PDA

View Full Version : Driver bang for buck...

Whyzars
13th August 2014, 08:19
I thought this was a good write-up.

Its an Australian newspaper of course so finding a formula that puts Ricciardo on top of the world is not a surprise. :D

I don't know how accurate the dollar amounts are but would assume they must be close.

I thought that Michael Schumacher had a year where he topped $50million so are salaries down on what they used to be?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/motor-sport/sebastian-vettels-f1-salary-29-times-more-than-daniel-ricciardo-report/story-fnii0ilb-1227023032812

Jag_Warrior
13th August 2014, 19:35
I think it's more that the driver talent is down from where it was with Schumacher (and I was not a Schumacher fan). Love him or hate him at the time, one cannot disagree that he was able to strategize (while driving the car) and accomplish things that no current driver on the grid can. And Michael did it across various formula changes. I thought Vettel had "it", but clearly he is lacking something when presented with a car that he cannot come to terms with. In a better car, maybe Alonso comes closest... but I think he lacks the technical and charismatic abilities to drive the team the way Schumacher could. Course, maybe it's that the "perfect storm" guys that were helping Michael at Benetton and Ferrari aren't there for Alonso.

Good find. I enjoyed reading that. But the article sort of misses that salaries are based (largely) on past performance. I doubt even Ricciardo himself could have predicted how well he has done this year relative to Vettel - so the salary comparison doesn't really mean as much. But still, good read.

P.S. I think the fact that Marcus Ericsson gets paid anything is the real shocker here. To get anything above minimum wage, he must have one heck of an agent! :D

Duncan
18th August 2014, 07:22
For sure, Ricciardo is excellent bang for the buck, but the analysis looking at points per dollar of salary is rather flawed, since it doesn't take into account the car that they're driving.

One of the best drivers in terms of bang-for-buck right now has to be Jules Bianchi. He's done insanely well given what he has to work with, and I'm hoping to see him in a decent piece of machinery some time soon.

Jag, what's your beef with Ericsson? I know he hasn't done that much in F1, but he is driving the biggest heap of junk on the grid. He does have a pretty solid track record in lower tier formulas...

Doc Austin
18th August 2014, 17:35
I have this suspicion Ricciardo will probably be making more money next year.

Storm
21st August 2014, 08:55
Most bang for the buck? Maldonado should be at the top - he actually brings the money in the team to bang into people :p: