PDA

View Full Version : How to stop Telemarketting pests

Valve Bounce
30th March 2014, 03:26
These pests deliberately call at the most inopportune times, like when you are preparing dinner, or just about to have dinner. Well, I have formulated a procedure to foil them. When they ring, I tell them NOT to hang up. Then I activate my Candy Crush program, press "PLAY" and make sure the sound is switched on and put it on speaker phone. If they call you on land line, just put the mobile next to your land line and tell him NOT to hang up. Just give them back their own medicine. After you do that a couple of times, they won't call back.

This also works for those scammers purporting to be calling from Microsoft. Just tell them to hold on while you switch your imaginary computer on, then let them listen to Candy Crush music. :rotflmao:

BleAivano
30th March 2014, 09:06
I don't have a fixed line phone but only a mobile phone and I use TrueCaller to block unwanted calls.

Mark
30th March 2014, 09:24
All discussion of junk calls seems to involve this sort of 'trick'. It might make you feel better but it doesn't stop them calling. Only proper legislation and enforcement can do that.

As it is I never answer the house phone as it's marketing messages 100% of the time. Although it's rather annoying that criminals have made a useful technology useless. And as I do mean criminals.

My Mum does use her land line and is constantly plagued by them. Much of it is automated messages.

janneppi
30th March 2014, 13:10
I applied a block to my personal register that denies the information from telemarketing companies, fortunately it works pretty well in Finland. I mostly get marketing calls from service I already use. Some calls do come from dodgy companies, but the two no's and hangup-method works for them.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 13:53
Don't answer the phone :p

Seriously though I hate them. I always wonder why they have the right to ring your house.

Seems like its something that should be illegal. I just don't answer it if I don't know the number. Then ring dial back or listen to my messages to see if its someone I want to talk too.

Mark
30th March 2014, 14:33
Myself and my Mum are on the a Telephone Preference Register so it is illegal to call. But they do it anyway.

Rollo
30th March 2014, 22:45
At home I pick up the phone and deliberately say nothing until the person at the other end speaks. If it is a telemarketer, they'll give themselves away.
However at work, I can't do that. One thing I like to do (which my boss started doing) is to tell the telemarketer either that you will lie to them, or that you don't work there and are just robbing the place.

"I am a robber; a thief".

Telemarketers really don't know what to do if they think that they're speaking to thieves.

J4MIE
30th March 2014, 23:21
If I didn't need it for broadband, I wouldn't have a land line :\ Get extremely few spam calls on my mobile so don't worry about it at all, really.

Valve Bounce
31st March 2014, 03:38
Well, I am alone at home, except with my Benny (long haired Chihuahua), and I don't get much callers from relatives or friends nowadays. So if I can have a bit of fun with these irritants, including those who pretend to be from Microsoft, then why not.

Storm
31st March 2014, 06:05
Myself and my Mum are on the a Telephone Preference Register so it is illegal to call. But they do it anyway.

This sounds like the Do Not Call/Disturb Register we have here. Both my landline and mobile are on it nd it seems to work well enough with almost no calls coming in to the LL and no SMS to the cellphone. Only a few nasty ones still seem to call on my cell - mainly insurance fraudsters

gadjo_dilo
31st March 2014, 07:45
In my country there's no such thing. Probably because we have the juiciest swearings in the world.....:confused:

Starter
31st March 2014, 13:45
I have two different strategies. If I have time, and I usually can make some, I answer as though I was really interested in whatever they are selling. I find all kinds of plausible stories to tell that make me seem like a patsy for them (false info of course) and keep them on the phone as long as possible. That's death to those folks who are graded on how many calls and sales they make. Brings the average way down.

If I don't have time, I just answer with the most graphic sexual response that comes to mind. I don't mind that it offends the caller - they know exactly what they are doing and that it's illegal. Not illegal for me to do that since they called me and not the other way round and, even if it was illegal, they'd never report it since what they do is also illegal.

Spafranco
31st March 2014, 15:41
It is amazing that these automated calls keep coming in even when they are supposed to be blocked. It's not as bad as a few years ago. Then we had calls every few minutes. Now caller ID shows up on my TV since I have AT&T and shows the call. Sheesh! They start at 8AM on the dot and end at 9PM. The law.

schmenke
31st March 2014, 17:57
Caller ID. If the displayed number starts with 801, 888, or any similar combination commonly associated with commercial services, we simply don't answer :mark: .