PDA

View Full Version : Donkey of the Race - Canada

steveaki13
8th June 2014, 22:45
Vote time

Somebody
8th June 2014, 22:49
Tempted to say Massa... On the last lap, man!

(Why did they even pit? They were on the harder tyre)

N4D13
8th June 2014, 22:52
Mercedes for turning their umpteenth 1-2 finish into a 2-DNF. :(

And Maldonado for not causing a safety car earlier so that everyone could pass Rosberg and we would have a closer fight for the WDC. Or just because he's Maldonado, I don't care. :D

Koz
8th June 2014, 22:52
Massa
Chilton

Kimi

dj_bytedisaster
8th June 2014, 22:53
Red Bull. First weekend Vettel's car doesn't nom itself and you somehow get him behind RIC despite him being faster

Merc for being arrogant and then breaking down. The ultimate insult however is that Rosberg still finished second in a broken car. You destroyed F1

Koz
8th June 2014, 22:57
Red Bull. First weekend Vettel's car doesn't nom itself and you somehow get him behind RIC despite him being faster
Vettel was in traffic unable to pass, and whining demanding "strategy" and when after they do something about it, he whines some more?

Merc for being arrogant and then breaking down. The ultimate insult however is that Rosberg still finished second in a broken car. You destroyed F1

Man, you're such a hater. You need to relax.

N4D13
8th June 2014, 23:03
http://www.theicarusproject.net/files/images/chill_pill.preview.jpg

:D

Tazio
8th June 2014, 23:03
Kimi, another embarrassing race.
Chilton, and maybe fast Felipe, biggest of all although I will wait until I see a better view!

N. Jones
8th June 2014, 23:05
Don't EVEN say Perez or Massa!
No one can tell what happened there.

Ranger
8th June 2014, 23:06
Chilton committed the cardinal sin, taking out his team-mate.

I'm going to give it to him this time.

steveaki13
8th June 2014, 23:06
Man, you're such a hater. You need to relax.

No because he hates Lewis and Merc so it dont count, its the voice of reason. :D

Tazio
8th June 2014, 23:08
Don't EVEN say Perez or Massa!
No one can tell what happened there.

http://www.theicarusproject.net/files/images/chill_pill.preview.jpg

;)

steveaki13
8th June 2014, 23:10
Donkey's:

Merc - For having twin issues. Clearly a problem there.

Sauber - For being so slow.

Chilton - For taking Jules out.

Big Ben
8th June 2014, 23:14
Felipe baby for being himself... An idiot. And Kimi for proving once more what a fool I used to be back in his McLaren days when I was convinced he was better than Alonso. Silly me.

I didn't see the whole race so mayne there were others.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Malbec
8th June 2014, 23:16
Tempted to say Massa... On the last lap, man!

I had the impression Perez jinked to the left under braking so I wouldn't blame Massa. IMO Perez wasn't at fault either because his onboard shows he didn't steer to the left. Probably mechanical problems causing his car to pull hard to the left under braking, not surprising given how much he was complaining about his brakes in the last few laps.

I'd give donkey to Chilton for committing THE cardinal sin.

Bagwan
8th June 2014, 23:21
I'd give donkey to Chilton for committing THE cardinal sin.

And , Chilton is out saying it was his teammate's fault .

steveaki13
8th June 2014, 23:24
And , Chilton is out saying it was his teammate's fault .

Really? wow I have not heard that, but he sounds deluded :D He spun and knocked off his team mate.

I suppose Jules should have parked at turn 2 and let Max through. :p

longisland
8th June 2014, 23:27
I must have missed something. How come Kimi is getting all the heat? He finished P10, which isn't anything to shout about. At least it wasn't a bone headed move he did in monaco. Alonso, by his standard, could have been the donkey recepient having being passed by Massa. Fact is, both drivers were riding donkeys instead of prancing stalions

Whyzars
8th June 2014, 23:31
Donkey's:

Merc - For having twin issues. Clearly a problem there.

I wonder if the "let 'em race" mantra will be questioned at Mercedes after that result. Both cars in a league of their own, lapping 1second+ faster than the rest of the field and no win to show for it.

