PDA

View Full Version : Why do they have to ruin it?

tommy2k8
28th July 2014, 10:32
Yesterdays race was quite good, and yet, from what I read in the paper this morning, they always find one thing to ruin it afterwards. I read that Lewis Hamilton was asked to let Nico pass. He defied team orders three times, which was a very good decision for the sport. No wonder F1 audiences are dwindling! It's called racing. Team orders is not racing!

Hawkmoon
28th July 2014, 10:44
Team orders may not be racing but they are very much a part of F1 racing and probably always will be. Even when team orders were explicitly banned they still happened. They're not going away so you may as well accept them, though you certainly don't have to like them.

steveaki13
28th July 2014, 11:03
Team orders may not be racing but they are very much a part of F1 racing and probably always will be. Even when team orders were explicitly banned they still happened. They're not going away so you may as well accept them, though you certainly don't have to like them.

This

Team orders have always been and will always be a part of F1. It mystifies me why so many people think team orders have only existed within the last 10 years or something.

In fact I would guess (no way of knowing) that team orders are generally less used now than at any time in history. Except 2003-2011 or whenever the ban on them was lifted.

journeyman racer
28th July 2014, 12:19
Team orders have always been and will always be a part of F1. It mystifies me why so many people think team orders have only existed within the last 10 years or something.
Memory can't go back further?

This wouldn't have happened without radio communication. In principle, I'd have those banned.

Ranger
28th July 2014, 13:09
Lord knows what would have happened if forums and social media were around in the days of drivers taking over their team-mate's cars once their own had blown up mid-race! :\

gm99
28th July 2014, 13:23
Memory can't go back further?

This wouldn't have happened without radio communication. In principle, I'd have those banned.

Not sure if serious??? AFAIK, there was no radio communication in the 1950s, yet there seem to have been quite a number of team orders in those years - just ask Sir Stirling Moss.

Tazio
28th July 2014, 15:08
Reality is that the formula that F1 has evolved into is one where machinery, especially electronic components need constant monitoring, and racing compromise. This season with the dramatic change in the formula, teams have got to use all possible methods to guarantee they make it to the end of the season without exceeding their allotment of limited components. Tire wear and fuel usage also have to fit into the equation. You have a racing team with engineers whose livelihood depends on getting the best result possible for the team (as well as each car). At times the equity of their decisions to the drivers in specific situations seem unfair, but it is the reality that F1 has become. Yesterdays race is a perfect example of a team being confronted with a decision where prerace strategy was practically useless, and teams had to react. Hamilton made a decision to not accept the order, that seems to have worked in his favor, so it was a good decision for his title aspirations. He is the one driving the car, and ultimately makes the decision, and then lives with the consequences. I think in this particular situation the team may have been a little too clinical in their decision making, and lost the plot a little in that decision, but that is only my opinion.

schmenke
28th July 2014, 15:39
... Team orders is not racing!

???

Formula 1 has always been a constructors' series, where the team’s points dictate prize money. Maximizing team points requires decisions that contribute to the team’s success.

airshifter
28th July 2014, 15:52
Team orders will always be part of Formula 1. I don't like it myself, but that's the way it is and at least now it's legal and usually done out in the open. That saves us guessing when some cryptic radio transmission takes place and then two cars on a team switch positions, leaving us wondering if there was a problem or an order. But I do have to admit that it was funny when teams gave obvious orders when they were banned, and then tried to play innocent. :)

I'd like to see all of the actual radio transmissions from Mercedes myself. There seems to be several versions of what took place, with some articles suggesting it wasn't a blatant order but a strong suggestion.

In either case I'm glad Hamilton didn't yield. I don't think Nico had the pace to help his race any more other than taking a position from Lewis if he had slowed for him. There is no point at all in screwing a driver like that when the team is dominating in the championship regardless. Let them race and find out who can really deliver on track, because things change and next year you might need drivers that can fight hard to win that title.

Doc Austin
28th July 2014, 17:05
Either let them race or hire a bunch of Barrichellos.

steveaki13
28th July 2014, 19:32
Either let them race or hire a bunch of Barrichellos.

I liked Barrichello, winning 11 races ain't bad in most people's motorsport careers :)

Doc Austin
29th July 2014, 00:04
I liked Rubens too. It was just a manner of speaking. It would have been more respectful for me to say hire a #1 and a #2 and be done with it.

A lot of us were really excited when Rubens came to Indycars, but he did not do real well. To be fair, his car was not real good. The fans loved him though. It was great fun to watch him and Tony Kanaan together.

journeyman racer
29th July 2014, 13:40
The only way you could get rid of team orders, is to have single car teams. No factory support for multiple teams. It's the manufacturer/constructor that competes and the drivers are secondary, even if they get the glory.

Jag_Warrior
29th July 2014, 16:53
The more this goes on and the more we see factions within Mercedes favoring one driver over the other, the WDC battle seems to be coming down to Toto Wolff (Nico Rosberg) vs. Niki Lauda (Lewis Hamilton). Me, I'm putting my money on King Rat to win in the end. Just makes sense to play the long standing odds: a guy who has been on fire, should be dead and has had parts of his head ripped off vs some fancy man who fell off his little bicycle and thinks he now knows what "extreme living" is all about? I really think this team orders incident will turn up the heat in the battle between the two factions within Mercedes after the break. And in my worthless opinion, if Lewis loses the WDC, I see that as the catalyst for some major seat swapping drama going forward. And I'm OK with that. The more drama the better. :)

Doc Austin
29th July 2014, 17:07
Take out the radios and take off the mirrors. No pit boards and no pit stops except for flats or other damage. Then we'll see who was what..........kind of like the old days with Clark, Stewart, Hill, Rindt, etc.

Throw the green ands isolate the driver from everything except his competition. It would be epic.

Doc Austin
29th July 2014, 17:14
vs some fancy man who fell off his little bicycle and thinks he now knows what "extreme living" is all about?

Not only that, but his wifey is the family F1 driver! Macho!

Jag_Warrior
29th July 2014, 17:39
Giancarlo Fisichella is pulling for Susie to get a race seat at Williams harder than Toto. Shouldn't take her more than a couple of putt-putt/crash-filled outings for people to COMPLETELY forget about his disastrous time in the Ferrari a few years back.

Between the current drive for gender based political correctness in F1 and the silly gimmicks, I figure F1 will be all but unwatchable within 3-5 years.