PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Belgian GP Thread

steveaki13
18th August 2014, 21:54
Hoooooooorahh the summer break is coming to an end at last and this weekend see's the Belgium GP mark Round 12 of the season and gets us bored F1 fans going again.

It will be interesting to see the lay of the land after the break.

First things first though

Nico Rosberg
Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes

Daniel Ricciardo
Red Bull

Fernando Alonso
Ferrari

Valterri Bottas
Williams

Sebastian Vettel
Red Bull

Nico Hulkenberg
Force India

Jenson Button
Mclaren

Felipe Massa
Williams

Kevin Magnussen
Mclaren

Sergio Perez
Force India

Kimi Raikkonen
Ferrari

Jean Eric Vergne
Toro Rosso

Romain Grosjean
Lotus

Danii Kyvat
Toro Rosso

Jules Bianchi
Marussia

Adrian Sutil
Sauber

Marcus Ericcson
Caterham

Pastor Maldonado
Lotus

Esteban Gutierrez
Sauber

Max Chilton
Marussia

Kamui Kobayshi
Caterham

Mercedes

Red Bull

Ferrari

Williams

Force India

Mclaren

Toro Rosso

Lotus

Marussia

Sauber

Caterham

2014 Belgian GP

http://topspeed.gazzetta.it/files/2013/08/Belgium.jpg

44 Laps

Lap Record: 1:47:263 - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull

Session Times - Local & (Uk -Sorry :vampire:)

FP1: 10:00am-11:30 am - (9:00am - 10:30am)
FP 2: 14:00pm-15:30pm -(13:00pm-14:30pm)

FP3: 11:00am-12:00pm - (10:00am-11:00am)
Quali: 14:00pm - (13:00pm)

Race: 14:00pm - (13:00pm)

Previous Winners since 1990
1990: Ayrton Senna - Mclaren
1991: Ayrton Senna - Mclaren
1992: Michael Schumacher - Benetton
1993: Damon Hill - Williams
1994: Damon Hill - Williams
1995: Michael Schumacher - Benetton
1996: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
1997: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
1998: Damon Hill - Jordan
1999: David Coulthard - Mclaren
2000: Mika Hakkinen - Mclaren
2001: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2002: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2004: Kimi Raikkonen - Mclaren
2005: Kimi Raikkonen - Mclaren
2007: Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
2008: Felipe Massa - Ferrari
2009: Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
2010: Lewis Hamilton - Mclaren
2011: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
2012: Jenson Button - Mclaren
2013: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull

Multiple Winners

Michael Schumacher - 6 wins
Ayrton Senna - 5 wins
Jim Clark - 4 wins
Kimi Raikkonen - 4 wins
Juan Manuel Fangio - 3 wins
Damon Hill - 3 wins
Alberto Ascari - 2 wins
Emerson Fittipaldi - 2 wins
Niki Lauda - 2 wins
Alain Prost - 2 wins
Sebastian Vettel - 2 wins

* So Kimi is the legend around here of drivers still driving, but hard to see much coming his way this year. IMO Schumi, Senna, Clark and Kimi are the true greats around here.

Ferrari - 16 wins
Mclaren - 14 wins
Lotus - 8 wins
Alfa Romeo - 4 wins * 2 pre F1
Williams - 4 wins
Mercedes - 3 wins
Bugatti - 3 wins * Pre F1
Benetton - 2 wins
Red Bull - 2 wins
Maserati - 2 wins * 1 pre F1

What price on anyone stopping Mercedes making it number 4 round here.

Anyway there we have it guys. 4 days until Practice begins and lets have some F1 chat which has been missing the last 2 weeks.

A classic circuit, albeit I still miss the old Bus stop. Lets hope the race lives up to the circuit.

:)

Storm
19th August 2014, 10:15
Classic circuit indeed (Incidentaly I have been watching a Kimi lap from 2004/5 quite a few times in the last couple of weeks)

henners88
19th August 2014, 10:20
As this race is on TV for a change I will record it and watch on the Sunday evening. Never has F1 been this exciting.

journeyman racer
19th August 2014, 11:11
I think the circuit has slightly lost an edge. I remember watching Schumacher's first win.

steveaki13
19th August 2014, 19:02
I think the circuit has slightly lost an edge. I remember watching Schumacher's first win.

I would agree, for me its the lack of gravel now. It is safer I know, but zooming through Eau Rouge flat/nearly flat with gravel either side was scary, inspiring, exciting and brilliant.

Now is just some white lines on a vast piece of tarmac. Same goes with Pouhon and Blancimont

Storm
19th August 2014, 21:33
Lack of gravel on most circuits has dumbed them down.

Safer? yes, but aren't these guys supposed to use their skill and judgement when going through a corner which has gravel traps? tarmac = mistakes are no longer punished...I can understand a bit of tarmac if there is a concrete wall or something really dangerous on an exit..

Mia 01
19th August 2014, 22:04
I like Spa, you know why.

steveaki13
19th August 2014, 23:18
I like Spa, you know why.

Kimi is the only true modern day legend around here. 4 wins. Great stuff. Lets hope he does well this weekend

steveaki13
19th August 2014, 23:21
Lack of gravel on most circuits has dumbed them down.

Safer? yes, but aren't these guys supposed to use their skill and judgement when going through a corner which has gravel traps? tarmac = mistakes are no longer punished...I can understand a bit of tarmac if there is a concrete wall or something really dangerous on an exit..

I agree Storm

The gravel and grass was a true test of courage and skill. I suppose they push hard now, but know if they make a mistake it will be OK.

Back a while you pushed 99% knowing they needed to use skill and judgement and couldn't make a mistake.

GravettFan99
20th August 2014, 00:27
Hungary saw Kimi achieve his best finish of the season, so I'm hoping his result there is the start of a redemption. I think he has a chance of outrunning Alonso at Spa.

Storm
20th August 2014, 07:09
Interestingly Alonso hasn't won at Spa :o - I don't remember but has he had any DNFs or shunts there?

edit: 2006 seems to be missing from that list so the above line makes no sense if he indeed won that year :)

steveaki13
20th August 2014, 07:46
No Belgian GP in 2003 & 2006

Robinho
20th August 2014, 08:34
I'm sure he binned it in the rain one year, but not sure if he retired as a result

Mia 01
20th August 2014, 11:25
One of the most thrilling battles I watshed over the years at Spa is the one between Kimi and Lewis 2008, the last laps in the rain.

henners88
20th August 2014, 13:53
One of the most thrilling battles I watshed over the years at Spa is the one between Kimi and Lewis 2008, the last laps in the rain.
That was all just a side show for the brilliance of Massa who eventually stormed to victory though. Hamilton is only an average driver so my guess is something was wrong with Kimi's Ferrari. Shame.

journeyman racer
20th August 2014, 15:11
The whole race.

N. Jones
20th August 2014, 16:19
Love, Love, LOve this track! Attrition is sometimes high but if Mercedes can keep all of their parts functioning I don't think they can be beat.
Unless.... has the car been driven in cooler temps this season? I wonder if that might be a concern...

Tazio
20th August 2014, 16:57
Kimi is the only true modern day legend around here. 4 wins. Great stuff. Lets hope he does well this weekend

Hungary saw Kimi achieve his best finish of the season, so I'm hoping his result there is the start of a redemption. I think he has a chance of outrunning Alonso at Spa.

As far back as Canada certain members (like Airshifter) were saying that Force India were about to overtake Ferrari in the WCC standings. That race wouldn't even be close if Kimi did what he was paid for. I hope he fares better in the second half of the season, because Kimi, and his vastly superior teammate even have a chance to hold off Williams for third. I also feel that if Fred continues to ponk Kimi at Spa it will be the final nail in Kimi's F1coffin, and I personally don't want to see him go out like this, but it is becoming more and more evident that he bit off more than he can chew in his battle against Alonso.

truefan72
20th August 2014, 20:13
As far back as Canada certain members (like Airshifter) were saying that Force India were about to overtake Ferrari in the WCC standings. That race wouldn't even be close if Kimi did what he was paid for. I hope he fares better in the second half of the season, because Kimi, and his vastly superior teammate even have a chance to hold off Williams for third. I also feel that if Fred continues to ponk Kimi at Spa it will be the final nail in Kimi's F1coffin, and I personally don't want to see him go out like this, but it is becoming more and more evident that he bit off more than he can chew in his battle against Alonso.

