PDA

View Full Version : Touring Car clothing/other stuff

kmchow
15th April 2007, 06:13
Besides models, I've recently been starting to pickup touring car related clothing/other stuff.

Actively, I've bought a '94 BTCC Volvo 850 Racing jacket, '96 BTCC Audi Sport jacket and '97 BTCC Volvo S40 Racing jacket.

I also noticed you could buy prepaid phone cards with pictures of touring card on them. I only bought a STW Audi A4 one. But I've seen some JTCC BMWs/Toyotas.

Or how about the annual press/media guide packages?
Over the past few years, I've picked up a BTCC Mondeo/Volvo/Peugeot/Honda/Nissan ones. My most prized one is probably the Nissan LeMans/JTCC one.

Anyone interested in these type of things?

SEATFreak
15th April 2007, 09:14
Where do you get that kind of stuff? :rotflmao:

Racing jackets from 10yrs ago is fine as are media guide packages (whatever they are). May be worth something in the future if you cash in on them at the right time. But prepaid phone cards that are probably obsolete? You must see some value in them because I sadly do not.

Do you accept absolotely anything that has anything to do with the BTCC?

As mad as it initially sounds, I give your credit for being able to be as obsessed as you are. :)

Iain
15th April 2007, 14:03
I've got my fair share of BTCC memorabilia from over the years. Have all the posters that I have collected from 1994 to the present, programmes from nearly every race I've attended and a lot of team clothing as well. I also for some reason have Rickard Rydell's pit garage sign from 1999 which I got from ebay. Not quite sure what to do with it, I might frame it and put it in my bedroom.

SEATFreak
15th April 2007, 14:36
Can anyone tell me if their anything petrolheads won't collect and worryingly is their any cut-off point? I have several posters somewhere in my room, a few cards, a SEAT cap and tee and two MG S&R baseball caps ("HotWheels" & "MG X-Power"), but whilst as far as the cards are concerned I would like more (because their small), I am already concerned about the amount of teamwear I have. Also, where in your homes do you put over 10yrs worth of jackets, signs, posters, programmes etc.?

Another point I must mention which you said yourself Iain.
Your not even sure what you even want to do with the garage sign from 1999. Fans do that it seems. Buy with no intended use.
Mind what do you do with most stuff except look at them I suppose.

ADnet
15th April 2007, 17:39
I have quite a bit of the teamwear, vxr team shirt, but mainly MG Xpower Hot Wheels Racing from 2002, have the team shirt, team pit jacket (long) 2 mg caps & 6ft by 4ft! then i have other capwise: egg sport, team rac, dunlop (who hasnt), and the awesome '99 team dynamics one!

tin-top fan
15th April 2007, 20:57
I have the rac and dunlop hats that were given out for free in the last few years ( surely everyone has one by now! ). I also have the BTCC t-shirt for this year with all of the race dates on the back.
Best item though must be a team halfords hat that has been signed by Howell, Eaves and Neal in 2005. It was signed at the Milton Keynes demo- matt signed it whilst sitting in the future championship winning car :D . Doubt if it's worth that much, but has good history for me :up:

Nick The Flick
15th April 2007, 21:37
I've got Dynamics clothing 99-present.

The 2005/06 Team Halfords clothing in very good for doing the gardening in. Or working in Halfords, I would imagine!

KILOHMUNNS
15th April 2007, 22:09
I've actually thinned down my collection as I had no where to store it, I got rid of all the posters, postcards, clothing, stickers (appart from the John Cleland stuff). Mainly collect the models and touring car photos from 59 to present, and all programmes from the meetings I go to. I also have a lot a series/media guides and some autosport suppliments.

kmchow
15th April 2007, 23:04
Ahhh, ok, so it's just not me!! :D You're right, petrolheads will collect anything. The clothing I actively wear, but on reduced schedule/frequency to protect it's condition.

The media guides/kits which introduce the teams/drivers/cars I sometimes display them around the home, kinda like a season display or museum. I acquired most of the mediaguides by contacting the racing teams directly. The Jackets I bought on Ebay.

I expect the phone card are used/expired, but it's neat to see a touring car printed on one of those.

kmchow
15th April 2007, 23:05
I know in the US, you get Nascar or hockey team branded credit cards with pictures/drivers of your favourite teams, same concept.

