PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Epic Race - Bahrain

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 18:43
Wow. Plenty of drivers done well today.

dj_bytedisaster
6th April 2014, 18:47
no driver for me.

It would have been Lewis for holding off Rosberg on the slower tyre, but some of his moves were just too foul. He shoved Rosberg over the white line at least 3 times and blatantly chopped his front tyre once. Senna, Schumacher, Alonso and Vettel got a lot of shit for such agression. Same standard apllies to Lewis.

For me "driver" of the day is Merc for sacking Brawn and letting their drivers race till the very end instead.

N4D13
6th April 2014, 18:47
I think we need to single out Hamilton. Even though I think that his defending was a bit too aggressive for my liking, he did everything just fine. He was challenged for 1st place several times and he always kept himself in front - what else do you need?

AndyL
6th April 2014, 18:48
Wow. Plenty of drivers done well today.

Even the drivers who got beaten by their team-mates mostly looked like they did a good job.

Robinho
6th April 2014, 18:49
Lewis, nico, checo, ricciardo

dj_bytedisaster
6th April 2014, 18:54
I think we need to single out Hamilton. Even though I think that his defending was a bit too aggressive for my liking, he did everything just fine. He was challenged for 1st place several times and he always kept himself in front - what else do you need?

Well that statement doesn't compute ;) You say his defending was too aggressive but he did everything just fine <- only one of those can apply.

Tazio
6th April 2014, 19:00
The Boss!
Let's not forget what he did before the safety car! Great job by Checo, and DR. I'm not sure about Nico, but what the heck I'll put him in there! :)

longisland
+1

truefan72
ricciardo
hamilton
perez
Hulkenberg

in that order

dj_bytedisaster
6th April 2014, 19:04
The Boss!
Let's not forget what he did before the safety car! Great job by Checo, and DR. I'm not sure about Nico, but what the heck I'll put him in there! :)

What he did before the safety car was gaining four seconds on Rosberg over a whole stin while being on the faster tyre after being given a massive 6 sec undercut on the first pitstop. His defending after the SC was impressive - his performance before it was not. And it was quite a bit of foul defending defending, too.

N4D13
6th April 2014, 19:15
Well that statement doesn't compute ;) You say his defending was too aggressive but he did everything just fine <- only one of those can apply.
Let me rephrase: it was too aggressive for my liking but he did what he had to did, which was getting in front of Rosberg and not letting him back into first place. :P

longisland
6th April 2014, 19:18
Maldonado. The whole race came alive after he ploughs into Gutierrez.

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 19:23
For me it's Daniel for soundly beating his teammate, the 4 time World Champ! :)

Tazio
6th April 2014, 19:59

For sure, and Seb drove pretty well. It is a welcome relief to see him struggle a little. :smokin:

dj_bytedisaster
6th April 2014, 20:13

beating a team mate, who has no DRS until the first pitstop and later power loss on the engine should not be counting as an achievement. Danny drove excellently (he certainly makes his predecessor look like Slowpoke Rodriguez), but things should stay in context. Hulk finishing 2 places behind Perez despite an 8-place grid difference, that's a wee bit more impressive.

dj_bytedisaster
6th April 2014, 20:13
For sure, and Seb drove pretty well. It is a welcome relief to see him struggle a little. :smokin:

What's the fascination in seeing people struggle?? Schadenfreude much?

The Black Knight
6th April 2014, 20:24
What he did before the safety car was gaining four seconds on Rosberg over a whole stin while being on the faster tyre after being given a massive 6 sec undercut on the first pitstop. His defending after the SC was impressive - his performance before it was not. And it was quite a bit of foul defending defending, too.

There was nothing wrong with the defending that Lewis did today. It was all completely 100% harsh but fair. I guess it was inevitable that there would be at least one person complaining about it though.

To me, the drivers of the day were Riccardo, Hamilton and Rosberg.

Riccardo once again showed that he's top class and I think that people are now beginning to see that a lot of Vettel's WDC's were very much down to the car. This was something I said on this forum I felt we would see this year when the cars became more about the driver than the equipment and it is coming to fruition so far. The spin Vettel had in FP3 yesterday was just embarrassing. In all honesty, over the three races, Riccardo has been vastly the superior and more consistent RBR driver IMO.

Hamilton drove a stellar race. The way he defended in throughout the whole race, especially the last ten laps, is why he is a WDC. He may not have been quicker today but he still won. That's the mark of a champion.