TBH i don't think kimi even sees it as a battle between he and Alonso. Kimi is only concerned with getting his car the way he wants it and going about his business.
In his 2 worst years in recent memory ,2008 the car did not suit him and tbf he was not as motivated. I'd say he was even slightly burned out.
This year, the car absolutely does not suit him and credit has to be given to alonso for wrestling with this beast. But he is slowly coming to grips and we have 9 more races to go so we will see.
But when the car suits him and he feels confident in the machinery, he has proven to be a very capable driver. I think kimi has done his best with this car, Alonso is just that good and has put a serious shine on a turd. It is more to do with what Alonso overperforming than kimi underperforming

and yes, I absolutely love this track. I do miss the old bus stop chicane though. It was such a classic. I wish they would bring it back somehow.
Spa and suzuka are tops on my list. by a long margin with istanbul coming in at an honorable 3rd (loved that track too)

Hawkmoon
21st August 2014, 06:06
and yes, I absolutely love this track. I do miss the old bus stop chicane though. It was such a classic. I wish they would bring it back somehow.

I couldn't agree more. Spa didn't need 'improving'. At least they didn't do a Hockenheim job on it.

airshifter
21st August 2014, 12:32

Being Kimi is the current Spa master, if he can't get the best of Alonso at that track he probably has no other chance to do it in the current or any other car. Sadly, I really don't think him or even Fred has a real chance at a podium at Spa, as the Ferrari engine package should disadvantage both of them as compared to the Merc powered cars. As for Kimi v Alonso, personally I think that battle is long over, at least for this season. I was hoping to see Kimi at least hassle Fred, and it's just not happening at all. Maybe Ferrari made a mistake paying Kimi to not drive when they picked up Fred, so he's still doing that now that he is back in the car.

I really wish Ferrari would sort out the car. With the form Alonso is showing, I think he could easily be hassling the Mercs for the top step on the podium if they could get the Ferrari up in line with the Williams cars.

truefan72
21st August 2014, 19:19
At least they didn't do a Hockenheim job on it.

and for that we are all eternaly thankful

Doc Austin
21st August 2014, 19:31
I couldn't agree more. Spa didn't need 'improving'. At least they didn't do a Hockenheim job on it.

They should have left the 1966 version alone and just improved the barriers.

henners88
22nd August 2014, 09:51
Spa needs rain. Its a great track, my favourite in fact, but it can be dull as hell when its a dry race and a leader off in the distance. I had forgotten I am going on holiday tomorrow so will be watching this race on Wednesday when I get back. I'm not having much luck this year with race weekends.

Storm
22nd August 2014, 11:11
FP1 on right now and there might be rain in quallies tomorrow....That rain should come on sunday tbh.

Tazio
22nd August 2014, 16:32
Being Kimi is the current Spa master, if he can't get the best of Alonso at that track he probably has no other chance to do it in the current or any other car. Sadly, I really don't think him or even Fred has a real chance at a podium at Spa, as the Ferrari engine package should disadvantage both of them as compared to the Merc powered cars. As for Kimi v Alonso, personally I think that battle is long over, at least for this season. I was hoping to see Kimi at least hassle Fred, and it's just not happening at all. Maybe Ferrari made a mistake paying Kimi to not drive when they picked up Fred, so he's still doing that now that he is back in the car.

I really wish Ferrari would sort out the car. With the form Alonso is showing, I think he could easily be hassling the Mercs for the top step on the podium if they could get the Ferrari up in line with the Williams cars.
I'm starting to think that Kimi is just not comfortable with the lower down force level of this seasons regs'. He did go well in FP1, maybe he'll get the car sorted out yet. Fred looks strong as usual, although I think p3 is a little optimistic.

steveaki13
22nd August 2014, 20:35
Spa needs rain. Its a great track, my favourite in fact, but it can be dull as hell when its a dry race and a leader off in the distance. I had forgotten I am going on holiday tomorrow so will be watching this race on Wednesday when I get back. I'm not having much luck this year with race weekends.

Where are you going on Holiday Henners? Anywhere nice

Doc Austin
22nd August 2014, 21:10
Has Pastor crashed yet?

steveaki13
22nd August 2014, 23:17
Has Pastor crashed yet?

http://www.espn.co.uk/belgium/motorsport/story/171939.html

;)

journeyman racer
23rd August 2014, 06:30

So henners88 misses out on another race. Starts pointing out what's wrong with F1/Spa, and what should happen? :o:rolleyes:

Tazio
23rd August 2014, 09:00
In fairness to Hennie' he watches the races, just not live. Also he's a huge fan of da boss, but then again he is a pom. ;) :angel:

steveaki13
23rd August 2014, 11:12
Your a Yank so you must be crying that Rossi was dumped ;)

Tazio
23rd August 2014, 12:50
I'm absolutely devastated, considering I've never mentioned the frekin' guy ever, anywhere! :rolleyes: ;)

longisland
23rd August 2014, 14:27
How can you not love Niki Lauda, he wears a scarlet cap in the Mercedes garage

truefan72
23rd August 2014, 14:40
stupid STR completely compromising Vergne's Q2
WTF was that strategy call.
They are messing with his race, because he was outshining Kvyatt in Q1 so they decided to screw him in Q2, SMH

donKey jote
23rd August 2014, 15:00
Alo binned p3 on turn 4 :(

donKey jote
23rd August 2014, 15:01
Merc 2 seconds faster than the rest :crazy:

donKey jote
23rd August 2014, 15:02
Alo 1 sec faster than the kimster :dozey:

longisland
23rd August 2014, 15:06
Rosberg made it count despite the whole week dominated by Hamilton.

journeyman racer
23rd August 2014, 15:09
Hamilton stuffs up in qualifying again! Lucky for him, he has a car 4 secs quicker than the rest. It covers up his mistakes in qualifying. It will enable him to challenge for the win. He's so, so, so lucky.

jens
23rd August 2014, 15:35
Hamilton stuffs up in qualifying again! Lucky for him, he has a car 4 secs quicker than the rest. It covers up his mistakes in qualifying. It will enable him to challenge for the win. He's so, so, so lucky.

It sounds like a standard Garry Walker speech throughout recent years if you change a driver name.:)

Tazio
23rd August 2014, 15:38
According to Lewis he had a glazed front left brake that was making the car hard to handle. However, maybe he's just being a big fat liar. :idea: :)

Doc Austin
23rd August 2014, 20:06
Your a Yank so you must be crying that Rossi was dumped ;)

Actually I'de prefer that Americans stay out of cars like the Marussia and Caterham. Having an American in F1 is meaningless if he is in a hopeless ride.

steveaki13
23rd August 2014, 21:09
Well Lewis screws up again. He is fast chucking this title out of the window.

Anyway its insane how much faster the Mercedes are today. I don't think in the dry they will be quite so far clear, but it should be an easy 1-2.

zako85
24th August 2014, 05:40
Mercedes cars are two seconds a lap faster than the best of the rest, and that's on wet track! Gee, this sounds very encouraging.

dj_bytedisaster
24th August 2014, 08:19
It sounds like a standard Garry Walker speech throughout recent years if you change a driver name.:)

Garry sits at home, frothing at the mouth because Vettel outqualified Ricciardo despite basically losing the whole Friday.

journeyman racer
24th August 2014, 12:26
Maybe losing a day of practice is no big deal in F1 nowadays? After all, team are now hiring kids to drive the cars.

Well Lewis screws up again. He is fast chucking this title out of the window.
Including today, 8 races to go. 8 races could be a full season on it's own. Long, long way to go.

