PDA

View Full Version : WTCC 2014 - Round 1 Morocco

Zeakiwi
11th April 2014, 23:29
Loeb to line up on the grid for the WTCC this weekend.
http://www.fiawtcc.com/events

KKS
12th April 2014, 16:32
what a strange rules now in WTCC

it's better to be 5th at Q2. You get better starting position for 2nd race and get ticket to Q3.

Tom206wrc
12th April 2014, 20:16
Congratulations to "Pechito" for his pole-position ;)

BDunnell
13th April 2014, 01:29
On current form, Citroen look set to dominate the WTCC in a way that will render the championship as dull as they, and now VW, have rendered the WRC. It's not their fault; rather, blame their rivals. The gap between Citroen and the rest in qualifying was embarrassing.

MrJan
13th April 2014, 16:55
Yawn. Boring!!!

Amazing dominance by Citroen in race 1 but such a shame that, even at this stage, it seems the team dictated the finishing places. Not too surprising that they're at the top, they seem to put so much effort into preparing for a series that they make sure the car is fully developed when it hits competition. I mentioned this to my Dad when we were watching the rallying the other day, the way that Hyundai are suffering from lots of mechanical issues whereas VW have a car that was hot out of the box. Of course the difference (other than budget) is that VW took their time, whereas Hyundai got the car on the stages as soon as they could.

Astonishing to hear that the WTCC Citroen team even got to the point where they were testing crashing into each other to see what parts were weak!!

Daniel
13th April 2014, 18:19
2nd race was ruined by Bennani, made even worse by having to listen Matt Neal being a complete twunt and thinking that Bennani had no fault in the accident at the start. The commentary was truly crap, tell Matt to piss off and bring back John Cleland please.....

Zeakiwi
13th April 2014, 18:24
Loeb wins race 2

MJW
13th April 2014, 20:28
Matt Neal and the other commentator were not too keen on Citroen, they seemed to dwell on the 'they are from rallying' this is racing theme. Perhaps Matt Neal remembers that Colin McRae was a Citroen driver in 2003, and he still hasn't forgiven Colin for Knockhill in the early 1990's when they raced, and collided. Colin in the Prodrive BMW.

AndyRAC
13th April 2014, 20:43
No offence, but the WTCC is a poor series - with 1 proper Factory entry. And it seems as if Citroen aren't keen on them racing each other.

Personally, I'm not sure we really need a WTCC; There's far too many interpretations of a 'Touring car' - WTCC, BTCC, STCC, DTM, TC2000, V8 Supercar....et al

Daniel
13th April 2014, 23:08
Matt Neal and the other commentator were not too keen on Citroen, they seemed to dwell on the 'they are from rallying' this is racing theme. Perhaps Matt Neal remembers that Colin McRae was a Citroen driver in 2003, and he still hasn't forgiven Colin for Knockhill in the early 1990's when they raced, and collided. Colin in the Prodrive BMW.

Yeah, for some reason Martin Haven chose to be one eyed about it also.

Andy, I agree somewhat, but the WTCC is in a rebuilding phase, the cars are looking better and hopefully it'll be more spectacular from now on. Whatever the reason there was no excuse for the pisspoor commentary that was given. What manufacturer in their right mind would have their cars fighting each other in the first round when they were both out in front as in the 2nd race, or 1,2,3 in the first.

The only people who seem to feel that Bennani was without fault were Neal, Haven and Tarquini who happily did the same thing to Priaulx a few years ago. Personally I think the FIA is too lenient on these sort of drivers. You've got idiots like Maldonado and Bennani who make really stupid mistakes and then don't realise they're at fault, these are the sorts of people who are going to end up killing another driver on a bad day...... Coronel was the one who initiated the contact it must be said, but then Bennani kept on pushing and instead of moving away from Tom and letting Tom regain control, he pushes across him which was always going to cause that accident. Tarquini did the same to Priaulx a few years in Monza I think..... didn't even get a penalty.

MrJan
15th April 2014, 12:16
Matt Neal and the other commentator were not too keen on Citroen, they seemed to dwell on the 'they are from rallying' this is racing theme.

I don't think that's the issue, I think it's that they've come in and can happily put in laps in the middle of the race that are 3 seconds off the pace that they can actually run! Plus they clearly had team orders in place from the first corner on the first race of the season. Touring cars is supposed to be exciting yet it's been brutally shown up by F1, a series in which most teams seem to have let their drivers at least have a go at each other. It's one thing to tell your drivers not to crash, it's another completely to not let them even have a go.

FIA may be too lenient on Bennani but think Daniel's being too harsh, Coronel jammed across in front of him and you can expect someone just to get off the power in that situation. If Bennani had chucked a move up the inside then it would have been a different matter.

lewalcindor
15th April 2014, 16:14
I don't think that's the issue, I think it's that they've come in and can happily put in laps in the middle of the race that are 3 seconds off the pace that they can actually run! Plus they clearly had team orders in place from the first corner on the first race of the season. Touring cars is supposed to be exciting yet it's been brutally shown up by F1, a series in which most teams seem to have let their drivers at least have a go at each other. It's one thing to tell your drivers not to crash, it's another completely to not let them even have a go.

Is "holding position" only something that Citroen is doing, or is something that other WTCC teams would do as well if their cars were all in podium position?

MrJan
15th April 2014, 18:46
Is "holding position" only something that Citroen is doing, or is something that other WTCC teams would do as well if their cars were all in podium position?

Can't speak for WTCC as haven't watched it much in the past...but BTCC and even F1 currently have less in the way of team orders. If the Marrakech race is anything to go by then WTCC will be in bad shape by the end of the season, a team that walks all over the competition and flies in formation for 18 laps from lights to flag really doesn't boost viewing figures.

I don't blame Citroen for wanting to get all 3 cars to the finish, but it doesn't really make me want to watch again.

DazzlaF1
15th April 2014, 19:02
Yawn. Boring!!!

Amazing dominance by Citroen in race 1 but such a shame that, even at this stage, it seems the team dictated the finishing places. Not too surprising that they're at the top, they seem to put so much effort into preparing for a series that they make sure the car is fully developed when it hits competition. I mentioned this to my Dad when we were watching the rallying the other day, the way that Hyundai are suffering from lots of mechanical issues whereas VW have a car that was hot out of the box. Of course the difference (other than budget) is that VW took their time, whereas Hyundai got the car on the stages as soon as they could.

Astonishing to hear that the WTCC Citroen team even got to the point where they were testing crashing into each other to see what parts were weak!!

The advantage those Citroen's have over the rest of the field is an absolute joke, but hey, its what happens when you spend an entire year testing, have an 8 figure budget and have 2 of the very best Touring Car drivers in the world amongst your three (and a multiple rally champion in the other)

The straight line speed advantage was actually frightening to watch

MrJan
15th April 2014, 19:13
The advantage those Citroen's have over the rest of the field is an absolute joke, but hey, its what happens when you spend an entire year testing, have an 8 figure budget and have 2 of the very best Touring Car drivers in the world amongst your three (and a multiple rally champion in the other)

The straight line speed advantage was actually frightening to watch

Yep, they certainly know how to deliver a decent car! I remember when they came into rallying it was the same, they spent years and years testing a developing and then entered the championship for their first full year with 2 of the most successful drivers of all time and some hot prospect from France. Team won the championship and the hot prospect finished 2nd in the driver's champ. Following that he won the next 9 championships! Say what you want about them but Citroen know how to deliver success.