PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Spanish GP Thread

steveaki13
6th May 2014, 11:37
Well a 3 week gap is coming towards an end and so with the lack of activity here this last week I felt it time to open this thread. I suppose its a case of which Merc driver will win. You would have to say Hamilton is favourite considering the last 3 races. After that Red BUll and Alonso will probably be strong.

Drivers Championship after 4 Rounds

Nico Rosberg
Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes

Fernando Alonso
Ferrari

Nico Hulkenberg
Force India

Sebastian Vettel
Red Bull

Daniel Ricciardo
Red Bull

Valterri Bottas
Williams

Jenson Button
Mclaren

Kevin Magnussen
Mclaren

Sergio Perez
Force India

Felipe Massa
Williams

Kimi Raikkonen
Ferrari

Jean Eric Vergne
Toro Rosso

Danii Kyvat
Toro Rosso

Romain Grosjean
Lotus

Adrian Sutil
Sauber

Esteban Gutierrez
Sauber

Max Chilton
Marussia

Kamui Koabayashi
Caterham

Pastor Maldonado
Lotus

Jules Bianchi
Marussia

Marus Ericsson
Caterham

Constructors Championship after 4 Rounds

Mercedes

Red Bull

Force India

Ferrari

Mclaren

Williams

Toro Rosso

Lotus

Sauber

Marussia

Caterham

2014 Spanish GP, Circuit de Catalunya, Montmelo, Spain

9th - 11th May

66 Laps

Times are Local and (UK times). (Sorry about that :vampire: )
FP1: 9th May -10:00am -11:30am - (9:00am-10:30am)
FP2: 9th May -14:00pm - 15:30pm - (13:00pm-14:30pm)

FP3: 10th May - 11:00am - 12:00pm - (10:00am-11:00am)
Quali:10th May - 14:00pm- (13:00pm)

Race: 11th May - 14:00pm - (13:00pm)

Previous Winners
1991: Nigel Mansell - Williams
1992: Nigel Mansell - Williams
1993: Alain Prost - Williams
1994: Damon Hill - Williams
1995: Michael Schumacher - Benetton
1996: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
1997: Jacques Villeneuve - Williams
1998: Mika Hakkinen - Mclaren
1999: Mika Hakinen - Mclaren
2000: Mika Hakkinen - Mclaren
2001: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2002: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2003: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2004: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2005: Kimi Raikkonen - Mclaren
2006: Fernando Alonso - Renault
2007: Felipe Massa - Ferrari
2008: Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
2009: Jenson Button - Brawn
2010: Mark Webber - Red Bull
2011: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
2012: Pastor Maldonado - Williams
2013: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari

Most Wins
Michael Schumacher - 6 wins
Mika Hakkinen - 3 wins
Fernando Alonso - 3 wins
Nigel Mansell - 2 wins
Kimi Raikkonen - 2 wins
Alain Prost - 1 win
Felipe Massa -1 win
Damon Hill - 1 win
Jacques Villeneuve - 1 win
Mark Webber - 1 win
Sebastian Vettel - 1 win
Pastor Maldonado - 1 win
Jenson Button - 1 win

Ferrari - 8 wins
Williams - 6 wins
Mclaren - 4 wins
Red Bull - 2 wins
Benetton - 1 win
Brawn - 1 win
Renault - 1 win

*So looking a those stats. Schumi has bossed it, while last season Alonso took his second home win.

Oh well lets see what Catalunya holds this year part from Merc domination.

driveace
6th May 2014, 20:10
Hope the Mercs still are in control,but if Ross has been to Marinello to sign up to work for them ,that may help there cause .

MacFeegle
6th May 2014, 22:52
Mr Steve man. You have too much time buddy. Need Girl? I know site :D

Good stats :)

steveaki13
6th May 2014, 23:11
Mr Steve man. You have too much time buddy. Need Girl? I know site :D

Good stats :)

No Job = To much time. :p

steveaki13
6th May 2014, 23:12
Looking forward to this weekend

Duncan
7th May 2014, 01:34
I guess the favorite has to be Lewis (and I'll be cheering for him...) but the big wildcard after a three week gap has to be exactly what upgrades the teams will bring. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see Ferrari and RB bring some upgrades that close the gap to Mercedes somewhat, but actually being competitive seems like a longshot.

Either way, glad to have the most interesting racing in quite some time... roll on Friday!

Tazio
7th May 2014, 11:40
:confused: :beer:

andyone
7th May 2014, 13:40
hmm so Hamilton Never Won here.. he will be very much eager to win this race.. i wish him luck.

steveaki13
7th May 2014, 15:05
I wonder how much of an improved car Mercedes can bring to Spin. I mean we would expect the other teams to close the gap on Mercedes. However I just wonder if Mercedes can improve their car. Lets hope its so fast that they cannot improve anymore and it allows Ferrari, Red Bull and others to close the gap.

andyone
7th May 2014, 19:34
Redbull has given Vettel a new chasis for spain. hmm if he doesnt come on top i guess Redbull are in for a bad season.

driveace
7th May 2014, 21:11
We know the RB chassis is good ,as other drivers have told about the RBs ability to overtake on difficult corners . The problem seems to be in the engine department ,but they can only work on the engine for safety and reliability issues ,so if all of a sudden the Renault engine is a cracker ,do we smell a rat ?

rjbetty
8th May 2014, 04:27
No Job = To much time. :p

Oh... I'm sorry about that, and hope it doesn't last too long. I know how that is... :(
I thought you had been doing an outdoor job...? (I did that for a conservation trust volunteering, it was great :) )

NO Macfeegle! I did kinda try online chat/dating cos my life wasn't social enough. Though there are some good people, many, many are psychos and/or sociopaths who will cause your life to be temporarily ruined!!