Anyway its insane how much faster the Mercedes are today. I don't think in the dry they will be quite so far clear, but it should be an easy 1-2.
I don't know if it' been said elsewhere. But I heard on radio today. This is the biggest margin, front row lock out, from a team since McLaren cars dominated the 1988 San Marino GP qualifying.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 13:26
I don't know if it' been said elsewhere. But I heard on radio today. This is the biggest margin, front row lock out, from a team since McLaren cars dominated the 1988 San Marino GP qualifying.

This is very similar in my opinion.

As for the fact drivers can miss nearly all practice and still be right there, and as you say kids are able to race at the front from starting there careers, suggests to me despite being faster, the cars are generally a lot easier to driver.

Coupled with the fact youngsters today can make errors and rejoin easier than back in the day when a youthful error led to retirement in the gravel. Experience of keeping it on track these days is not needed as much.

journeyman racer
24th August 2014, 13:41
I was taking the mickey out of dj's emphatic opinion. A far as F1 being easier nowadays. Off the top of my head, I reckon 10 F1 titles have been won by drivers who were younger than the youngest WRC winner. Which currently is Colin McRae, at 27.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 13:45
Anyway Hi y'all

Looks like a bit of rain maybe.

Will it be a classic?

Tazio
24th August 2014, 13:47
morning dawgs! :angel:

Tazio
24th August 2014, 13:48
looks dry, are they expecting rain?

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 13:49
morning dawgs! :angel:

:wave:

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 13:49
looks dry, are they expecting rain?

Rob Smedley saying rain around the start time. As we know round Spa you never know

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 13:52
Spots of rain falling already.

donKey jote
Hay gurlz :bandit:

Tazio
looks lke it is starting to spit just a little :eek:

Koz
Hey guys!

Tazio
24th August 2014, 13:53
Donks :wave: :angel:

donKey jote
24th August 2014, 13:54
looks lke it is starting to spit just a little :eek:
Unlike Billy's missus... :erm:

donKey jote
24th August 2014, 13:57
Great start :mad:

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 13:57
Fred going to get a Penalty

Tazio
24th August 2014, 13:59
what the hell? :angryfire

donKey jote
24th August 2014, 14:04
Fireworks :D

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:05
Race over. Nico wins

Tazio
Ah hahaha!!

gm99
Time for some new team-building measures at Mercedes ;)

steveaki13
Shame for the race

Tazio
nico wing damage though!

donKey jote
24th August 2014, 14:06
Black flag ham ? :p

steveaki13
Its gonna be fun afterwards :D

Daniel
Race over. Nico wins

Did Hamilton not jump the start?

yodasarmpit
Nico, you ****. That was really some poor driving.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:07
Did Hamilton not jump the start?

Dont know, he went over his grid slot and reversed backwards.

Nico has no front end now.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:09
Lotterer out. Thats a shame. He done well yesterday

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:10
Daniel fancies a go at Seb I think.

Somebody
24th August 2014, 14:13

Nah, he's just hungrier than Hammy Hamster :)

steveaki13
Ricciardo passes Vettel, leaves him for dead. Has Seb got a problem. Daniel looking for the lead

gm99
Race over. Nico wins

Not so sure. Could actually be pretty interesting with Nico not really being able to check out up front.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:14
Oh Seb made another mistake

veeten
Two drivers being aggressive, one ahead the other behind. One a hard pass in the curve, the other a hard defense. Broken wing plate, cut tyre, hurt feelings all around.

Nothing new here, fellows.

steveaki13
Not so sure. Could actually be pretty interesting with Nico not really being able to check out up front.

Yer absolutely. Since I posted that, it appears that his Mercedes has some wing damage.

Daniel
24th August 2014, 14:15

Ah come on, seen faaaaar worse than that. Racing incident.

veeten
Oh Seb made another mistake

And Daniel pounces. So, who's the boss?... ;)

steveaki13
Two drivers being aggressive, one ahead the other behind. One a hard pass in the curve, the other a hard defense. Broken wing plate, cut tyre, hurt feelings all around.

Nothing new here, fellows.

Yep

Try telling that to Truefan when he comes on :p

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:17
Nico changing his front wing. They obviously feel the time lost can be gained back by the improved pace

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:20
I wonder if Seb is struggling as he is not used to a car so twitchy? I mean his successful Red Bulls have been so bolted down in the corners. Now they are running a skinny rear wing

veeten
24th August 2014, 14:20
and Daniel is leader, again... :p

WTF is that on Nico R's car?.. :confused:

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:21
Wow Nico with stuff flapping in his face. What the hell have Mercedes done to upset racing Gods. They have worse reliability these days and now anything that can go wrong is going wrong

N4D13
24th August 2014, 14:23
Wow Nico with stuff flapping in his face. What the hell have Mercedes done to upset racing Gods. They have worse reliability these days and now anything that can go wrong is going wrong
Apparently not Merc's fault!

gm99

A piece of Hamilton's tire? Karma's a bitch :p

Somebody
BBC are saying it's kevlar from HAM or BIA's shredded tyre.

veeten
24th August 2014, 14:24
Pits and comes out ahead of Alonso & Vettel.

How about that.

Koz
24th August 2014, 14:24
Omg kimi!!! :d

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:25
You get what I mean though. Mercedes looked to have 1-2 at every race, now they are struggling to get wins because all sorts are going on

Somebody
24th August 2014, 14:30
Wasn't Spa where Raikonnen picked it up in his last year with Ferrari, after Massa's injury?

veeten
24th August 2014, 14:31
Vettel 3rd, bur Nico R closing...

veeten
24th August 2014, 14:32
Wasn't Spa where Raikonnen picked it up in his last year with Ferrari, after Massa's injury?

Yeah, but the problem is that Alonso isn't hurting.

Hmmmmmm.... :idea: :p

truefan72
24th August 2014, 14:35
useless nico, how hew did not get a penalty is beyond me
so he can;t pass hamilton so he destroys his race

a cheat and a lousy racer

veeten
24th August 2014, 14:35
and now, it's Bottas. :p

veeten
24th August 2014, 14:36

yeah, Steve. I see what you mean... :s :p

Somebody
24th August 2014, 14:37

http://i.imgur.com/4ZDXlGW.png

longisland
24th August 2014, 14:38
It's still early. I have a hunch this season maybe a repeat of 85.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:38
Be to honest, it has helped Nico, but it clearly wasn't intentional because Nico's race has been ruined.

We see that sort of thing all the time. Bianchi had it today with Grosjean on Lap 1

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:41
If Mercedes can't fix their reliability problems and keep running into each other, Ricciardo may catch them

edit: Lewis ready to give up after 20 laps while setting the fastest lap of the race????????????

Rain and SC could easily get him some major points. Thats a really sad indication of his mind set.

He needs to man up and push til the end

Somebody
24th August 2014, 14:45
Lewis ready to give up after 20 laps while setting the fastest lap of the race????????????

Rain and SC could easily get him some major points. Thats a really sad indication of his mind set.

He needs to man up and push til the end

Clearly, he's not hungry any more :)

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:45
Rosberg jumped Kimi and Seb.

Could be on for the win again

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 14:54
Despite all we said, Lewis and his damage is slowing him down. He cant catch the Sauber at the moment

veeten
24th August 2014, 14:54
Funny, Daniel is running away with this race, in the fashion that his multi-champion teammate used to.

How times change...

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:06
Both Lotus out again :(

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:07
This is not a Hungarian style thriller today is it :p

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:09
Hamilton's car is clearly badly damaged. He is falling away from Saubers, so it really has ruined the Championship.

I make this bold statement. IMO Nico has everything he needs and will win this Title.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:12
How is Vettel wearing his tyres and 44 seconds behind Ricciardo. He has had issues this season, but Seb has been smashed today.

Alonso also moaning at Kev for no reason.

pino
24th August 2014, 15:16
Stupid Merc, why are they keeping Lewis on track ?

veeten
24th August 2014, 15:18
they must've heard you, pino.

