PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the season so far/Team-mate comparisons

rjbetty
27th May 2014, 12:49
I thought I'd give a quick (which probably won't be quick at all) run through of how the teams are doing so far after 6 rounds

1.MERCEDES
Well I didn't dare think they'd be this good. Not the most dominant team ever, but not since 1988 have there been 2 drivers so competitive. Rosberg continues to be better than most of us thought he'd be (i.e.) pushing Hamilton hard, though maybe the team bosses favour him more. As good as Nico has been however, Hamilton has a definitive advantage, though Rosberg is close enough to absolutely be a title danger, and take advantage of any bad situation for Lewis.
Winner: Hamilton

2.RED BULL
The job they have done since pre-season testing has been incredible, maybe more so than what they've done before. Still can't be ruled out, but in the circumstances, to be clearly 2nd best team so soon is pretty fantastic. However, they say their main improvements have already been done yet still appear 1sec off Mercedes on normal tracks. So maybe it's hard to see them edging ahead, let alone in time to make up the points deficit, though so strong is the team they can't be absolutely ruled out yet.

I think no-one could have expected Ricciardo to be the main breadwinner so far. Amazingly it is indeed like my Grand Prix 2 season where Daniel was unexpectedly strong, consistently qualifying in the top 4 as in real life and finishing strongly, while Vettel has problems. In hindsight, choosing Dan over Kimi was an inspired choice! Seb is not at his best and has suffered badly even when the car's running to capacity, but Ricciardo's consistency shows that the Aussie is on great form, and not just ahead of Seb by default. It's very questionable whether Seb is the best, but he is still one of the top drivers and so should be able to at least match and beat Dan as the season goes on.
Winner: Ricciardo

3.FERRARI
Sadly, my early prediction of Ferrari being "consigned to a season of 4ths and 5ths with not many podiums" appears accurate. For all the talk of Alonso vs Raikkonen fighting each other for the title, experience taught me that in reality, it could turn out to be for merely middle points positions. It just seems things will not change unless major changes are made.

Raikkonen is a top driver but over the years I felt a little too overrated and would more likely than not lose out to Alonso. He was a good choice, and a needed one as the Massa partnership was more than stale on all sides. The gap is large as it has been with almost all of Alonso's team-mates. However, the early form is definitely not indicative of Raikkonen's real level and he should be given a few races at least to settle in. He is closer now though. Alonso has done quite brilliantly to be 3rd in the WDC which just shouldn't be possible given the car. This is what it mean to "outperform" the car i.e. he should only be 5th at best but is 3rd overall.
Winner: Alonso

4.WILLIAMS
I have put Williams 4th even though they may actually have (had) the 3rd best car overall(!) Their drivers are not as good as Alonso (currently) but it's disappointing to see them trailing Force India though great to see them up there!
Massa has done a good job but you know Alonso would be worth another 0.3sec. Bottas has shown very well to be matching Massa. He also seems to be doing it on less capacity judging by his ability to convert into results, though this hasn't been perfect, understandable for someone in only their 2nd season. Felipe has had some bad circumstances though explaining much of his points loss.
Winner: Bottas

5.FORCE INDIA
They have surprised me by beating Williams by making the most of every opportunity. It looked after pre-season testing that Williams would be a big step ahead, but Force India seem to grow incrementally stronger every year. They are as good now as Jordan ever were, I believe. Hulkenberg has done his usual excellent job and has now become one of the top drivers in F1 now. I now rate his general form as higher than Button's or even Raikkonen's. Nico has been very solid, Alonso-esque and there's not much more he could do.

Perez has blown hot and cold, though he has suffered, almost exclusively, the team's problems. A very strong driver, though not quite on Hulkenberg's level, but is close enough (as expected) to show that maybe Hulkenberg, though ticking all the boxes, is maybe overall lacking that last crucial tenth or two...

Perez scored a great podium, and there was no reverse tyre strategy here. But Nico should have had it - the only thing stopping him bagging a huge result is just making a small mistake once in a while when opportunity arises, which can be fixed.
Winner: Hulkenberg

6.MCLAREN
Oh dear, what a shocker of a season. Given the engine advantage, it appears that McLaren have a much worse chassis than even last season's. I keep thinking it just can't be that bad! I am now wondering if Mercedes are really holding back on them in some way, as they simply cannot be this slow. At least they got on the podium in Melbourne.

