PDA

View Full Version : Driver(s) of the Race - Hungary

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 15:55
Wow.

Driver and Drivers of the race

N4D13
27th July 2014, 15:56
I think Alonso, by a country mile. He's F1's first among equals and today he's proven it again.

Ricciardo, Hamilton and Rosberg did spectacularly well. The first two massively benefitted from the early safety car to mask their bad starts, but other than that, they drove faultlessly. Rosberg also did really well but that SC destroyed his race after he had earned a massive advantage in the first laps.

veeten
27th July 2014, 15:59
Riccairdo.

A master class in how strategy and driving skill from such a young driver can outdo even the best drivers.

donKey jote
27th July 2014, 15:59
Alonso :D
Ric
(Ham) -> lucked it with the SC and couldn't pass Alo, otherwise great drive

Ranger
27th July 2014, 16:03
Several were brilliant but I have to give it to Alonso.

Garry Walker
27th July 2014, 16:06
Hamilton

Mentions also to Alonso, Ricciardo and Kimi.

gm99
27th July 2014, 16:07
Ricciardo for that great pass on Alonso.
Alonso for holding on to that 2nd place.

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 16:12
Overall Driver of the Race:
Fernando Alonso - What was a Ferrari doing second? How was Alonso still going on such old soft tyres and how did he drive all this. He would have won, if Lewis held of Ric. Awesome drive and he deserves a better Ferrari or a Merc/Red Bull drive.

Other Mentions:
Daniel Ricciardo - Just behind Alonso IMO, but a great drive and another fine win.

Lewis Hamilton - Struggled a bit by the end and spun on Lap 1, but Pitlane to 3rd is amazing, helped by a SC.

Vergne - I thought he done really well in a Toro Rosso. Was 2nd and under no pressure in mid race and scored a couple more points.

EDIT: I have removed Nico Rosberg. I feel actually after looking at it, Nico did an average job today

Hawkmoon
27th July 2014, 16:14
Any of the top 3 with an honourable for Vergne. Keeping the Mercs behind in a Torro Rosso is a neat trick.

dj_bytedisaster
27th July 2014, 16:17
Alonso, no contest. Taking that lump of pig iron to second makes Jesus walking on water look like a lame stunt.

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 16:37
I will add a well done to Kimi

Tazio
27th July 2014, 16:42
I thought the top 7 all had very good races. I'm including Massa (who is notoriously bad in the wet) for beating down Bottas, and Kimi for going 17th to 7th in a POS, helping his team to their best points haul of the season (I think). I'm glad Kimi earned his paycheck today!

Mia 01
27th July 2014, 19:07
Daniel Ricciardo got my vote for the best. Then alonso and suprise Kimi!!

pino
27th July 2014, 19:49
Alonso
Ric
Kimi

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 20:08
Daniel Ricciardo got my vote for the best. Then alonso and suprise Kimi!!

Yes Well done to Kimi. His best drive this season? Must be close. I really hope he can do well in Spa, where he has traditionally done well

Duncan
27th July 2014, 23:01
Lots of great driving today.

Hamilton, Ricciardo, Alonso. Not necessarily in that order.

Hamilton for finishing on the podium from starting not only in the pit lane, but behind Magnussen in the pit lane. Before the race, everybody was talking about how he was screwed because of the difficultly of overtaking at the Hungaroring, but he was able to make a whole bunch of passes in making his way forwards.

Ricciardo really must be making Vettel nervous by now.

Alonso for somehow bringing in his bright red heap of junk in a podium position.

airshifter
28th July 2014, 03:15
For me Alonso. There is no way that car should be on the podium with the class of drivers and cars currently, but he put it there again this season, and did so on shot tires.

The rest are hard to rate really. With the exception of Rosberg going backwards, everyone in the top 10 earned their money today. Button landing in 10th after that stupid tire call by the team is still working hard to get there in that pig of a car.

