PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race - Germany

steveaki13
20th July 2014, 15:20
Who was your driver of the Race?

gm99
20th July 2014, 15:39
Bottas did very well to hold off Hamilton in the end.

Ricciardo had a great drive after having to take evasive action on the opening lap and gave us a good battle with Alonso.

N4D13
20th July 2014, 15:42
I'd say Bottas, for keeping his nose clean until the end; Rosberg, because he didn't do any mistakes, and Ricciardo, because of his fantastic defending and recovery.

dj_bytedisaster
20th July 2014, 15:46
Bottas & Ricciardo - sublime driving by both.

honorary mention to Rosberg - wedding, contract extension and home race win in one week. Other people need half a lifetime to experience all those.

N4D13
20th July 2014, 15:48
Whoops, nothing to see here. I misunderstood. :p

MacFeegle
20th July 2014, 15:49
Me say Lewis. Elbow racing but no front wing to help tire for last push.

Tazio
20th July 2014, 15:54
Fred

longisland
20th July 2014, 15:59
Hamilton. Moved his way up from the bottom. Bottas for keeping A charging Hamilton behind with older tires. Vettel for beating Ricciardo

pino
20th July 2014, 16:01
Bottas :up:

dj_bytedisaster
20th July 2014, 16:03
Me say Lewis. Elbow racing but no front wing to help tire for last push.

Sorry, but HAM and ROS are suffering from 'Vettel syndrome'. With a car like that nothing's an achievement unless you lap the whole field one-handed while fapping and whistling the ave maria. 20 to third was a foregone conclusion. He was 6th after 15 laps already. If anything, he should have been 2nd instead of clattering into Button.

steveaki13
20th July 2014, 16:09
Driver of the Race:

Valterri Bottas- Was fast, calm and fully deserve 2nd place. Albeit Hamilton started 20th, he done a decent job to hold him off, given how fast the Mercedes is.

Other Mentions:

Nico Rosberg - Simple drive in that fast car, but did well not to fall asleep.

Lewis Hamilton - I am split a bit, I don't think he did a brilliant job coming through the pack, but deserves a mention for getting in there and doing some great battling.

Sebastian Vettel - Nice job actually quite a quiet race.

Daniel Ricciardo - Again some great driving shown, he battled hard and refused to give in at any point. Was unlucky in turn 1.

Fernando Alonso - Showed some more great battling skill and done almost all he could as Kimi yet again failed to score a point.

steveaki13
20th July 2014, 16:10
Sorry, but HAM and ROS are suffering from 'Vettel syndrome'. With a car like that nothing's an achievement unless you lap the whole field one-handed while fapping and whistling the ave maria. 20 to third was a foregone conclusion. He was 6th after 15 laps already. If anything, he should have been 2nd instead of clattering into Button.

I gave Vettel DotD or mentions many times last season, so I do the same for these two. You still have to do it.

MacFeegle
20th July 2014, 16:11

You negative man Mr DJ. Vettel did OK job but true had best car. Lessen Vettel for that make you look silly.

Button turn bit and Lewis stretch nose and Lewis lose 20$ downforce on left front. That make rest of race and manage tire near impossible. No matter Mercedes or Maurussia, that bite you on rear. Lewis did great job and if no see then you no important.

dj_bytedisaster
20th July 2014, 16:21
I gave Vettel DotD or mentions many times last season, so I do the same for these two. You still have to do it.

Vettel didn't deserve DotD once last season, except perhaps for the drive in Singapore where he overcame a safety car in just 12 laps. With a car like last years RB it was already nigh-on impossible to be DotD. If you have a craft as ridiculously superior as the Merc, you'd have to drive it over the water to achieve anything special.
Don't get me wrong, HAM's drive was great, but not as great as other drivers have done in inferior machinery. And his mistake with button is just too much to qualify him for DotD.

steveaki13
20th July 2014, 16:30
Vettel didn't deserve DotD once last season, except perhaps for the drive in Singapore where he overcame a safety car in just 12 laps. With a car like last years RB it was already nigh-on impossible to be DotD. If you have a craft as ridiculously superior as the Merc, you'd have to drive it over the water to achieve anything special.
Don't get me wrong, HAM's drive was great, but not as great as other drivers have done in inferior machinery. And his mistake with button is just too much to qualify him for DotD.

Thats what I took into account.

Lewis was only amongst my mentions today, because he did make a mistake or two. However I would never rule a driver out for having the best car. Otherwise Schumi never got Driver of the Day from 2001-2004

Bottas did do the best job IMO today

Mia 01
20th July 2014, 21:59
Valteri Bottas and Nico Rosberg, in that order.

airshifter
21st July 2014, 06:28
Hard for me to pick one today, there were too many good drives!

Rosberg - cool and calm up front

Bottas - cool and calm in 2nd

Hamilton - moving up 17 spots is never easy, but he made it look easy

Vettel - stayed out of the drama and drove well

Alonso - wrestled that pig to the front again + clean dice with Ricciardo

Ricciardo - recovered 11-12 spots after avoiding the first turn mess, and showed Fred he's no pushover

I'm not even going to pick one. All of the above drove really great races.

The Black Knight
21st July 2014, 08:16

For once I agree with you. I can't give Hamilton driver of the day either as I feel he should have come 2nd.

For me drivers of the day were Bottas and Alonso. Vettel also drove a fine race.

I disagree that you can't get driver of the race just because you have the best car.

AndyL
21st July 2014, 13:03
Rather than a driver of the race I'll nominate heroes of the race: the brave marshals who moved Sutil's car from a scary position without the safety car being deployed.

dj_bytedisaster
21st July 2014, 13:51
Rather than a driver of the race I'll nominate heroes of the race: the brave marshals who moved Sutil's car from a scary position without the safety car being deployed.

Bullcrap. The corner was under double yellows. There was no danger whatsoever unless one of the drivers blatantly broke the rules.

driveace
21st July 2014, 18:43
Well Button has withdrawn his comments about Hamiltons pass after watching a rerun of the pass,and admits he turned in early.If Vettel came from 20th to 3rd ,in a Dominant RB that he had in previous years ,you would have had him as a Supreme driver dj.
As another blogger put he drove 40 laps with a badly damaged front wing AND his team pitted him early ,anticipating a Safety car that never materialized .so he lost unnessesary time there ,at least he has a new gearbox in his car now too

ffhdhh34
21st July 2014, 20:27
Lewis hamilton - he made so many great overtakes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZK9dhy81eo despite crashing wih jenson button - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTLdm217pww

anfield5
21st July 2014, 22:14
Bottas again was excellent. Vettel and Alonso both stood out and Ricciardo and Mag did brilliantly to recover from the Massa accident

Zico
21st July 2014, 23:06
3 DOTR's for me I think. Bottas, Ricciardo and Alonso were all magnificent, top drawer wheel to wheel racing like it should be, great stuff!

henners88
25th July 2014, 09:17
Bottas, Ricciardo and Hamilton. Williams must be rubbing their hands together as the talent is really coming together and it's come at a fairly low cost. Third podium in a row I hope they widen the gap yo Ferrari in the WCC.

Daniel is having a stunning season and must be living the dream. A good drive on Sunday all round.

Lewis has a significant car advantage over the field when it's not breaking down or having break failure. It's always a pleasure watching him work through the grid. A good race from him. :)

I also thought Alonso had another great race. Wheel to wheel at its best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2