Button is still good, but I feel he has been overtaken by Hulkenberg, probably Ricciardo too, and is just slowly starting to slide down the pecking order of drivers in F1 as recent drivers gain more experience. Magnussen, apart from the bad car, has done enough to shine against Button. Curiously, just like my Grand Prix season, he shone brightest in Melbourne.

Winner: Hard to call, but just right now, Button

7.LOTUS
Lotus indeed suffered a Benetton 2001 style opening to the season, but have bounced back much more quickly. Like the Arrows 2002, it seems a car with big potential, only needing time, money and testing to unlock it's inherent ability. Then I guess the will assume their usual place, meaning 2013 but with 2014 engines and drivers. They have done a great job to improve so quickly I think.
As predicted, favoured driver Grosjean has been the best, but his outperforming of Maldonado is greater than I thought. Since Lotus are out of the limelight, it's hard to tell how well Grosjean is doing. He has sounded understandably negative at times yet put in performances that indicate he is being strong and giving his all.

As for Maldonado, I see him as a rough diamond, so don't view him as being that bad, it's just that things need to come together for him. Most are less forgiving though, and I know my assistant manager at work would definitely be calling him a bell*nd. But he has been poor again with incidents and they simply should not be occurring with such regularity in his 4th season. Occasionally is understandable, but with the team in a bad place, he really needs to stop causing big repair bills. However, like Perez, he could spring a great result somewhere (though it would NOT make him better than Grosjean, the same as a few big results don't make Perez better than Hulkenberg if he is lagging behind the other 75% of the time).
Winner: Grosjean

8.TORO ROSSO
Toro Rosso have surprised me as I think they actually have a good car there, it's just that it's hidden mainly by Renault's current problems. It shouldn't be a surprise as once again James Key is working his effect. It's just that there seems to be a lag time of 1 full season to take effect - and just look at how Sauber are doing without him... He really seems to be a poor man's (team's?) Adrian Newey, which is actually quite a compliment.

As for the drivers, Kvyat has surprised me. I didn't realise he was this good. Looking at his approach and attitude, he does look like he can be a megastar, and seems like he can be another Vettel. As long as Dr.Marko doesn't fire him for not winning a race! Yes Seb managed it in 2008 but let's see him do it in any STR from 2010 onwards.

As for Vergne, he needs to find more, or his F1 career is looking perilously short. The thing is though, he is another driver suffering with weight due to height. This is a very unfair disadvantage, costing relatively bucket-loads of time, and is a real issue this year with cars not under the minimum weight. This is wrong, as if I was an F1 driver, at 87kg compared to Massa's 59kg, he would have 1sec per lap advantage on me before we even turned a wheel! (then the little f****r would be going on and on, Nico Rosberg style, about how he was quicker than me!!!*)

*This assumes me having F1 level talent! :p

Winner: Kvyat

9.SAUBER
My word do Sauber suck this year. Their team must have been put together by N.Jones for this year. :p
What good things can I say? The drivers aren't great, though I like Gutierrez, the livery is f*****g awful (sorry for my language today using all stars, not really like me, must be picking it up from work...), why can't they do a great early 90's black livery instead of HRT 2010 granite?

Sutil has sadly been shocking, outqualified by Gutierrez 4-2. However, this is certainly due to the unfair disadvantage of weight caused by height again. It just shows if a car is over the minimum weight limit, then the drivers are left completely exposed to their personal weight having a massive effect on lap time, not just a small-ish one like before. So really, he is a dead duck in the water. It feels wrong and un-natural that Gutierrez is outqualifying him so much as Sutil isn't bad.

Esteban has stepped up though I think, though qualifying in Australia and China shows the leap hasn't been that huge. It's good to see him more confident and prepared than 2013. It's hard to see though as both drivers are terribly hampered by the car.

Worse still, it has been revealed today that Sauber's situation is so bad that it looks like they are up for sale, and simply have no money to fix their problems. This means they appear worse off than Williams in 2013, and it's hard to see where they go from here, except just trying to simply survive.