Rosberg drove an amazing race. A little quicker than Lewis on race day and since FP3 yesterday but wasn't able to capitalize. I think neither Mercedes driver could complain about how they drove against each other today. It was great to see this kind of racing between two of the best drivers in the world. I can't remember the last time we've had such great racing at the front of a GP. I like this new era of F1 so far overall.

Tazio
6th April 2014, 20:49
What's the fascination in seeing people struggle?? Schadenfreude much?

Right, let me call a spade a spade. I don't like Red Bull, the drink or the team. I admire Seb, and I as I stated the guy drove well today IMO.
I'm relieved that it is not yet another year of total domination by that team, and it appears that he has a team mate that can hang with him. You will not ever read anything by me that is pulling hard for a RB pilot, ever!.
I'm prejudice :dozey:

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 21:17
Right, let me call a spade a spade. I don't like Red Bull, the drink or the team. I admire Seb, and I as I stated the guy drove well today IMO.
I'm relieved that it is not yet another year of total domination by that team, and it appears that he has a team mate that can hang with him. You will not ever read anything by me that is pulling hard for a RB pilot, ever!.
I'm prejudice :dozey:

Good answer :p;)

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 21:18
Better give Seb or Hulk Driver of the Day otherwise some will just accuse me of being biased and a hater. ;)

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 21:34
Anyway.

My Driver of the Day is Daniel Ricciardo

It was once more close between him and others but I feel that 13th to 4th was a great drive regardless of the issues Seb had. If that had been by a Mercedes it would not be as impressive, but considering how strong the Mercedes engine was I thought against the odds and early struggles he done a great job.

It was so close though, I thought a lot of drivers did a great job today.

Other Mentions: in no particular order

Lewis Hamilton - Brilliant job defending from Rosberg ALL day. I disagree with those who say his defending was too hard. I have always been a supporter of strong defensive driving. I remember being one of the few supporting Schumacher in Monza in his Mercedes in 2011 or 2012. Which ever year it was that he was nearly on the podium.

Nico Rosberg - I actually thought Nico did a great job today too, before the SC he raced well on a different tyres and passed Hamilton 3 or 4 times and didn't even look like losing his head wheel to wheel. Could easily have won the race.

Sergio Perez - A really composed drive. He started 4th and at times got shuffled down to 6th and 7th, but stayed on it and past Hulkenberg late on. A fine Podium.

Nico Hulkenberg - Another great drive in a day of great drives. 11th to 5th is another good effort in a midfield that is always competitive.

Sebastian Vettel - Seb was another one who drove well. He was fighting several problems and overcame then to go from 10th to 6th.

Max Chilton - He is doing a decent job this year for Marussia. He has finished all 3 races, which for the team is important. He hasn't gotten into incidents like Bianchi who tangled with Maldonado in Malaysia and Sutil today and he has two 13th places and a 15th. Decent effort. Also 22 out of 22 finishes.

driveace
7th April 2014, 00:35
Great to see the battle of the last 11 laps between the two Mercedes drivers.Lewis did the better job at the start,and did a brilliant job of holding onto the place throughout the race.Nico had the faster car and in the last stint the better tyres,and the racing between them was fair and hard.Just a pity that today they had to show the opposition just how fast the Merc is .And glad with Jean Todd,s reaction to RB and Ferrari about letting them change the fuel regulator,as he said "I never heard Nico complain this year,and cannot remember Seb complain for the last 4 years,it's only when these teams are not dominant that they complain about the rules" Me Horner is just not as smug as he has been these last 4 years now !

dj_bytedisaster
7th April 2014, 01:56
There was nothing wrong with the defending that Lewis did today. It was all completely 100% harsh but fair. I guess it was inevitable that there would be at least one person complaining about it though.

Sorry, but weren't drivers supposed to leave enough space? We had people raising holy hell about Vettel pushing Alonso off at Monza, forcing him with 2 wheels off the track - lewis did that 3 times today. One time (1st lap) he squeezed so far out, Rosberg had to leave the track with all four wheel to prevent a collision. How does that work out?

The Black Knight
7th April 2014, 02:02
Sorry, but weren't drivers supposed to leave enough space? We had people raising holy hell about Vettel pushing Alonso off at Monza, forcing him with 2 wheels off the track - lewis did that 3 times today. One time (1st lap) he squeezed so far out, Rosberg had to leave the track with all four wheel to prevent a collision. How does that work out?