Back on Topic:

Which Spanish GP's have been good ones?? I didn't bother watching 1997 cos I took one look at the track, it didn't live up to Monaco, the race that made me become an F1 fan.

Watched 1998 till my favourite driver collided with my sister's favourite driver, then went upstairs to play GP2!

The 1999 race was so boring it had F1 in a mini-crisis. But I well remember the crazy qualifying in which Alesi in a Sauber went out early and set provisional pole, which the top teams couldn't beat for much of the session! Eventually they scraped past and Irvine had provisional pole, unbeaten and looking like he finally had a pole position, until Hakkinen made one last go at the flag and did it by 0.131sec iirc... Alesi was 5th, just 0.300 off pole. In the race, Villeneuve made a great start from 6th to run 3rd for much of the race holding up the Ferraris until retiring again. Hill passed Barrichello for 7th by the end, causing Rubens to moan. He was then DSQd anyway. R.Schumacher impressed with another good drive for Williams-Supertec in 5th, but a real impression was made on me by Jarno Trulli, who in a race of little attrition finished a strong 6th in the Prost.

Many races haven't actually been that boring: I enjoyed all the races from 2000-2002.

Tazio
8th May 2014, 13:02
so if all of a sudden the Renault engine is a cracker ,do we smell a rat ?I don't think so. That smell is most likely SV's new chassis, I understand he has named it
"Sabine's Stinky Knickers" :uhoh: :angel:

steveaki13
8th May 2014, 13:30
Oh... I'm sorry about that, and hope it doesn't last too long. I know how that is... :(
I thought you had been doing an outdoor job...? (I did that for a conservation trust volunteering, it was great :) )

NO Macfeegle! I did kinda try online chat/dating cos my life wasn't social enough. Though there are some good people, many, many are psychos and/or sociopaths who will cause your life to be temporarily ruined!!

Back on Topic:

Which Spanish GP's have been good ones?? I didn't bother watching 1997 cos I took one look at the track, it didn't live up to Monaco, the race that made me become an F1 fan.

Watched 1998 till my favourite driver collided with my sister's favourite driver, then went upstairs to play GP2!

The 1999 race was so boring it had F1 in a mini-crisis. But I well remember the crazy qualifying in which Alesi in a Sauber went out early and set provisional pole, which the top teams couldn't beat for much of the session! Eventually they scraped past and Irvine had provisional pole, unbeaten and looking like he finally had a pole position, until Hakkinen made one last go at the flag and did it by 0.131sec iirc... Alesi was 5th, just 0.300 off pole. In the race, Villeneuve made a great start from 6th to run 3rd for much of the race holding up the Ferraris until retiring again. Hill passed Barrichello for 7th by the end, causing Rubens to moan. He was then DSQd anyway. R.Schumacher impressed with another good drive for Williams-Supertec in 5th, but a real impression was made on me by Jarno Trulli, who in a race of little attrition finished a strong 6th in the Prost.

Many races haven't actually been that boring: I enjoyed all the races from 2000-2002.

Thanks Rjbetty.

Yer I broke my foot so lost me job as a Gardener. Anyway its about better now, so its time to look for a new job.

Anyway back on topic again.

Your right. The general view is that F1 is dull at Catalunya but half the races have been OK.

I enjoyed in particular 1994 or 1995 cant remember which one.

1996 was brilliant with only 6 finishing and Schumi winning in such style
1997 and the tyre issues made for a dramatic race
2000 had some good moments. Like Schumacher shunting little bro aside so Barrichello could pass.
2001 was a decent race, with DC coming from the back and Hakkinen retiring on the last lap.
2002 had some great battling in the midfield as did 2003.
I must admit 2005-2008 strike me as quite dull
2009 had a decent race between the two Brawns on different strategies.
2011 I think was a great battle between Vettel and Hamilton I seem to remember and 2012 had a shock Williams win, but it wasnt a great race.

I hope 2014 can be OK too.

Tazio
8th May 2014, 15:15
2004 was mildly interesting due to Mike developing a cracked exhaust manifold about 1/3 of the way into the race, but he still won easily.

jens
8th May 2014, 15:31
If you ask for the most interesting Spanish GP, then I have trouble remembering one, since I wasn't watching the 1996 wet race. And ever since then there have been no wet races in Spain.

The one thing that strikes to my mind is my fave Trulli rocketing into the race lead from fourth on the grid in 2004, right ahead of the dominant Michael Schumacher in the Ferrari.

