respect in that situation and we know both these guys like to push the limits and each other off track, but they don't expect to take each other out.

He's also not the only sulky driver. Look at Vettel, Rosberg, Alonso, they have all whinged in the press but don't get the kick back Hamilton seems to. It makes discussing things amongst fans very difficult. A brilliant driver that you can't wait to leave F1? That doesn't sound good for the sports appeal to me.

airshifter
27th August 2014, 12:42
Hamilton. Without question. The race and the spin emanating from him and his acolytes post race is a measure of the man. He should have just grown a pair and finished the race as best as he could, rather than speeding back to the pits, ensuring that his deflated tyre shredded and flailed the under-tray was - at best - a rookie mistake but more likely the act of a petulant hot-head fuming that his usual tactic of forcing a yield or crash scenario didn't work this time. Pleading to be alowed to quit and sulk is unbecoming for someone at the tip of the sport.

Rosberg telegraphed his intentions before the race that he wasn't going to be suckered into the yield or crash thing (a la Bahrain) and the Hamilton apologists are all surprised that he did what he said he would. I have tried to like Hamilton but I just cant. Undoubtedly a gifted race driver, a natural if you will. But this implies that he is instinctive so when his brain enters the equation then much angst ensues. I can't wait until he leaves F1. The world will be better for it.

This post isn't simply flame-bait. I have read a lot on the internets from many sources regarding this incident and I see a pattern is forming. Ask Alonzo, Button and now Rosberg.

Between this and your follow up post I can understand your frustrations and dislike for Hamilton. Though I haven't reached the level of dislike you have.... yet.... I have often said he is his own worst enemy. I think it's been made clear by Nico that he wants a title, and at Spa both drivers did a stupid thing expecting the other to yield. Though I blame the incident primarily on Nico, Lewis should have known better too, and both should have finished the race without damage to either car.

The only thing that keeps me wanting to like Hamilton is that when his head is right, he can be amazing on track at times. I terms of racecraft he can be one of the best in the field.

Bagwan
27th August 2014, 13:49
"Whatever the case I will always put the team first and I won't take anything in to my own hands.”
Lewis just said that .

Polishing it a touch , isn't he ?

Quiet , Lewis . Inside voice .

Hawkmoon
27th August 2014, 14:38
His repeated requests to retire the car weren't becoming of a former world champion. Even if there was a tactical reason to do so (save mileage on the engine), it's not what you expect to hear from someone fighting for a championship. As with Vettel on occasion Hamilton has a tendency to sulk when he feels slighted. A forgivable trait I suppose but easy ammo for those who don't like the man for whatever reason.

Doc Austin
27th August 2014, 17:40
His repeated requests to retire the car weren't becoming of a former world champion. Even if there was a tactical reason to do so (save mileage on the engine), it's not what you expect to hear from someone fighting for a championship.

Hamilton said he could not even keep up with the Saubers, so I can understand why he would want to save the engine. If you are the slowest guy on the track, there's not much hope of scoring point, so be smart and save the equipment. After all, you need it in good shape for Monza.

donKey jote
28th August 2014, 01:56
He's also not the only sulky driver. Look at Vettel, Rosberg, Alonso, they have all whinged in the press but don't get the kick back Hamilton seems to.
Alonso didn't get kick back, no, not much. You must have blinked and missed it.
... But maybe it was cos 'e was spic ;) :andrea:

henners88
28th August 2014, 08:38
I think the fact English isn't everybody's first language here means points are often missed. I'd be lying if I said I had a clue what that means Donks, sorry :p :)

donKey jote
28th August 2014, 09:07
Maybe English isn't your first language... ;) :p

henners88
28th August 2014, 09:44
I'm pretty sure it isn't lol.

Tazio
28th August 2014, 10:03
... But maybe it was cos 'e was spic Takes one to know one :idea: :p:

C'mon Hennie' you know what a greasy little spic is :bandit: :angel: