PDA

View Full Version : Learning languages for fun

donKey jote
21st July 2014, 22:40
Anybody else here duo the duolingo? :bandit:
i'm hooked, so much better than candy crush or 2048 :D

Storm
22nd July 2014, 08:25
hey 2048 is the only game I did play on my phone and cracked :)

what do you mean duo? I am tri- or cuatro lingual :p:
or is that another game? :dozey:

pino
22nd July 2014, 10:51
Duolingo is crap, you can easily learn a language, by adding it to your keyboard :p:

Mark
22nd July 2014, 11:26
I tried to learn French for a good while. Did two years of classes when I was working at York University. I know a lot more than I did but still a very long way from being able to hold a conversation.

Come to the realisation that it's very difficult without having regular exposure to the language and I haven't been to France since 2008.

odykas
22nd July 2014, 18:21
hey 2048 is the only game I did play on my phone and cracked :)

Are you a cracker? :bandit:

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd July 2014, 21:11
I know English and I know northern English.

Mark
22nd July 2014, 21:29
I know English and I know northern English.

Yer divint der yer?

donKey jote
22nd July 2014, 21:32
hey 2048 is the only game I did play on my phone and cracked

what do you mean duo? I am tri- or cuatro lingual
or is that another game?
duolingo is a cool free program (for web https://www.duolingo.com/ , or android and iOS stores) that gamifies learning languages...

so far only Spanish German French Italian Portuguese and Dutch from English, with Irish Danish and Swedish soon to appear in beta and many others due to follow.
I'm pretty sure anybody with an interest in languages will find it cool too, specially mcfeegle or pino :andrea:

as for 2048, I got bored of regularly scoring >30000 so I took up Dutch on duo instead, together with the other five (six including English in the reverse trees) :p

gadjo_dilo
22nd July 2014, 22:58
Eu sou uma mulher.
My first lesson of portuguese went very well. After a bit of practice I'll write a letter to Neymar. :p

donKey jote
22nd July 2014, 23:42
Looking forward to learning Romanian too, but it's still only 2% finished :(

gadjo_dilo
22nd July 2014, 23:53
You already know a lot of words...

Including those that don't appear in dictionaries. :p

Storm
23rd July 2014, 07:38
I have a Windows Phone :dozey:

donKey jote
23rd July 2014, 07:39
Not enough though :D

On duolingo I started with German, and found I still make the odd der die das mistake for example so it's a fun way to practice.
Spanish is also interesting as it's mainly american Spanish so I also learn lot's of new words.
Portuguese is so similar to Spanish it's fun to acquire.
Italian too, and I love speaking it and imitating the melody in the speech exercises.
French I've always wanted to learn a bit more than just reading it and thinking I understand most of it.
Even Dutch is fun: sounds like English with German lijk words but is spellt all funny... mijn vrouw is een olifant etc.

It all starts at a very simple level but you feel you're progressing all the time and want more :D

pino
23rd July 2014, 07:49
You don't need melody whilst speaking Italian, you need your hands :p:

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2014, 07:58
Now you have a decent reason to buy a new one

Mark
23rd July 2014, 09:29
Je ne comprends pas francais du tout. :(

Storm
23rd July 2014, 09:38
But its only a year old :(

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2014, 10:00
Buy a tablet then

Mark
23rd July 2014, 10:05

It'll be knackered then.

Storm
23rd July 2014, 10:36
actually yeah the plastics are so bad that the lock button broke last week ( just a couple of days under warranty left!) ...got it replaced but now I do not use it as the phone update has given me a fantastic "double tap screen to unlock" feature :up:

odykas
23rd July 2014, 12:29

Denial, is that you :erm:

odykas
23rd July 2014, 12:40
Looking forward to learning Romanian too, but it's still only 2% finished :(

Added to my todo list.

Now I'm dealing with the Italian course :p:

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2014, 16:34
Sorry guys but you can't learn Romanian through a computer game. The grammar is impossible and don't follow certain rules. Even most of Romanians speak it like s~it.

donKey jote
23rd July 2014, 18:22
Sorry guys but you can't learn Romanian through a computer game. The grammar is impossible and don't follow certain rules. Even most of Romanians speak it like s~it.
Maybe that's why it's taking the Romanian team so long... And I thought they were just sheer lazy :p

donKey jote
23rd July 2014, 18:23
That would be a cool expansion: visual feedback :laugh:

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2014, 19:57
Maybe that's why it's taking the Romanian team so long... And I thought they were just sheer lazy :p
Which of our teams? :confused:

donKey jote
23rd July 2014, 21:00
The guys building the language.
duo works like that, each language is set up by screened volunteer bilinguals... Why don't you apply and kick their arse? :p

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2014, 21:08
The guys building the language.
duo works like that, each language is set up by screened volunteer bilinguals...
lol. No romanian would ever work for free. :devil:

Why don't you apply and kick their arse? :p
The result would be the same because my Romanian is excellent but my English sucks.:p

donKey jote
23rd July 2014, 21:49
well learn English first :p
https://www.duolingo.com/courses/ro

Jag_Warrior
24th July 2014, 18:06

So it's a lot like English, huh? :D

Me, I'd absolutely love to learn to speak Latin. It's on my bucket list. And with it gaining in popularity (again) in U.S. schools, maybe I'll be able to do that in the years to come.

donKey jote
11th August 2014, 02:05
http://youtu.be/v2Y-L-dKeEo
:bandit:

Storm
11th August 2014, 08:17
I did a basic German last night on a friend's phone :s

donKey jote
11th August 2014, 09:47
Zeer goed :D

(I'm about to finish the Dutch tree) ;) :p

gadjo_dilo
11th August 2014, 09:50
I stopped.:s

donKey jote
11th August 2014, 12:47
Niet zo goed ! :p

MrJan
11th August 2014, 13:31
I was refreshing my Spanish on Duolinguo for a while but eventually let it slide. I got a bit fed up of going over exactly the same words and also found it difficult to find time/places where I could happily do the listening and speaking parts. I wouldn't say that you can use it to learn a language as such, but it certainly helps refresh your memory of some of the key basic phrases.

donKey jote
11th August 2014, 18:03
I learnt the difference between further and farther today, after almost 48 years of speaking English :dozey:

steveaki13
11th August 2014, 18:12
further on though your father may need to take you further :D

gadjo_dilo
11th August 2014, 18:41
I learnt the difference between further and farther today, after almost 48 years of speaking English :dozey:
We have a saying: Man learns as long as he lives :angel:

donKey jote
11th August 2014, 22:39
Ja je kunt :andrea:

(yes you can in Dutch :D)

RoboTom
12th August 2014, 11:53
Come to the realisation that it's very difficult without having regular exposure to the language and I haven't been to France since 2008.

True, but I reckon you would be surprised how quickly it will come along if you do go and spend some time there. You probably know more than you think you do. Thats what I found with German. No matter how many words you learn or German films you watch, you need to be surrounded by it. Before I first moved to Germany I was ill with tonsillitis. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone! But it did however allow me to brush up on my vocab and grammar. There are still a host of words I know that whenever I speak them I am reminded of being ill in bed. Thankfully it was a beautiful bed from Zen Bedrooms (http://www.zenbedrooms.com/). I was at least comfortable … despite practising grammar and having a sore throat!

donKey jote
26th August 2014, 02:42
Irish and Danish have just been released :D :bandit:

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 18:36
Tá uchlabhán agam :D
http://i57.tinypic.com/8y50xy.jpg

donKey jote
2nd November 2014, 18:42
Jeg har en ugle :D
http://i62.tinypic.com/24b5c8h.jpg

odykas
2nd November 2014, 18:47
Danish? :dozey:

I hope they add Greek / Romanian / Marathi soon in order for you to learn a propper language :p:

Mark
2nd November 2014, 19:29
It's impossible for foreigners to learn Danish.

odykas
2nd November 2014, 20:05
Even Italians can learn, so there shouldn't be an issue ;)

Storm
3rd November 2014, 06:28

how did pino learn it then? considering his English I have doubts about his Danish but then I don't know any Danish to make wise cracks about it :p:

veeten
3rd November 2014, 16:24

Then, how about eating a Danish? Preferably a cheese or apple. :lips: :D

Not too sure about prune, though. :s

:p ;)

donKey jote
18th November 2014, 22:49
Svenska has just been released now too... and just two weeks to go until my next visit to Lappland :D

donKey jote
29th November 2014, 22:19
just in time... min svenska ugglar flyger !!!
http://i59.tinypic.com/2ilxs6.jpg

Storm
1st December 2014, 06:12
so now janvan and you can talk ...a lot?

donKey jote
1st December 2014, 21:35
http://youtu.be/mbs64GvGgPU

http://youtu.be/Ln07mhUTXCY

donKey jote
2nd December 2014, 14:29
Thanks to duolingo we had a nice warm car this morning :-D
http://i58.tinypic.com/2edqyra.jpg

odykas
2nd December 2014, 16:47
Thanks to the multilingual donkey :p:

schmenke
2nd December 2014, 19:29
I can almost make sense of the text on the bottom half ;) .

janneppi
4th May 2015, 18:46
This almost fits in with the thread. :)

I tried to call a colleague in our offices in Scotland, I think he wasn't there, but I'm not really sure. Some guy answered and began a uncanny imitation of Robin Williams's famous youtube Golf-bit. ;)
I understood three words from the other end of the line; receptionist, fifteen and minutes.
I sent an email instead...

Gregor-y
5th May 2015, 01:02
Any good program for Norwegian? I'm headed there in September for two weeks of flailing around the countryside.

donKey jote
5th May 2015, 21:38
Norwegian is due to appear on duolingo in the next week or two...

donKey jote
23rd May 2015, 22:23
Any good program for Norwegian? I'm headed there in September for two weeks of flailing around the countryside.
Norwegian was released in duolingo a couple of days ago... Together with Ukrainian.

Louis
22nd July 2015, 11:52
I discovered Duolingo about 2 weeks ago and really enjoy it. Started with Spanish, because I´m going to Spain later this year, but might try some new languages (that I don´t really need to learn) later.. just for fun

donKey jote
22nd July 2015, 14:17
I'm well and truly hooked... after Norwegian came Esperanto and Ukrainian, oh and I forgot to mention one of my favourites so far: turkish ! :crazy: :bandit:

Brown, Jon Brow
14th August 2015, 21:31
I stumbled across a website called Babbel.com that has online language courses, and it made me think about this thread.

I might give Duolingo a go before I get too seep into Babbel. I keep telling myself that one day I want to be able to speak French, German and Spanish.

shivanya
12th August 2016, 13:07
I know English and Malayalam and I like to learn other language also.

donKey jote
13th August 2016, 11:53
I stumbled across a website called Babbel.com that has online language courses, and it made me think about this thread.

I might give Duolingo a go before I get too seep into Babbel. I keep telling myself that one day I want to be able to speak French, German and Spanish.

From what I hear they're both pretty similar, except only one of them is free.

I think most people who are a bit more serious about learning a language on t'internet would use more than one site anyway. There are plenty to choose from: duolingo, memrise, babbel, lingvist, immersia , busuu....

I last posted in this thread a year ago, an update of the courses available from English since then: Russian, Polish, Welsh, Vietnamese, Hebrew and Hungarian.

I've given Hebrew a miss for now and am currently playing with Hungarian... gotta go! :bandit: :andrea: :p

donKey jote
16th November 2016, 17:20
lol. No romanian would ever work for free. :devil:

The result would be the same because my Romanian is excellent but my English sucks.:p

2 years later, Romanian is up and running! :D

up next on my list, after Guaraní (Jopará) :p

steveaki13
16th November 2016, 20:08
I am currently on level one Espanol. However I intend to keep it up beyond this and hopefully become fluent. It's the first language I have spoken apart from English and really enjoying it.
I already think I would like to learn another one once I become fairly fluent. Maybe that should be If!!!

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

steveaki13
2nd December 2016, 22:13
After 6 weeks of my first course.

pues..... hablo un poco espanol y Ingles. haha:p

Storm
5th December 2016, 15:05
muy bien steve !

solo hablas un poco de ingles eh? ;)

steveaki13
5th December 2016, 16:43
muy bien steve !

solo hablas un poco de ingles eh? ;)

Si :laugh: definitely un poco de Ingles.

Pues hablo un poco de Espanol. :p

donKey jote
11th December 2016, 08:00
Aceasta e pentru tine, draga mea :kiss: :andrea: :wave:
http://i66.tinypic.com/2e5o3v8.png

Storm
12th December 2016, 15:09
:o