BM
15th April 2007, 23:39
On the subject of other stuff, I have podium hats and champagne bottles signed by drivers, and a bottle from the last race of 2000 signed by Jenson Button as well!

kmchow
16th April 2007, 01:19
A while back I missed a deal for the Vodafone Nissan jacket and also a Ford Mondeo racing team jacket from the ST days.

SEATFreak
16th April 2007, 09:02
You're right, petrolheads will collect anything.

Isn't the saddest thing to collect parts of damaged cars though? The way they act like vultures fighting over a piece of scratched bumper has me in stiches every time. :laugh:

The clothing I actively wear, but on reduced schedule/frequency to protect it's condition.

Reduced schedule/frequency?! We can be talking about a t-shirt, right?! :rotflmao:

The things some motorsport fans are prepared to do!! Great entertainment though for spectators like me! :laugh:

The media guides/kits which introduce the teams/drivers/cars I sometimes display them around the home, kinda like a season display or museum. I acquired most of the mediaguides by contacting the racing teams directly.

Sounds like a raceday programme to me which you can buy for a fiver at the entrance.

I expect the phone card are used/expired, but it's neat to see a touring car printed on one of those.

I have a touring car tatood on my arse! Wanna see it?! :rotflmao:

tin-top fan
16th April 2007, 12:12
Reduced schedule/frequency?! We can be talking about a t-shirt, right?! :rotflmao:

The things some motorsport fans are prepared to do!! Great entertainment though for spectators like me! :laugh:

I do the same kind of thing with some of my stuff as well, not sure me and kmchhow are the only people to do this either. Remember, if you come onto a forum for touring cars, you will not find a lot of the casual fans!

Sounds like a raceday programme to me which you can buy for a fiver at the entrance.

Definitly not. The team's media guide is ( as the name suggests) only given to the media, so cannot normally be bought for any price. Normally contains info on the car and drivers along with all the press photos that they had done.

I have a touring car tatood on my arse! Wanna see it?! :rotflmao:

And you wonder why some people become annoyed with you.....

Iain
16th April 2007, 12:49
SEATFreak, stop being annoying and being rude to other posters please.

Les
16th April 2007, 13:00
must admit my collection is getting a little OTT. I also have the champers, podium hats, media stuff and the occasional programs that is flung my way (refuse to pay for them as they are 80% the same as the last round).

Neil Adams
16th April 2007, 13:10
best bit of memorobilia i have has to be my 1998 mansell grid sign

also have btcc annuals, review videos / dvds, btcc models, event programmes, and random stuff from pitlane giveaways, cards, caps etc

im not into touring car clothing at all, although i've had my own baseball caps made up for the site, so those are quite rare! only 6 in existence

Iain
16th April 2007, 13:21
I saw at least 3 of those caps standing in a row in front of me at Paddock the other week!

The best bits of memorabilia are the one off items. Something nobody else will have. :)

SEATFreak
16th April 2007, 16:23
SEATFreak, stop being annoying and being rude to other posters please.

I know. Not nice, is it? Still, atleast it was said in joke. I only wish it was said in jest to me.

Now about this media pack. If I contacted SEAT would I be able to get my hands on atleast one old one they may have lying around gathering dust? I would love to know about the technical spec of the current model, the Leon, especially. I also hope to know more about most race cars of the past and present through time. I feel, as a SEAT fan and a spectator of the BTCC, it is my duty to ensure I arm myself with what is vital knowledge. If I do not even know the technical spec of most race cars (past and present) then where is the hope for me as a member?

Iain
16th April 2007, 16:54
You could try contacting them like you say and maybe they will have something lying around. :up: But then it'll more than likely just repeat what's available online at Seatsportuk.co.uk. That's what I've found with press packs from other teams anyway.

SEATFreak
16th April 2007, 18:13
I was thinking about that. I don't want to go getting them if it only repeats what can be simply found on the net with a modicum of effort.

I have thus far jested (and jested is all honestly - sincerely speaking no offence intended to anyone), but I can in all honesty see the appeal of collecting the things mentioned. Especially apparell like magazines and guides not available in the manstream. One point of collecting is to search for things that are rare and/or unique. And what a better item than guides only available once to the press and/or media? Not bulky, cheap and will only acumilate in value.