Other than that... I remember 2011 being mildly interesting with various tyre strategies going on and Vettel just holding off Hamilton in the end. I vaguely even remember comments like "wow, finally even the Spanish Grand Prix was interesting. Who would have thought that!"

rjbetty
8th May 2014, 17:00
[QUOTE=jens;991905]
The one thing that strikes to my mind is my fave Trulli rocketing into the race lead from fourth on the grid in 2004, right ahead of the dominant Michael Schumacher in the Ferrari.QUOTE]

He finished 3rd behind the Ferraris, holding off Alonso. The 2003 race was notable for Alonso's AMAZING drive, and for me, Firman holding off a recovering Button for 8th. I also enjoyed Ralf and da Matta having a long fight for 5th.

steveaki13
8th May 2014, 19:04
[QUOTE=jens;991905]
The one thing that strikes to my mind is my fave Trulli rocketing into the race lead from fourth on the grid in 2004, right ahead of the dominant Michael Schumacher in the Ferrari.QUOTE]

He finished 3rd behind the Ferraris, holding off Alonso. The 2003 race was notable for Alonso's AMAZING drive, and for me, Firman holding off a recovering Button for 8th. I also enjoyed Ralf and da Matta having a long fight for 5th.

Was it 2003 that we saw an epic Jordan v Minardi fight for quite a few laps.

Bagwan
8th May 2014, 20:34
Ya know , I like it when you guys all have your reminiscences of way back races because it reminds me of all my memories of them .

Pinning the years on them helps a lot .

My heads too full to remember all those bits .
I have a hard enough time remembering what I had for breakfast .

Anyway , thanks .

steveaki13
9th May 2014, 00:11
Ya know , I like it when you guys all have your reminiscences of way back races because it reminds me of all my memories of them .

Pinning the years on them helps a lot .

My heads too full to remember all those bits .
I have a hard enough time remembering what I had for breakfast .

Anyway , thanks .

No worries. :p

AndyL
9th May 2014, 11:57
So Button topped the timesheets for quite a while in P1, until Hamilton went and stuck nine tenths on everyone else at the end. So Mercedes are still well ahead, but do we think this represents a step forward for McLaren - or do they flatter to deceive as they have sometimes done in P1 in the past?

Tazio
9th May 2014, 16:38
Possibly, still too early to tell, but they were decent in P2 dukie!

airshifter
10th May 2014, 05:13
Based on P2 times, both Ferrari and McLaren have clawed back a little time. Neither appears to be any match for the Mercedes just yet, but with some decent race pace they should be close enough to take advantage of any car problems or major driver errors. At least it appears there are three teams other than Mercedes that have the capability to reach the podium.

N4D13
10th May 2014, 14:05
Maldonado has just binned it! Now, if only he did that during the race and we got a safety car like in Bahrain... :P

Tazio
10th May 2014, 14:11
Mourning dukesters! :p: Maldo :laugh:

donKey jote
10th May 2014, 14:29
Mourning dukesters! :p: Maldo :laugh:
Hay gurlz :bandit:

Tazio
10th May 2014, 14:46
Donks :dork:

Tazio
10th May 2014, 14:50
Fred being schooled by Kimi :crazy:

Koz
10th May 2014, 14:50
Massa!! Grosjean!! Kimi?!

I hope Mr Lux slaps Madonado.

Koz
10th May 2014, 14:59
And here we have it: Vettel is the new Webber.

Tazio
10th May 2014, 15:01
What a shame ;)

pino
10th May 2014, 15:09
Come on Kimi !!!

andyone
10th May 2014, 15:12
And it is Hamilton Once Again takes the pole position.

pino
10th May 2014, 15:12
Already bored... Mercedes are just too fast :blackeye:

Koz
10th May 2014, 15:15
Grosjean and Bottas!!

Bagwan
10th May 2014, 15:21
Quick Flip , Tazzy-Bear ?

Beware the lower lip .

journeyman racer
10th May 2014, 15:53
I'm hoping Rosberg wins tomorrow. Just so that I know he can counter the Hamilton momentum. Also to keep the Hamilton fans quieter for another race or two. You can feel them licking at their lips from all over the internet!

Tazio
10th May 2014, 16:02
Quick Flip , Tazzy-Bear ?

Beware the lower lip .

He'll probably get Button off the line, Kimi too, maybe even Fred dukie. ;)

Mia 01
10th May 2014, 16:25

I hope he not force Kimi of the track again.
A good quali from Kimi!

Bagwan
10th May 2014, 17:43

Quick Flip'll trip on the lower lip .

BFCCFB -(Brazilian First Corner Carbon Fiber Bomb) .

steveaki13
10th May 2014, 17:45
Interesting Qualifying.

So it seems as though Mercedes have kept themselves clear of any development by anyone. They are still over a second clear. Lewis again nipping ahead of Rosberg. It seems like whoever gets to turn one first should win the race, but you never know. Bahrain should they can fight.

Ricciardo doing a fine job again. That kid can drive.

Bottas in a great 4th. Can he get a podium? Seems like it might need a Red Bull retirement. What a result too for Grosjean. 5th on the grid.

Can he stay there? Seems unlikely but maybe a first point of 2014 for Lotus.

Nice to see Kimi doing better and Ferrari seem again to be slightly off the pace.

Vettel yet more problems and starts in 10th. He can come back through but around here its hard to work your way up the field.

Force India looking surprisingly slow, seems like they haven't made any step on upgrades.

Great lap also from Chilton. Out qualifying Bianchi and co by quite a distance. Seems as though 2014 has been better for Max so far.

And finally Maldonado starting at the back again. What price on a crash by Pastor tomorrow?

truefan72
10th May 2014, 21:02
Interesting Qualifying.

So it seems as though Mercedes have kept themselves clear of any development by anyone. They are still over a second clear. Lewis again nipping ahead of Rosberg. It seems like whoever gets to turn one first should win the race, but you never know. Bahrain should they can fight.

