PDA

View Full Version : Live Aid - best and worst acts

ford power
15th July 2014, 18:21
I've been looking through a lot of live aid videos on youtube which has left me thinking who were the best and worst acts. For me the best were :
Queen
Simple Minds
The Cars
David Bowie
U2
Paul Young
Dire Straits
George Thorogood & The Destroyers
The Power Station
Spandau Ballet

The worst:
Adam Ant
The Thompson Twins
Patti LaBelle
Joan Baez
Ultravox

Well that's in my opinion anyhow

D-Type
15th July 2014, 21:45
Remember that all the artistes gave their time and performed for free. Do you not think it churlish to brand some of these generous people as "the worst"?

Rollo
16th July 2014, 01:58
Do you not think it churlish to brand some of these generous people as "the worst"?

For me the worst was U2... for performing :D

Remember that all the artistes gave their time and performed for free.

In the case of U2... that's still too expensive. I'm pretty sure that even listening to U2 probably contravenes Article 5 of the UDHR. :D

Storm
16th July 2014, 07:09
I agree with D-Type about the generosity but Rollo has made a massive point. U2 is horrible :p:

airshifter
16th July 2014, 07:54
I've seen dozens and dozens of big name bands, including U2. There was nothing at all bad about them and they have loads of sales, awards, etc that indicate there are quite a few more people that like them.

I was never a huge U2 fan or anything, and I think I only own a couple of their CDs. I doubt I would have paid to see them as a headliner unless the price was right, but saw them at a big music festival.

And though any large gathering of bands probably has some I don't care for all that much, I can't fault them for bringing in whatever audience they do bring, especially when it involves charity work. I haven't watched enough of the Live Aid footage recently to really rate them band by band, but the fact that they all did it for a bigger cause is enough for me.

pino
16th July 2014, 08:22
Can't remember any bad performance, probably due to the fact that, I love all live concert ;) Must get that videotape and play it again :p:

henners88
16th July 2014, 15:10
The worst:
Ultravox
I quite liked Ultravox's performance at Live Aid and its something I quite often look up on youtube to watch. Considering they did the sound check in about 5 minutes I thought Midge Ure sounded great.

http://youtu.be/mFIxWeC1lhE