The Black Knight
28th July 2014, 03:56
I think Alonso, by a country mile. He's F1's first among equals and today he's proven it again.

Ricciardo, Hamilton and Rosberg did spectacularly well. The first two massively benefitted from the early safety car to mask their bad starts, but other than that, they drove faultlessly. Rosberg also did really well but that SC destroyed his race after he had earned a massive advantage in the first laps.

Alonso - shows today why he is still the most complete driver on the current grid. Was gutted he didn't win but only him and Hamilton or maybe Rosberg could do what he did today with that car.

Hamilton - benefitted from the safety car yes but it's not like Abu Dhabi where Vettel benefitted from about 3 safety cars and got third. Lewis worked hard, made one mistake but that's it. Faultless otherwise. I'm also very proud of him that he ignored the team orders.

Ricciardo - what a star he is turning out to be. He may very well walk with the greats. I look forward to seeing more of what this exceptionally likeable guy can do! So happy he is still showing how average and overrated Vettel is too :)

Vergne - honorable mention to him for putting the Torro Rosso somewhere it should have never been at the front of the grid!

Great race :)

henners88
28th July 2014, 09:16
Some great drives from quite a few drivers.

Ricciardo, Hamilton, Alonso, Rosberg, Vergne in that order.

Daniel is really putting the pressure on at Red Bull and none of us expected him to perform this well against Vettel. Hamilton has always had a knack of working his way through the field and had a great drive from the pitlane. Alonso had some juicy wheel to wheel battles and has been a pleasure to watch these last few races.

schmenke
28th July 2014, 15:46
Hamilton - Pit lane to podium. Spectacular drive.

Alonso, for reasons already mentioned.

Ricciardo - brilliant overtaking. A joy to watch a future champion.

Kimi - Finally a decent effort from him.

dj_bytedisaster
28th July 2014, 17:59
Hamilton - benefitted from the safety car yes but it's not like Abu Dhabi where Vettel benefitted from about 3 safety cars and got third. Lewis worked hard, made one mistake but that's it. Faultless otherwise. I'm also very proud of him that he ignored the team orders.

Explain that logic to me please. First of all, Abu Dhabi had TWO safety cars, the same as yesterday's race. Lewis had the additional advantage that the first three were screwed over by the first safety car. That were three fast cars he could over take much earlier than was to be expected. When Vettel profits from two SCs to come 3rd it's nothing special and when Hamilton does the same we all have to praise the Lord, too? Sorry, that doesn't wash. Not to mention that in 2012 The RB was not even remotely as dominant and ridiculously superior to anything else as this year's Merc.
Oh, and I would call nearly parking the car in the Armco hardly a faultless race.

Funny as well that you are proud of him ignoring team orders. I bet 30 mins with the search function yields a post of yours where you weren't as benevolent towards other drivers.

Storm
28th July 2014, 19:25
Alonso :D
Ric
(Ham) -> lucked it with the SC and couldn't pass Alo, otherwise great drive

This

henners88
28th July 2014, 21:27
Funny as well that you are proud of him ignoring team orders. I bet 30 mins with the search function yields a post of yours where you weren't as benevolent towards other drivers.
We could all use the search function on here to find some gems. I reminded you of that earlier in the season when you were making identical allowances for Vettel while spending previous years lambasting drivers you don't like for similar incidents. It's really best not to go there DJ as we are ALL biased to a degree. ;)

steveaki13
28th July 2014, 23:05
We could all use the search function on here to find some gems. I reminded you of that earlier in the season when you were making identical allowances for Vettel while spending previous years lambasting drivers you don't like for similar incidents. It's really best not to go there DJ as we are ALL biased to a degree. ;)

We are all biased, but some are more biased than others - ;) I believe George Orwell said this. Or something similar

Doc Austin
28th July 2014, 23:36
Funny as well that you are proud of him ignoring team orders

One is either their own man, or they are not. What's so hard to understand about that?

