PDA

View Full Version : Rate/Review the Race (Monaco)

steveaki13
25th May 2014, 15:28
Give the race a score out of 10 and give your views of this Monaco GP

steveaki13
25th May 2014, 17:07
Well I think that was one of the best Monaco GPs for a few years. Probably since 2010 maybe.

I enjoyed the race and rate it as 7/10

There was some really great overtakes, especially when you think there was no DRS involved. :)

Sutil really drove well early on passing Ericcson/Kobayashi and Grosjean I seem to remember.

Hulkenberg's pass was the first I can remember at Portier for many years. Stunning move and great driving by Magnussen to realise it was happening.

Kobayashi drove well early on, but I dont know what happened to him in the second half of the race. He end 3 laps down.

Bianchi done so well to score points and really that could force Caterham into closer. They have been struggling and they can no longer hope to beat Marussia in 2014 surely.

I think this was a good race and look forward to Canada which is usually a good one too.

steveaki13
25th May 2014, 17:17
Also forgot to mention Bianchi's pass on Kobayashi. A bit of contact but F1 shouldn't be a non contact sport. F1 has also had a bit of wheel banging.

MacFeegle
25th May 2014, 17:58
I understand Mr Steve but Monaco never good today. Pilot has to risk crash to overtake and pilot 2 has to give up corner or crash.

For monaco race good but still 4/10 and look to circuit gilles for better F1 :up:

driveace
25th May 2014, 20:42
I gave it a 3 out of 10 .Sour taste before race after quali,AND the chances or really good racing is difficult with very few places to overtake ,for the front runners ..Its OK if your down the field and its shit or bust ,but if you really need to score points up at the front end then caution is the champion !

zako85
25th May 2014, 23:12
This was a pretty good race, above average and above expectations. Rosberg keeps the championship alive. Many battles involving Hamilton with Rosberg and Ricciardo. Lots of mechanical carnage.

At this point I start admiring the consistency and speed of Hulkenberg in Force India. If this year doesn't prove that he is a top team material, I don't know what could. Unfortunately, it seems like Ferrari, Mercedes, and Red Bull seats are already booked for years to come. The only interesting team he could possibly go to in future could be McLaren.

N. Jones
26th May 2014, 01:56
Let's put this to bed:

About ten years ago the FIA created the first ever fan survey of Formula 1. One of the questions asked was which one GP, if left off the calendar, would cause you to stop watching F1.

Monaco was second.

The race ain't going anywhere. Get used to it.

Tazio
26th May 2014, 02:16
I found the race entertaining, I'll give it a 4.76.

Storm
26th May 2014, 10:25
4/10 not very exciting
the cars were not even loud inside the tunnel...racing was okay with a couple of good passes.

Whyzars
27th May 2014, 12:56
For Monaco, this was not too shabby.

It had:

A turning circle issue at the hairpin. Way to go Kimi!

A controversial yellow flag in the last ticks of qualifying paving the way for a dominant win. Way to go Nico!

Maldonado not flipping a car on its head. Way to go Pastor!

Another brilliant podium advertisement for whoever did the job on Ricciardo's teeth. Way to go Daniel (and way to go Mr Dentist).

Two overdue points for Marussia. Way to go Jules (and the whole team)!

Thats enough and I haven't mentioned the sweet passes and the knife edge losses out of the tunnel.

The Red Bull of Vettel going out early was disappointing for me. Not good fortune for a defending world champion whose team mate is showing the cars capabilities. Get 'em in Canada Seb!

For this Monaco Grand Prix, a solid 7 out of 10.

rjbetty
27th May 2014, 13:00
I give 8 out of 10. This is as old school a race as we are ever going to get again really?

Whyzars, why do you suggest that Rosberg dominated Hamilton...? *looks confused* Could very well have been a 5th Hamilton victory, on one of Rosberg's stronger tracks, had it not been for Nico's extremely fortunately timed mistake (he didn't make any in the race).

henners88
27th May 2014, 13:52
6/10 Classic Monaco.

Whyzars
27th May 2014, 14:04
I give 8 out of 10. This is as old school a race as we are ever going to get again really?

Whyzars, why do you suggest that Rosberg dominated Hamilton...? *looks confused* Could very well have been a 5th Hamilton victory, on one of Rosberg's stronger tracks, had it not been for Nico's extremely fortunately timed mistake (he didn't make any in the race).