Doesn't bother me honestly. I had no issue with what Vettel did at Monza either. In fact, it's one of the few times I have defended Vettel. If the boys can't take a bit of hard racing then they should go home and cry under their bed - F1 world is too much for them.

dj_bytedisaster
7th April 2014, 03:01
Doesn't bother me honestly. I had no issue with what Vettel did at Monza either. In fact, it's one of the few times I have defended Vettel. If the boys can't take a bit of hard racing then they should go home and cry under their bed - F1 world is too much for them.

Problem is inconsistecy though. Vettel got punished. A year before - alonso did not get punished for the same offense. Schuimacher was let go. This year HAM did also not get punished. Rosberg did not get punished in China 2012, Maldonado did get punsihed last year at Spa (although- seriously- that guy can't be punished enough). Either all or nobody: FIA must decide what's what.

Whyzars
7th April 2014, 04:14
Driver of the day was Rosilton.

The Mercedes finished 24 seconds in front of the next team in the 16 lap sprint race even though the drivers were focused on scaring the pants off each other and having the time of their lives.

Reminded me of a couple of mates hooning around in Go Karts which I guess they are when it gets down to it. They actually had time to go into the pits, put their Dad's in the drivers seats and let them mess around for a couple of laps. Amazing.

Mercedes have done the hard yards. All class.

Ferrari might as well not bother with the rest of the season. The shots in their garage was not a happy one - probably thinking "We are Ferrari, why do we interest ourselves in saving fuel?".

At 2 seconds a lap. its only a matter of time before Mercedes's start lapping Ferrari's and that will be painful to watch. Interesting times.

Mia 01
7th April 2014, 06:43
Sergio Perez drove a good race.

Storm
7th April 2014, 06:55
Rosberg for me...even Hamilton was very good.
Ricciardo definitely needs to be mentioned, as does Perez.

aryan
7th April 2014, 08:20
DotR for me was Ricciardo. The boy finally got some reward for the awesome work he's been doing. Seriously it was overdue for his turn of fortune. Brilliant drive, and that pass on Seb was pure class.

Very honourable mention to Hamilton, I couldn't believe he held Nico off. That was a very entertaining battle, a classic indeed.

Good job also by Perez, who beat a well-regarded Hulk when it mattered and then held off Ricciardo. Well earned return to podium.

henners88
7th April 2014, 08:54
I couldn't give Hamilton the driver of the race in Malaysia because it looked far too easy, but yesterday I think he worked hard for it. Rosberg drove superbly too and if the other teams are no match for Mercedes its nice to see both drivers are allowed to race to the bitter end. It was nice to see both drivers attack aggressively but know where to draw the line and it must have given the pit wall a few heart in mouth moments. Great stuff!

There was some great racing up and down the field too and I think Ricciardo deserves a mention for making up so much ground. Perez showed McLaren why they were too quick to get rid of him. A thoroughly enjoyable race and dare I say the best race for a couple of years IMHO. :)

steveaki13
7th April 2014, 10:09
Problem is inconsistecy though. Vettel got punished. A year before - alonso did not get punished for the same offense. Schuimacher was let go. This year HAM did also not get punished. Rosberg did not get punished in China 2012, Maldonado did get punsihed last year at Spa (although- seriously- that guy can't be punished enough). Either all or nobody: FIA must decide what's what.

Its more fun to pick on certain drivers though. ;)

steveaki13
7th April 2014, 10:14
I couldn't give Hamilton the driver of the race in Malaysia because it looked far too easy, but yesterday I think he worked hard for it. Rosberg drove superbly too and if the other teams are no match for Mercedes its nice to see both drivers are allowed to race to the bitter end. It was nice to see both drivers attack aggressively but know where to draw the line and it must have given the pit wall a few heart in mouth moments. Great stuff!

There was some great racing up and down the field too and I think Ricciardo deserves a mention for making up so much ground. Perez showed McLaren why they were too quick to get rid of him. A thoroughly enjoyable race and dare I say the best race for a couple of years IMHO. :)

I agree Henners. It was probably the best race I have watched since Canada 2011 when all was chaos and JB won from 21st at one point.

henners88
7th April 2014, 10:31
I agree there are inconsistencies, but I think it was the physical dangers that have been analysed rather than the black and white rule of pushing someone off the track. Whether or not that is right or wrong is down to the observer. At Monza in both years Alonso and Vettel pushed each other off the track onto grass and gravel at speeds of 190mph which could have resulted in a very nasty accident. In Bahrain we saw drivers pushing rivals onto smooth tarmac where speeds were not affected and the danger was slightly less IMO. With the newer tracks the run off area's are more forgiving and drivers tend to use this to their advantage.