You fight your whole life to scrape into F1 and when you make it some suit is telling you to let someone pass you? "Sod off" (which you can actually say in America) would be my response, or even better "tough luck."

Things become a bit different when it's crunch time, If not letting your team mate pass you in the last race loses him the championship to another team, you just screwed your own career and rightfully so. Millions of dollars are out there and you have to be smart about it. If you can't win the championship, it becomes your job to make sure your teammate does.

It was like with Vettel and Webber (during Vettel's first championship). I thought it was time for Vettel to support Webber because he only needed just a little help and the title was the Aussie's. Vettel wasn't having any of it, and it earned him his first championship. I thought Red Bull was crazy to let Vettel steal points from Webber with a championship almost in hand, yet with Alonso so close, and it was not until Vettel actually crossed under the checkered flag in the last race that it was settled.

That was the year Webber and Vettel took each other out in Turkey, and a week later Vettel stupidly crashed himself and Jensen at Spa. People was saying the German was fast, but wild, immature and mistake prone. Maybe not even Formula One material after all. I remember people saying all those things, but I remember people saying the same things about Scheckter, Depallier, and yeah, even Jpchen Rindt.

There was talk Vettel would not be back the next year. So yeah, now you think I am going to bend over and take it from Mark? Not likely. From that moment on until halfway through the next season, Vettel never again put a wheel wrong, and it was Webber who squandered his best championship hope.

I was not a Red Bull fan when Vettel won his first championship. I thought they were stupid and throwing away a sure championship just so they could appear to be "sporting." However, the way they did it, and they way they do everything else, they are fast becoming my team. The fact that Ricciardo is schooling the four time German world champion in essentially a German (Austrian) team proves they play no favorites.

With Mercedes, the perfect season is gone, so let Nico and Lewis kill each other if that is what they want. I would respect Mercedes a lot more if they just let them hammer away and let the best man win. The championship is all but completely out of reach for anyone else, so make them play nice for a few races, and when the others are mathematically out, bring out the long knives and let's see some freakin' blood.

Doc Austin
28th July 2014, 23:53
We had a really cool sportscar series in the US during the late 60/early70 called the Canadian American Challenge" (CanAm). John Surtees won the championship n 1966, but after that, Bruce McLaren built such a great car that no one could touch him or teammate Denny Hulme. They even let Chris Amon race the spare once and they finished 1, 2, 3.

It was pointless for them to race, simply because it was SURE money in a very lucrative series. The only solution was to take turns. Eventually we called it "The Bruce and Denny show," because that is exactly what it was.

They did not even try to race each other. They would lock up the front row, streak away and then whomever's turn it was to win went to the front. The next race it was the other driver. You might notice one year Bruce was Champion and then Denny and then Bruce again, like....you know, they planned it that way.

Eventually Denny broke down at the wrong time and Bruce won Denny's championship by accident, which some people say haunted McLaren to his grave. They were such great friends that McLaren felt horrible.

As you can see, there are times when it is best to have team orders. Ferrari used this to huge effect with Schumacher/Barrachello. Not only did Mikey have the best car, he also had the best jam car bottling everyone up behind him.

There are other cases worth pointing out as well. François Cervert spent a career in Jackie Stewart's wheel tracks watching and learning, without ever even thinking about making a move on him. It was a fair exchang because Cervert would head into 1974 driving the champion's car, with everything the champion could have taught him. It just tragically did not work out that way.

aryan
29th July 2014, 01:00
Ricciardo, and Alonso were supreme. Haminton was very good. Also a big nod to Kimi and Vergne.

Between Ricciardo and Alonso, I can't for the life of me decide between who deserves DOTR most.

Doc Austin
29th July 2014, 01:46
Ricciardo, and Alonso were supreme. Haminton was very good. Also a big nod to Kimi and Vergne.

Between Ricciardo and Alonso, I can't for the life of me decide between who deserves DOTR most.

Dude, you're an Aussie. Should be an easy pick!