Winner: Gutierrez

rjbetty
27th May 2014, 12:52
10.MARUSSIA
Marussia are a team that have taken a lot of stick from many observers, all of who seem the type to suck everything good and positive out of life. Marussia have really impressed me a great deal, and I understand that Formula 1 these days is simply not a place where you can turn up and be successful, like Sauber in 1993. Peter Sauber said MANY years ago that F1 has changed (speaking when he said this) and his team simply wouldn't be able to have that kind of debut now. And that was around 15 years ago! How much more impossible would it be now. Sadly, I believe Bernie has an ulterior motive and is trying to break the smaller teams in order to pursue his goal of customer cars - I don't know why, suffice to say it probably ends up giving him more money and control.

I am disappointed in how few people seem to understand how well Marussia are doing. I actually believe they are better run than many top teams, including McLaren and especially Ferrari. In fact, they may be the 4th best run team out there, pound for pound, behind Red Bull, Force India and Mercedes...

I have watched this team, and they have not been sitting around over the years, but have patiently built up the team, put in groundwork all the time, and been very professional all the time. It's a far cry from the start with Nick Wirth's CFD stuff and a too small fuel tank. I will say again, if this team were around in 1988 I believe they could well be around 3rd-6th in the WCC.

Fisi, er I mean Bianchi, has continued to be a great asset after a shaky start, and was just brilliant in Monte-Carlo. He has been very much like his predecessor in managing to extract a shock result for a little team. I'm glad Coulthard also noticed the similarities. This is why I am quite fond of Bianchi as he seems like a Fisichella 2.0, and looks like he will have the career Fisi should have had, without crumbling in a top team, and without having his entire career basically stuffed over by Flav. :(

I'm surprised how I'm not more excited about his points finish - I guess it hasn't really sunk in yet.

Max Chilton has done a better job this season too, and has looked better in every way since last season. His ability to not cost the team money through crashes is probably more important than realised and though not the fastest on the grid, he works for and with the team very well in every other way. I'm glad he got another chance, as it was good to have him consolidated rather than starting yet again with a new pay driver.

Winner: Bianchi

11.CATERHAM
Sadly their team owner has thrown in the towel, though really I feel his heart hasn't been in it since changing from Team Lotus to Caterham. It's disappointing as I hoped he would invest and be in it for the long haul, but it seems like he's into footie instead, and I know he'll be banned for this. :p

Frankly, it has been a real let down to see Tony Fernandes' attitude and approach this year compared to Marussia. Despite being hampered by Renault engines, they still don't seem much quicker than last year, which is such a shame as Kobayashi's great 15th on the grid in Melbourne showed promise. Sadly, the team look to just be going through the motions now until they're sold or disbanded. ;(

Kobayashi was a decent signing, though I believe Kovalainen was underrated following his McLaren years and could be quicker. But his attitude in the end was poor and I think maybe because of that it was right not to sign him... That's sad because in the first years, Kovalainen's attitude was great and he led the team very well.

It's good that Kamui looks like he's trying to do well, and isn't just himself going through the motions. It's hard to tell how well he is doing, or how well he can do, as missing a year has been shown to be a big disadvantage. 15th on the grid in Melbourne can't be too bad though. He has had a fairly large gap over rookie Ericsson, but some of this is again due to driver weight...

Marcus Ericsson has been very competent I think, though nothing a Lucas di Grassi, Jerome D'Ambrosio or Charles Pic couldn't do.

Winner: Kobayashi

dj_bytedisaster
27th May 2014, 22:42
1.MERCEDES
Well I didn't dare think they'd be this good. Not the most dominant team ever, but not since 1988 have there been 2 drivers so competitive. Rosberg continues to be better than most of us thought he'd be (i.e.) pushing Hamilton hard, though maybe the team bosses favour him more. As good as Nico has been however, Hamilton has a definitive advantage, though Rosberg is close enough to absolutely be a title danger, and take advantage of any bad situation for Lewis.
Winner: Hamilton

Whoot? Merc are better than we are allowed to see. Remember - there is talk that Nico allegedly didn't turn his engine down in Bahrain while Lewis allegedly did. Yet both of them ran 2.5 seconds faster than anyone else. If they would open the taps fully we are probably talking 3 to 4 seconds a lap. It's an absolute mockery and since februarry 28th the status quo has been cemented, since engine development is verboten. This year makes 1988 look exciting. Drivers and constructors championship will not be contested this year. They just go to the ones who were best on Feb 28th.

donKey jote
27th May 2014, 23:52
Sad but true.
Congrats Merc though.

journeyman racer
28th May 2014, 00:46
This year makes 1988 look exciting. 88 was exciting. Interesting and intriguing too.

steveaki13
28th May 2014, 00:47
Nice thoughts rjbetty

Here are mine.

