PDA

View Full Version : Is the Red Bull Engine coming?

dj_bytedisaster
21st June 2014, 07:01
It's been a while since I've written something for the Judge, but they asked me to put in my two minor currency units about an Article in the latest Auto, Motor & Sport (AMuS)

tj13: Is the Red Bull Engine Coming? (http://thejudge13.com/2014/06/21/daily-f1-news-and-comment-saturday-21st-june-2014/)

If you think about it, it rather looks as if they are already working on it. Makes for interesting speculation what the 'new challenges' of Adrian Newey are...

Koz
21st June 2014, 08:11
Yes, absolutely, but you're a bit late: http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/04/01/exclusive-red-bull-ditch-renault-to-use-their-own-f1-v6-turbo-engines-from-june-onward/

N4D13
21st June 2014, 14:35
Yes, absolutely, but you're a bit late: http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/04/01/exclusive-red-bull-ditch-renault-to-use-their-own-f1-v6-turbo-engines-from-june-onward/
Note: This was an April Fool’s story!

Koz
21st June 2014, 14:41

My point exactly.

dj_bytedisaster
21st June 2014, 14:44

I know, but not the latest AMuS story that was released this week, which relates to an interview between Marko and Brundle.

N4D13
21st June 2014, 14:44
My point exactly.
Whoops! :o

zako85
22nd June 2014, 14:02
This is a wild and baseless speculation. If the Red Bull engine is coming then who is going to pay for it, and how are they going to recoup their investment? Moreover, it seems a bit premature to abandon Renault only after one bad season.

Koz
22nd June 2014, 14:12
This is a wild and baseless speculation. If the Red Bull engine is coming then who is going to pay for it, and how are they going to recoup their investment? Moreover, it seems a bit premature to abandon Renault only after one bad season.

They say Nissan will pay for it... Because of course Nissan are Renault's arch nemesis or something...

zako85
24th June 2014, 00:02
However, we don't hear very often partners openly criticizing each other in Formula1. Perhaps, the RedBull-Renault relationship is falling apart.

mmbmz3
24th June 2014, 00:22
They say Nissan will pay for it... Because of course Nissan are Renault's arch nemesis or something...

Do you know who make Infinity? (Nissan) And isn't Infinity painted on the side of the Red Bull F1 car? Yes!

Rollo
24th June 2014, 01:08
However, we don't hear very often partners openly criticizing each other in Formula1. Perhaps, the RedBull-Renault relationship is falling apart.

Results of the Austrian GP:

1. Mercedes
2. Mercedes
3. Mercedes
4. Mercedes
5. Ferrari
6. Mercedes
7. Mercedes
8. Renault
9. Mercedes
10.Ferrari

11. Mercedes
12. Renault +1 lap
13. Ferrari +1 lap
14. Renault +1 lap
15. Ferrari +2 laps
16. Renault +2 laps
17. Ferrari +2 laps
18. Renault +2 lap
19. Ferrari +2 laps

20. Renault DNF (59laps)
21. Renault DNF (34laps)
22. Renault DNF (24laps)

Mercedes had all 8/8 cars finish (100%) and on the lead lap and took 7/10 point scoring positions.
Ferrari had all 2/6 cars finish (33.3%) and on the lead lap and took 2/10 point scoring positions.
Renault had all 1/8 cars finish (12.5%) and on the lead lap and took 1/10 point scoring positions.

Perhaps the Everyone-Renault relationship is falling apart. Especially for Red Bull at their home GP, of four cars in two teams, 3 failed to finish and the best that they could muster was 8th. Of course Red Bull are openly criticizing Renault.
Renault's engines for 2014 are objectively rubbish.

dj_bytedisaster
24th June 2014, 04:11
Well Ferrari doesn't look too good, too. With the rules enforcing an engine Apartheid through the development freeze I don't see any change at the horizon.

pob
24th June 2014, 04:37
And who are Nissan partnered with... Renault! Nissan aren't going to compete against Renault in F1 unless they end their partnership first. (Although maybe Nissan think the Renault engine is making their sponsorship of Red Bull look bad.)

Koz
24th June 2014, 05:08
Do you know who make Infinity? (Nissan) And isn't Infinity painted on the side of the Red Bull F1 car? Yes!

It seems sarcasm does not work on the inter webs :D

Renault–Nissan Alliance. Nissan and Renault (43% & 15%) own huge chunks of one another. They even have the same CEO.

Nissan would not finance an F1 engine, against themselves.

Rollo
25th June 2014, 01:36
Renault–Nissan Alliance. Nissan and Renault (43% & 15%) own huge chunks of one another. They even have the same CEO.

Nissan would not finance an F1 engine, against themselves.

Nissan might finance the same engine against themselves. It's not like Renault's engines haven't had this sort of thing before. Mecachrome, Supertec, Playlife, Renault... how hard would it be to stick another badge on the engine?

To that end, Ferrari's customer engines could be rebranded Maserati, Lancia or FIAT if they really wanted to keep the integrity of their own name intact.

driveace
25th June 2014, 09:57
Red bull will tough the season out and plead for Mercedes engine that McLaren wont need next year .

zako85
25th June 2014, 13:34
One interesting thing is that Ferrari did figure out the business model that affords them the ability to develop their own engine, so its not entirely impossible I guess. I have read somewhere that the Red Bull team is already running at profit, because their prize money and sponsors provide enough money to cover all expenses. This could allow the Red Bull parent company to cough out some money for engine development, perhaps in cooperation with Cosworth and Infiniti. If they could build a good engine, it could also find its way into other F1 cars, potentially removing the need to own and sponsor "Toro Rosso", Red Bull's "B team".

MacFeegle
29th June 2014, 08:01
You all forget Honda.

Very close tie with McLaren but I think talk happen.

driveace
30th June 2014, 22:14
Think in 1st year it will ONLY be McLaren with the Honda engine ,my money is on RB going for the Mercedes engines McLaren have had

Koz
1st July 2014, 09:15
Nissan might finance the same engine against themselves. It's not like Renault's engines haven't had this sort of thing before. Mecachrome, Supertec, Playlife, Renault... how hard would it be to stick another badge on the engine?

But we're not talking about sticking a badge on the Renault engine, but developing an entirely new one in-house with cash from Nissan.

zako85
1st July 2014, 09:51
My personal opinion is that Red Bull may pay its own money, or perhaps Nissan or Infiniti, to improve the Renault engine. The improved engine may be called Red Bull or Infiniti, or whatever. Let's get serious. Neither Ferrari nor Mercedes will be particularly interested in selling their engines to their top competitor.