PDA

View Full Version : With Ayrton in mind - the F1® paddock on Senna - updated

News
1st May 2014, 12:00
In the run-up to the 20th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's passing, we asked those in the current Formula One paddock for their thoughts on the legendary Brazilian driver - some knew him, some worked with him, some even raced against him, while some were barely schoolboys when he died. Here's what they had to say (more quotes will be added throughout the week)...
Stefano Domenicali, former Ferrari team principal
"I was born in Imola and was there in 1994, already working for Ferrari. I remember the silence of that tragic moment that was all around the city. It was unbelievable. At a venue with over 100,000 people watching there was just the noise of the helicopter. I remember it as if it were yesterday. Ayrton Senna was an icon of Formula One and it seems like all this happened yesterday and not 20 years ago. After his accident the Formula One world took on another approach to safety. Ayrton had an incredible personality, and of course he was very fast, but to compare him with drivers today - or drivers from other different ages - is difficult as you would have to take the car, the situation and a lot of other aspects into account. The more you go back in racing history - let's say 40 or 50 years - the more it might appear that those guys where geniuses - or crazy - for driving in those conditions. So hats off to them. And Ayrton will always be part of that fantastic heritage that Formula One has."
Niki Lauda, Mercedes team non-executive chairman
"He was the best and most charismatic race driver F1 has ever had. An unbelievable character. He had personality, he was fast and he had charisma - no wonder that he won everything."
Romain Grosjean, Lotus
"Thinking of Ayrton, it brings back the first few races I watched in Formula One in 1993 and 1994: the battle with Alain Prost in 1993 and then, of course, that 1st of May in 1994. I was watching the race on TV and at eight years old I didn't really quite understand what was going on - that one of my idols would never race again. When I close my eyes I still see unbelievable images of the onboard camera from his crazy qualifying laps."
Ron Dennis, McLaren group CEO
"On the racetrack, Ayrton was passionate about motor racing - and it was his life to the exclusion of many, many things that other people enjoy on a regular basis. He was completely dedicated and completely focused. He derived tremendous satisfaction and gained uplifting emotional experiences from racing and winning. He was completely unique in the sense of how much of an adrenaline rush he used to get. Ayrton did not really have a bad side; he was a caring guy, he was a team player, and he was prepared to admit he was wrong when he was wrong - and those are unusual qualities for a Grand Prix driver."

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari

More... (http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/5/15772.html)