Hamilton has ended his race.

pino
24th August 2014, 15:18
About time veeten !

veeten
24th August 2014, 15:22
mid-pack action! :D

pino
24th August 2014, 15:23
Alonso :eek:

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:24
K Mag causing chaos :D

truefan72
24th August 2014, 15:26
laughable stewards
they will investigate magnuson alonso move but not rosberg on hamilton?
ridiculous

pino
24th August 2014, 15:27
Great win for Ric :up:

truefan72
24th August 2014, 15:27
congrats ricciardo

cya everyone, too pissed to post

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:29
To be honest

K Mag deserves no punishment either. He was pushing it, but it was just good hard defence. Nico ruined his own race in a way and it was clumsy.

He won't be bothered though. Whatever the case, its helped him a treat.

Money on Ricciardo getting 2nd in the WDC?

Tazio
24th August 2014, 15:29

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:30
Fred smashing into Vettel :s

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:30

Bye Taz ;)

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:31
Say what you like, but Lewis does have some rubbish luck :D

Tazio
24th August 2014, 15:33
Bye Taz ;)
I was waving bye t0 True fan I'll stick around to give kimi his due!! ;)

N4D13
24th August 2014, 15:33
That Alonso penalty probably robbed us of what would have been the first straight fight of the season between Kimi and Nando. :(

Koz
24th August 2014, 15:37
Did Rosberg just get booed??

journeyman racer
Ricciardo spent some time at the rear of the field in Victorian state fford competition. I'm a regular spectator at Phillip Island and Sandown, watching Victorian state motorsport. Having seen the level of driving. I'm not sure Vettel could get to midfield in Vic state competitions. Unless he has the best car in the Sportscar and/or MG-Invited British cars class.

Hawkmoon
Despite Truefan's rather one-eyed take on the collision it was a racing incident and Rosberg didn't deserve a penalty. The Mercedes bosses will probably have a word with young Nico though because it was a very clumsy move. Rosberg was at no point ahead and should have conceded the corner.

N4D13
24th August 2014, 15:38
Did Rosberg just get booed??
Yup. A bit unnecessary in my opinion, but you can imagine that the crowds might have wanted to see a fight for the win between Lewis and him. Their fight wasn't particularly enjoyable for the people who bought tickets for the GP, I guess.

donKey jote
24th August 2014, 15:38
Kimi finally earned his dough :up:

Somebody
24th August 2014, 15:41
Just a thought. Hamilton is now 29 points behind Rosberg... and only 35 points ahead of Ricciardo. I wouldn't bet that he has second place sewn up...

Koz
24th August 2014, 15:43
Yup. A bit unnecessary in my opinion, but you can imagine that the crowds might have wanted to see a fight for the win between Lewis and him. Their fight wasn't particularly enjoyable for the people who bought tickets for the GP, I guess.

What a shame.

AndyL
24th August 2014, 15:45
Wow, Toto is not happy with Nico at all.

Tazio
They booed the hell out of Nico :confused:

dj_bytedisaster
How is Vettel wearing his tyres and 44 seconds behind Ricciardo. He has had issues this season, but Seb has been smashed today.

Alonso also moaning at Kev for no reason.

Because he had nearly no running in the dry to set up his car on Friday.

Hawkmoon
24th August 2014, 15:47
Eddie Jordan is normally a loud-mouth twit but his defence of Rosberg on the podium was well done. Rosberg doesn't deserve to be booed like that. It was a racing incident.

dj_bytedisaster
24th August 2014, 15:49
Whoa, Lauda is pissed off.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:49
Because he had nearly no running in the dry to set up his car on Friday.

;)

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 15:52
Mercedes may be ruing allowing these two to race. The team seem very angry at this incident.

Lewis has been at fault for some things this season, but in this incident despite it just being a racing incident, it was clearly more Nicos fault than Lewis.

I wonder what Mercedes are going to do. Niki was fuming

TheFamousEccles
24th August 2014, 15:59

Get a grip.

dj_bytedisaster
24th August 2014, 16:02
I think Vettel is done for this year. He was completely down in the RTL interview. I wouldn't be surprized if his self-esteem is completely in the abyss now...

veeten
24th August 2014, 16:06
Wow, Eddie Irvine as Peacemaker. Who saw that one coming... :p

This is what happens when you have two guys that were the best of friends become co-drivers, it just gets ugly. :s :(

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 16:06
I think Vettel is done for this year. He was completely down in the RTL interview. I wouldn't be surprized if his self-esteem is completely in the abyss now...

Why though, he has 4 world titles and if he believes in himself, he should be positive he can come back.

Especially as he has had some dodgy luck.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 16:07
Wow, Eddie Irvine as Peacemaker. Who saw that one coming... :p

Not many as it was Eddie Jordan :p

Hawkmoon
24th August 2014, 16:08

It's easy for me to say from the comfort of my couch but shouldn't a four-time world champion have a little more resilience than that?

veeten
24th August 2014, 16:15
It's the car, dj. Daniel is better with it than Seb is, sort of like the previous one that suited Seb. I have no doubt that Vettel will understand it in time, but Riccairdo knows just what it can, and will, do in his hands. And with 3 years use, tops, Daniel could amass quite a resume in it.

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 16:29
Nico claiming he was alongside for the contact :eek:

Also just seen K Mag force Alonso onto the Grass along the straight.

Alonso was alongside and K Mag forced him off. Looks bad for Kevin

Mia 01
24th August 2014, 16:32
The car looked so much better in Kimis hand today and he drove a very very good race. Keep this up man!

Daniel
24th August 2014, 16:52
Mercedes may be ruing allowing these two to race. The team seem very angry at this incident.

Lewis has been at fault for some things this season, but in this incident despite it just being a racing incident, it was clearly more Nicos fault than Lewis.

I wonder what Mercedes are going to do. Niki was fuming

Completely agree. As usual because it's not Lewis people are making out like Nico did it on purpose. If Lewis did it mistakes happen, if Nico did it it's becoz he's german innit.

driveace
24th August 2014, 17:06
At NO point was Rosberg in front of OR stood a chance of an overtake there
IT was Red Mist ,and with intent,thats what Toto saw and Lauda too
Is Rosberg a "Team " player ?
Your answer has to be NO !!!! He is selfish ,as that race coul;d have been a 1-2 for Mercedes and lots of Team points ,instead he well and truly F ked up ! Big time
How he recieved NO penalty I dont know ! Was his father one of the race stewards ?

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 17:12
At NO point was Rosberg in front of OR stood a chance of an overtake there
IT was Red Mist ,and with intent,thats what Toto saw and Lauda too
Is Rosberg a "Team " player ?
Your answer has to be NO !!!! He is selfish ,as that race coul;d have been a 1-2 for Mercedes and lots of Team points ,instead he well and truly F ked up ! Big time
How he recieved NO penalty I dont know ! Was his father one of the race stewards ?

Personally don't think a penalty was deserved, but I agree that both drivers appear equally selfish in terms of claiming 1-2's for Mercedes.

In the last 2 races, both have ruined the teams chances.

They had better hope Daniel Ricciardo doesn't take this title some how. Or Mercedes will probably sack them both :p

Tazio
24th August 2014, 17:20
The car looked so much better in Kimis hand today and he drove a very very good race. Keep this up man!Agree, good news for Ferrari, and it is safe to say he drove a better race than Fred

The Black Knight
24th August 2014, 18:04
Completely agree. As usual because it's not Lewis people are making out like Nico did it on purpose. If Lewis did it mistakes happen, if Nico did it it's becoz he's german innit.

Not at all! It's because Nico clearly did it on purpose just like Monaco.

The Black Knight
24th August 2014, 18:11
Personally don't think a penalty was deserved, but I agree that both drivers appear equally selfish in terms of claiming 1-2's for Mercedes.

In the last 2 races, both have ruined the teams chances.

They had better hope Daniel Ricciardo doesn't take this title some how. Or Mercedes will probably sack them both :p

Yawn - Lewis was entitled to do what he did in the last race. Even Totto and Lowe agree with him. A penalty was very much deserved today. If it wasn't intentional (and because of Monaco I doubt it) then it was utterly stupid what he did. On the first lap Vetteel could have done the same but instead he went straight on and didn't ruin anyone's race.