Ricciardo doing a fine job again. That kid can drive.

Bottas in a great 4th. Can he get a podium? Seems like it might need a Red Bull retirement. What a result too for Grosjean. 5th on the grid.

Can he stay there? Seems unlikely but maybe a first point of 2014 for Lotus.

Nice to see Kimi doing better and Ferrari seem again to be slightly off the pace.

Vettel yet more problems and starts in 10th. He can come back through but around here its hard to work your way up the field.

Force India looking surprisingly slow, seems like they haven't made any step on upgrades.

Great lap also from Chilton. Out qualifying Bianchi and co by quite a distance. Seems as though 2014 has been better for Max so far.

And finally Maldonado starting at the back again. What price on a crash by Pastor tomorrow?

excellent analysis
on the maldonado issue, unlike others, I think he is a better driver than we give him credit for. But it is kinda frustrating when we see these mistakes and bonehead moves.
much like his lotus car, if they just get their head on straight, both can be very competitive

Tazio
10th May 2014, 21:29
Quick.

BFCCFB

Abcdgoldfishlmnogoldfishosarcm?

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 00:09
Vettel has a 5 placed grid penalty too. 15th on the grid now.

zako85
11th May 2014, 06:22
With all the hype about teams bringing new updates, the outcome was disappointing with regards to balance of power between the teams. Mercedes in qualifying trim is a second faster than Ricciardo's Red Bull, and Red Bull is a second faster than Ferrari and McLaren. The only hope is that tomorrow Mercedes drivers will show an exciting fight among themselves.

rjbetty
11th May 2014, 06:46
Was it 2003 that we saw an epic Jordan v Minardi fight for quite a few laps?

I have no idea! Sounds like it was maybe 1994 with Martini and Irvine 5th and 6th. :p

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 08:59
I have no idea! Sounds like it was maybe 1994 with Martini and Irvine 5th and 6th. :p

It was 2003 I have put a video of it in the F1 clips thread.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 13:48
Afternoon and Felicitations. :D

How we doing guys? Looking forward to "Barcelona Borefest" or "Catalunya Chaos"?

Now Vettel saying he has problems with his front left. Could be more issues.

Koz
11th May 2014, 13:52
Hello! Hello!

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 13:53
hello Koz

rjbetty
11th May 2014, 13:56
Afternoon and Felicitations. :D

How we doing guys? Looking forward to "Barcelona Borefest" or "Catalunya Chaos"?

Now Vettel saying he has problems with his front left. Could be more issues.

Well I'm supposed t be sleeping seeing I'm working this evening...

I read Vettel was moaning about his brakes.

So which 2 cars do we think are going to be retiring today, as the bottom teams fight to see who comes 15th this race?

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 13:57
Well I'm supposed t be sleeping seeing I'm working this evening...

I read Vettel was moaning about his brakes.

So which 2 cars do we think are going to be retiring today, as the bottom teams fight to see who comes 15th this race?

13 retirements today. ;) You heard it here first.

Koz
11th May 2014, 13:58
Maldonado for one, the other his victim. :p

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 13:58
Maldonado for one, the other his victim.
:p

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:00
Lewis's car getting very hot apparently.

donKey jote
11th May 2014, 14:00
morning gurlz :D

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:02
morning gurlz :D

morning

Tazio
11th May 2014, 14:02
Morning dawgs :)

Koz
11th May 2014, 14:03
Grosjean!!!

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:06
is rain expected? looks quite dark out there

N4D13
11th May 2014, 14:09
Maldonado's party is starting already. Nice way to fight with the backmarkers!

Edit: AFAIK, no rain is expected.

steveaki13
Maldonado smashing the kerb and launch at the Caterham. :rolleyes:

Koz
Yep, forecasts for a little rain for the next 3 hours.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:10
Mercedes just then 1.6 seconds faster per lap then.

pino
11th May 2014, 14:13
Hello everyone !

MrJan
Great stuff from Bottas there to avoid the collision, really good racing from both of them.

steveaki13
Ricciardo is fast becoming a legend. Most drivers would have just dropped back. Dani says nah.... I will go for the pass. Grosjean also in the race for real today. 5th and staying in touch.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:14
Great stuff from Bottas there to avoid the collision, really good racing from both of them.

Yep. Good stuff.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:15
Mercedes 12 seconds clear after 8.5 laps. wow.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:16
Hello everyone !

Hi Pino :wave::wave:

N4D13
11th May 2014, 14:17
First penalty of the day for Maldo! That guy's on fire.

Koz
Maldonado 5 second stop and go.

pino
Mercedes 12 seconds clear after 8.5 laps. wow.

No good for the race zzzzzzzz :(

rjbetty
11th May 2014, 14:18
Looks like Ricciardo is this year's Rosberg, the one who surprises with his form.

Am wondering how much of his beating Seb is down to Dan being awesomesauce, and Seb being merely good without his "driver-aid" EBD.

Interesting to see Dan has been right up there every race, very consistent and racing very well. This is the sign of a driver on superb form, so it's not all just being ahead of Seb by default.

MrJan
Ricciardo is fast becoming a legend. Most drivers would have just dropped back. Dani says nah.... I will go for the pass.

That and the fact that he's making a multi world champion look like a world chumpion.