I think it would have left a very sour taste if Lewis had been punished yesterday after such a thrilling race. Nobody wants to see another Spa 2008.

henners88
7th April 2014, 10:45
I agree Henners. It was probably the best race I have watched since Canada 2011 when all was chaos and JB won from 21st at one point.
Yeah it feels like its been far too long. I think China will be epic with both drivers being previous winners and its a track they are both comfortable with. I think we are in for a treat :)

steveaki13
7th April 2014, 11:04
Yes Nico goes well there and was adamant he was winning in China and Lewis doesn't like coming second either. It could be a great race. Roll on China.

The Black Knight
7th April 2014, 12:53

Well if there's inconsistency in the rules that's an issue for the FIA to sort out. Blame them, don't complain about the drivers that take advantage of the inconsistencies.

henners88
7th April 2014, 13:59
Vettel performed the exact same line through that corner on his team mate yet its Hamilton getting the heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTmoMyx-iM

How many of these guys do we need to punish?

dj_bytedisaster
7th April 2014, 14:14
Vettel performed the exact same line through that corner on his team mate yet its Hamilton getting the heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTmoMyx-iM

How many of these guys do we need to punish?

Erm. Unless you missed it - Danny almost dipped his frontwheel off track on approach to the corner already. He was never going to make that corner any other way anyway. That's not the same as shoving someone outside.

Warriwa
7th April 2014, 14:18
I am surprised a lot of people are mentioning Nico as Driver of the race. Regardless of the entertaining show, he couldn't get past Lewis using the faster tires, even with the advantage of the safety car. Very disappointing.

henners88
7th April 2014, 14:19
The goal posts move depending on who it is. I've watched it multiple times now and it's exactly the same as anything Rosberg and Hamilton did. Daniel putting a wheel off the track on entry has no effect on him being on the outside at the exit of the corner so let's look at these instances with equal criticism. I don't have a problem with either but we need perspective here and not a different set of specs for a different set of drivers.

N. Jones
7th April 2014, 14:58
no driver for me.

It would have been Lewis for holding off Rosberg on the slower tyre, but some of his moves were just too foul. He shoved Rosberg over the white line at least 3 times and blatantly chopped his front tyre once. Senna, Schumacher, Alonso and Vettel got a lot of shit for such agression. Same standard apllies to Lewis.

For me "driver" of the day is Merc for sacking Brawn and letting their drivers race till the very end instead.

Uh, Hammy wasn't the only one pushing people off track at this GP.

For me I have to give it to Perez. I hope his stint with FI gets him a top drive again.

ShiftingGears
7th April 2014, 15:00
I thought Hamilton's win was a real victory in the psychological battle between the Mercedes drivers. That was Rosberg's race to win. Ricciardo drove brilliantly as well.

easy rider
8th April 2014, 02:02
Lewis without question the driver of the day, and to date IMO one of his best performances. Hamilton defended aggressively but fairly, and attacked forcibly to regain his position in the fight for the win yesterday at Bahrain.

Doc Austin
8th April 2014, 02:16
I think Checo probably got the most out of what he had. I felt like he got a bad deal getting pushed out of McLaren because he didn't do a bad job with what he had there either, so it good to see him get a little validation. Checo looked good against Button, and now he looks pretty decent against the Hulk.

I'm relieved that it is not yet another year of total domination by that team, and it appears that he has a team mate that can hang with him. You will not ever read anything by me that is pulling hard for a RB pilot, ever!

I'm happy to see Vettel struggle, but only because I like him. He's gotten next to no credit for his four championships, simply because so many people think he's been in an unbeatable car. Now it's different and he finally has a chance to prove what he is made of. Now he has a chance to claw his way back into the fight against someone else's unbeatable car.

I like Vettel because he drives fair and he wins clean, and he seems very down to earth with a genuine appreciation for the sport and it's history. In the times where he has absolutely had to perform, he's delivered, from his first championship when he rallied from way behind to steal it in the last seconds, to getting the points in Brazil he needed with a damaged car. I think the times he has made it look too easy makes people forget about the times he had to fight like hell to get it done.

Right now Ricciardo seems to have the better of him, but then again Vettel's car never seems to have been right and Ricciardo has enjoyed far better reliability (bad pit stops and wings and faulty meters aside). Once Red Bull gets the reliability going on both cars, I think Vettel will outpace him, though probably not as badly as he did with Webber.

Either way, like Vettel or not, I think now is going to be when we see what he really has. I am predicting we will see the best Vettel ever. It is good to finally see him challenged, and it will be fascinating to see him respond.