Simple fact is that Rosberg knows he can't beat Hamilton in a straight fight, he has never been able to beat him straight out even in ther karting career, so now he is resorting to cheating to win. Today's second chop at the steering wheel was as clear as Jerez 97.

The Black Knight
24th August 2014, 18:33
And here we have it, he has admitted doing this on purpose. Final proof that Rosberg is actually a cheating c*nt!

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115554/hamilton-rosberg-said-clash-deliberate

steveaki13
24th August 2014, 18:41
I dont claim to know better. If Nico did admit that to Mercedes then its up to them to take action.

If that is official then Nico has more to answer for.

Be interesting to follow what happens next.

N. Jones
25th August 2014, 00:24
Yawn - Lewis was entitled to do what he did in the last race. Even Totto and Lowe agree with him. A penalty was very much deserved today. If it wasn't intentional (and because of Monaco I doubt it) then it was utterly stupid what he did. On the first lap Vetteel could have done the same but instead he went straight on and didn't ruin anyone's race.

Simple fact is that Rosberg knows he can't beat Hamilton in a straight fight, he has never been able to beat him straight out even in ther karting career, so now he is resorting to cheating to win. Today's second chop at the steering wheel was as clear as Jerez 97.

Cheating?????

Nico is winning because Hammy's car doesn't want to finish all of the races!

dj_bytedisaster
25th August 2014, 00:40
And here we have it, he has admitted doing this on purpose. Final proof that Rosberg is actually a cheating c*nt!

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115554/hamilton-rosberg-said-clash-deliberate

Mind you - that info came from Hamilton, so it has all the credibility of a press release signed by Baghdad Bob

steveaki13
25th August 2014, 00:47
Your acting just as bad as the guys you accuse of being Hamilton bias.

I like to read what people trying to be reasonable and rational have to say. Sorry Dj but your attitude is as bias as theirs and thats a shame, as you often have interesting points of view.

Hawkmoon
25th August 2014, 01:10
My take on it is not that Rosberg admitted to deliberately running into Hamilton but rather that he deliberately didn't back off to prove the point that he wasn't going to be pushed around by his teammate. It was still a stupid move by Rosberg as he at no point had a claim on the corner but I don't think that it was a deliberate attempt to hit Hamilton.

Either way Mercedes need to get control over the pair quickly or they'll make what should be an easy task of winning the championship into struggle.

dj_bytedisaster
25th August 2014, 02:23
Your acting just as bad as the guys you accuse of being Hamilton bias.

I like to read what people trying to be reasonable and rational have to say. Sorry Dj but your attitude is as bias as theirs and thats a shame, as you often have interesting points of view.

What world are you living in? If there's an incident in a motor race, there are two people you must not listen to - the two drivers who were involved, so neither Nico's nor Lewis' version has much credibility by default. What's wrong about that assumption?

Doc Austin
25th August 2014, 03:07
Everyone watch Nico's in-car video again. He very clearly turns the wheel over hard and takes aim on Hamilton's rear tire. I did not want to believe that, but I've watched it enough times that I'm convinced it was a deliberate take-out.

At this point, I am not sure anyone can do anything about it. The stewards let it slide, so the FIA will probably let it go too. Mercedes isn't going to penalize their driver that is leading the championship.

Now, just like at Monoco, Hamilton gets hosed and has no recourse. The team talks a big game about
"consequences," but we won't see any. By the time we get to the next race, everyone will be wearing the happy face and proclaiming it's been fixed, and team unity and morale has never been better. It was all a big misunderstanding, right?

If I am Hamilton, I cut a deal with Ron Dennis and spend the rest of the year racing for myself and myself only. If I run into Nico a few times by "accident," well, that's racing, isn't it?

Hawkmoon
25th August 2014, 03:44
Everyone watch Nico's in-car video again. He very clearly turns the wheel over hard and takes aim on Hamilton's rear tire. I did not want to believe that, but I've watched it enough times that I'm convinced it was a deliberate take-out.

At this point, I am not sure anyone can do anything about it. The stewards let it slide, so the FIA will probably let it go too. Mercedes isn't going to penalize their driver that is leading the championship.

Now, just like at Monoco, Hamilton gets hosed and has no recourse. The team talks a big game about
"consequences," but we won't see any. By the time we get to the next race, everyone will be wearing the happy face and proclaiming it's been fixed, and team unity and morale has never been better. It was all a big misunderstanding, right?

If I am Hamilton, I cut a deal with Ron Dennis and spend the rest of the year racing for myself and myself only. If I run into Nico a few times by "accident," well, that's racing, isn't it?

I've watched the Youtube clip a few times and I think Rosberg was merely catching the rear of the car when he turns to the right and clips Hamilton's left rear. Just before he turns right he flicks the wheel left. I think he was simply controlling the rear as he gets back on the power. For mine, it's a racing incident.

airshifter
25th August 2014, 04:09
I've watched the Youtube clip a few times and I think Rosberg was merely catching the rear of the car when he turns to the right and clips Hamilton's left rear. Just before he turns right he flicks the wheel left. I think he was simply controlling the rear as he gets back on the power. For mine, it's a racing incident.

That was more how I saw it. At corner entry Nico even moves left slightly to give Lewis ample room. At impact he steers left to counter steer and avoid the rear getting too far out, then turns back to the right hard to try to tuck in behind Lewis and avoid going off.

Ranger
25th August 2014, 05:44
My take on it is not that Rosberg admitted to deliberately running into Hamilton but rather that he deliberately didn't back off to prove the point that he wasn't going to be pushed around by his teammate. It was still a stupid move by Rosberg as he at no point had a claim on the corner but I don't think that it was a deliberate attempt to hit Hamilton.

Either way Mercedes need to get control over the pair quickly or they'll make what should be an easy task of winning the championship into struggle.

That's how I saw it too.

andyone
25th August 2014, 07:48
if you cant Beat him by Racing. then find some other stuff to do.. clearly Nico could have avoided that collision if he was a great Racer.. he know in his hear that he cant Beat Hamilton in a straight fight.. what lousy Racer.

andyone
25th August 2014, 07:51
Why though, he has 4 world titles and if he believes in himself, he should be positive he can come back.

Especially as he has had some dodgy luck.
Do you know how painful it is to be beated by your rookie Team mate in front of the world? after taking 4 titles? he will soon loose it.

journeyman racer
25th August 2014, 09:07
It's Ricciardo's 4th year, man!

Can you imagine how bad a year RB would have, had Webber still been in the team??? :eek::eek::eek:

Fair dinkum, what a pathetic driver "development" program McLaren must have. When one of their products, in his 8th year, wants to tank in the race, after suffering some adversity. All of this when he benefitted from being at the rear in the previous race, and got the cheapest GP win ever at(Monaco 08) because of being out of position. The defeatist attitude is ridiculous, embarrassing. When you consider the unrelenting desire, tenacity and spirit Alonso has shown (particularly in 10 and 12). Don't ever let a Hamilton disciple tell you Hamilton is better than Alonso, just because of an unexpected result in 07.

Bad luck Andre Lotterer. A bit stiff. Hopefully you'll have another crack along the way. At least you did better than Marco Apicella.

steveaki13
25th August 2014, 10:26
What world are you living in? If there's an incident in a motor race, there are two people you must not listen to - the two drivers who were involved, so neither Nico's nor Lewis' version has much credibility by default. What's wrong about that assumption?

Nothing, if you say.... "I will wait for Mercedes to confirm this" or "Nico could have avoided the whole thing and probably passed Hamilton anyway"

Instead you say "Hamiltons probably lying" and "Nico was right to prove a point and your glad Hamilton's race was ruined"

I know you dislike Hamilton, but really its coming across as borderline Garry Walker. Who you claim is stupid...etc...etc....