1. Mercedes
- Well they have been amazing this season and In pre season I thought they would be a championship challenger but I never saw them winning the first 6 races with 5 1-2's and only one retirement. They seem to have a huge advantage with their engine and on most circuits that pushes them 0.5-1.0 second clear. They proved something else in Monaco. That the car is slightly faster than Red Bull even on slow circuits. Thus I cant really see them being beaten until at least 2/3rds of the season has gone. Either when Red Bull finally close that gap or Mercedes stop development on 2013 knowing they are going to win both titles.

As for their drivers: I feel Lewis has had the beating of Rosberg mostly. 4 wins to 2. Who knows what would have happened in Australia, but really Lewis would have probably finished 1st or 2nd and now lead the championship by 15 odd points. Anyway he doesnt.

Winner so far: Lewis Hamilton 58-42

2. Red Bull
- As you said rj, the team have done brilliantly. From being slow in the pre season they now are clearly 2nd best. They appear to be almost matching Mercedes in faster corners, but they are still 06-1.0 second behind most races. Lets hope they can continue to improve and really start pressuring Mercedes. Might be interesting to see how fast Mercedes can go when pushed fully.

Drivers: Ricciardo has generally been amazing. He has matched and then beaten Vettel quite a few times. It does appear Seb is having some problems getting to grips with the new car. He has of course not been helped by the amazing turn around in the reliability situations.

Winner so far: Ricciardo 60-40 (some of that is unreliability) I reckon in pure driving its been 50-50 so far.

3. Force India
- This was tough, but I truly dont see Ferrari as being 3rd best. Alonso has been brilliant, but for me Force India I rank as currently 3rd.
Now the cars are sorted both Hulkenberg and Perez have run strongly in races and scored loads of points. I think they edge out Williams personally. Williams appear fast on fast circuits, but on slower ones they appear to struggle for pace. Thus Force India have got 3rd in my ranking. They have developed a fine car and I see them being strong all season.

Drivers: Perez has a podium and a few small points, while Hulkenberg has being scoring many 5ths and 6ths. Its a close thing and Perez has had car issues. I still rate Hulkenberg slightly in the lead. I hope he gets his Podium soon.

Winner so Far: Hulkenberg 54-46

4. Ferrari
- Just about creep ahead of Williams. Mostly though because of Alonso. He has again been amazing in my eyes. The car is actually pretty slow. I would say 1.3-1.8 seconds off the pace of Mercedes. This team is becoming a shadow of itself again. Its drifting back to the 1991-1993 sort of performance. If not worse. They desperately need to sign someone to make a difference. Adrian Newey or something.

Drivers: Alonso has been brilliant again. 3rd in the WDC with 6 finishes in the points and only one of those outside the top 6. His consistency and outright pace at times keep him way ahead of most drivers. Kimi looked good in Monaco until the collision under SC. Sadly I think he has been soundly beaten so far.

Winner so Far: Alonso 80-20

5. Williams
- They appear to have a fast car, but not as fast as pre season suggested. However after recent years its great to see Williams back up the front/midfield. The car appears fast on high speed tracks but whether its the drivers or car. They often seem to under perform when conditions are slippery or on a twisty circuit like Monaco.

Drivers: Bottas has been impressive for me. Massa looks the same as we have come to expect. He races well occasionally but to often makes errors or under performs. Bottas has been consistent and fast and has impressed me more. I wish I had kept him on for 2014 FGP.

Winner so Far: Bottas 63-37

6. Mclaren
- Terrible season once more for Mclaren. I remember saying that Mclaren dont often have two bad seasons in a row, but this looks like being the case despite 2-3 in Australia. The car looks plain slow despite the engine. Mclarens only points coming from keeping it on the track.

Drivers: I really like Kev Magnussen. He looks so committed and fast. He chucks the car around and is very exciting to watch. JB seems to me to be losing his enjoyment and edge. I wonder how much longer we will seem him as an F1 driver. That said JB is still bringing in more points

Winner so Far: Button 58-42

7. Lotus
- Well after the first couple of rounds, it looked like a tailend season. However the team and Grosjean are lifting themselves nicely and suddenly they seem favourites for 7th at the end of the season. The car has also been improving in terms of reliability. I hope they begin to pick up some more points. I rank them above Toro Rosso as I think they may outscore Toro Rosso from now.

