PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee

FormerFF
18th August 2014, 04:04
First, nice job by Power. He looked in control all day.

If I were making up the schedule, I'd leave this one off next year. Attendance isn't very good, and that thing with the tires falling off so much is kind of embarrassing. Move it to Road America, I suspect you'll get at least twice as many people to show up.

airshifter
18th August 2014, 06:04
Agreed on both points.

Between the tires and the dirty air, all a person really had to do was hold off a car for a few laps. By then the tires advantage was gone. That's what Power did well the entire race, even when it looked like others had a tire advantage. That last charge by Montoya might have had a chance if traffic didn't play out the way it did, but even if he did catch up the only hope was really to run Power low on fuel (doubtful) and make a move.

Overall a fairly clean race for almost everyone. Shame Hunter-Reay got crappy stops, he was really moving through the field well. Same for Kanaan, with his stop not that bad at the end but JPM got a blazing quick stop in.

Doc Austin
18th August 2014, 17:34
Firestone built the performance drop-off into the tire on purpose, to spice up "the show." To me this is no better than DRS or handford devices or push-to-pass or any of the other fake things we have seen in racing that are supposed to make the racing better.

Once they got 10 laps or so on the tire it was the same for everyone, so at least there was nothing fake about the finish. The best driver and fastest car won so it's hard to complain.

Milwaukee has to remain on the schedule. It's the oldest track in the country and there is too much heritage to let it go. It would be the equivalent of dropping Silverstone or Spa if we did not go back.

journeyman racer
19th August 2014, 11:13
Is that Power's first genuine in on a oval?

gm99
19th August 2014, 11:44
Is that Power's first genuine in on a oval?

Fontana last year?

journeyman racer
19th August 2014, 11:57
Didn't he benefit from a favourable draw then?

gm99
19th August 2014, 14:18

No, not that I remember. He qualified on pole and won the race. I think what you mean is the Texas race in 2011, consisted of two heats, of which Power won the second.

FormerFF
20th August 2014, 05:08

I wouldn't think that starting position is all that important at Fontana anyway.

journeyman racer
20th August 2014, 15:14
I don't follow Indycar closely. What gm99 said, is what I was thinking of.

edv
21st August 2014, 01:48
Also good news about Fisher - Carpenter joining up as a new multi-car team.

I will call their car the CarpFish, though.

Starter
21st August 2014, 04:14
I've been away from most IndyCar news for a bit. That's an interesting development. They should both do better with sharing setups, etc.