Do you really want people to think that of you?

driveace
25th August 2014, 11:50
Dj you really take the biscuit !!!
Everyman and his dog could see that Rosbergs action was deliberate. He was annoyed that he had lost out at the start to not one car but two !
The "Red Mist" took over ,he passes Vettel (Your bestest friend) ,up the hill.He knows that if Hamilton gets away ,he hasnt a cat in hells chance of catching him ,as Hamilton is a faster racer.SO he deliberately turns into him ! You dont need your variofocals on to see that in all the replays we saw ! He is deservedly booed on the podium (Are the spectators who payed thousands of pounds in flights and ticket fees thick?).He could have apologized at that point but is still arrogant in his blame of Hamilton .Who is going to believe that Monaco was not intentional now ? We all gave him the benefit of doubt ,NOT any more ,He is a cheat and a liar .The FIA need to gain some credibility by taking his points from Monaco and Spa away ,and a race ban ,as this is the ONLY way he is going to learn to be a "TEAM PLAYER"

The Black Knight
25th August 2014, 12:04
Dj you really take the biscuit !!!
Everyman and his dog could see that Rosbergs action was deliberate. He was annoyed that he had lost out at the start to not one car but two !
The "Red Mist" took over ,he passes Vettel (Your bestest friend) ,up the hill.He knows that if Hamilton gets away ,he hasnt a cat in hells chance of catching him ,as Hamilton is a faster racer.SO he deliberately turns into him ! You dont need your variofocals on to see that in all the replays we saw ! He is deservedly booed on the podium (Are the spectators who payed thousands of pounds in flights and ticket fees thick?).He could have apologized at that point but is still arrogant in his blame of Hamilton .Who is going to believe that Monaco was not intentional now ? We all gave him the benefit of doubt ,NOT any more ,He is a cheat and a liar .The FIA need to gain some credibility by taking his points from Monaco and Spa away ,and a race ban ,as this is the ONLY way he is going to learn to be a "TEAM PLAYER"

My thoughts exactly! Except, I would say that, for the purpose of consistency, he needs to be excluded from the championship. The last time we saw a driver deliberately try and take out another opponent (Jerez97) he was excluded from the championship. It's even worse here because he actually succeeded in ruining Hamilton's race. If the FIA are to be consistent and, lets face it, they usually aren't, then championship exclusion is in order for the cheat!

Furthermore, I wish people would open their eyes. Clearly someone like DJ never will open their eyes, but you don't always have to look for the good in everything. People are looking for the good in Rosberg in this accident where there is none and most likely they are doing that because all the commentators such as Brundle, Jordan, Coulthard etc bottled it. Davidson hinted at it in a roundabout way by saying about the second turn of the steering wheel - he didn't blatantly come out and say it but he was hinting at it. It's a shame really that F1 has come to this, where now even the presenters are afraid to say what they want to say because of fear of repercussions. They don't want their cushy numbers with them being flown around the world taken away from them. Everyone who is looking at this needs to open their own eyes and stop believing what other so called "experts" believe. As witness by Monaco this year and countless other occasions these so called "experts" are quite often wrong. Form your own opinion. Don't be drones.

henners88
25th August 2014, 12:34
I've just watched the race, earlier than expected and it was certainly entertaining.

Firstly congratulation to Ricciardo for another win this season. The lad is showing he was wasted in the midfield these past years and is really showing his worth now. Another good result against his more successful team mate and I think we'll see some great things from Daniel over the next few years. A great drive from a nice guy too.

Right the Mercedes incident, I think they have a rather difficult situation here and this is certainly becoming more difficult as the season goes on. I don't believe Nico deliberately tried to ruin Hamilton's race and feel he attempted to make a strong point and it backfired. He ruined both of their races, although Lewis had the sharper end of the stick, and he has also ruined his relationship with the team. Toto, Lauda and Lowe have all got behind Hamilton on this one and it's a sticky situation for Nico, but he only has himself to blame. He was behind at the corner and off the racing line, he should have lifted but chose to play hard. Lewis may be down in the dumps about the lost chance, but in the long term I think Nico will lose out from this one. His comments post race have done him no favours and his admittance of intent in the debrief room has certainly created a tension that will run now through to the end of the season. He may not have wanted to take Hamilton out, but he made the choice to are that more of a reality. The boo's on the podium were deserved and it's good the fans have that platform to makes their feelings known rather than these guys being wrapped in cotton wool by their PR machines lol.

The points difference is not the end of the world right now because Nico's karma may be delivered in the remaining 7 races to which Lewis could well benefit. It could go the other way of course and judging on the way things have gone, Lewis has had more than his fair share. There is still plenty to play for though and Lewis is driving at the top of his game, he just needs less of the bad luck and a less clumsy team mate to make this championship a fair one until the end. His qualifying strategy has been his weak point this year and it was disappointing to see his obvious superior speed fail him in Q3. The work needs to be done earlier in the session and the tactic of leaving it late needs to be revised IMO.

This thread has been a laugh though, if only I was a betting man lol.

The Black Knight
25th August 2014, 12:40
I've just watched the race, earlier than expected and it was certainly entertaining.

Firstly congratulation to Ricciardo for another win this season. The lad is showing he was wasted in the midfield these past years and is really showing his worth now. Another good result against his more successful team mate and I think we'll see some great things from Daniel over the next few years. A great drive from a nice guy too.

Right the Mercedes incident, I think they have a rather difficult situation here and this is certainly becoming more difficult as the season goes on. I don't believe Nico deliberately tried to ruin Hamilton's race and feel he attempted to make a strong point and it backfired. He ruined both of their races, although Lewis had the sharper end of the stick, and he has also ruined his relationship with the team. Toto, Lauda and Lowe have all got behind Hamilton on this one and it's a sticky situation for Nico, but he only has himself to blame. He was behind at the corner and off the racing line, he should have lifted but chose to play hard. Lewis may be down in the dumps about the lost chance, but in the long term I think Nico will lose out from this one. His comments post race have done him no favours and his admittance of intent in the debrief room has certainly created a tension that will run now through to the end of the season. He may not have wanted to take Hamilton out, but he made the choice to are that more of a reality. The boo's on the podium were deserved and it's good the fans have that platform to makes their feelings known rather than these guys being wrapped in cotton wool by their PR machines lol.

The points difference is not the end of the world right now because Nico's karma may be delivered in the remaining 7 races to which Lewis could well benefit. It could go the other way of course and judging on the way things have gone, Lewis has had more than his fair share. There is still plenty to play for though and Lewis is driving at the top of his game, he just needs less of the bad luck and a less clumsy team mate to make this championship a fair one until the end. His qualifying strategy has been his weak point this year and it was disappointing to see his obvious superior speed fail him in Q3. The work needs to be done earlier in the session and the tactic of leaving it late needs to be revised IMO.

I agree with everything here except that Nico didn't do it on purpose. Someone at his level knows exactly what they are doing in that situation. Only other thing is that in Q3 Lewis had glazing on his front left brake which caused the speed differential. Not much he could have done about it.

Anyway, the one saving grace from this is now that everyone knows what a lying cheat Nico is, he won't be that marketable. Mercedes might look at this and realize that after what happened in Monaco and Spa, if he goes on to become champ, he'll be about as marketable as a bag of shit from an ebola patient. Hopefuly the FIA will grow a pair of balls and deal with him properly.

steveaki13
25th August 2014, 13:01

I think I agree 100% with everything you say.

The worry is, how fairness be restored? I mean the FIA won't ban him, Mercedes won't ban him.

He may be fully happy with this situation if he is really ruthless.

airshifter
25th August 2014, 13:26
Furthermore, I wish people would open their eyes. Clearly someone like DJ never will open their eyes, but you don't always have to look for the good in everything. People are looking for the good in Rosberg in this accident where there is none and most likely they are doing that because all the commentators such as Brundle, Jordan, Coulthard etc bottled it. Davidson hinted at it in a roundabout way by saying about the second turn of the steering wheel - he didn't blatantly come out and say it but he was hinting at it. It's a shame really that F1 has come to this, where now even the presenters are afraid to say what they want to say because of fear of repercussions. They don't want their cushy numbers with them being flown around the world taken away from them. Everyone who is looking at this needs to open their own eyes and stop believing what other so called "experts" believe. As witness by Monaco this year and countless other occasions these so called "experts" are quite often wrong. Form your own opinion. Don't be drones.