If the telemetry tells them that they would have taken the win with team orders and conservative driving then the next outing may be very different.

Might be time to nobble a silver arrow but which one do they choose?

Bagwan
8th June 2014, 23:35
Really? wow I have not heard that, but he sounds deluded :D He spun and knocked off his team mate.

I suppose Jules should have parked at turn 2 and let Max through. :p

Yep . Really .
Chilton said:
"Not happy.I got a mega start and was probably half or three quarters down the inside and I braked to the point that I knew I could get through the corner.
Then, by my surprise, he braked even later which was late because I was already late.
Then he turned in.
It looked like I hit him because he was in front of me but he was only in front of me because he braked too late.
I feel very sorry for the team but there was nothing I could have done.
I'm not going to back down because he's my team-mate. He should have seen me."

N4D13
8th June 2014, 23:46
I must have missed something. How come Kimi is getting all the heat? He finished P10, which isn't anything to shout about. At least it wasn't a bone headed move he did in monaco. Alonso, by his standard, could have been the donkey recepient having being passed by Massa. Fact is, both drivers were riding donkeys instead of prancing stalions
Well, Alonso ended up in sixth while his teammate ended up in tenth. Considering that Kimi's being beaten 7-0 by Alonso and that he has 18 points to Nando's 69, you could say that a pattern is starting to emerge there. :-P

Bagwan
8th June 2014, 23:48
I wonder if the "let 'em race" mantra will be questioned at Mercedes after that result. Both cars in a league of their own, lapping 1second+ faster than the rest of the field and no win to show for it.

If the telemetry tells them that they would have taken the win with team orders and conservative driving then the next outing may be very different.

Might be time to nobble a silver arrow but which one do they choose?

Since both car lost electrical power , it seems it must have been in the recovery phase in braking , with the resulting brake issues being caused by the extra weight on the discs from lack of recovery .

Nico might have gained a little in this respect , with the messages not long before to 'lift and coast" to save fuel maybe saving him a little disc for the final laps .

But , after much talk this year about Hamilton's fuel mileage being an advantage , perhaps now we see a brake usage advantage for Nico .

Somebody
8th June 2014, 23:55
‏@MercedesAMGF1: (https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/475732502443995137)
OFFICIAL: High-voltage control electronics failure lead to permanent loss of MGU-K drive on both cars in today's race #F1 #CanadianGP

So they lost the KERS part of the energy recovery system, but not because of a failure of the motor itself, but the governing electronics.

Meanwhile, Autosport says Hamilton is blaming Rosberg for his brake failure - because Rosberg didn't jump out of the way, his brakes were allegedly "cooked" in the dirty air while Rosberg's in clean air didn't have the problem.

AndyL
9th June 2014, 00:12
Meanwhile, Autosport says Hamilton is blaming Rosberg for his brake failure - because Rosberg didn't jump out of the way, his brakes were allegedly "cooked" in the dirty air while Rosberg's in clean air didn't have the problem.

That sounds like the sort of interpretation you would get in the gutter press, I didn't realise Autosport had sunk to that level.

He said in his interview with Sky that as he was following another car, his brakes got hotter than Nico's who was in clear air. Just sounds like a statement of fact to me, hardly "blaming".

Tazio
9th June 2014, 02:08
I must have missed something. How come Kimi is getting all the heat? He finished P10, which isn't anything to shout about. At least it wasn't a bone headed move he did in monaco. Dawg it sure was, that spin in the hairpin was idiotic, and a total embarrassment. At least he's collecting a pay check :dozey:

Tazio
9th June 2014, 02:28
Perez for trying to kill Fast Felipe!

donKey jote
9th June 2014, 04:01
Me for missing the start :andrea:
http://i62.tinypic.com/hx82yt.jpg

Doc Austin
9th June 2014, 04:12
Definitely Mercedes for twin failures on the same lap. They lost with the unbeatable car!