Koz
Kimi, Alonso is faster than you!

In 2 laps?

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:19
Maldonado 5 second stop and go.

Deserved

No good for the race zzzzzzzz :(

I know. F1 is more one sided than it has been since 2004 in my opinion. Red Bull were neither this much faster. At least we have 2 cars in the front race rather than just a Vettel, but never the less, its poor for F1.

rjbetty
11th May 2014, 14:21
I'm not bored by Mercedes yet but ask me again in 4 years. :p

N4D13
11th May 2014, 14:22
I know. F1 is more one sided than it has been since 2004 in my opinion. Red Bull were neither this much faster. At least we have 2 cars in the front race rather than just a Vettel, but never the less, its poor for F1.
It doesn't look like we will have much of a fight for the win either. Hamilton is pulling away of Rosberg and is almost 3 seconds clear of him, so things aren't looking very rosy for Nico. Unless [lack of] reliability is playing a part in the result, we'll have a different championship leader in a bit over an hour.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:24
Its not as boring because we have two going for it, but if Lewis is too good and wins every race between the two and Nico retires once, then the season could be over.

Anyway its what we got.

Vettel first to pit. 21st behind Chilton.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:25
Feels a bit unfair we are worried already. Lewis hasnt even lead the Championship this season. Lets give him a bit of time to have some fun. :p

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:26
Ricciardo in.

This could be 3rd as Bottas is slower. Just depends on traffic.

Koz
11th May 2014, 14:32
Alonso must be fuming. :D

pino
11th May 2014, 14:32
We need some rain now ;)

veeten
11th May 2014, 14:34
Alonso a bit butthurt with that pit. all that effort and, still, Kimi remains ahead. :p:

steveaki13
Rosberg changing strategy?

Could be interesting for the race. Lewis about to get shafted maybe.

MrJan
This GP sucks. What happened to all the excitement we had in Bahrain?

veeten
11th May 2014, 14:36
We need some rain now ;)
all of this a bit dull for you, is it?...;) :p:

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:36
This GP sucks. What happened to all the excitement we had in Bahrain?

Bahrain is clearly the best F1 circuit ever designed. :p

pino
11th May 2014, 14:40
all of this a bit dull for you, is it?...;) :p:

Nope, just want some excitement, don't you ? ;)

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:41
Grosjean Driver of the Race so far for me. Still 5th in that Lotus

oh now 6th.

pino
11th May 2014, 14:41
Kimi !!! :up:

Koz
11th May 2014, 14:42
Grosjean is a sitting duck. :(

veeten
11th May 2014, 14:43
and now, Romain will be a fly in Alonso's ointment... :p:

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:43
Hope I havent jinxed Grosjean. Falling down the field now.

pino
11th May 2014, 14:45
Steve, no more beers for you :p:

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:48
aww................. :(:p

veeten
11th May 2014, 14:49
but pino, it's what he lives for... ;) :p:

veeten
11th May 2014, 14:54
... as Steve raises his beer aloft, and breaks into a chorus of "... You are my sunshine, my only sunshine... " :p:

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 14:55
Is Rjbetty asleep yet. He has to be at work later on. This race must be doing the job. :p

veeten
11th May 2014, 15:01
Go get 'im, Fillipe!!

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 15:03
Vettel and the Red Bulls now becoming fastest car by a mile. Besides Mercedes.

Koz
11th May 2014, 15:31
Stoopid traffic!

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 15:33
Vettel drive of the day now. Wonderful comeback from Seb.

I think Nico should win this. Dont think Hamilton has enough left. Gonna be close.

Koz
11th May 2014, 15:36
Nico's tyres are done?

N4D13
11th May 2014, 15:40
ALONSO!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I had to say it. :D

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 15:41
Wow. This race is coming alive now. Good stuff.

Lewis under massive pressure.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 15:41
Are they going to catch Kimi?

veeten
11th May 2014, 15:42
Somehow, I get the feeling that Hamilton's team was getting 'marching orders' from the Heads to do everything to keep the two drivers close, so as to make 'things' exciting. After all the driving antics earlier in the season, this is too 'manufactured' to even be considered real.

N4D13
11th May 2014, 15:42
Are they going to catch Kimi?

There's your answer!

donKey jote
11th May 2014, 15:44
well done Merc & Vettel

Alonso saves Ferrari from both being lapped :eek: :crazy:

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 15:45
Wow. Dramatic finish. Well Done Lewis. Good drive, not a great one, but a good one.

tfp
11th May 2014, 15:46
Phew! What a race!!

Tazio
11th May 2014, 15:49
Alonso a bit butthurt with that pit. all that effort and, still, Kimi remains ahead. :p:But Kimi is the one that gets taken like a punk by Fred.......again.

Koz
11th May 2014, 15:49
So awkward yo!

Koz
11th May 2014, 15:56
Who's the old guy in Merc gear with the awesome 'stash they keep showing??

donKey jote
11th May 2014, 15:58
that's big boss Daimler CEO Zetsche :sailor:

Koz
11th May 2014, 16:00
that's big boss Daimler CEO Zetsche :sailor:

No wonder he has an awesome 'stash!!