Drivers: Grosjean seemed to be very frustrated early season and I wondered whether he might return to the crash days of 2012. However he has composed himself and excepted it and is now moving forward. 8 points in the last 2 races is a decent return. Maldonado is pretty average IMO but is still crashing far to often and will probably be dropped.

Winner so Far: Grosjean 75-25

8. Toro Rosso
- The car is a great little motor, but will struggle for a lack of in depth upgrades I guess. There is not much I can add.

Drivers: Kyvat has been fantastic and really surprised me. He looks fast and composed. That was one thing I didn't expect before the season started. I remember even thinking he could be out of his depth. I also think Vergne has done a great job and has potential to move up F1's teams. I could see him driving a Mclaren or Force India or something of that level.

Winner so Far: Vergne & Kyvat 50-50

9. Marussia
- While they are not as fast as Sauber I rate Marussia's effort ahead of the Swiss teams this season. The car is decent and looks generally closer to the pace than in previous seasons. The team as you said have spent less than most and really are doing better. I was so pleased to see the team get those points. That will payout greatly for 2015.

Drivers: Bianchi with those two points has probably won the season already really, but he has impressed and frustrated me at times this season. Twice I mentioned him in my Other mentions section of Driver of the Day and yet twice he also crashed early in races into a Sauber. That is really silly when your car needs to finish to have most chances of scoring a point. Chilton continues to finish every race and has improved IMO in 2014. However he is still behind Bianchi but only just. Chilton has 3 decent position finishes 13th twice and a 14th, while Binachi before the point had struggled to finish near the top 15.

Winner so Far: Bianchi 60-40

10. Caterham
- Although they have largely been the slowest team in 2014, I still rate them above Sauber so far. The cars have been reasonably reliable so far and has finished a fair few races. The team actually got a great 11th in Monaco which is their best finish ever in F1, but sadly it is nullified by Marussia's points.

Drivers: Kobayashi has impressed me at times. He has got ahead of some Saubers and raced them for periods of GPs but sadly not been able to hold it. Ericcson I have to be honest has largely gone unnoticed by me this season, but drove calmly in Monaco to secure that 11th place.

Winner so Far: Ericcson 53-47

11. Sauber
- Finally Sauber. What to say about this once decent team. They are fully deserved of my ranking of 11th this season IMO. They are marginally quicker than the two teams above, but not by much and often are racing Caterhams and Marussia's. On top of that they are terribly unreliable in 2014 and have 3 double retirements in 2014 and a best position of 11th and 12th in Round 1. Since then 16th is their best. I dare say soon they will score a few points but I only see 5-10 points for the season and only 9th in WCC.

Drivers: Terrible car but the drivers have been average too. I dont rate either massively and really they have achieved little so far. Sutil more and more makes me think he is past his time in F1 and he has been involved in 3 accidents this season so far. Gutierrez is slightly better IMO taking into account the future , but really they are hopeless.

Winner so Far: Gutierrez 53-47

journeyman racer
30th May 2014, 15:01
- I suppose it being the start of a new set of regs, it'll take time for teams/manufacturers to strengthen their weaknesses.

- My only issue with the noise, has been that it's harder to pick up on the intensity of the driving.

- If Mercedes engine is that good, what's going on with the other Merc teams? It seems to be that good, that McLaren, Williams and FIndia should be ahead of RB and Ferrari.

- With it being a two horse race for the driver's title, Brundle made a point (a rare one) at Monaco about all the little factors in the race becoming even more significant. Because it really could be the difference between winning and 2nd in the title. That sort of focus makes this season more intriguing in one sense, than others.

- I thought Ricciardo would get his moments in the sun off Vettel. But bloody hell, look at him go??? It's a heatwave!!!

- Blinded Senna fans often bang on about how he was faster than Prost, because he'd often out-qualify Prost. The same people would never acknowledge Prost's superior race pace. I mean, its the race which counts. Qualifying is there because there's no other way to fairly sort out a grid. I never read/hear about Rosberg's race pace...