Tazio
9th June 2014, 05:27
Me for missing the start :andrea:
http://i62.tinypic.com/hx82yt.jpgYou took billy's missus to Hooters? :confused:
That is what I call a reallllllllllllllllly cheap date :angel:

Whyzars
9th June 2014, 05:52
Since both car lost electrical power , it seems it must have been in the recovery phase in braking , with the resulting brake issues being caused by the extra weight on the discs from lack of recovery .

Nico might have gained a little in this respect , with the messages not long before to 'lift and coast" to save fuel maybe saving him a little disc for the final laps .

But , after much talk this year about Hamilton's fuel mileage being an advantage , perhaps now we see a brake usage advantage for Nico .

(I don't have a recording to go back to.)

After the Safety Car, I'm sure that Nico received a radio message to say that fuel was fine for the rest of the race.

I remember thinking what a crock of sh*t F1 has become when messages like that are transmitted this early in the race but I digress.

If that was the case, that they had "plenty" of fuel, then these two knuckleheads have gone hell for leather until their cars started to break. I see that as brilliant drivers in a confident team and that deserves a one-two finish every time.

I've enjoyed the Lewis/Nico teaming but I fear things will be more subdued from here on.

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2014, 06:08
That sounds like the sort of interpretation you would get in the gutter press, I didn't realise Autosport had sunk to that level.

He said in his interview with Sky that as he was following another car, his brakes got hotter than Nico's who was in clear air. Just sounds like a statement of fact to me, hardly "blaming".

And Rosberg still finished second. That's quite depressing that the whole of F1 can't even beat a dead Merc.

journeyman racer
9th June 2014, 09:06
I don't pay attention to these threads. But for some reason, I did with this one. Damn, some of the reasoning you guys have...

I'm not certain how some of you even like motorsport/F1 :eek:

AndyL
9th June 2014, 14:08
And Rosberg still finished second. That's quite depressing that the whole of F1 can't even beat a dead Merc.

It is pretty remarkable that they can match the pace of most of the field and still get on the podium with a 160bhp deficit.

I guess having a rubbish engine is not as big a handicap as some team bosses like to make out ;)

zako85
9th June 2014, 15:42
I think the biggest donkey was one of Marussia drivers. Take out your teammate on the first lap... incredible. Nothing compares until you look back at the glorious first turn Grosjean crashes from 2012. I'd withhold my judgement on Massa for now. It's not clear if he made a mistake. He may have lost his brakes or perhaps Perez was suddenly going too slow. The video looked weird.

journeyman racer
9th June 2014, 15:45
Massa's mistake was that, at the time of the accident, he should've been at least 3 corners up the road. But he's soft.

MacFeegle
9th June 2014, 21:27
I don't pay attention to these threads. But for some reason, I did with this one. Damn, some of the reasoning you guys have...

I'm not certain how some of you even like motorsport/F1 :eek:

Like. Like. Like.

:)

Mia 01
9th June 2014, 23:55
After a five years I reckon that it is either Lewis or Alonso you should sheer for. No big deal, i´m used to it now.

Storm
10th June 2014, 13:33
It did look like Perez had moved and slowed too causing Massa to crash into him. 5 place grid penalty for Sergio.

The Black Knight
11th June 2014, 00:42
To be honest, I just regard the Perez, Massa crash as a racing incident. I don't think either deserved to be punished for it. These sort of crashes will always inevitably happen in F1. I don't blame either driver really for the crash. You can argue both were at fault and blameless equally in both directions, so I just say racing incident!

Mia 01
11th June 2014, 08:02
To be honest, I just regard the Perez, Massa crash as a racing incident. I don't think either deserved to be punished for it. These sort of crashes will always inevitably happen in F1. I don't blame either driver really for the crash. You can argue both were at fault and blameless equally in both directions, so I just say racing incident!

Here I agree. They where both a bit to hot and tired at the last lap.

driveace
11th June 2014, 10:03
Thought I heard Perez was to blame according to stewards ,for changing course,and get a 5 place penalty in next race
How did stewards not see Nico had an advantage with the chicane cut ? Some of their decisions are very odd !

Big Ben
11th June 2014, 11:07
I'm for stewards intervening a lot less. I'm not a fan of this constant meddling for every little incident.