MrJan
11th May 2014, 16:03
Painful listening to the BBC people trying to pretend that it was an exciting last lap. Nico was well off the rear of Lewis all through the last lap, never even had the sniff of a chance to throw a move up the inside, let alone make a pass.

steveaki13
11th May 2014, 16:08
Painful listening to the BBC people trying to pretend that it was an exciting last lap. Nico was well off the rear of Lewis all through the last lap, never even had the sniff of a chance to throw a move up the inside, let alone make a pass.

Yer with 5 laps to go I thought it was exciting and on, but once he wasn't close enough to have a go into turn 1, then the last lap was safe despite any mistakes

jens
12th May 2014, 00:43
Not much to speak of. Big gaps between different teams. It still amazes me, how reliable all the cars are. Even Red Bull, who had a horrible winter testing session, is now regularly finishing with both cars. Heck, even as recently as in 2010 the cars were more unreliable - that's not long time ago and back then we didn't have huge reg changes!

Shame that Rosberg can't get one up on Hamilton anyhow. The points gap is still close, but he can't keep losing out forever if we want to see a title fight.

Ricciardo confirming he is a very good driver. He has been impressing me this year to no end. Thumbs up to Bottas as well. The younger generation drivers are nicely coming along.

I also like the professional attitude of Grosjean. Despite hard start into the season it looks like he has been driving consistently, delivering well and leaving Maldonado long behind. So points have now finally started to come. But still a long way to go till the results of last year, the string of podiums. Even if RoGro's driving form could be just as good currently!

McLaren is a mystery. Australia was a false dawn. How can't they get points nor outrace teams with inferior engines, I don't really know. Even the half-bankrupt Lotus is showing them up.

For Sauber I think it looks like it could be their worst season ever. Yes, ever! Incredible, isn't it. Sauber has been in the business for over 20 years and from what I remember, they could possibly be one of the most consistent teams of all times! Never really a true frontrunner, not even in the BMW era. But always a team at least capable of getting points and be solidly in midfield. But now they are the last of the "old" teams (yeah, funny the Caterham/Marussia, who started in 2010, are now pretty old too though not that old) and not anywhere near the points in pure performance.

steveaki13
12th May 2014, 10:02
I think the title fight is actually a lot closer than it should be. I mean we are lucky Hamilton retired in Oz, because he was on Pole and probably could have won that race and in that case 5 Hamilton - Rosberg 1-2's could have been the situation and the Championship being

1. Hamilton 125
2. Rosberg 90

which if both cars remain reliable is already a heck of a gap to pull back.

Conversely if Rosberg retires and it evens the situation of 1 retirement each then It would again be way in Hamilton's favour.

Mia 01
12th May 2014, 11:28
Kimi was given some threatment from his team this race. I donīt think he will stand silent this year.

journeyman racer
12th May 2014, 14:38
I enjoyed yesterday's race. More than Bahrain, which was helped along with the release of the safety car. It was cat and mouse between Hamilton/Rosberg the whole way. I'm not a fan of David Croft, but I thought he made a good, accurate observation about it being a "slow burn". I think races that have that effect are much more suited to longer races, like GP. The next step I think to take would be to open up more options for tactics. Not forcing to use multiple compounds, and not forcing them to pit is the next step, imo.

Regarding Rosberg, there's a monkey on his back that's slowly turning into a Gorilla. He needs to put a stop to the position of strength and momentum Hamilton is having. If I was "coaching" him. I'd be pointing out the radio massages from Hamilton that show distress. I'd be pointing out that in Hamilton's career, when things fall apart, it really falls apart. It looks that the worst he can finish in a race is second. If he can work on his weaknesses, relative to Hamilton (qualifying and starting), he could put some pressure back on Hamilton, in the knowledge that he knows that Hamilton really feels it. Now that the title lead has been relinquished, maybe that is what's needed to prompt him into action?

Good to see Raikkonen put in a stronger performance (closer to his ability). OK, he missed out on beating Alonso, but the challenge has come sooner than expected. It's like in a game of any football code. One team puts in a better performance for the majority of the game, but a bad five minutes towards the end, costs them the "win".

steveaki13
12th May 2014, 15:34
I enjoyed yesterday's race. More than Bahrain, which was helped along with the release of the safety car. It was cat and mouse between Hamilton/Rosberg the whole way. I'm not a fan of David Croft, but I thought he made a good, accurate observation about it being a "slow burn". I think races that have that effect are much more suited to longer races, like GP. The next step I think to take would be to open up more options for tactics. Not forcing to use multiple compounds, and not forcing them to pit is the next step, imo.

Regarding Rosberg, there's a monkey on his back that's slowly turning into a Gorilla. He needs to put a stop to the position of strength and momentum Hamilton is having. If I was "coaching" him. I'd be pointing out the radio massages from Hamilton that show distress. I'd be pointing out that in Hamilton's career, when things fall apart, it really falls apart. It looks that the worst he can finish in a race is second. If he can work on his weaknesses, relative to Hamilton (qualifying and starting), he could put some pressure back on Hamilton, in the knowledge that he knows that Hamilton really feels it. Now that the title lead has been relinquished, maybe that is what's needed to prompt him into action?

Good to see Raikkonen put in a stronger performance (closer to his ability). OK, he missed out on beating Alonso, but the challenge has come sooner than expected. It's like in a game of any football code. One team puts in a better performance for the majority of the game, but a bad five minutes towards the end, costs them the "win".