- It will be very, very interesting to see what'll occur during a rain drenched race.

rjbetty
31st May 2014, 07:24
Whoot? Merc are better than we are allowed to see. Remember - there is talk that Nico allegedly didn't turn his engine down in Bahrain while Lewis allegedly did. Yet both of them ran 2.5 seconds faster than anyone else. If they would open the taps fully we are probably talking 3 to 4 seconds a lap.

That's almost as good as the 6sec per lap advantage Vettel's Red Bull used to have.

It's an absolute mockery and since februarry 28th the status quo has been cemented, since engine development is verboten.

Tough luck. Renault should have done their homework instead of wanting to have their cake and eat it. Besides, they do still put performance upgrades on, but simply in the name of reliability etc.

This year makes 1988 look exciting.

You're probably only saying that because it isn't Vettel out front. He's had a long enough run I think and it's long overdue someone else's turn now. Reminds me of the selfish kid who won't let anyone else have a go.

That is all. :p

driveace
31st May 2014, 18:33
Love your logic and answers rj

rjbetty
1st June 2014, 08:00
Love your logic and answers rj

Haha I'm just winding him up a bit :p

Though maybe there's some truth there too.

steveaki13
1st June 2014, 09:05
haha i'm just winding him up a bit :p

though maybe there's some truth there too.

naughty rj ;)

Malbec
2nd June 2014, 23:47
It's an absolute mockery and since februarry 28th the status quo has been cemented, since engine development is verboten.

Its very rare to read a comment that is simply so wrong.

The manufacturers have been writing new code for the power units race by race which is important because for Renault in particular software integration, not hardware has been the problem. Thats why we've seen substantial power and drivability improvements from Renault in particular since the start of the season, apparently somewhere near 40-50 bhp since February 28th. So much for the status quo.

As for hardware, the same rules apply as for the past few years where only reliability mods have been allowed. If those reliability changes allow the engine to be pushed harder so it produces more power well that would be just a happy coincidence wouldn't it….

Please do some research before posting utter drivel. Reading a few PR releases about engine upgrades brought by the manufacturers would easily prove you wrong and they have been widely publicised.

Malbec
2nd June 2014, 23:49
88 was exciting. Interesting and intriguing too.

Absolutely. Who were those two nobodies fighting for the championship in 1988 again? Their names escape me… Can't have been anyone too important.

MacFeegle
3rd June 2014, 00:02
You talk sence Mr Malbec. Not usual idiot on www.

How many here drive race car? Not great number. Feel Brabham, Cooper, Lotus. They think racing all personality not pilot. Bling Bling generation with Playstation and armchair and opinion.

Tazio
22nd July 2014, 16:31
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtAJZSMCAAAX2WO.png:large

Check out the mid-season comparisons. Some interesting stats that I will comment on later this evening.

airshifter
22nd July 2014, 18:03

Check out the mid-season comparisons. Some interesting stats that I will comment on later this evening.

Do you have a link for those Taz? The images don't scale with the screen, and my old eyes can't take it! It does look like a good simple format though, so I'm interested.

AndyL
22nd July 2014, 19:17
Try this:

AndyL
22nd July 2014, 19:25
It is an interesting comparison and well-presented. According to the red/green indicators, the two drivers who have been most comprehensively beaten by their team-mates are former and current world champions Raikkonen and Vettel! Raikkonen's no surprise, but in Vettel's case it doesn't tell the whole story: when you look at the championship points, the Red Bull drivers are proportionally closer together than any other pair of team-mates except Mercedes and the non-points-scorers.

MacFeegle
22nd July 2014, 20:53
Some good information but be used in situation to other information to.

Example is position gain in situation against qual position. Bad qual mean easier gain position.

Interesting fact experience making big difference in some team. Hulk, Jenson but not Red Bull where Ricc defy experience. This tell story?

Also Torro Rosso make no impact. Pilots ahead may fail to complete race but they not show improve. Why?

Tazio
23rd July 2014, 03:07
Statistics can be misleading, and it is helpful to know why for instance one driver has gained more places than his teammate, but all things considered I think that the average finishing position between teammates is very telling. Also it is interesting (to me) that Slash, and EG are in a really tight battle even though neither has scored a point. Seb, and DR are really well matched with Ric' edging him out in most categories, but that could still be turned around if SV finishes strongly!