Did it ever occur to you that some of us have formed our opinions without outside influence yet we still don't agree with your view? I really don't care much what opinions others form in everyday life and look at things for myself. To suggest that only your opinion is correct and anyone else is subject to outside influence making their decisions is rather shallow and insulting in my opinion.

A person could just as readily take sources that thought it was a racing incident and use it as an example to support their view. But if a person if viewing something without bias that would be just as shallow as saying that a commentator, former driver, whoever was the person that convinced people of an opposing opinion.

If everyone forms their own opinion, it's often still true that what some feel is black and white others will feel is grey area.

henners88
25th August 2014, 14:42
If Nico had admitted he deliberately tried to take Lewis out, I would be fully behind an investigation. He didn't though, he said his intention was to make a point and show Lewis he was committed to the corner. He messed it up at great cost to his race and the team. He's created a tense situation and one where the team could throw a load of the emotional support behind Hamilton. It's not a nice situation for Nico and his comments haven't helped. He could recover some face by making the apology that is due, but he's fighting the championship so I doubt that will come.

I don't believe he did what he did on purpose, but he's handled it badly and I hope for that he suffers somehow. It would only take a mechanical failure and Lewis will be back on a level playing field. This season continues to hot up and I have no doubt the more deserving driver will win in the end. :)

zako85
25th August 2014, 15:40
Well, what should I say?

What an awesome and unpredictable race. But what I like the most about it is that it will generate buzz on the forums for many weeks after the fact. Can I have a Coke with my popcorn? ;)

steveaki13
25th August 2014, 15:58
It has also made the rest of the season spicy.

I mean can anyone see this season passing without another incident somewhere?

henners88
25th August 2014, 16:29
Had this incident been the other way round, we'd see a lot of sympathy for Nico and unfortunately much of the opinions on this are formed over many years, not just because of what we've seen in Spa. A few more of these incidents for Nico against other drivers and he'll be on the hit list. I remember him clipping Schumacher at the same corner a few years ago and he was briefly public enemy number one. Fast forward and put Hamilton in front and it's all gravy. We're a very fickle bunch aren't we? lol it's fun to read though.

The Black Knight
25th August 2014, 17:34
Interesting how Magnussen gets a penalty and he didn't even make contact with Alonso. Yet, Rosberg takes his team mate out of it and nothing happens. Of course, I agree with the penalty, Magnussen did break the rules, but if that warrants a penalty, the Lewis and Nico one most definitely does.

janneppi
25th August 2014, 19:35
I don't see Magnussen's move differ much what Hamilton did to Rosberg before their collision, or how he blocked Rosberg in the previous race. Neither gave room for the driver trying to pass on the outside. Maybe Hamilton should have done like Alonso and gesture vividly at the other driver. ;)

Feels to me bit like FIA nudging the young guy back in line, so not bother the big boys.

Warriwa
26th August 2014, 06:11
I think Nico is absolutely ecstatic. The championship has gone from a possible four point difference (if Hamilton won) out to 29 points. I remember how he celebrated after the Monaco pole so I have no doubt he will be positively thrilled with this result. In my opinion he is as ruthless as it gets. Results are his goal. He couldn't care less if the fans or his bosses like him. His very first race he tried to put his team mate in the wall. Utterly ruthless but perceived as a nice guy.

journeyman racer
26th August 2014, 15:20
I tell ya. The Hamiltonites are on top form! I was going to quote all the irrational comments and laugh. But it became too many, too overwhelming to bother! Rosberg was clearly in best position to avoid contact. But what the Hamiltonettes fail to acknowledge is that he baulked at the last split second. That's why the wing was only clipped instead of being smashed off!

Too many caught up in the sideshow, some of you. It's disappointing that itt, it's taken til this post to question the sensitivity off the collision, and the relevance of the wings. For the nature of the contact, the consequences were disproportionate. For what was barely a brush. It effectively ended Hamilton race, and compromised Rosberg's so much, it warranted an unplanned pit stop. That incident should be a catalyst to review the regs for the front wing.

If the regs were fair dinkum. That incident would still allow Hamilton to continue on uncompromised, and Rosberg to lose a touch of performance. But not enough to warrant an unplanned pit stop. It was a nothing incident, but has got all the Hamiltonettes panties full of sand!

What are FIA/F1 scared of? What Newey thinks? That he'll leave? Who cares? He's overrated anyway! Build a car where the regs aren't aero biased Newey, and see how you go? Ya hack! As if he'd leave F1. He'd have massive relevance issues.

AndyL
26th August 2014, 16:05
Too many caught up in the sideshow, some of you. It's disappointing that itt, it's taken til this post to question the sensitivity off the collision, and the relevance of the wings. For the nature of the contact, the consequences were disproportionate. For what was barely a brush. It effectively ended Hamilton race, and compromised Rosberg's so much, it warranted an unplanned pit stop. That incident should be a catalyst to review the regs for the front wing.

I find it hard to understand why this incident in particular should prompt a change in the technical regulations. Punctures have been a feature of motor racing since day 1, and broken front wings have been a frequent occurrence in F1 for decades. You can't crash into each other in F1 cars, if you do it'll usually ruin your day and the other guy's. What's the problem with that? There's always touring car racing for those who prefer to see bumping and barging.

journeyman racer
26th August 2014, 16:19
Come on Bud? Punctures due to excessive wear or due to natural debris? Ok. Breaking wings? Inevitable. That moment was not in the same galaxy of bumping and barging. Again, there's no way that warranted Hamilton's race to be compromised so much. If Hamilton race was to be compromised. Ideally, Rosberg would really have to get the elbows out. Then it'd be easier to justify giving him a penalty. That was nothing. It's like a footballer getting injured and missing 3 matches, due to a bit of inadvertent shoulder bumping in the box, during a corner. It would be in everyone's best interests, if that type accident allowed Hamilton to go on, and Rosberg to miss a minimal amount of time to not warrant an unplanned stop.

henners88
26th August 2014, 17:56
I think Nico is absolutely ecstatic. The championship has gone from a possible four point difference (if Hamilton won) out to 29 points. I remember how he celebrated after the Monaco pole so I have no doubt he will be positively thrilled with this result. In my opinion he is as ruthless as it gets. Results are his goal. He couldn't care less if the fans or his bosses like him. His very first race he tried to put his team mate in the wall. Utterly ruthless but perceived as a nice guy.
He's certainly gained some balls this year and no doubt is trying his best to win his first world title. It's his best chance to date. Not sure he has gone away from Spa ecstatic though. He may have gone away satisfied that the pints difference has increased, but he's created a fallout within the team that is potentially the worse one yet. It's one thing not letting your team mate through, but putting them out of the race on the second lap is another matter. It must be similar to how Vettel felt when he left Malaysia last year. He got the result but not the support.

For us it's easy to move on though, what else can you do? Nothing can be changed and there's no point dwelling on it, although it's interesting to discuss. Plenty of points to play for and perhaps unreliability heading Rosberg's way? We don't know what's around the corner. :)

andyone
26th August 2014, 19:10
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/27/u4yzy4ad.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

journeyman racer
27th August 2014, 06:03
I find it hard to understand why this incident in particular should prompt a change in the technical regulations. Punctures have been a feature of motor racing since day 1, and broken front wings have been a frequent occurrence in F1 for decades. You can't crash into each other in F1 cars, if you do it'll usually ruin your day and the other guy's. What's the problem with that? There's always touring car racing for those who prefer to see bumping and barging.
Are you satisfied that a minor incident had disproportionate consequences, particularly for Hamilton?

The Black Knight
27th August 2014, 09:24
He's certainly gained some balls this year and no doubt is trying his best to win his first world title. It's his best chance to date. Not sure he has gone away from Spa ecstatic though. He may have gone away satisfied that the pints difference has increased, but he's created a fallout within the team that is potentially the worse one yet. It's one thing not letting your team mate through, but putting them out of the race on the second lap is another matter. It must be similar to how Vettel felt when he left Malaysia last year. He got the result but not the support.