Penalizing Perez is a stupid decision. If anything both could be blamed for the crash. Massa clearly steers to the right. He was squeezing a car that was having brake problems. And Massa coming from behind had a better visibility than Perez. When he started to turn right he was in a place where any half wit should have taken into account that the other might have problems seeing him. He risked a lot in a place where cars don't make passes and he took himself and Perez out in the process. The funny thing is he went after the race criticizing Perez for the crash, Force India for not retiring Perez and gifting him his position, his team for costing him the win. It's quite clear with this guy that he always knows who's to blame...everyone else. He's quite pathetic.

Penalizing Rosberg for cutting the chicane once would have been stupid too. Had he done it twice then you can say there's pattern but penalizing a driver for one mistake you'd have the title decided more in offices than on track.

Warriwa
11th June 2014, 12:37
Driveace might be talking about Rosberg cutting the chicane leading into his qualifying lap, gaining an advantage with a higher top speed over the start finish line.

Big Ben
11th June 2014, 16:12
I see. I don't know anything about that. That sounds like material for discarding a qualifying lap :)

schmenke
11th June 2014, 17:06
I thought the sporting regulations state that putting all four wheels off the racing line disqualifies the lap time?

I too, would like to see less meddling from the stewards!

Big Ben
11th June 2014, 17:22
But in this case I understand it happened right before the qualification lap. Correct? Does the regulations cover that? I bet Rosberg would have nothing against them disqualifying the time of the lap he cut short :p:

steveaki13
11th June 2014, 22:26
I too, would like to see less meddling from the stewards!

Me too. We have penalties for most contact now, which makes wheel banging passing moves mostly a thing of the past. :( Thats why I loved Bianchi's pass on Kamui in Monaco.

anfield5
12th June 2014, 06:49
Kimi for being a total waste of time and oxygen

airshifter
12th June 2014, 09:03
I'm for stewards intervening a lot less. I'm not a fan of this constant meddling for every little incident.

Penalizing Perez is a stupid decision. If anything both could be blamed for the crash. Massa clearly steers to the right. He was squeezing a car that was having brake problems. And Massa coming from behind had a better visibility than Perez. When he started to turn right he was in a place where any half wit should have taken into account that the other might have problems seeing him. He risked a lot in a place where cars don't make passes and he took himself and Perez out in the process. The funny thing is he went after the race criticizing Perez for the crash, Force India for not retiring Perez and gifting him his position, his team for costing him the win. It's quite clear with this guy that he always knows who's to blame...everyone else. He's quite pathetic.

Penalizing Rosberg for cutting the chicane once would have been stupid too. Had he done it twice then you can say there's pattern but penalizing a driver for one mistake you'd have the title decided more in offices than on track.

I agree with the Perez penalty being harsh. After watching it a number of times, I thought at worst it was just a racing incident. I fully expected Felipe to get past him, but I thought he pushed the issue at the wrong time with way too much closure speed. And the blaming everyone else was just lame IMO.... he has been around long enough to admit his mistakes.

As for the Rosberg thing, I have mixed feelings. A drive though or anything of that nature would kill them for something that small, but at the same time regardless of whether they make a pass or not they do gain advantage. In the race I heard reports of .4 to .6 gain by cutting that chicane, which in this case also advanced him enough to get out of Hamilton's DRS zone. I don't think it mattered, and even if Hamilton's car didn't fail I think Nico had the race over Lewis.

But at the same time, that half a second could affect a race outcome. I would think in a case like that they would at least tell the lead driver to back off some and attempt to bring the margin back to where it was before cutting a chicane. It seems the trend is only to apply the penalty if a driver is catching a lead driver, not if a leading driver gains advantage.

As for doing it on qually laps, personally I don't think it should be allowed. The drivers can easily stay within track boundries and get a good drive, and we've seen drivers take all kinds of unusual lines when starting their qualification laps to do so. If we allow one driver to go off track, others will do it as well, and sooner or later we'll have an accident due to someone on a hot lap being caught out by someone entering from off track to start a lap.