I didn't say he dominated Lewis, I said it was a dominant win after a controversial yellow flag in qualifying. Pole was always going to be a significant advantage.

Rosberg had to lead from start to finish for any chance of overcoming the controversy. He did all that he needed to do and being in front he could manage his car for the long game far easier.

As Ricciardo found when he caught up to Lewis in the closing stages, the Mercedes takes no time at all to wind up and that would make them almost impossible to pass on a track like Monaco. Once a Mercedes is in front it tends to stay there.

I've said before that I believe Lewis has Nico's measure. It is not beyond imaginings that we will see Lewis win every race from here on but thats a pretty big ask. Nico picking up a race here and there would not be unexpected because he's a bloody good driver.

2014 should be Lewis' world championship.

Bagwan
27th May 2014, 15:02
Whilst I do think that Lewis has the edge , I am also getting the feeling that Nico now fully understands how he can utilize the kryptonite to get into Hamilton's head .

Button's out saying Lewis comes back stronger when he comes out the other side of these tizzies , but we know Jensen as a team guy so far , always following instructions to the letter as far as I can recall .

But , both Nico and Lewis have shown they will refuse to "toe the line" when they feel they should get across the line first .

I expect Nico to come out with some good lines just before Montreal , to try to induce a wobble .

For those thinking about how Merc might be manipulating here , how could they have engineered that final Q3 lap ?
I don't think it's so much manipulation , but rather , just letting it happen .

But , whatever it is , I'm loving it , and I doubted I would be saying anything like that as the season began with Merc so far ahead .
I can't wait for the next race . I can't believe it .

henners88
27th May 2014, 15:14
For those thinking about how Merc might be manipulating here , how could they have engineered that final Q3 lap ?
I don't think it's so much manipulation , but rather , just letting it happen .
I don't think anybody is suggesting Mercedes planned the final lap of Q3 but more likely are enjoying the publicity once it happened. It doesn't do their brand or image any harm whatsoever.

Nico has known Lewis for years and has raced against him for years. I don't think Nico suddenly 'knows how to get into Hamilton's head'. Nico was sulky after Bahrain and made it clear he wasn't happy finishing behind his team mate. Then in China he had an awful qualifying and span the car at the end of Q3. Was Hamilton in his head then? I think yourself and others are perhaps hoping rather than closer to the truth. Hamilton has had some shaky moments in the past and so have the like of Vettel, Alonso and Button who are regarded as top drivers and World Champions. Its human nature to be frustrated and I'd much rather an annoyed racing driver looking sulky in front of the media than a trained PR professional who gives the same generic answers and gives nothing away.

Canada will be exciting and I hope Lewis returns the favour. I'm all for a rivalry and think it brings out the best in a driver. Lets not forget Lewis has beaten 2 WDC's under pressure within the same team so its familiar territory.

MacFeegle
27th May 2014, 21:55
You clever chap Mr Henners.

Merc so ahead they rub hand at talk. They know Merc pilot win and Merc Wcc also

They let fight go as news inches grow. Win and win and win also

Invest in F1 now look cheap in German boss head

Bagwan
28th May 2014, 02:24
It may not be that it's so "suddenly" that he's found out how to get into his head , but it sure worked out that way .

Didn't Hamilton react to someone outqualifying him by tweeting telemetry one time ?
He certainly can be destabilized by a team-mate .

Others can as well , to be sure , but Lewis is often quite animated about it .
It's one of the things I like about him .

As long as the stewards say they are playing fair , I really do want them each to get in each other's heads , so we can see a crazy battle .
And , maybe if they do chip a little carbon fiber out there , we might see someone else get a look in for a race or two .

Oh yeah , of course Merc are loving it , even if they might feign dismay at the two fighting boys .
And , of course Mr Henners clever chap ungawa .

henners88
28th May 2014, 08:37
Hamilton and Vettel are very alike when it comes to public displays of frustration, yet are two of the best drivers on the grid and draw strength from such scenario's. I think based on previous history, this will make Hamilton's title challenge stronger, so perhaps Nico getting into his head isn't quite the advantage some like to believe? Time will tell of course.

Mia 01
28th May 2014, 14:20
Even after that Chilton got Kimi a flat tire I liked the race this year. For a Monaco race i give it 8/10.

yodasarmpit
28th May 2014, 15:58
5 out of 10 at best, which is good for Monaco.

Pretty much follow the leader throughout.