PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher inspired me - Hamilton

f1rocks
15th April 2007, 15:55
http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070415160612.shtml

Lewis Hamilton does not hesitate for long when he is asked to nominate someone who inspired him.

The McLaren rookie said seven time world champion Michael Schumacher 'always gave 100 per cent.'

"I met Michael last year," Hamilton told the newspaper Bild am Sonntag in Bahrain, "and he said something to me that I will never forget.

"I was walking in the paddock in Turkey and he stopped me and said, 'Fantastic race. What you did today was outstanding'."

Schumacher, now 38 and still an 'advisor' for the Ferrari team, was referring to Hamilton's inspirational drive through the field in GP2.

Asked if the German is still a role model, Hamilton answered: "Absolutely.
And not just as a driver."

"He didn't have to say that to me. Other drivers achieved far less than he did but are much more arrogant.

"His ambition and dedication impressed me; before his last ever race he was still testing. He always gave 100 per cent, right up to the last second."

How true his comments are. Alonso can get exposed this year because a rookie might beat him this year..

Garry Walker
15th April 2007, 17:09
Beginning to like this Hamilton guy.

Viktory
15th April 2007, 17:29
same here :p

BTCC2
15th April 2007, 19:06
Schumacher is an inspiration to all young racing drivers.

Ian McC
15th April 2007, 19:27
Nice to hear that, just goes to show that there is a lot more to Schumacher than what was seen on the track.

F1boat
15th April 2007, 20:55
http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070415160612.shtml

Lewis Hamilton does not hesitate for long when he is asked to nominate someone who inspired him.

The McLaren rookie said seven time world champion Michael Schumacher 'always gave 100 per cent.'

"I met Michael last year," Hamilton told the newspaper Bild am Sonntag in Bahrain, "and he said something to me that I will never forget.

"I was walking in the paddock in Turkey and he stopped me and said, 'Fantastic race. What you did today was outstanding'."

Schumacher, now 38 and still an 'advisor' for the Ferrari team, was referring to Hamilton's inspirational drive through the field in GP2.

Asked if the German is still a role model, Hamilton answered: "Absolutely.
And not just as a driver."

"He didn't have to say that to me. Other drivers achieved far less than he did but are much more arrogant.

"His ambition and dedication impressed me; before his last ever race he was still testing. He always gave 100 per cent, right up to the last second."

Bravo, Lewis. Fine words by fine young man and excellent driver.

ioan
15th April 2007, 21:46
Nice to hear that, just goes to show that there is a lot more to Schumacher than what was seen on the track.

It was always like this, just most people around here chose to see only what suited their POV.

jens
15th April 2007, 22:01
Actually most of the young drivers, who have joined F1 in this millenium, have said that their biggest idol is Schumacher. So nothing new... :)

slinkster
15th April 2007, 22:36
I was thinking just today, that it would have been interesting to see how Hamilton would have driven against Schumacher in a race... could have been very interesting indeed.

ArrowsFA1
16th April 2007, 08:38
In ten years time a rookie will come into F1 and say that his inspiration was Lewis Hamilton, multiple WDC ;)

I am evil Homer
16th April 2007, 08:48
It was always like this, just most people around here chose to see only what suited their POV.

Just like you and anyone who doesn't drive for Ferrari :D

Erki
16th April 2007, 08:49
I tricked him .... Schumacher inspired me

:s tareup:

:p :

wmcot
16th April 2007, 09:01
I tricked him .... Schumacher inspired me

Exactly! And MS has admitted that he learned some of his tactics from Senna...welcome to the modern world of F1 racing!

raphael123
16th April 2007, 12:54
I thought Hamilton's favourite all time driver was Senna? Hence the resemblence on the helmet?

In fairness to Hamilton, there wasn't much choice growing up in that era, unless you looked to Jacques Villeneuve, or maybe David Coulthard for inspiration! lol.

No, I take it back, Schumacher, however dodgy character he is, and his unsporting ways, his committment to F1, his team, and passion for the sport was always 110%! On top of that he was a true great behind the wheel, and though I've never been a fan of the guy, I'm pleased I witnessed his career from his youth, till he retired. He is without a doubt the greatest talent the sport has had for the past 10-15yrs!

kalasend
16th April 2007, 22:33
I thought Hamilton's favourite all time driver was Senna? Hence the resemblence on the helmet?

I think Hamilton said somewhere that the color of his helmet was merely for the purpose of helping his worrying father to identify him out of the karts.

Ian McC
16th April 2007, 22:46
I think Hamilton said somewhere that the color of his helmet was merely for the purpose of helping his worrying father to identify him out of the karts.

That is correct.

raikk
16th April 2007, 23:55
(throws Hamilton hat out) :biglaugh:

Just kidding Just kidding! :p :

Shalafi
17th April 2007, 05:48
Well, nobody is perfect... :)