I commend you all for your dedication. :up:

Neil Adams
16th April 2007, 23:48
I saw at least 3 of those caps standing in a row in front of me at Paddock the other week!

lol, this must have been me, my brother and my dad!

kmchow
17th April 2007, 05:12
best bit of memorobilia i have has to be my 1998 mansell grid sign
So how did you manage to score that?

im not into touring car clothing at all, although i've had my own baseball caps made up for the site, so those are quite rare! only 6 in existence
You should try and buy a jacket to find out for yourself. You never know! :D
Has anyone scored out ST bodyparts or panels? The closest I got was a Michelin Pilot tire.

Neil Adams
17th April 2007, 21:01
it was sold on ebay by an ex wsr employee! got it for under a hundred, not that i plan to sell it on but im sure it'd reach lots more than that at auction

Pic of
http://www.s109494890.websitehome.co.uk/webpx/DSC00052man.jpg

lol re the jacket!
i've seen a lot of panels on ebay but have stopped myself so far!

NoahsGirl
19th April 2007, 21:20
I have a VXR t-shirt, but the zip is knackered so will have to get it fixed. Had a T-shirt made up, especially for the 2005 Knockhill round, but the clown spelt Muller wrong. Thankfully I didn't pay for it and it was consigned to the bin!

Iain
19th April 2007, 21:26
Suzy and I got a pair of "TURKINGTON 8" t shirts made up in 2004 at the tail-end of the season and wore them at the final round at Donington Park. Her one is more of a collector's item than mine is though. ;)

suzy m
20th April 2007, 22:56
Her one is more of a collector's item than mine is though.

It is indeed. :D

SEATFreak
21st April 2007, 09:41
I have a VXR t-shirt, but the zip is knackered so will have to get it fixed.

Ah well, VXR. Known for making rubbish quality gear! :p :

And before anyone says....is was a bit of humour on my part. :p :

Speaking of VXR though, I have been wondering if VXR gear would be worth more that SEAT gear because they have been more succesful than SEAT or worth less because their is a much bigger range and more are likely to have been bough up by more.

tin-top fan
21st April 2007, 10:35
I think both would be pretty worthless as they stand tbh- u only have to look on Ebay to see how much of both lots there are availible. The rarer item's are likely to be the more valuable one ( like I expect proton team wear will become quite exclusive)

SEATFreak
21st April 2007, 13:24
What about MG S&R? British team who only ran from I think about near to the end of the 2001 season when they debuted at Silverstone to the end of the 2003.

I mention them because I have an X-Power cap signed by Rob Collard in 2005 which I remember someone working for the team just throwing loads away to the fans during the walkabout at Croft. But I think one cap that predeeded it, the Hotwheels cap (which I also have), only lasted for one season.

LiamM
21st April 2007, 13:56
Its a very objective market, to some people it may be worth alot, to others its worthless! If I had to say anything SEAT stuff is more expensive as they don't really have stalls at events - you have to buy through a SEAT dealer, whereas VX sell tons every race weekend via their stalls at the track. But we're talking pittance really

kmchow
21st April 2007, 17:06
I think both would be pretty worthless as they stand tbh- u only have to look on Ebay to see how much of both lots there are availible. The rarer item's are likely to be the more valuable one ( like I expect proton team wear will become quite exclusive)
I agree. But recently, I noticed alot more WTCC and Chevy Motorsports stuff on Ebay as well. For some reason, I'm more interested in those 2 brands.

msport-images
23rd April 2007, 19:40
hmmmm ... some good stuff flying around here ..

I aquired ( from the team ) back in the early 90's some genuine pit kit from VLM , the Omega Team jacket , the green team T shirt short sleeve and the long sleeve sweat shirt ( listerine etc ).

I also have genuine Steve Soper sweat shirt .

Amongst tons of other stuff i have packed away , mags etc etc.

cheers all

kmchow
29th April 2007, 03:20
Several years ago, there was a guy selling a touring car alloy wheel signed by Anthony Reid. he was asking just 50GBP for the wheel, but the shipping to North America would probably kill me.

It would go well with that Supertouring Michelin Pilot tire I kept as a souvenir one year. You should have seen the look on everyone's faces when I brought that tire on the public transit back home.

But I didn't have the room to display it either. Have you seen those glass coffee tables made up of a racing wheel? That would be cool.