For us it's easy to move on though, what else can you do? Nothing can be changed and there's no point dwelling on it, although it's interesting to discuss. Plenty of points to play for and perhaps unreliability heading Rosberg's way? We don't know what's around the corner. :)

Well, to be honest, I feel the only way for Mercedes to ensure this won't happen again is to give cheating Nico a race off and bring a reserve driver in. That way Hamilton will win the next race. That will settle the points difference and send a message to both drivers of the consequences of hitting your teammate. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen, and Nico will actually get away with a slap on the wrist for this one.

AndyL
27th August 2014, 11:09
Are you satisfied that a minor incident had disproportionate consequences, particularly for Hamilton?

Who it had consequences for should have no bearing on whether the regulations need to be changed.
Similar minor incidents have big consequences for someone in almost every race. It's in the nature of racing cutting-edge open-wheel cars with wings. I don't understand why this incident suddenly means a rule change is needed.

jens
27th August 2014, 14:55
Well, so much talk here that I don't try to understand all of it, because it would create a headache.

So I try to make my point across short. I don't see deliberate action from Rosberg. Unlike Monaco, where I suspect it might have been the case.

But Belgium - I have seen many times drivers losing bits of front wing like that, while clipping the rear wheel of the driver ahead. The risk for the driver behind is just too big, you are very likely to damage your front wing, while there is no guarantee the driver in front gets a puncture. On most occasions they don't get a puncture.

Basically you need to be lucky to get a positive outcome for yourself to clip a driver like that. Hence it made no sense for Rosberg to try it deliberately, because by the "law of averages" he was likely to get away from the situation worse. He got fortunate there.

steveaki13
27th August 2014, 19:38
Well, so much talk here that I don't try to understand all of it, because it would create a headache.

So I try to make my point across short. I don't see deliberate action from Rosberg. Unlike Monaco, where I suspect it might have been the case.

But Belgium - I have seen many times drivers losing bits of front wing like that, while clipping the rear wheel of the driver ahead. The risk for the driver behind is just too big, you are very likely to damage your front wing, while there is no guarantee the driver in front gets a puncture. On most occasions they don't get a puncture.

Basically you need to be lucky to get a positive outcome for yourself to clip a driver like that. Hence it made no sense for Rosberg to try it deliberately, because by the "law of averages" he was likely to get away from the situation worse. He got fortunate there.

Sense Jens

Doc Austin
27th August 2014, 20:18
Well, to be honest, I feel the only way for Mercedes to ensure this won't happen again is to give cheating Nico a race off and bring a reserve driver in. That way Hamilton will win the next race.

That might work unless the reserve driver punts Hamilton, or Hamilton otherwise has a mechanical DNF. Then Ricciardo probably wins and now he truly is back in the hunt.

That will settle the points difference and send a message to both drivers of the consequences of hitting your teammate.

Maybe even better is that you make Nico the #2 driver and make him support Lewis until they are level on points, or at least until Nico is only ahead as much as he was going into the race. That way Hamilton advances and Nico doesn't give up any ground to Ricciardo.

You can't set Nico down because that makes him vulnerable to Ricciardo, points wise. You just want to assure Hamilton gets back the points he lost to Nico from Sunday. The only way I can see to do that is make Nico support Hamilton until the damage is undone.

Mercedes needs to wield the iron fist at this point and make both drivers know they won't tolerate any more of this. As it is, they will probably have to fire one of them at the season's end anyway. There is no way to repair the damage between the two. They don't trust each other and the team can't trust them not to take each other out. The drama has to be dragging the entire team down.

Once they are level on points, make them take turns until both championships are out of the competition's reach, and then let them race. Clearly you can't trust them to race each other cleanly, so you can't let them race until both championships are tucked away.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen, and Nico will actually get away with a slap on the wrist for this one

Sadly you are probably right.

I would not be surprised if Hamilton has already cut a deal with McLaren.

dj_bytedisaster
27th August 2014, 20:33

Yes, because it had the same consequences for several drivers before him. He is hardly the first who collected a puncture from someone else's front wing. But as Jens said, most of the times the tyre stays okay and only the guy behind has a problem. He was simply unlucky.

What he did however cause himself is Nico's bad attitude. He has been smack-talking his team mate since before Monaco (all this 'Im hungrier, because he grew up as a rich kid' junk) Since very early in the season Lewis has tried to destabilize Nico by playing mind-games. That reminds me very much of Piquet and that man was a truly hateable individual.
Add to that, that Lewis is hardly a stranger to aggressive moves on his team mate. His 'defense' in Bahrain really pushed the boundaries of what is 'acceptable forcefulness'. The same goes for his running Nico off the road in Hungary. Up to now Nico had always backed out and Lewis had deluded himself into believing that Nico was a push-over. The thing that broke the camel's back was Lewis's refusal to let Nico pass when asked to do so. The writing was on the wall. This time Nico didn't back off. Lewis had relied on it and lost out. It was a hard move, but neither deliberate nor previously unheard of.

steveaki13
27th August 2014, 21:32
Anyone know what happened to Pastor Maldonado on Sunday?

I mean the commentators said Lotterer had stopped after 1 or 2 laps. It was only then when looking at the rolling positions that I saw he had retired even before Lotterer. All it says online is Exhaust

Strange this day and age to not see or hear anything about a car retiring. Back in the 90s you would not see evidence of half the cars in the race whatever.

It was like rolling back the years

journeyman racer
28th August 2014, 11:05
Who it had consequences for should have no bearing on whether the regulations need to be changed.
Jesus Christ! Derr! It just happened to be that Hamilton was the victim the other day. The fact is, it was a soft touch. It was not of Hamilton's doing, but he was unnecessarily inconvenienced by it. There's no reason why a leading car should be vulnerable in that situation. The only consequence that should've happened from that incident, was some minor damage to Rosberg's wing. Otherwise, play on.

Similar minor incidents have big consequences for someone in almost every race.
If you were asked to list them. You wouldn't be able to.

It's in the nature of racing cutting-edge open-wheel cars with wings. I don't understand why this incident suddenly means a rule change is needed.
It's alright being Mr Macho Man "This is open wheel racing/F1. That's how it is.". But with this attitude. You have to wait until some poor **** dies from that type of incident to then make a change. You'll then ask "They should've seen this coming and made changes before."

Yes, because it had the same consequences for several drivers before him. He is hardly the first who collected a puncture from someone else's front wing..
Yeah, well. Everyone here knows you were satisfied with the outcome. Even before posting it.

AndyL
28th August 2014, 14:08
If you were asked to list them. You wouldn't be able to.

Hmm, no, you're right, I can't immediately think of an occasion where two cars touched and one or the other ended up with a puncture or needed a new front wing. I guess it's never happened before.

journeyman racer
28th August 2014, 15:18
Cherry picking an argument and avoiding the point duly noted.

Bagwan
28th August 2014, 16:16
Before they decide to change the configuration of the front wings , I believe they should deal with the issue of being able to see a front wheel beside their sidepod .

That's not a shot at Lewis , by the way .
He knew Nico was there halfway through the corner , having taken an inside line at the first corner in the chicane .

But , the last he saw of him was when he dropped back , lifting to take the corner on his own normal racing line .
Lewis was naturally upset , as he had interpreted this as Nico backing out , but Nico didn't .

Another way of looking at this is to see both drivers making an assumption , and only one of them was right .
It was Nico who assumed correctly .

Lewis assumed he would back out . He was wrong .

And Nico assumed that Lewis would assume exactly that , and was correct .

Neither should assume that the other isn't racing hard .

As to the wing configuration , though , had Hamilton had more vision in the situation , he might have been able to react to Nico still being there .
Perhaps , at least a second slant on the out side of the mirrors could give them more peripheral vision .

yodasarmpit
30th August 2014, 13:57

yodasarmpit
30th August 2014, 14:00
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/27/u4yzy4ad.jpg

I really like this.