Good thoughts

Tazio
12th May 2014, 16:18
Kimi was given some threatment from his team this race. I donīt think he will stand silent this year.
I understand that Kimi was upset about a pit call, but I'm not sure which one it was. Coming in first after the first stint didn't help Fred. Is Kimi upset that he ran a two stopper and Fred ran a three? If so Kimi needs to get on the same page as Slade, and have more input into his race strategy, and maybe think on his feet a little better, and with more authority. However if someone went over Slade's head than that is something Kimi needs the team to understand is not appropriate, and stand up for himself.

AndyL
12th May 2014, 18:01
I understand that Kimi was upset about a pit call, but I'm not sure which one it was. Coming in first after the first stint didn't help Fred. Is Kimi upset that he ran a two stopper and Fred ran a three?

Kimi's reply about it to the Sky interviewer was less than informative :) Classic Kimi!

The first stop would have allowed Fernando to undercut Kimi if it weren't for some bad traffic. It would only require very slight paranoia for Kimi to see the whole strategy as being aimed at getting the "#1 driver" in front.

donKey jote
12th May 2014, 23:03
Alonso said one of them was meant to (try and) cover Seb with the -on paper not the best- 3 stop strategy, and as he was running second it was his task... Just it turned out in the end to be the better strategy :laugh: :sailor:

donKey jote
12th May 2014, 23:04
:bigcry: :sailor: :kiss: :p

journeyman racer
13th May 2014, 14:14
Good thoughts
Thanks. I try my best.

truefan72
14th May 2014, 20:14

to be honest, it hasn't been a close contest per say.
Clearly the Mercedes is far superior to the other cars so if Hamilton doesn't win, Rosberg will win and vice versa

but in assessing the season so far

Hamilton takes pole in strong manner in Australia, in mixed conditions despite rosberg looking good in Q1 and Q2,
Rosberg finished 3rd behind ricciardo
And if not off the mechanical failure of his car, would have won that race, or at the very least finished second

Malaysia, more inclement weather. Hamilton takes pole, Rosberg 3rd again
Hamilton wins the race by 17 seconds

Bahrain, Rosberg takes pole, Hamilton screws his final lap, but, lets give it to rosberg
in the race, Hamilton takes, the lead and pulls away by a considerable margin, Safety Car comes in and nullifies that advantage
on the slower tires, Hamilton holds off rosberg and wins

China, Hamilton takes pole by over half a seconds to p2, Rosberg finished 4th by over 1.2 seconds down
In the race, Hamilton cruises to victory by 18 seconds over Rosberg

Spain, Hamilton takes pole again. Rosberg takes 2nd ( in his words, I though I did enough to take pole)
In the race, the different strategies closed them in the final laps, but Rosberg was unable to pass Hamilton despite having DRS for several laps.

I think rosberg has been comprehensively beaten fair and square and can only thank the first race DNF for his advantage, up to Spain.
But to hear him talk, it sounds like they are on even footing and just a few things here and there are why he has not won again.
He keeps talking about how he strongly despises coming 2nd to Hamilton, but what has he himself done to change that?

Also as to things falling apart, he had one bad year, although I think that Maldonado punting him in Valencia, Webber in Singapore, Button in Canada, the several Massa incidents, in Korea especially, etc all contributed to that miserable year in 2011. But it was not like he did not win any races, or was uncompetitive. Even in 2009 with a miserable car, he dragged that thing to decent finishes and 2 victories. in 2012, he could have won the WDC, if his team did not let him down. So I would argue that things have never really fell apart for him. As in he lost his mojo, or got flustered.

steveaki13
14th May 2014, 21:19
Have to agree. If not for his retirement I honestly believe he would have won in Australia and it would have been 5 out of 5.

journeyman racer
15th May 2014, 00:52
Down here, before the race had started. There was a feeling that Rosberg was better overall during the weekend, but had an unfortunate qualifying.

Also as to things falling apart, he had one bad year, although I think that Maldonado punting him in Valencia, Webber in Singapore, Button in Canada, the several Massa incidents, in Korea especially, etc all contributed to that miserable year in 2011. But it was not like he did not win any races, or was uncompetitive. Even in 2009 with a miserable car, he dragged that thing to decent finishes and 2 victories. in 2012, he could have won the WDC, if his team did not let him down. So I would argue that things have never really fell apart for him. As in he lost his mojo, or got flustered.

2011? 2009? I'm talking about how he fumbled away the title in 07. Tried his immense best to do so again in 08. Leading the title 3/4 through 10, before he fell apart. Atm, he's clearly got the better of Rosberg regarding outright pace, but he's also more capable of stuffing up.

journeyman racer
15th May 2014, 01:05
Bahrain, Rosberg takes pole, Hamilton screws his final lap, but, lets give it to rosbergThis adds to my point. Hamilton. Screws. His, Final, Lap. Rosberg has been beaten, but he hasn't faltered. Even in the race in Spain. Hamilton was the one who locked up under pressure first (into t10). Rosberg did later on, but it was a hail mary type situation. The psychology is different now.

Niki Lauda won less races, and didn't even score a pole in 84. He also needed a distant Nigel Mansell to break down in the last race to gain the necessary points to win the title. Despite this, no cares about Prost's stats or any claim that he should be champion that year. Including you.

henners88
15th May 2014, 10:11
Spain, Hamilton takes pole again. Rosberg takes 2nd ( in his words, I though I did enough to take pole)
In the race, the different strategies closed them in the final laps, but Rosberg was unable to pass Hamilton despite having DRS for several laps.
Hamilton needs some credit for Spain concerning the pitstops too. He was scheduled to come in for a stop but his tyres were holding up better than Nico's. Lewis decided to stay out one more lap knowing it could increase his gap to his teammate. This meant Nico had to do an extra lap on worn tyres. Its a harsh thing to do to your teammate but the championship is up for grabs and Nico is his biggest threat. Lewis thought quickly on his feet there and deserves credit I think :)

MacFeegle
15th May 2014, 10:12
This adds to my point. Hamilton. Screws. His, Final, Lap. Rosberg has been beaten, but he hasn't faltered. Even in the race in Spain. Hamilton was the one who locked up under pressure first (into t10). Rosberg did later on, but it was a hail mary type situation. The psychology is different now.

Niki Lauda won less races, and didn't even score a pole in 84. He also needed a distant Nigel Mansell to break down in the last race to gain the necessary points to win the title. Despite this, no cares about Prost's stats or any claim that he should be champion that year. Including you.

Mr Journeyman.

What you say is that Hamilton make one small mistake this year. If no, he would have taken all pole yes? Also, if Mercedes not break in Australia, he would have taken all wins?

That pretty impressive. Yes? Almost total dominating of team mate if not for 1 small mistake.

andyone
15th May 2014, 10:15
to be honest, it hasn't been a close contest per say.
Clearly the Mercedes is far superior to the other cars so if Hamilton doesn't win, Rosberg will win and vice versa

but in assessing the season so far

Hamilton takes pole in strong manner in Australia, in mixed conditions despite rosberg looking good in Q1 and Q2,
Rosberg finished 3rd behind ricciardo
And if not off the mechanical failure of his car, would have won that race, or at the very least finished second

Malaysia, more inclement weather. Hamilton takes pole, Rosberg 3rd again
Hamilton wins the race by 17 seconds

Bahrain, Rosberg takes pole, Hamilton screws his final lap, but, lets give it to rosberg
in the race, Hamilton takes, the lead and pulls away by a considerable margin, Safety Car comes in and nullifies that advantage
on the slower tires, Hamilton holds off rosberg and wins

China, Hamilton takes pole by over half a seconds to p2, Rosberg finished 4th by over 1.2 seconds down
In the race, Hamilton cruises to victory by 18 seconds over Rosberg

I think rosberg has been comprehensively beaten fair and square and can only thank the first race DNF for his advantage, up to Spain.
But to hear him talk, it sounds like they are on even footing and just a few things here and there are why he has not won again.
He keeps talking about how he strongly despises coming 2nd to Hamilton, but what has he himself done to change that?

i must Say Well illustrated there. in my opinion. Rosberg is just no match to hamilton. and i dont know what driver would have beaten hamilton. in the same car. i would have said Alonso but we already had that answer. this is the time for Hamilton to win.. and i did think of this if Hamilton ever got a good car like what Vettel had. he could win 80 % or if not 100% of the races this year. who can stop him. if Rosberg has shown that he cannot. if he doesnt get a machenical failure or a missfortune of some sort. we are up for some Record breaking Victories. and new History to be Written.

MacFeegle
15th May 2014, 10:22
^^^ what he say ^^^

henners88
15th May 2014, 10:42
Every championship is different and each year a driver approaches it in a different way. Lewis has made many mistakes in his career and has had his fair share of good and bad luck. A driver is also a very different driver than he was in his rookie season and I doubt Nico would sling his car into walls as much as he used to do because he has experience, however this will be the first season where he has had to fight for a title so this is new pressure. Lewis has the upper hand here and had it not been for him slightly losing it under pressure, and then having a brief mechanical failure at the last round of Brazil 2007, he would be a double WDC already by now. That is irrelevant though as he's evolved into a much better driver in 2014, what driver hasn't? He is already a WDC and knows what it takes to achieve the ultimate prize and this will help a little I think. Each season brings different variables and scenarios and we really can't look back at distant history to determine how either driver will cope with the pressure of fighting for the championship. Its unfair really.

Lewis has had up until now the best run of form out of the two in 2014, but we can't assume Nico will not win a race here and there and bring the title fight to his door. I would urge fellow Hamilton fans not to write Nico off as I think that is jumping the gun in the extreme. Lewis could encounter reliability issues, or upgrades could not suit him later in the season. There is still a long way to go and we are not even at the half way point yet. A lot can happen and usually does! I hope we have a showdown between these guys and Mercedes let them fight it out until the very end but lets not start celebrating just yet. :)

AndyL
15th May 2014, 11:17
It looks to me like Lewis and Nico are very closely matched. When you look at how close together they've finished in recent races, it's clear that Nico is generally as fast as Lewis in the race. The pattern has been that the guy who gets to the first corner first - and therefore has clear air, can choose their own pace etc. - wins the race. The essential difference between them is Lewis's ability to pull something special out of the bag in that final lap of Q3, which then gives him the advantage in the race to the first corner.

henners88
15th May 2014, 11:30
Lewis is also very good at defending his line and keeping enough KERS for the DRS zones, especially present in Bahrain and Spain. They are closely matched in terms of race pace, but Lewis has always been a good qualifier and this is something Nico needs to work on IMO. That clean start and a track of clear air makes all the difference and we've seen this demonstrated with Button 09, Vettel, and now Hamilton to show some recent examples.